Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,729 members, 7,813,405 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 11:56 AM

Why Do Some People Disrespect Security Guards - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Do Some People Disrespect Security Guards (11729 Views)

Ben Murray-bruce Serves Epic Clap Back To Guy Who Tried To Disrespect Him / Jonathan’s Body Guards Posted Out Of Aso Rock Villa At Last / APC Resorts To Private Security Guards (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Some People Disrespect Security Guards by oraclefemi(m): 7:58pm On Dec 05, 2012
Black man is naturally pompous and rude

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Some People Disrespect Security Guards by tinventor(m): 8:00pm On Dec 05, 2012
respect is reciprocal

security men no respect me then i go wash am too

d painful tin be say na im go get d pain most because him oga go join wash am if i am well connected

but truthfully, in nigeria even boyscout will feel like a dame god once in uniform
Re: Why Do Some People Disrespect Security Guards by Wsdm: 8:01pm On Dec 05, 2012
Because they have lost their credibility which everyone of us know. But the army still stand out at least.
Re: Why Do Some People Disrespect Security Guards by elampiro(m): 8:02pm On Dec 05, 2012
This is too bad.

I remember I had to calm a police man one night, he was busy clearing traffic and when he had created a space to get vehicles to move, one arrogant young man entered it quickly and stayed there to queue for fuel. The police man told him no one should queue on the road, he wouldn't listen or move till the police man got very angry and was going to shoot his tyre. He kept claiming right, when I saw that the situation could degenerate quickly as the police man could not take it anymore, I had to quickly intervene. People should learn to respect security personnel. I am not one, but I do respect them.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Some People Disrespect Security Guards by victorD3: 8:06pm On Dec 05, 2012
There is this inner urge in every human to do what he or she wants at any time so automatically the mind sees any opposing factor to that as an looser.
Re: Why Do Some People Disrespect Security Guards by 3direct: 8:06pm On Dec 05, 2012
protect what smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley grin grin

Re: Why Do Some People Disrespect Security Guards by hagma37yahoocom: 8:19pm On Dec 05, 2012
@op e be like say you never enter police net before?
Re: Why Do Some People Disrespect Security Guards by ITbomb(m): 8:40pm On Dec 05, 2012
I believe the OP meant Security guards as in those in bank or fast food etc and not Policemen or soldiers , if that is the case then I would say Nigerians don't respect people , we fear people . That is why the police behave the way they do. Guards tend to be a bit too polite for our culture considering their uniform as an instrument of force.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Some People Disrespect Security Guards by Leadn(m): 8:50pm On Dec 05, 2012
ITbomb: I believe the OP meant Security guards as in those in bank or fast food etc and not Policemen or soldiers , if that is the case then I would say Nigerians don't respect people , we fear people . That is why the police behave the way they do. Guards tend to be a bit too polite for our culture considering their uniform as an instrument of force.

Finally some1 that understands english comes along... On point!
The guards are too damn polite,,, though I respect them,,,
Re: Why Do Some People Disrespect Security Guards by balo(m): 8:53pm On Dec 05, 2012
^^^ u are right.
OP was referring to those group of security men.
I have observed it too.
It's the kind of society we live in where money is the main thing.
Re: Why Do Some People Disrespect Security Guards by erico2k2(m): 8:58pm On Dec 05, 2012
THere is no dignity i n labour moreso it got to do with how you carry yourself,
Re: Why Do Some People Disrespect Security Guards by Humblesam(m): 8:58pm On Dec 05, 2012
jackbauersballs: In Nigeria, Money = Respect

No Money = No respect

I believe your question has been answered.

Oya everybody stop typing*,shut down and switch off your lappys and handsets*, question answered*,applaud 4 Mr Jack*, thread closed*, everyone say your prayers and go 2 bed*, until then, c u on the next thread, K****s.
Re: Why Do Some People Disrespect Security Guards by chiboy1928(m): 9:51pm On Dec 05, 2012
I wish I was not fr dis planet called nigerians,filled wit corruption and no respect,the passion for money in nigerians is so high I pray dat God should come and destroy dis God forsaken country,anyway am nt even in the country he should come and destroy it now uSeless nation and uSeless governmenT.
Re: Why Do Some People Disrespect Security Guards by gwas(m): 9:53pm On Dec 05, 2012
The security guards too don't respect theirselves. They demand money from every tom dikk and harry.
Re: Why Do Some People Disrespect Security Guards by Nobody: 9:57pm On Dec 05, 2012
Not only security guards, but all those that are deemed "lowly". Nigeria is a terribly class-conscious and 'levels' oriented society - too many poseurs, wannabes, haughty people, inconsiderate people, do-you-know-who-I-am people, etc. I see these things daily, and it breaks my heart. I see how people talk rudely to barmen, waiters in restaurants, security men, house-helps, etc. Most times it's for no reason at all other than deep-seated wickedness and insensitivity.

My orientation is that I am NOT better or more intelligent or wiser than any "lowly" person I come across. . I am just luckier - and who knows? That same security man could save or take my life in the near future. In any case, life is complex and unpredictable - that guy you looked down upon yesterday could be the one looking down on you tomorrow. I've seen so many real-life examples of that.

The bottomline is that it costs nothing to treat people with basic dignity and courtesy, regardless of their station in life. Security men, barmen, servants, etc. are no less human than anyone else. This orientation can save your life directly or indirectly. Talking from experience.

5 Likes

Re: Why Do Some People Disrespect Security Guards by deltaforce7(m): 9:57pm On Dec 05, 2012
There are many reasons why Nigerians do not respect security personnel. Some of these are as follows?

1.) Many security personnel have indulge in daylight robbery - extorting money from innocent citizens.

2.) It is common knowledge that a very good percentage of them are as corrupt as the country's politicians.

3.) They are highly unprofessional in their dealings with the general public.

4.) Many of them are unkept and not the best breed of the educated men and women.

5.) Many of them, having turned themselves to semi- gods, have naturally alienated themselves from the general public.

I have not implied that there is nothing good about our security personnel. They are the best they can be within the it is time dispel protesters.

God save Nigeria
Re: Why Do Some People Disrespect Security Guards by Nobody: 10:24pm On Dec 05, 2012
because they bring disrespect to themselves, behaving like uniformed-beggars all the time.
Re: Why Do Some People Disrespect Security Guards by talktimi(m): 10:26pm On Dec 05, 2012
I've had very bad experiences at the hands of security gaurds, not that I support insulting anybody but most of theses guards invite the insults upon themselves with their lousy characters at the gates not knowin dat d person they insult today might very well be their oga/madam tomoro. Pls no insult dem sha
Re: Why Do Some People Disrespect Security Guards by ayobase(m): 11:14pm On Dec 05, 2012

No Money = No respect

Thats not we are talking about here.

Do ur parents need to be wealthy before u respect them.

Does your leaders need to be rich before respecting them.

Does a soldier need to be wealthy before respecting her let alone of him!

You just don't disrespect people at the first instance, unless being rude.

The truth of the matter is that we UNCONSCIOULY disrespect these people maybe cos they are not armed as others.

And they tend to be cool, unlike others that wouldnt take anything slightly with you.

The alms they do receive from people have also incapacitated them!

We are so mindless of their existence!
Re: Why Do Some People Disrespect Security Guards by razznaija(f): 11:27pm On Dec 05, 2012

No Money = No respect

Re: Why Do Some People Disrespect Security Guards by Richy4(m): 11:41pm On Dec 05, 2012
If Nollywood improve on the way they treat their security men on the cast, I guess there will be improvement on the part of the society. people follow what they see and what they hear sometimes. do you see how they call them "MUSAAAAA" on nollywood. "If this and that happen,I will sack you etc".after seeing all that society interprets their own version of them as door mat when they see them in real life. ironically, security guards have huge say in Abroad.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Some People Disrespect Security Guards by Teejayphillip(m): 11:58pm On Dec 05, 2012
Respect is reciprocal... When u gif respect,pple will alwayz respect u tu alzo...

Dough Nigeria factor as 2 du wif frustration sumtimes.. And u cant predict everyone's mood on a daily basis..

Dia r sum pple,no mata ow much u get dem angry,dey stil kip smilin... While sum pple,jus mistakenly step on dia toes,d rest nah kasala....

Zo diff pple wif diff reasoning....
Re: Why Do Some People Disrespect Security Guards by rechelle(f): 12:00am On Dec 06, 2012
pro01: Not only security guards, but all those that are deemed "lowly". Nigeria is a terribly class-conscious and 'levels' oriented society - too many poseurs, wannabes, haughty people, inconsiderate people, do-you-know-who-I-am people, etc. I see these things daily, and it breaks my heart. I see how people talk rudely to barmen, waiters in restaurants, security men, house-helps, etc. Most times it's for no reason at all other than deep-seated wickedness and insensitivity.

My orientation is that I am NOT better or more intelligent or wiser than any "lowly" person I come across. . I am just luckier - and who knows? That same security man could save or take my life in the near future. In any case, life is complex and unpredictable - that guy you looked down upon yesterday could be the one looking down on you tomorrow. I've seen so many real-life examples of that.

The bottomline is that it costs nothing to treat people with basic dignity and courtesy, regardless of their station in life. Security men, barmen, servants, etc. are no less human than anyone else. This orientation can save your life directly or indirectly. Talking from experience.

Hmmm.. didn't know how bad this thing was until very recently.

You would think the younger populace knew better but they are all the same.

When a Nigerian meets you, first, they immediately profile you.

where do you live?
What does your father do for a living?
Have you been abroad before?
How many cars do you have?
Where does your brother work?

The answers to these questions would determine how they would relate with you.

The level of respect they will give you

........ and everything else.

Many of the ranters here are likewise party to this mess.

Our nation is battered beyond any possible redemption.

The churches have failed us the government conscientiously failing and our children ?

The outcome may not be far fetched.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Some People Disrespect Security Guards by topcube(m): 12:01am On Dec 06, 2012
cogitoErgo: it is what they sow that they are reaping, its unfortunate though! the security men are too arrogant, especialy d police dat are suppose to be friend of the people. we can actualy excuse d arrogancy of soldiers.
d way police carry demselves n d society s not a good story t write and an unborn child know dat what a Nigeria police wants frm you is 20/50 naira, dey ar a set of rude beggars!

BRO, THEY WEREN'T TALKING ABOUT POLICE OR SOLDIERS, Y NO GO THROUGH POST B4 COMMENTING BECAUSE THE POST ACTUALLY WAS ADDRESSING GUARDS LIKE THAT OF ONES YOU SEE AT MR. BIGGS, BRT LANES, BANKS AND SUPERMARKET (IF YOU HAVE BEING TO SHOPRITE OR IKEJA SHOPPING MALL BEFORE).

MUST U COMMENT IF U DON'T ACTUALLY UNDERSTAND A POST? IT'S UNFORTUNATE THAT YOUR ABOVE COMMENT IS MISLEADING. Behind UP DUDE!
Re: Why Do Some People Disrespect Security Guards by Nobody: 12:41am On Dec 06, 2012
I think the OP is a security guard. grin
Re: Why Do Some People Disrespect Security Guards by cvibe2: 3:36am On Dec 06, 2012
Never look down on anybody. Imagine those who would have looked down on GEJ - poor boy, no shoes
Re: Why Do Some People Disrespect Security Guards by Shenez: 4:29am On Dec 06, 2012
Op, is a security guard.
Re: Why Do Some People Disrespect Security Guards by gulfer: 6:23am On Dec 06, 2012
Shenez: Op, is a security guard.
So if I post a topic that advocates better treatment of ladies, does that make me a lady? @OP may just be genuinely concerned most probably haven witnessed the manner guards are treated here in Nigeria in contrast to the respect our 'wealthy' pay to same guards in say London and Germany. Tell you what, in those countries a security man is respected very much.
Re: Why Do Some People Disrespect Security Guards by Dopefiend(m): 7:25am On Dec 06, 2012
dick hardener :
Bros this your nigga yo nigga yo talk is hard to understand o.

Funny username. U harden other pple's diick
Re: Why Do Some People Disrespect Security Guards by deor03(m): 7:51am On Dec 06, 2012
They can't try that with private security men at the embassies.

That is the only place in Nigeria that Nigeriane show decorum and order
Re: Why Do Some People Disrespect Security Guards by free2ryhme: 7:59am On Dec 06, 2012
this is what happens when you like N20 more than you job

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Reps Deputy Speaker Makes 11 Appointments [full List] / What Bishop Ajayi Crowther Said About Igbos After Visiting Igboland In 1857 / Osinbajo Did Not Meet President Buhari On 2023 Presidency - Laolu Akande (Aide)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.