Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,322 members, 7,815,624 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 03:29 PM

Detergent Or Liquid Soap For Car Wash? - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Detergent Or Liquid Soap For Car Wash? (25962 Views)

Free Vehicle Scan For Car/s & Suvs Owners In Lagos State / Why Do We Use Klin/omo Detergent To Wash Cars In Nigeria? / Tips for car owners and those who are looking for a car! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Detergent Or Liquid Soap For Car Wash? by sunnshyn(f): 3:56pm On Dec 06, 2012
The active ingredients Sodium Lauryl Ether Sulphate (SLES) and Coco diethanolamide (CDE) are surfactants found in both the dishwashing liquid soaps and car washes. Except that in car care products an ingredient known as E-wax is found which helps renew dull shine in cars. And by the way they are known as detergents. Maybe the poster meant powder soap? Well, I'm not sure one should use powder soaps for cars as these contain substances that would all together strip ur car waxes of its natural shine. Try not to run out of car care products for that lasting shine of ur waxes, but if u do find urself out of car wash, u may use dishwashing liquids, but at ur wax's risk...

By the way, the acid used in d production of detergents comes in neutralized. Instead of sulphonic acid 93%, sulphonic acid 30% is used. There's a specification for potential hydrogen (pH) which I think is between the range of pH 6-7

I hope I helped a bit....

3 Likes

Re: Detergent Or Liquid Soap For Car Wash? by lightheart(m): 4:00pm On Dec 06, 2012
dridowu: Use Dettol Cool bar soap, better dan liquid and detergent. It protect ur car frm microbes or better still use sand paper to scratch ur car, it makes ur car to shine very well
Siena:

Easy bro! Some people may take what you've posted literally. Sarcasm is lost on some. wink

So somebody would actually read the bolded and apply? Nnaaa ehnnnnn!!!!
Re: Detergent Or Liquid Soap For Car Wash? by sunnshyn(f): 4:19pm On Dec 06, 2012
Siena:

I'm afraid they do. We're not talking hydrocloric acid, but they DO contain acids.

You may be talking about Sulphonic Acid used in the production of liquid soaps. These acids come in Neutralized. Or during production, test for pH is constantly taken. Where's its too acidic, it diluted by either dilute Sodium hydroxide or its derivatives...

If not, we would need gloves to do basic house care chores...
Re: Detergent Or Liquid Soap For Car Wash? by SURYSuri(f): 4:45pm On Dec 06, 2012
Just my own thinking O, a detergent for washing clothes should be as good for washing a car.
Re: Detergent Or Liquid Soap For Car Wash? by babseg(m): 5:14pm On Dec 06, 2012
u guys can try black soap AKA 'Ose dudu' grin
Re: Detergent Or Liquid Soap For Car Wash? by Nobody: 5:17pm On Dec 06, 2012
SURY Suri: Just my own thinking O, a detergent for washing clothes should be as good for washing a car.

It's not. Paintwork is very different from fabric. If you feel using detergent powder / liquid is kind to paintwork, then you're definitely not getting it.
Re: Detergent Or Liquid Soap For Car Wash? by ngorluv: 6:16pm On Dec 06, 2012
Please you need in house knowledge.....each day I go to work,I pass thru several car dealers with several cars for sale and I noticed that the tyres of the cares they sell are as black as char coal...several times I have tried scrubbing the tyres of my own car to get that kind of new Black colour,but it doesn't get that dark,still have traces of mud...please I want to know if there's a technique they use in washing their tyres or there's a particular soap or detergent they use that makes it look as black as new....thanks awaiting your reply

2 Likes

Re: Detergent Or Liquid Soap For Car Wash? by Teejayphillip(m): 6:28pm On Dec 06, 2012
I tink its advisable 2 use jus water 2 wash d body of ur car,cos detergent affect the paint frm shinning... It makes d paint fade @ d long run.

Bur for the tyres,one can use any detergent wif and hard brush
Re: Detergent Or Liquid Soap For Car Wash? by ebukah: 6:33pm On Dec 06, 2012
Use dettol....washes out getms and blemishes!..#if u dnt take care of it hu will?
Re: Detergent Or Liquid Soap For Car Wash? by hardbody: 7:11pm On Dec 06, 2012
Siena:

Another result of not reading the Owner's Manual for your car.

Detergents and washing-up liquid are NOT meant for paintwork. It way too harsh, and strips of the top layer of lacquer. The paint will become dull, and flat, lacking shine. You're meant to either use car shampoo, car wash and wax, or just plain water. NEVER household detergents. which contain acids that will kill your paintwork.

Spot On Bro. THose times when i have the privilege of doing the cleaning myself, i use ONLY water. I shine the requisite parts with wax later.
Re: Detergent Or Liquid Soap For Car Wash? by vocalprince(m): 8:00pm On Dec 06, 2012
soap is good, detergent is better but i think.............acid is d best!!! grin
Re: Detergent Or Liquid Soap For Car Wash? by hollas2jnr(m): 8:11pm On Dec 06, 2012
I use 'ABRO Wash & Wash' and its been fine... Detergents and liquid soaps are no good options at all.
Re: Detergent Or Liquid Soap For Car Wash? by inze(m): 10:02pm On Dec 06, 2012
ngorluv: Please you need in house knowledge.....each day I go to work,I pass thru several car dealers with several cars for sale and I noticed that the tyres of the cares they sell are as black as char coal...several times I have tried scrubbing the tyres of my own car to get that kind of new Black colour,but it doesn't get that dark,still have traces of mud...please I want to know if there's a technique they use in washing their tyres or there's a particular soap or detergent they use that makes it look as black as new....thanks awaiting your reply

After washing the tyres of your car as you normally do, mix sugar and detergent (white type) in small quantity of water and apply with something like a paint brush (as if you're painting the tyre). No need for scrubbing, anytime it gets dirty again, just apply water to and wash, the detergent will make it foam and wash off easily.

1 Like

Re: Detergent Or Liquid Soap For Car Wash? by Nobody: 10:06pm On Dec 06, 2012
hugafella:

Point of correction my brother. A detergent CAN NEVER CONTAIN ACIDS!
They do sir.

1 Like

Re: Detergent Or Liquid Soap For Car Wash? by Nobody: 12:32am On Dec 07, 2012
#ghettoFAB
Re: Detergent Or Liquid Soap For Car Wash? by Pdizzle(m): 7:53am On Dec 07, 2012
use soda grin
Re: Detergent Or Liquid Soap For Car Wash? by dantitiki(m): 1:11pm On Dec 07, 2012
None.

If you ain't using a car shampoo (with wax preferred), use just water.

You also keep your car shining longer and swirls away using microfibre fabrics instead of cotton or foam just like the majority.

See www.facebook.com/dantitikiautos if you might be interested in microfibre rags and mitts.

Kind regards.
Re: Detergent Or Liquid Soap For Car Wash? by Nobody: 10:08pm On Feb 18, 2016
hollas2jnr:
I use 'ABRO Wash & Wash' and its been fine... Detergents and liquid soaps are no good options at all.
Greetings to you sir
please where do you purchase your Abro wash products?
Re: Detergent Or Liquid Soap For Car Wash? by hollas2jnr(m): 2:46am On Feb 19, 2016
IHate9ja1:
Greetings to you sir please where do you purchase your Abro wash products?
I got them all in Abeokuta, Ogun State
Re: Detergent Or Liquid Soap For Car Wash? by Nobody: 7:09am On Feb 19, 2016
hollas2jnr:

I got them all in Abeokuta, Ogun State
Good morning,thank you I reside in ph though am looking for where I could get them here.
Re: Detergent Or Liquid Soap For Car Wash? by hollas2jnr(m): 8:17am On Feb 19, 2016
IHate9ja1:

Good morning,thank you I reside in ph though am looking for where I could get them here.
Oh. Okay... You can check around, there should be a place in PH if i can get it in abeokuta. Good morning too!

1 Like

Re: Detergent Or Liquid Soap For Car Wash? by gabsea(m): 11:44am On May 27, 2016
ngorluv:
Please you need in house knowledge.....each day I go to work,I pass thru several car dealers with several cars for sale and I noticed that the tyres of the cares they sell are as black as char coal...several times I have tried scrubbing the tyres of my own car to get that kind of new Black colour,but it doesn't get that dark,still have traces of mud...please I want to know if there's a technique they use in washing their tyres or there's a particular soap or detergent they use that makes it look as black as new....thanks awaiting your reply
Re: Detergent Or Liquid Soap For Car Wash? by gabsea(m): 11:52am On May 27, 2016
my guy, if u want ur tire to be as black as d one u see in car stands its really simple n funny...if only u will try it.

the engine oil u get as waste after servicing ur car can be used. how? dip a foam in d engine oil n use d foam to scrub ur tire. thank me later
Re: Detergent Or Liquid Soap For Car Wash? by baaliyah(m): 2:09am On May 28, 2016
gabsea:
my guy, if u want ur tire to be as black as d one u see in car stands its really simple n funny...if only u will try it.

the engine oil u get as waste after servicing ur car can be used. how? dip a foam in d engine oil n use d foam to scrub ur tire. thank me later

bro, there is TYRE WASH just like dash board spray. Specifically for tyres.
Re: Detergent Or Liquid Soap For Car Wash? by Emekayoung(m): 8:14pm On May 28, 2016
ngorluv:
Just go and buy tyre cleaner,its about 1000 naira now. Then u will have the desired colour u hav been looking for. Ask car part sellers for tyre foam cleaner..
Re: Detergent Or Liquid Soap For Car Wash? by Nobody: 8:30pm On May 28, 2016
gabsea:

Right. So you coat your tyres with waste (black) engine oil. You drive the car, the oily tyres pick up dust and sand, which will be brown, red or grey. As you drive, the mess from your tyres is sprayed along the sides of your car.

Tyres and oil don't mix either.

Very clever. Where did you come up with such a bright idea?

3 Likes

Re: Detergent Or Liquid Soap For Car Wash? by EmmyDe25(m): 7:45am On Jan 08, 2017
pappilo:
Turtle Wax for the paintwork. Fairy liquid for the wheels. Omo and Surf is a no no
I wash my car tyres with Ariel. Any side effects?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Toyota Has Set The Record For The World's Fastest SUV With 230mph(Photos) / Toyota Lovers! : Feed Your Korokoro Eyes! / Rolls Royce Goes Into Flying Taxis, To Be Ready By 2019 For Testing

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.