Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,452 members, 7,816,050 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 01:03 AM

Your Mother-in-law Or Your Mother: Who Stays After Your Wife Delivers? - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Your Mother-in-law Or Your Mother: Who Stays After Your Wife Delivers? (16330 Views)

He Is 36, Still Stays With His Parents And Wants To Marry Her. Help!!! / Driver's Wife Delivers Quadruplets In Lagos / Husband Flees After Wife Delivers Triplets (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Your Mother-in-law Or Your Mother: Who Stays After Your Wife Delivers? by highlandre(m): 3:25pm On Dec 06, 2012
I just want peace irrespective of whether one or both stay!
Re: Your Mother-in-law Or Your Mother: Who Stays After Your Wife Delivers? by Igwe9(m): 3:41pm On Dec 06, 2012
jidegirl12:

That's not true Jo , it even has a special name they call it undecided
lol, nothing to ague about, it's the wife's mother in igbo culture smiley
Re: Your Mother-in-law Or Your Mother: Who Stays After Your Wife Delivers? by Nuezha(m): 3:54pm On Dec 06, 2012
Wife's mother:
She (wife) can only be freer that way; all those pressing and touching and mopping and bathing and...
It's real mama's work except she 'don tra'.

1 Like

Re: Your Mother-in-law Or Your Mother: Who Stays After Your Wife Delivers? by vocalprince(m): 4:00pm On Dec 06, 2012
its cultural for d woman's mum to stay for 3 months. Or more if need be.
Re: Your Mother-in-law Or Your Mother: Who Stays After Your Wife Delivers? by Nobody: 4:12pm On Dec 06, 2012
It depends on Me, Myself and I. I m sure my mum wont have time to babysit, so my mother in law is ok with me for @ most 3months if she‘s got time too.
If not, i employ one old woman who specializes in such or don‘t they exist?
Re: Your Mother-in-law Or Your Mother: Who Stays After Your Wife Delivers? by Nobody: 4:15pm On Dec 06, 2012
I'm not Igbo and its just from my observation , the MIL came to stay over, of course I believe you,now I know..... wink
Re: Your Mother-in-law Or Your Mother: Who Stays After Your Wife Delivers? by Austinio: 4:21pm On Dec 06, 2012
Joanna Sedley: it has always been the wife's mother not the husband's mother in the igbo culture.
. Anybody can come but its d wife's mother that stays 4 long nd it also depend on d arrangement bw d husband nd wife
Re: Your Mother-in-law Or Your Mother: Who Stays After Your Wife Delivers? by deesnipes(f): 4:25pm On Dec 06, 2012
It shld be who d wife is more comfortable with and d one that has d time.
Personally I wud prefer my mum cos I can ask her to do anything for me and she will do it without even blinking but ur mother inlaw might read a different meaning to ur request. Also u can prevail on ur mum abt not doing some stuffs which u r not comfortable with but with ur Mil she will enforce it o .
Re: Your Mother-in-law Or Your Mother: Who Stays After Your Wife Delivers? by Realtym(f): 4:41pm On Dec 06, 2012
jidegirl12: Ideally it's the husband's mom but if the wife's mom wants to join the party too, why not? The more the merrier ...... grin grin
Ideally who made that rule and on what planet
My own mama dey life, na my husband mama go kon get full access to my most private possessions because I just born. If I hear!
Have you considered the cat and mouse nature of most Nigerian wives and Mothers-in-law relationships?
Re: Your Mother-in-law Or Your Mother: Who Stays After Your Wife Delivers? by lafuria1(m): 4:44pm On Dec 06, 2012
in hausa culture, it always the wife's mother-in-law. since the wife moves to the husband house, she is automatically under the care of the husband relative. if wife's mother should comes, it gives the impression that the husband family cant take care of the wife. the wife's mother can come but main responsublity is on the husband's mother or sisters.

its more of a cultural thing on who stays.
Re: Your Mother-in-law Or Your Mother: Who Stays After Your Wife Delivers? by hagma37yahoocom: 5:03pm On Dec 06, 2012
Who go dey press press her yansh for her inside bathroom,of cause it should be her Mum. Abeg save my sweetest Mama from all those yeesh aaash ooooOh screeming
Re: Your Mother-in-law Or Your Mother: Who Stays After Your Wife Delivers? by demmie1: 5:09pm On Dec 06, 2012
When my wife had our daughter in february, both inlaws came to stay with us, in about a month I noticed both my mom and my wife's mom behaving like two cats in the house, then I had to excuse my mother to leave so that my wife's mother can stay. Reasons being that if my mother stays, she may try to run how my wife lives in the house and i would not have my wife disrespect her, but my wife's mother can relate with my wife anyhow, its not much of a concern to me except that when I am at home my food should be ready and I should have my private moments with my wife. Shikena!

5 Likes

Re: Your Mother-in-law Or Your Mother: Who Stays After Your Wife Delivers? by tlops(m): 5:27pm On Dec 06, 2012
Ideally The Wife's mum should stay. Because she'll get the necessary support for the kid and be able to be herself. She can easily ask her mother to help her wash this or that but that may be difficult to ask your husbands mum... That is why I think the wife's mum should stay.
Re: Your Mother-in-law Or Your Mother: Who Stays After Your Wife Delivers? by gabmid(f): 5:40pm On Dec 06, 2012
Joanna Sedley: Some culture requires the wife's mother to come while some prefer the husband's mother. To each his own. I'd like my mother to come and assist me.

I agree with u but I think it depends on d couple, during my own time we agreed dat my mother in-law sld come for 3month and wen I had d 2nd my mother came just dat she stayed for 5month cos I enjoyed her better n I didn't even want her 2go.

Ideally couple sld make plans n work it out. If d wife feels more comfortable with her mom den let her come.
Re: Your Mother-in-law Or Your Mother: Who Stays After Your Wife Delivers? by Jyde89: 5:50pm On Dec 06, 2012
None, they'er both late.
Re: Your Mother-in-law Or Your Mother: Who Stays After Your Wife Delivers? by elvis07: 5:52pm On Dec 06, 2012
For those that says in IGBO land its usually d husbands mum that gets to stay,I ask do u realy know d igbo culture? Bcus wat I know in our IGBO land is that d wifes mum get to stay nd its called "OMUGWO"
Re: Your Mother-in-law Or Your Mother: Who Stays After Your Wife Delivers? by Ezeufi: 5:55pm On Dec 06, 2012
Well, the wife is mostly likely to wish that the husband's mother was dead anyway. The husband's mother comes to see her newly born grandchild; not the wife. She couldn't care less if the wife dies during childbirth as long as her grandchild surives. The wife's mother cares about both the wife and her newlyborn grandchild. Therefore, the wife's mother has to stay.

2 Likes

Re: Your Mother-in-law Or Your Mother: Who Stays After Your Wife Delivers? by Teejayphillip(m): 6:09pm On Dec 06, 2012
D 2 of dem can stay together,daz if dey behave maturely... And if nt d 2 can alwayz com 4 visitation.... Tis my house,and i'll neva tolerate any form of quarell btw dem both...

We can go visit them wen we lik,bur if dey r of gud conduct no WAHALA ...

My mother-in-law n my mother are BEST OF FRIEND ... So no shaking 4 my side
Re: Your Mother-in-law Or Your Mother: Who Stays After Your Wife Delivers? by Nobody: 6:16pm On Dec 06, 2012
Julesbloom: wow didnt read the replies of others @jidegirl

Nope I'm busy here grin
Re: Your Mother-in-law Or Your Mother: Who Stays After Your Wife Delivers? by Elebiju: 6:17pm On Dec 06, 2012
Joanna Sedley: Some culture requires the wife's mother to come while some prefer the husband's mother. To each his own. I'd like my mother to come and assist me.
em...if ngozi iweala is ur mother will she come and babysit?
Re: Your Mother-in-law Or Your Mother: Who Stays After Your Wife Delivers? by Nobody: 6:21pm On Dec 06, 2012
Ujujoan:

Lol . . see you talking with authority on what you don't know about!

It's the other way round o . . . Take it from an Igbo Lady who has actually experienced it! grin grin

Lol Uju honestly from what I've seen it was the groom's mom .... now I know undecided
Re: Your Mother-in-law Or Your Mother: Who Stays After Your Wife Delivers? by Elebiju: 6:24pm On Dec 06, 2012
Realtym:
Ideally who made that rule and on what planet
My own mama dey life, na my husband mama go kon get full access to my most private possessions because I just born. If I hear!
Have you considered the cat and mouse nature of most Nigerian wives and Mothers-in-law relationships?
hmmm I know ur type o possesive,obsessive and jealous,have u forgotten that the private possesion u cherished and ur husband belongs to ur mother in law,can u marry the guy if the mother had been possesive and jealous like u,I fear for ur husband o.
Re: Your Mother-in-law Or Your Mother: Who Stays After Your Wife Delivers? by Elseductive: 6:27pm On Dec 06, 2012
Husband's Mother
Re: Your Mother-in-law Or Your Mother: Who Stays After Your Wife Delivers? by crave4stan: 6:36pm On Dec 06, 2012
Both are welcome. But my mother-in-law's spell will be brief.
I don't fancy her hanging around for long, feeling too comfortable in my crib thereby increasing her chances of instigating her daughter against me in any possible manner.
Re: Your Mother-in-law Or Your Mother: Who Stays After Your Wife Delivers? by Mcfemad(m): 6:43pm On Dec 06, 2012
My mother of course!

But of course, she doesn't have to come and stay with us. My wife and the baby can relocate to her place.
Re: Your Mother-in-law Or Your Mother: Who Stays After Your Wife Delivers? by Keykelomo: 6:44pm On Dec 06, 2012
It is d wife mother coz it wl handle her daughta vry wel
Re: Your Mother-in-law Or Your Mother: Who Stays After Your Wife Delivers? by eldoradoxx: 6:58pm On Dec 06, 2012
Zeus I: Igbo tradition demands that the bride's mother(mother-in-law) should be attending, only in her absense(e.g demise or an elderly daughter's birth) would the groom's mother come.
You are on point! The concept of baby sitting/ omugwo in Ibo land is that the mum of a woman who newly delivered a baby shud come and take care of her daughter. It involves cooking local delicacies for her, bathing her grand child and attending to her daughter such as massaging her tummy to get it to pre pregnancy shape! How does the husband's mum cope with this demands, wouldn't she find these chores demeaning to render to a little girl ? Its few mother in laws that would put up with this and to avoid wahala, let the lady's mum come and take care of her daughter, that is the idea behind this tradition.
Re: Your Mother-in-law Or Your Mother: Who Stays After Your Wife Delivers? by DrMuzungu(m): 7:16pm On Dec 06, 2012
Wife delivered both kids abroad, in my home country. When the first child was born, her mother was there. My mom is nice and helpful, but the point is, no one knows the new mother, her needs and habits like her own mother. Sadly, second child was born around a year after my mother in-law's death. If she was still alive, she would be by my wife's side again.
Re: Your Mother-in-law Or Your Mother: Who Stays After Your Wife Delivers? by LordReed(m): 7:29pm On Dec 06, 2012
I have always known it traditionally to be the new mother's mum who stays to help. Logic even dictates that the new mother's mum will best be able to anticipate the needs of her daughter. As for time duration I think 2 months max is allowable, I mean she must have her own husband and home to look after to me.
Re: Your Mother-in-law Or Your Mother: Who Stays After Your Wife Delivers? by dayokanu(m): 7:43pm On Dec 06, 2012
I would prefer the wifes mother to come instead of my own mother

1 Like

Re: Your Mother-in-law Or Your Mother: Who Stays After Your Wife Delivers? by armyofone(m): 8:06pm On Dec 06, 2012
None, we will do it ourselves.

i wouldn't want to hassle anyone with that responsibility. We both did the 'deed' afterall.
Mama should be enjoying her life and rest.
Re: Your Mother-in-law Or Your Mother: Who Stays After Your Wife Delivers? by ifyalways(f): 8:07pm On Dec 06, 2012
The wife's mom is usually the first choice,no written law or culture to that effect.Just a norm.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

How Do I Cope With The Loss Of My Sister? / Woman Gives Birth To 8 Babies At Once (octupulets) / Can U Do This? With Pix

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.