Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,800 members, 7,810,080 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:16 PM

Showdown At Ota Bridge Commissioning ! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Showdown At Ota Bridge Commissioning ! (9482 Views)

Iara Oshiomhole At The Commissioning Of Uju Romi Ultra Modern Market (Pics) / Commissioning Of 750MW Olorunsogo Power Plant: Showing Live On AIT / Commissioning Of 4 Nigerian Navy Warships By President Jonathan (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Showdown At Ota Bridge Commissioning ! by wales(m): 6:10am On Jul 30, 2010
The power play between Ogun State Governor, Otunba Gbenga Daniel and the Speaker of the House of Representatives, Hon. Dimeji Bankole, robbed the shine off the commissioning of the long-abandoned Sango-Ota bridge, in Ogun State yesterday, as the ceremony almost resulted in a bloody clash.

Ex-President Olusegun Obasanjo had awarded the contract for the construction of the bridge as part of the dualisation of the Ota-Abeokuta Road. The project was, however, not completed before Obasanjo left office in 2007. The bridge project was abandoned for many months, while residents of the area and travellers suffered untold hardship.

Hopes were, however, kindled late last year when the Speaker influenced the Federal Government to release funds and the contractors, Julius Berger, returned to complete the abandoned project.
The Speaker had also on several occasions visited the site, assuring the people that the project would be completed, while the residents grappled with bad adjoining roads, which the state government had also abandoned.

Apparently elated that he had scored a political victory with the Sango-Ota bridge, Bankole had issued a statement, announcing that the project would be inaugurated on Thursday.
Governor Daniel and the Minister of Works, Senator Sanusi Daggash had arrived the ceremony earlier than the Speaker and taken their seats not too far from the Olota of Ota, Oba Moshood Alani Oloyede.

No sooner had he taken his seat than the governor’s supporters, carrying placards of aspirants in the forthcoming elections, called on the governor to address them. Daniel, while addressing the gathering, made some scathing remarks about Bankole, but did not mention the Speaker’s name.
Amidst the hailing of the governor by his supporters, Bankole’s arrival at the venue also enlivened the area, as many residents hailed him for facilitating the completion of the abandoned bridge.
The Speaker was inspecting the project and trekking down to where the governor and the minister sat.

Then drama ensued as the minister and governor sighted the Speaker and hurriedly moved to commission the bridge without waiting for the Speaker to join them. Both Governor Daniel and Daggash, after the inauguration of the project, went straight into the waiting white Coaster bus, bearing the state government’s number plate. The Speaker, who was visibly disappointed at the action, forced his way to meet the governor amidst tight security, apparently to express his displeasure.

The development almost resulted in a bloody face-off between the governor and Speaker’s security guards and aides, while the guests scampered for safety. Immediate the Speaker disembarked from the governor’s bus after about three minutes tete-a-tete and headed for his official car, miscreants who had converged on the scene took advantage of the rowdy situation and began unleashing terror on the people.

There was pandemonium as guests and residents ran for their lives with the miscreants throwing chairs. When the scene became too rowdy, the Oba Oyede and other traditional rulers took to their heels with their chiefs. Meanwhile, the Federal Government has awarded the third phase of the bridge to Julius Berger despite the un-completed phase two of the project.
In his remarks, the minister apologized for the delay in the execution of the phase two, adding that the third phase would not be prolonged.

He stated that Julius Berger would complete the last aspect of the project within the next 15 months and described the project as economic infrastructure, which would enhance economic development of both Lagos and Ogun states. The Speaker, who arrived the Presidential lounge of the Lagos Airport in a convoy of cars, after the ceremony, looked slightly ruffled, and spoke on the incident before returning to Abuja. As he alighted, he went straight into the inner chamber to have some rest.

When he eventually spoke to Aviation correspondents, Bankole said there was no problem among himself, the works minister and Daniel, stressing that his desire was to ensure Ogun State enjoyed as much Federal Government support as possible. He also denied the rumour that he had threatened to sack the minister, adding, “ask him. He should tell you if it is true or not.

“There was no fracas in Ota, I cannot remember whether anything like that happened. We went to commission a bridge and that was all that happened. I did not see or witness any drama; we only commissioned a bridge; that is all I can remember.

“As an indigene of Ogun State, I am committed to seeing federal presence in the state. That is my commitment. I do not have powers to sack any minister. How can I do that? All I can tell you is that there was no drama and we commissioned a bridge, nothing less,” he explained.

http://www.sunnewsonline.com/webpages/news/national/2010/july/30/national-07-30-2010-001.htm

Re: Showdown At Ota Bridge Commissioning ! by wales(m): 6:20am On Jul 30, 2010
Bankole fights Daniel in Ota !

The disagreement between the Speaker of the House of Representatives, Dimeji Bankole, and Ogun State governor, Gbenga Daniel, led to a public brawl yesterday during the commissioning of the overhead bridge constructed by the federal government at Ota, Ogun State.

The programme had kicked off before the arrival of the Speaker, and Mr Daniel, who came with a large entourage, has spend some time delivering a speech which was largely disparaging to the speaker. The Minister of Works, Sanusi Daggash and his minister of state, Osa Ogiemwonyi were both at the occasion although the town’s most famous resident and former president, Olusegun Obasanjo, did not show up at the event.

Mr Daniel quickly cut short his speech when an aide told him that Mr Bankole had finally arrived at the venue.

In his speech, the governor had made allusions to the speaker’s alleged quest for cheap glory and dabbling in the state’s affairs, instead of striving to get the best out of his office in the few months remaining for his tenure to end.

The road project was started about ten years ago by the government of Mr Obasanjo, but it was abandoned half way and Mr Bankole had began the campaign to complete work, during a well-publicised visit to the town last year.

“Tell the Speaker, to stop claiming responsibility for the construction,” said Mr Daniel in his speech. “The project was started by the former president, Olusegun Obasanjo, Ebora Owu, and we want to thank him. Tell my junior brother, the speaker that he should do something before his tenure lapsed, we all have less than few months to leave office,” he said.

Hurried commissioning

As Mr Bankole arrived the venue, a loud ovation was heard from his supporters but before he could even come down from his car, the governor hurriedly concluded his speech and headed straight to cut the tape of the commissioning.

Apparently sensing mischief, the Speaker moved to the tape cutting spot, but he was obstructed by one of the security aides to Mr Daniel. Mr Bankole pushed him aside and hurried towards the dais. But before he reached there, Mr Daggash, in company of the governor, moved quickly to cut the tape for the commissioning.

As this drama unfolded, the atmosphere became tense as security aides to both parties began waving their guns dangerously, creating more disorder. The charged atmosphere forced many people to run for safety and avoid any harm which might result from the fracas.

Among those who fled for their lives was the traditional ruler of Ota town, Alani Oloyede. The royal father had to tuck in his flowing gown, or agbada, as he fled the scene in the midst of his chiefs.

As the speaker moved to confront the governor, Mr Daniel and the ministers were hurriedly led into the official bus by their aides. Mr Bankole headed straight for the white coaster bus and ordered an aide to call the minister, Mr Daggash. The aide returned moments later to say the minister wouldn’t come out because he was speaking with the governor.

Shouting bout

In annoyance, Mr Bankole forced his way into the bus where he engaged in a shouting bout with Mr Daniel. The tainted glasses of the bus prevented onlookers from getting a clear view, but Mr Bankole could be seen ordering the driver of the bus not to move an inch. Noises were also heard from the bus for the 3-4 minutes the speaker was in the bus. As soon as he came out, the governor and his crew immediately left.

Mr Bankole was however loudly praised and hailed by indigenes of Ota, who were also seen throwing objects at the governor’s bus and booing him.

Mr Daggash, in his speech, said the third phase of the project would commence in the next two months, to pave way for the completion of the project.

“In the next two months, the third project will start. The next phase would not be delayed like the second phase. This is important for the benefits of all Nigerians passing through this road.”

http://234next.com/csp/cms/sites/Next/News/National/5600268-146/bankole_fights_daniel_in_ota_.csp

Re: Showdown At Ota Bridge Commissioning ! by Nobody: 7:03am On Jul 30, 2010
[b]Still its a big relief that is bridge is finally commissioned. It will save commuters a great deal of time. I spend about 30 minutes to 1 hr moving through the route whenever Im headed to Otta or Ifo and spend longer minutes when driving back to my office in Agbado area.
Senator Bankole has been extremely instrumental in the completion of this project, and his presence should have been warmly acknowledged. Gov Gbenga Daniel needs to understand that Senator Bankole is still a guest and shouldnt treat him as a political rival in such a public occasion.
Senator Bankole should understand that humility and patience is required to go to places beyond been the House Speaker. Showing a little restrain wouldnt have given the press such a ball, and would have shown him as been matured.
I am glad both men trashed out their difference, I wish they really got down to it, but im sure the rough handling will calm down nerves. Its been long overdue. My best friend and I once beat the hell out of oneanother, and he gave me a broken arm. But today, his fight is mine as mine is his. Both men need to start seeing the benefit that could come from their unity not difference.
God bless Nigeria.
[/b]
Re: Showdown At Ota Bridge Commissioning ! by tkb417(m): 7:14am On Jul 30, 2010
so how many versions are we gonna believe

as a matter of fact, Bankole is not fit, capable to talk to Dagash the way it was reported on the other thread

den no even born am well

like i knew different versions would spring up

lol

Bankole who? na small boi o
Re: Showdown At Ota Bridge Commissioning ! by aieromon(m): 7:54am On Jul 30, 2010
Baboons in human form undecided
Re: Showdown At Ota Bridge Commissioning ! by wales(m): 8:39am On Jul 30, 2010
It is completely disgusting that Leaders fight for cheap glory! If because of a bridge, Mr. Gbenga Daniel can rush at glory, what then will happen if he was saving a poor child in Ogun state or paying teacher's salaries. People are hungry and angry, OGD is fighting for a bridge. I can't laugh enough. OOU staff members are troubled. Too many sack letters to add more to our jobless population, are not enough? OGD! OGD! OGD! Remember tomorrow, today will expire (if you ever have time to read these sincere comments) I wish I knew why Dijemi Bankole took the matter serious.
Re: Showdown At Ota Bridge Commissioning ! by dustydee: 9:45am On Jul 30, 2010
@aasog
is Bankole a senator?
Re: Showdown At Ota Bridge Commissioning ! by sayso: 11:59am On Jul 30, 2010
I no wan read tori,wey the photo?na im I wan see
Re: Showdown At Ota Bridge Commissioning ! by maxtop(m): 12:07pm On Jul 30, 2010
power tussle, end of part 1,part 2 start soon !!! ;d
Re: Showdown At Ota Bridge Commissioning ! by Nobody: 12:26pm On Jul 30, 2010
sayso:

I no wan read tori,wey the photo?na im I wan see
"Blessed are those; who have not seen and yet believed"
Re: Showdown At Ota Bridge Commissioning ! by seyenko(m): 12:27pm On Jul 30, 2010
I think Bankole is the vying for Adedibu's vacant post
Re: Showdown At Ota Bridge Commissioning ! by otokx(m): 12:29pm On Jul 30, 2010
Why should a bridge have phase 1, 2 and 3? is is a 10 lane double decker bridge?
Re: Showdown At Ota Bridge Commissioning ! by GOZILLA(m): 12:36pm On Jul 30, 2010
There are many versions to the story.Ait reported that the speaker arrived after the bridge was commissioned.On getting there speaker got angry that nobody waited for him to arrive b/4 commissioning the bridge,which led to a fracas.
Re: Showdown At Ota Bridge Commissioning ! by patrick45(m): 12:37pm On Jul 30, 2010
Bankole is from Ogun state, He is aspiring for the No. 1 seat of power in Ogun state
Re: Showdown At Ota Bridge Commissioning ! by violent(m): 12:43pm On Jul 30, 2010
I wish someone threw a punch!
Re: Showdown At Ota Bridge Commissioning ! by usbcable(m): 1:01pm On Jul 30, 2010
pandemonium, over the commisioning of a bridge.and not a mega bridge,
when would our leaders just focus on what they are being paid MILLIONS for, proper adequate and efficient governance.
God help us in this country.
Re: Showdown At Ota Bridge Commissioning ! by ALAKANNI(m): 1:03pm On Jul 30, 2010
It is just a shame that Gbenga Daniel should behave the way he did. Where was Gbenga Daniel when the bridge was abandoned? It took the intervention of Dimeji Bankole as a son of the State before the Julius Berger returned to site. Age is no issue when it comes to governance, Protocol should be followed. For God's sake Dimeji Bankole is no. 4 Citizen of this Country and He should not be treated the way he was treated. It is a big shame on Gbenga Daniel for being petty and mixing protocol with Governance.   shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: Showdown At Ota Bridge Commissioning ! by tomidayspring: 1:12pm On Jul 30, 2010

THIS IS THE AUTHENTIC REPORT OF WHAT TRANSPIRED!

Bankole was furious because he was tired of Daniel calling him names so he wanted a public boxing match to settle the matter once and for all (Dont forget he has been trained for that by the likes of Dino melaye in the house of reps) . But Daniel would never fight because he didnt bring his charms and amulet hence he ran inside the bus. My firm has been contacted to organize a befitting rematch ,you can contact me for date and venue if you love good boxing. watch out for the next episode it will be brutal oooo!
Re: Showdown At Ota Bridge Commissioning ! by matoyeh(m): 1:14pm On Jul 30, 2010
grin
grin
lol
I cant laugh,
Re: Showdown At Ota Bridge Commissioning ! by yemstrad(f): 1:18pm On Jul 30, 2010
tkb417:

so how many versions are we gonna believe

as a matter of fact, Bankole is not fit, capable to talk to Dagash the way it was reported on the other thread

den no even born am well

like i knew different versions would spring up

lol

Bankole who? na small boi o

I don't know if you are a politician cos i am not. Do you know it took Bankole's intervention before this bridge was completed. I go through that bridge every other day and the least time you can spend there will be around 45mins to 1 hr. Where was Gbenga Daniel then?

Again, be quick to listen but be careful and thoughtful to respond. The parts marked out in your post above could be dangerous bwoy.
Re: Showdown At Ota Bridge Commissioning ! by tkb417(m): 1:32pm On Jul 30, 2010
^^^ dangerous to who?

i dont get news of Ogun state on NL

im friggin fcking stakeholder

Do i need to consult an oracle to call Bankole a smallie? in Political fora in egba, can he show face?

did someone say he wants to be the Guvnor?
i laff in mandarin

bro, leave stoy for matthias, i dont speak on what i do not know

this is my A.O.C ( ogun politics) and pls, refrain from responding to who you do not know

it might be pretty dangerous - FACT!!!!
Re: Showdown At Ota Bridge Commissioning ! by Okijajuju1(m): 1:34pm On Jul 30, 2010
The most important part of the story is that the bridge is ready for use.
Re: Showdown At Ota Bridge Commissioning ! by Acidosis(m): 1:39pm On Jul 30, 2010
We breed nefarious and notorious political goats.
Re: Showdown At Ota Bridge Commissioning ! by yemstrad(f): 1:43pm On Jul 30, 2010
tkb417:

^^^ dangerous to who?

i dont get news of Ogun state on NL

im friggin fcking stakeholder

Do i need to consult an oracle to call Bankole a smallie? in Political fora in egba, can he show face?

did someone say he wants to be the Guvnor?
i laff in mandarin

bro, leave stoy for matthias, i dont speak on what i do not know

this is my A.O.C ( ogun politics) and pls, refrain from responding to who you do not know

it might be pretty dangerous - FACT!!!!

That means you know every other person on NL and that is why you can respond to any post here. I laughed at your last submission up there bwoy. You will not stop amusing me dear. Well, just think about what i said earlier. It could be a wise step after all.

1 Like

Re: Showdown At Ota Bridge Commissioning ! by Nobody: 2:01pm On Jul 30, 2010
padi lol, na wa 4 nigeria grin grin grin grin
Re: Showdown At Ota Bridge Commissioning ! by adedayo79: 2:02pm On Jul 30, 2010
THEY ARE BOTH THE SAME.
YEYE THIEVES
Re: Showdown At Ota Bridge Commissioning ! by Akosbaba(m): 2:08pm On Jul 30, 2010
First it was amosun,then obasanjo,then bankole,who next mr daniel?cos from the hailings by the populace,it's obvious bankole had a hand in the completion of that bridge.
Re: Showdown At Ota Bridge Commissioning ! by SSaemoenl(m): 2:10pm On Jul 30, 2010
They should go and buried their faces in infamy. tongue
Re: Showdown At Ota Bridge Commissioning ! by Nobody: 2:20pm On Jul 30, 2010
This stupid OGD is just wasting his time, very soon, he will be exposed for what he really is - a scammer.

IBB will use and dump him.  Mark my words.

He has contributed absolutely NOTHING to the construction of that important bridge and to the state as a whole.
Re: Showdown At Ota Bridge Commissioning ! by tkb417(m): 2:40pm On Jul 30, 2010
yemstrad:

That means you know every other person on NL and that is why you can respond to any post here. I laughed at your last submission up there bwoy. You will not stop amusing me dear. Well, just think about what i said earlier. It could be a wise step after all.
wtf is this?
stop foaming in the mouth

dont go about spewing fckery like u and i na buddy; stick to topic

if u have got nothn to contribute; scram
Re: Showdown At Ota Bridge Commissioning ! by mylove4him(f): 2:45pm On Jul 30, 2010
Two of a kind, one is an occultist and the other is a thieve. So what is the difference, I suffered when I was using that road to work but thank God I was delivered from it when he gave me another job.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Another Occupy Nigeria Protester Killed In Gasau, Zamfara? / Best Performing Governor On Infrastructure: Oke Umurhohwo Congratulates Okowa / APC-Merger: ANPP Members Call For Suspension

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.