Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,734 members, 7,824,081 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 10:10 PM

Canaanland Robbery: 2 Covenant Varsity Students, 4 Others Arrested - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Canaanland Robbery: 2 Covenant Varsity Students, 4 Others Arrested (9580 Views)

Dasuki, 4 Others Granted Bail / Lekki Robbery: 2,123 Policemen Were Securing Jonathan – Fashola / T.Y. Danjuma Wants Dokubo-Asari, Tompolo, Others Arrested (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Canaanland Robbery: 2 Covenant Varsity Students, 4 Others Arrested by Truequest(m): 5:54pm On Feb 12, 2008
Two students of Covenant University, Ota, Ogun State and four others have been arrested by the police in connection with the Thursday, January 31, 2008 robbery attack on four banks at Canaanland, Ota. Canaanland is the sprawling complex containing Winners Chapel, Covenant University and other missionary groups owned by Bishop David Oyedepo, the popular exponent of Christian faith.

The banks attacked are also located inside the complex.

P.M.News investigations this morning revealed that the suspects were arrested by a crack team of the Federal Special Anti-robbery Squad, Adeniji Adele at different locations in Lagos and Ogun states.

The two varsity suspects, detectives told P.M.News, were arrested at their hideouts in Lagos.

Detectives however, declined to release the names of the students, describing them as sons of influential figures in the society and that releasing their names could jeopardise their investigation.

Sophisticated guns, including AK 47 rifles were recovered from the students at various locations in Ogun State following information supplied by the students.

They were arrested at about 11:30 p.m. last Friday.

Investigations further revealed that detectives have launched a manhunt for four other suspects and a lady who participated in the attack.

Two policemen were killed by the robbers during the raid on Canaanland wile several people suffered various degrees injuries.

One of the robbers was also shot dead but was taken away by the robbers to conceal his identity.

Millions of naira was carted away from the vaults of the banks during the operation.

The suspects are still being detained in the cell of the Special Anti-Robbery Squad, Adeniji Adele, Lagos Island as at the time of filing this report.

Inspector-General of police, Mr. Mike Okiro had ordered federal special anti-robbery squad to fish out the culprits involved in the siege on Canaanland.

http://www.thenewsng.com/modules/news/article.php?storyid=4219
Re: Canaanland Robbery: 2 Covenant Varsity Students, 4 Others Arrested by Truequest(m): 6:00pm On Feb 12, 2008
Detectives however, declined to release the names of the students, describing them as sons of influential figures in the society and that releasing their names could jeopardise their investigation

This is one of the reasons why I refused to fault 4Him on the other thread:
sons of influential figures in the society

I can bet you that they are most likely not the members who contributed for the building of the School but those who fancied what is there and can afford tthe high cost.
Re: Canaanland Robbery: 2 Covenant Varsity Students, 4 Others Arrested by Gamine(f): 6:03pm On Feb 12, 2008
Lies!

CU students indeed
Re: Canaanland Robbery: 2 Covenant Varsity Students, 4 Others Arrested by Truequest(m): 6:07pm On Feb 12, 2008
Lies!

CU students indeed

That's ok but why not tell the police I guess they'll be interested.
Re: Canaanland Robbery: 2 Covenant Varsity Students, 4 Others Arrested by bibiking1(m): 6:34pm On Feb 12, 2008
Truequest:

That's ok but why not tell the police I guess they'll be interested.

Abeg no mind that girl jare,,,,,,,,,she just dey try protect that her filthy school

Anyway i be wan say, na for Nairaland na im police find evidence arrest those boys!
the evidence when dey that first thread reach to convict people o!!!!!!!!!!1
Re: Canaanland Robbery: 2 Covenant Varsity Students, 4 Others Arrested by Germannig: 7:32pm On Feb 12, 2008
I thought they were bringing up saints only in that university? Surprise that they were breeding sinners as well. Please mention their names o' jare, and lets have a hearty laugh.
Re: Canaanland Robbery: 2 Covenant Varsity Students, 4 Others Arrested by darfur(m): 7:46pm On Feb 12, 2008
expensive schools like that breeding crooks? hmmn, wahala dey o.

but why should the church be building schools sef? with all the immorality in the society i think the church already has a great task in guiding the society spiritually. soo great a task that they have not achived I0% of it yet(not their fault) so methinks they should focus seriously on that and not all these "distractions" as in schools, banks, etc. just a humble opinion though b4 some peeps release espirito santo fire on sudan grin
Re: Canaanland Robbery: 2 Covenant Varsity Students, 4 Others Arrested by Skywalker5(m): 8:26pm On Feb 12, 2008
Truequest:

I can bet you that they are most likely not the members who contributed for the building of the School but those who fancied what is there and can afford tthe high cost.
angry. What do you mean by this statement.Are the people who who contributed for the building of the School saints or whats your point of view? Are their kids saints? Well the News is just developing,we will hear more.

I wont be surprised if the case die down self.This one that they are hiding the names of the students claiming they are kids of influential people in the society.
Re: Canaanland Robbery: 2 Covenant Varsity Students, 4 Others Arrested by bibiking1(m): 8:35pm On Feb 12, 2008
Sky-walker:

angry. What do you mean by this statement.Are the people who who contributed for the building of the School saints or whats your point of view? Are their kids saints? Well the News is just developing,we will hear more.

[b]I wont be surprised if the case die down self.[/b]This one that they are hiding the names of the students claiming they are kids of influential people in the society.

Before Nko!
Are you not in Nigeria! But if you want inside gist, that Gamine girl should be able to provide it! grin grin grin grin
Re: Canaanland Robbery: 2 Covenant Varsity Students, 4 Others Arrested by Truequest(m): 2:12pm On Feb 13, 2008
What do you mean by this statement.Are the people who who contributed for the building of the School saints or whats your point of view? Are their kids saints? Well the News is just developing,we will hear more.

Not at exactly but then point was made in support of positions taken by a few contiributors in another thread that the school was built by the poor majority members of the church to serve the rich within and outside the church.
Re: Canaanland Robbery: 2 Covenant Varsity Students, 4 Others Arrested by Nobody: 3:45pm On Feb 13, 2008
I trust my Nigerian Police, they will always get to arrest people but you never hear of the actual Prosecution. Cover face
Re: Canaanland Robbery: 2 Covenant Varsity Students, 4 Others Arrested by fatherab1: 8:56am On Feb 15, 2008
I remember when Rimi's wife was murdered in kano, the police arrested her son and sister. Since then, I lost total confidence in our police. Arrests are to show the superiors that they are 'working' and sometimes to convince the victims that justice is on the way.

Although I dont doubt the possibility of CU students being suspects, I cant understand why some persons whose desires to attend such correct school but were not oppurtuned will take solace in criticising those who are oppurtuned to. Is it the if-u-dont-have-money-hate-those-who-do syndrome?
Re: Canaanland Robbery: 2 Covenant Varsity Students, 4 Others Arrested by Jakumo(m): 9:19am On Feb 15, 2008
Those Bible School students evidently decided against the notion of waiting to reach heaven in order to qualify for the thousandfold rewards promised them by their pastor in exchange for their donated cash, and so, invoking the vested holy powers inherent in the possession of infantry assault weapons, they went ahead and helped themselves to some of the pastor's effortlessly-earned church donation money.

The Good Lord works in mysterious ways indeed. Does this mean that the pastor will be forced to delay the upgrading of his corporate jet this year ? I hereby pledge to give the shirt off my back to ensure this abomination does not come to pass.

1 Like

Re: Canaanland Robbery: 2 Covenant Varsity Students, 4 Others Arrested by Nobody: 11:43am On Feb 15, 2008
Hi,

d Church has a role plan not only spiritually but in EDUCATION. Education goes with discipline, morals,etc.
I will like 2 warn dt u mind d way u talk about churches n men of God 2 avoid God's wrath.
4 those who invade Churches in d name of CAREER ROBBERS have curse= DEATH as dr portion.No man steals in God's house n go free whether police catch them or not they must pay.
Again, dem no dey write thief 4 face.CU admits students 2 study so if dy on dr own choose 2 steal n kill then , they must face d music.
I WISH THEM WEL IN HELL
Re: Canaanland Robbery: 2 Covenant Varsity Students, 4 Others Arrested by JustGood(m): 11:51am On Feb 15, 2008
abanna:

Hi,

d Church has a role plan not only spiritually but in EDUCATION. Education goes with discipline, morals,etc.
I will like 2 warn dt u mind d way u talk about churches n men of God 2 avoid God's wrath.
4 those who invade Churches in d name of CAREER ROBBERS have curse= DEATH as dr portion.No man steals in God's house n go free whether police catch them or not they must pay.
Again, them no dey write thief 4 face.CU admits students 2 study so if dy on dr own choose 2 steal n kill then , they must face d music.
I WISH THEM WEL IN HELL

HELLOOOOOOOOOOOOO wake up please.

What about those who use deceptive means to steal from poor Nigerians?
Re: Canaanland Robbery: 2 Covenant Varsity Students, 4 Others Arrested by oldie(m): 2:08pm On Feb 15, 2008
abanna:

Hi,

Again, them no dey write thief 4 face.CU admits students 2 study so if dy on dr own choose 2 steal n kill then , they must face d music.
I WISH THEM WEL IN HELL

Another example of "my God" mentality
So what happens to the pastors who steal in God's name and in "God's houses" daily?
A beg make I hear word jare
Re: Canaanland Robbery: 2 Covenant Varsity Students, 4 Others Arrested by 4Him(m): 5:02pm On Feb 15, 2008
abanna:

Hi,

no where in the bible do we see this nonsense. Jesus did not go about building schools for the little children neither did the early apostles.

abanna:

that is not in the bible also. It is the lie that ur men of Gawd have placed in ur heart to avoid being scrutinised. Paul rebuked Peter once for declaring the gentiles unclean.

abanna:

I WISH THEM WEL IN HELL

What happened to the biblical principles of grace, mercy and love? While we were yet worse sinners Christ died for the ungodly.
Remember the thief on the cross? did Christ wish him well in hell too?
Re: Canaanland Robbery: 2 Covenant Varsity Students, 4 Others Arrested by otele(m): 6:36pm On Feb 15, 2008
the bible said no evil deed goes unpunished. but the same bible said vengeance is mine(says the lord). so it is not for you to avenge the thieves. leave that to God. the bible gives you a role here. . . forgive. have you done that?
Re: Canaanland Robbery: 2 Covenant Varsity Students, 4 Others Arrested by Jakumo(m): 8:18pm On Feb 15, 2008
In Nigeria, deeply religious people are FAR MORE likely than anyone else to engage in fraud, deception and outright robbery simply because they can always confess their sins to God who will forgive them in exchange for a cash donation to a church or pastor, thus clearing the slate of all offenses in preparation for continued criminality in a repeating cycle.

Significantly too, religious felons are always ready to blame the devil for all crimes they commit, thus absolving themselves of responsibility for their own actions, which is very convenient indeed.
Re: Canaanland Robbery: 2 Covenant Varsity Students, 4 Others Arrested by 4Him(m): 12:15am On Feb 16, 2008
winnteam:

You all have to be careful the way you speak.

How many of you speaking against pastors are better than them? Do not judge! sad

are you suggesting these pastors are better than us mortals, beyond scrutiny and second only to Jesus Christ?

winnteam:

Truth be told, the missions have greatly contributed to the standard of education in this nation where the government that is saddled with the ssignment has failed woefully.

It is the fact that a vacuum was being created that a need arose to fill it

they filled this "vacuum" by building schools that only the rich and corrupt of the society can attend? Excellent!
Re: Canaanland Robbery: 2 Covenant Varsity Students, 4 Others Arrested by Gamine(f): 12:16am On Feb 16, 2008
Rich and Corrupt?

Now thats just not called for!

embarassed

ooh my days sad
Re: Canaanland Robbery: 2 Covenant Varsity Students, 4 Others Arrested by RDynamite(f): 12:26am On Feb 16, 2008
The fact that Bishop O, owns the school don't mean that everyone there is like him. Very shameful though.
Re: Canaanland Robbery: 2 Covenant Varsity Students, 4 Others Arrested by 4Him(m): 12:35am On Feb 16, 2008
Gamine:

Rich and Corrupt?

Now thats just not called for!

embarassed

ooh my days sad

you can squeeze your face till next week . . . its the unpalatable truth that the vast majority of those who call themselves rich in Nigeria obtained it by less than honest means.
how many children of the middle class can attend CU?
Re: Canaanland Robbery: 2 Covenant Varsity Students, 4 Others Arrested by Gamine(f): 12:42am On Feb 16, 2008
I am middle class

I attend CU

So many of us,

its not been easy

but our parents try

it gets tougher every year but theres no choice who wan drop out after dropping that kain money undecided

So don't go about generalising these things
building schools that only the rich and corrupt of the society can attend?
han han
Re: Canaanland Robbery: 2 Covenant Varsity Students, 4 Others Arrested by RDynamite(f): 12:43am On Feb 16, 2008
4Him, you could be very blunt sometimes . wink
Re: Canaanland Robbery: 2 Covenant Varsity Students, 4 Others Arrested by TheSly: 12:47am On Feb 16, 2008

how many children of the middle class can attend CU?

true!. . . . . even sum hapless nigerians finds it very difficult to attend the government's Unis., let alone CU

truth is bitter though but thats just the fact!. . . . cool
Re: Canaanland Robbery: 2 Covenant Varsity Students, 4 Others Arrested by Jakumo(m): 6:39am On Feb 16, 2008
Nigerians have GOT to be one of the easiest group of people to scam, which is supremely ironic considering that Nigerians are renowned worldwide for fraud and criminality,

Just throw on a dog collar and smock, quote some obscure chit from the bible, and Nigerians will bankrupt themselves in a frenzy to donate all they have to you, simply because you are deceitful enough to claim to be God's closest buddy.

Those robbers who made off with church funds were only taking the money-grubbing pastors "fleece the flock" philosophy to the next level, and as such they were simply engaged in doing "God's Work" , in the true Nigerian sense of the term.
Re: Canaanland Robbery: 2 Covenant Varsity Students, 4 Others Arrested by RDynamite(f): 1:43pm On Feb 16, 2008
Jakumo, na you get ur mouth.
Re: Canaanland Robbery: 2 Covenant Varsity Students, 4 Others Arrested by otele(m): 2:12pm On Feb 16, 2008
has anybody tried to pray for the robbers? for them to repent and for the poverty which probably made them steal to get out of their lives? those thieves can repent and become pastors tomorow. has anyone considered that?
Re: Canaanland Robbery: 2 Covenant Varsity Students, 4 Others Arrested by Jakumo(m): 2:20pm On Feb 16, 2008
Otele the arrested thieves are in fact pastors in training, which is hardly surprising, since in Nigeria the line of distinction between men of the cloth and men of the underworld is so thin as to be invisible.
Re: Canaanland Robbery: 2 Covenant Varsity Students, 4 Others Arrested by Gamine(f): 2:57pm On Feb 16, 2008
Its not easy to pray for wicked people like that
But its the right thing to do sad
Re: Canaanland Robbery: 2 Covenant Varsity Students, 4 Others Arrested by Jakumo(m): 3:03pm On Feb 16, 2008
While you are praying for me, Deaconess Gamine, could you try and hook me up with a gig where I can relieve people of of their hard-earned cash in exchange for my empty promises of virgins and vast wealth in heaven ?

I already have the elaborate regalia that I'll be wearing for the racket, but I still lack a teeming congregation of rich but gullible givers to make my dream come true.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Chinua Achebe Burial – Live Blog / The Real Meaning Of "Sai Buhari", This Might Just Shock You / Are These The Ancestors Of Igbo Jews? Amazing Pictures From 1000 BC.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.