Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,833 members, 7,810,208 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:53 PM

Nigeria Anti-corruption Index Improves - TI 2012 Report - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria Anti-corruption Index Improves - TI 2012 Report (8233 Views)

Emefiele Should Resign - Save Nigeria Anti-Corruption Initiative / 2016 Corruption Index: Nigeria Ranked 136 Out Of 168 / Politicisation Of Boko Haram Insurgency, Bane Of Nigeria’s Anti-terror Fight (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria Anti-corruption Index Improves - TI 2012 Report by Nobody: 9:00am On Dec 05, 2012
Slow but Steady, Nigeria is making progress.

Nigeria remained rooted to the bottom of the global corruption ranking Wednesday as global corruption watchdog, Transparency International, rated it the 35th most corrupt country in the world.

In a report released at 6 a.m. Wednesday, Nigeria scored 27 out of a maximum 100 marks to clinch the 139th position out of the 176 countries surveyed for the report. It shared that position with Azerbaijan, Kenya, Nepal and Pakistan.

Countries such as Togo, Mali, Niger and Benin fared better than Nigeria.

Nigeria placed 143rd in the 2011 ranking, making it the 37th most corrupt country. It is difficult to say Nigeria has improved in the ranking this year because 182, six more than this year’s, were ranked in 2011.

This year’s index ranks 176 countries/territories by their perceived levels of public sector corruption, TI explained in the report.

The index draws on 13 surveys covering expert assessments and surveys of businesspeople.

The Corruption Perceptions Index is the leading indicator of public sector corruption, offering a yearly snapshot of the relative degree of the corruption problem by ranking countries from all over the globe.

Nigeria’s woeful performance in this year’s survey is not entirely surprising.
http://premiumtimesng.com/news/109853-nigeria-is-35th-most-corrupt-in-the-world-says-transparency-international-2012-report.html

In 2011 Transparency Report, Nigeria scored 2.4 when rated from 0 to 10, while in 2012 Nigeria was scored 27(or 2.7) when rated from 0 to 100(or 0 to 10)
Nationsonline, 2011:
The Transparency International’s Corruption Perception Index 2011 has ranked Nigeria 143th of 183 countries.
The index scores 183 countries and territories from 0 (highly corrupt) to 10 (very clean) based on perceived levels of public sector corruption. It uses data from 17 surveys that look at factors, such as enforcement of anti-corruption laws, access to information and conflicts of interest.
Two thirds of ranked countries score less than 5. Nigeria scored 2.4.
Ghana is ranked 69, with a score of 3.9. South Africa is 64, with a score of 4.1. New Zealand, Denmark, Finland, Sweden and Singapore occupy the first five slots.
http://www.thenationonlineng.net/2011/index.php/news/28348-transparency-international-ranks-nigeria-143th-on-corruption-index.html
Re: Nigeria Anti-corruption Index Improves - TI 2012 Report by Nobody: 9:11am On Dec 05, 2012
This is one GOOD NEWS. Moderator pls front page. Pls! We are not yet there but little progress is being made. Hopefully 2013 will be FAR BETTER
Re: Nigeria Anti-corruption Index Improves - TI 2012 Report by nedu2000(m): 9:26am On Dec 05, 2012
Statistics,statistics,statistics,if they like they should place us in 1st or 176th position,its what is on ground that matters.......same way I shove aside FIFA rankings

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Anti-corruption Index Improves - TI 2012 Report by jmaine: 9:33am On Dec 05, 2012
okay .. . . .watch folks side step this thread cos the ranking disappointed them by not been worse . . . .

@ Badnews hunters and mastvbators
Re: Nigeria Anti-corruption Index Improves - TI 2012 Report by Nobody: 9:53am On Dec 05, 2012
Dear Moderator,if bad news make front page, good news should also make front page. Pls do the right thing.
Re: Nigeria Anti-corruption Index Improves - TI 2012 Report by jmaine: 9:58am On Dec 05, 2012
Sincere 9gerian: Dear Moderator,if bad news make front page, good news should also make front page. Pls do the right thing.

Go to the complaint thread, reference and recommend the thread for the homepage
Re: Nigeria Anti-corruption Index Improves - TI 2012 Report by PointB: 10:07am On Dec 05, 2012
I think contrary to the hate campaign by the opposition media and their agents in cyberspace, the International World (Transparency International for example) recognize the fact that the first step in fighting corruption is via transparency (no pun intended). The present government deliberate policy of exposing the rot in the oil and other sectors is very remarkable. It gives the population the opportunity to see for themselves, the corrupt practices enshrined over time, and well covered up by past governments in Nigeria, with options and solutions for dealing with them - i.e. full subsidy removal, deregulation, reform, transformation, privatization, budget cuts and tightening.

While the media may not appreciate the import of this (transparency) due to their partisan agenda, Transparency International, the world foremost corruption rating agency does, and rightly so.

Kudos to the Government for this improvement, even if it is marginal.

10 Likes

Re: Nigeria Anti-corruption Index Improves - TI 2012 Report by jmaine: 10:13am On Dec 05, 2012
Double post
Re: Nigeria Anti-corruption Index Improves - TI 2012 Report by jmaine: 10:14am On Dec 05, 2012
PointB: I think contrary to the hate campaign by the opposition media and their agents in cyberspace, the International World (Transparency International for example) recognize the fact that the first step in fighting corruption is via transparency (no pun intended). The present government deliberate policy of exposing the rot in the oil and other sectors is very remarkable. It gives the population the opportunity to see for themselves, the corrupt practices enshrined over time, and well covered up by past governments in Nigeria, with options and solutions to dealing with them - i.e. full subsidy removal, deregulation, reform, transformation, privatization, budget cuts and tightening.

While the media may not appreciate the import of this (transparency) due to their partisan agenda, Transparency International, the world foremost corruption rating agency does, and rightly so.

Kudos to the Government for this improvement, even if it is marginal.

Affirmed . . . . .
Re: Nigeria Anti-corruption Index Improves - TI 2012 Report by Nobody: 10:25am On Dec 05, 2012
jmaine:

Go to the complaint thread, reference and recommend the thread for the homepage
Thanks
Re: Nigeria Anti-corruption Index Improves - TI 2012 Report by karlmax2: 10:47am On Dec 05, 2012
I expected to see those clowns that called this government all sorts of name. When. The result of 2011 was posted on this forum by some disgruntled retards who call themselves critic.go and tell ur paymasters that come 2015 their lies and deceits would be exposed for all to see. nigerians are gettin wiser now you can say what u want about this government they still remain the best so far.just travelled to east with my car and the ore-benin express road is wearing a better look compared to the 8years a certain OBJ spent in office and work is still on going this decemeber a lot of people travelling to the east would travel and praise this administration and the press is not reporting about the massive work going on there all they write about is propoganda payed for by the opposition.
Re: Nigeria Anti-corruption Index Improves - TI 2012 Report by karlmax2: 10:55am On Dec 05, 2012
I will keep pushing this thread till I get a response from those simpletons respond they knw themselves
Re: Nigeria Anti-corruption Index Improves - TI 2012 Report by karlmax2: 11:13am On Dec 05, 2012
They read the news but too ashamed to comment.if the headline had read NIGERIA ANTICORRUPTION INDEX reduce. The witches would be all over the thread .now that all their fallacy about this government being the most corrupt and not doing enough about corruption has been disproved by TI.come 2015 they would abandon nairaland the way they're avoiding this thread then the Good work of this government would be seen by nigerians and the international community.

7 Likes

Re: Nigeria Anti-corruption Index Improves - TI 2012 Report by bubadaniel13: 11:21am On Dec 05, 2012
karl max: They read the news but too ashamed to comment.if the headline had read NIGERIA ANTICORRUPTION INDEX reduce. The witches would be all over the thread .now that all their fallacy about this government being the most corrupt and not doing enough about corruption has been disproved by TI.come 2015 they would abandon nairaland the way they're avoiding this thread then the Good work of this government would be seen by nigerians and the international community.
My brother our orientation is faulty in this country,i wonder why people like bad news instead of goodnews, at least the efforts of this administration in fighting corruption is paying off we must commend them on this but we need to see more corrupt people prosecuted.
Re: Nigeria Anti-corruption Index Improves - TI 2012 Report by Nobody: 11:25am On Dec 05, 2012
nedu2000: Statistics,statistics,statistics,if they like they should place us in 1st or 176th position,its what is on ground that matters.......same way I shove aside FIFA rankings
My friend, it is from what is on ground that statistics are derived from.
Re: Nigeria Anti-corruption Index Improves - TI 2012 Report by takedat(m): 11:28am On Dec 05, 2012
Its commendable though Government will need to be more consistent. This doesn't diminish the public perception that public office holders and civil servants are corrupt not until we start running an open government. The fight against graft should be seen and not on some committees recommendations, probe panel reports or white papers!

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Anti-corruption Index Improves - TI 2012 Report by FrankC3: 11:33am On Dec 05, 2012
take dat: Its commendable though Government will need to be more consistent and transparent. This doesn't diminish the public perception that public office holders and civil servants are corrupt not until we start running an open government. The fight against graft should be seen and not on some committees recommendations or white papers!

Talking about open government, let me repeat a question i have never received answers to. How much does Fashola spend on food per year? How much does Obama, Camero, Hollande and Ghanaian governments spend on food per annum. We know that states collect a percentage of the savings of of the SURE fund. How is YOUR state governor using his share of it. Answers to this will tell you how much progress we have made in running an open government.

7 Likes

Re: Nigeria Anti-corruption Index Improves - TI 2012 Report by bubadaniel13: 11:38am On Dec 05, 2012
Frank-C:

Talking about open government, let me repeat a question i have never received answers to. How much does Fashola spend on food per year? How much does Obama, Camero, Hollande and Ghanaian governments spend on food per annum. We know that states collect a percentage of the savings of of the SURE fund. How is YOUR state governor using his share of it. Answers to this will tell you how much progress we have made in running an open government.
that's a very pertinent question,most we dwell so much on the federal govt forgetting completely that we have state governors who are holding sway without been question..Na wah for Naija oh..

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Anti-corruption Index Improves - TI 2012 Report by Nobody: 11:43am On Dec 05, 2012
bubadaniel13: My brother our orientation is faulty in this country,i wonder why people like bad news instead of goodnews, at least the efforts of this administration in fighting corruption is paying off we must commend them on this but we need to see more corrupt people prosecuted.
Thank you my brother/sis. Nobody is celebrating that Nig has arrived. But what some of us are saying is that there are some POSITIVE changes. We acknowledge these changes and at the same time urge the govt to do more. What I find unacceptable is the claim that things are getting worse. For instance, where I reside, power supply is better today than it was last yr; our airports are being renovated; cost of governance is coming down; our elections are better organised; the trains are moving again in several cities; foreign reserve is increasing; excess crude account is increasing; naira is stable; our roads are currently recieving attention; etc. Add to all of these is the refreshing news of Transparency International latest(2012) report which showed that Nigeria improved marginally this year, with a score of 2.7 as against 2.4 of 2011 and climbed UP the ladder by 4 places. This TI rating is important because the sort of propaganda by Punch, SR, El Rufai, Pastor Bakare, Premium times and co in the last few months mislead some shallow minded persons to think corruption in Nig is worsening. Yes we still have challenges,especially the CONTRIVED boko haram problem. Hopefully, the govt will find a way of bringing the boko haram onslaught to an end.

7 Likes

Re: Nigeria Anti-corruption Index Improves - TI 2012 Report by takedat(m): 11:44am On Dec 05, 2012
Frank-C:

Isn't that what we should all push boundaries for? The system we run is too opaque hence the enormous corruption. Note that the Transparency International ratings is based on a survey of corruption "perception" index.
On the Sure P fund, how do you expect Nigerians to perceive and have faith in it when the chairman of the committee recently said the committee spent over N2 billion on "secretariat services" in less than a year. Over to you!

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Anti-corruption Index Improves - TI 2012 Report by takedat(m): 11:57am On Dec 05, 2012
@Sincere9gerian, while its commendable that we've made tangible progress, this isn't worth celebrating yet. In 2011, Nigeria ranked 143 out of 182 while in 2012 we ranked 139 out of 176 so our moving up 4 places is partly due to the Fact that survey wasn't carried out in 6 countries for 2012 though our score improved. Note that The Corruption Perception Index is not designed to allow for Country Scores to be compared over time. This is because the index draws on a Country's Rank in the original data sources, rather than its Score.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Anti-corruption Index Improves - TI 2012 Report by Nobody: 12:18pm On Dec 05, 2012
take dat: @Sincere9gerian, while its commendable that we've made tangible progress, this isn't worth celebrating. In 2011, Nigeria ranked 143 out of 183 while in 2012 we ranked 139 out of 176 so our moving up 4 places is partly due to the Fact that survey wasn't carried out in 7 countries for 2012
That is another STUPID propaganda to discredit whatever gain has been made by this govt. There is NO EVIDENCE to support that propaganda. The 7 countries that were not included in 2012, were they ahead of Nigeria or below Nigeria in the ranking of 2011? If all the 7 countries were ahead of Nigeria, then the propaganda might make some sense but that is almost IMPOSSIBLE. If on the other hand, these countries were below Nig in 2011, then their non inclusion in 2012 would have had no consequence on Nig climbing up 4 places. Because for Nig to climb up, it has to displace only countries above it. I'll do more research to find out the 7 countries that were not included in 2012 and their position in 2011. However, what is INCONTROVERTIBLE is the FACT that Nig scored 2.7 in 2012 and 2.4 in 2011. 2.7 is DEFINITELY an improvement over 2.4. This scoring is INDEPENDENT of the total number of countries surveyed.
Re: Nigeria Anti-corruption Index Improves - TI 2012 Report by GARRIx7(m): 12:24pm On Dec 05, 2012
Great.... This is Good news!!!

I think the next step will ßξ to start jailing the thieves.....
Re: Nigeria Anti-corruption Index Improves - TI 2012 Report by takedat(m): 12:34pm On Dec 05, 2012
@Sincere9gerian, I didn't know you are dyslexic. If you had taken your time to discern my post probably you wouldn't have made your silly assertion that my post smacks of propaganda. I earlier commended our progress and added that our "Ranking" is partly due to the number of countries surveyed in 2011 and 2012 respectively. I did not rubbish our "Score".

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Anti-corruption Index Improves - TI 2012 Report by Nobody: 12:58pm On Dec 05, 2012
take dat: @Sincere9gerian, I didn't no you are dyslexic. If you had taken your time to discern my post probably you wouldn't have made your silly assertion that my post smacks of propaganda. I earlier commended our progress and added that our "Position" is partly due to the number of countries surveyed in 2011 and 2012 respectively. I did not rubbish our "Score".
Sorry, I wasn't refering to you. I was refering to Premium Times.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Anti-corruption Index Improves - TI 2012 Report by Nobody: 1:03pm On Dec 05, 2012
Dear Moderator, is good news now an offence? Kindly help us move this thread to the front page. TI is the biggest rating organisation in terms of corruption
Re: Nigeria Anti-corruption Index Improves - TI 2012 Report by Joeadamu86: 1:10pm On Dec 05, 2012
Sincere 9gerian: Dear Moderator, is good news now an offence? Kindly help us move this thread to the front page. TI is the biggest rating organisation in terms of corruption
Cheer up my guy,its like we are allergic to goodnews in nigeria,even in normal life something good will happen and nobody will hear anything but when there is bad news people celebrate it..dont worry whether it makes front page or not i think we are going somwhere...
Re: Nigeria Anti-corruption Index Improves - TI 2012 Report by taharqa: 1:24pm On Dec 05, 2012
Re: Nigeria Anti-corruption Index Improves - TI 2012 Report by Demdem(m): 1:53pm On Dec 05, 2012
Based on TI index, Retardeen seems to be waking up oooo. This is good.
i want it to be sustained. Its still extremely very poor.
Hopefully when all those subsidy thieves that includes those in the govt and Madueke herself that oversees the rot are in jail, our score will go higher undecided
Good one for Ebele.

CPI score 2008 - 2.7
CPI score 2009 - 2.5
CPI score 2010 - 2.4
CPI score 2011 - 2.4
CPI score 2012 - 2.7
Re: Nigeria Anti-corruption Index Improves - TI 2012 Report by manny4life(m): 1:56pm On Dec 05, 2012
Demdem: Based on TI index, Retardeen seems to be waking up oooo. This is good.
i want it to be sustained. Its still extremely very poor.
Hopefully when all those subsidy thieves that includes those in the govt and Madueke herself that oversees the rot are in jail, our score will go higher undecided
Good one for Ebele.

CPI score 2008 - 2.7
CPI score 2008 - 2.5
CPI score 2008 - 2.4
CPI score 2008 - 2.4
CPI score 2008 - 2.7

Haba, you still calling him retardeen after this small light? Like they said, slowly but surely, we're getting there. grin grin grin
Re: Nigeria Anti-corruption Index Improves - TI 2012 Report by markus1133: 1:57pm On Dec 05, 2012
great ...
Re: Nigeria Anti-corruption Index Improves - TI 2012 Report by Demdem(m): 1:59pm On Dec 05, 2012
These are probably part of the reasons why Nigeria didnt have a better score no doubt. We could have done better.

Nigeria remained rooted to the bottom of the global corruption ranking Wednesday as global corruption watchdog, Transparency International, rated it the 35th most corrupt country in the world.

In a report released at 6 a.m. Wednesday, Nigeria scored 27 out of a maximum 100 marks to clinch the 139th position out of the 176 countries surveyed for the report. It shared that position with Azerbaijan, Kenya, Nepal and Pakistan.

Countries such as Togo, Mali, Niger and Benin fared better than Nigeria.

Nigeria placed 143rd in the 2011 ranking, making it the 37th most corrupt country. It is difficult to say Nigeria has improved in the ranking this year because 182, six more than this year’s, were ranked in 2011. cry cry cry cry shocked shocked shocked shocked

This year’s index ranks 176 countries/territories by their perceived levels of public sector corruption, TI explained in the report.
The index draws on 13 surveys covering expert assessments and surveys of businesspeople.
The Corruption Perceptions Index is the leading indicator of public sector corruption, offering a yearly snapshot of the relative degree of the corruption problem by ranking countries from all over the globe.
Nigeria’s woeful performance in this year’s survey is not entirely surprising.

Since assuming office in 2010, President Jonathan has not shown vigour in the fight against corruption – including corruption involving past and current actors in his administration.
The tipping point in the president’s profile, regarding reluctance in promoting transparency, came when, in televised media chat in June, he scoffed at a question on why he had not publicly declared his asset. On live television, the president snapped “I don’t give a damn!”

The petroleum minister, Diezani Madueke, a close ally of the president, has heaps of established corruption allegations against her, but none has been investigated by Mr. Jonathan’s administration; while she still remains in office as one of the favorite ministers.
In August 2011, President Goodluck Jonathan secretly ordered the payment of $155 million to Malabu oil, a firm owned by an ex-convict and former petroleum minister, Dan Etete. Not only was the payment done without the knowledge of the Finance Minister, as revealed by PREMIUM TIMES, Malabu transferred the money into dubious accounts including that owned by a man with links to Mr. Jonathan. Both the Senate and the House of Representatives have agreed to investigate the Malabu scandal.

Ranging from the monumental fuel subsidy scam to the massive corruption uncovered in pension administration to the scams at the Security and Exchange Commission and the Bureau of Public Enterprises, Nigeria stinks with graft. Government officials, including some of Mr. Jonathan’s favourite appointees have been named in the brazen theft of public funds.

Two members of the President’s cabinet, Godsday Orubebe and Stella Oduah, illegally registered an NGO, Neighbour to Neighbour, on whose board they sit, and which they then used in campaigning for the President’s election; in contravention of CAC registration guidelines and the CAMA Act. The presidency has kept mum on this.

There have been several cases of visitors to the Presidential Villa offered huge sums of money after their visits. The Save Nigeria Group was offered $30 thousand, and the Northern elders N20 million; both groups rejected the cash gifts given to them by the presidency.
There are also piles of corruption cases involving government officials, politicians and ‘friends of the government’ that have been lingering for years while perpetrators roam free.

Yet, in his Independence Day anniversary speech to Nigerians, President Jonathan claimed his administration had made substantial gains in the fight against corruption, saying TI had endorsed and praised his administration’s war against corruption.
Transparency International promptly replied, disowning Mr. Jonathan and saying it had no such report.

TI described this year’s report as an indication that “corruption is a major threat facing humanity. Corruption destroys lives and communities, and undermines countries and institutions. It generates popular anger that threatens to further destabilise societies and exacerbate violent conflicts.”
The organization added, “Corruption translates into human suffering, with poor families being extorted for bribes to see doctors or to get access to clean drinking water. It leads to failure in the delivery of basic services like education or healthcare. It derails the building of essential infrastructure, as corrupt leaders skim funds.

“Governments need to integrate anti-corruption actions into all aspects of decision-making. They must prioritise better rules on lobbying and political financing, make public spending and contracting more transparent, and make public bodies more accountable.”

http://premiumtimesng.com/news/109853-nigeria-is-35th-most-corrupt-in-the-world-says-transparency-international-2012-report.html

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Power Generation Drops By 1,074MW To 3,443MW / Illegal Immigrants Take Over Nigeria / Chatham House Prize: Jega, John Kerry Others Nominated

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.