Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,346 members, 7,811,998 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 05:46 AM

Lagos Unveils Alternative Road For Lekki-epe Toll Plaza - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos Unveils Alternative Road For Lekki-epe Toll Plaza (14279 Views)

Fashola Blames Jonathan For Lekki-ikoyi Robbery / AIG Mbu In Mild Drama At Lekki Toll Plaza / Apga Condemns Lekki-epe Toll. Wetin Consyn Agbero With Overload. Lmao (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos Unveils Alternative Road For Lekki-epe Toll Plaza by uzoexcel(m): 2:36pm On Dec 06, 2012
early morning weed aint gud man
Eko Atlantic#:
This is Lagos cool

Let me give you guys this simple illustration.
In Nigeria we have two federations, they are: Lagos and Naijiriya(wake up to suffer).

You should wonder why Ogun state motto is "The Gateway state". Gateway to where? Naijiriya. She's is the gateway to Naijiriya from Lagos in the country called Nigeria tongue
If you like nack your head for wall or jump inside Lagoon tongue

Eko oni baje, Never cool

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Unveils Alternative Road For Lekki-epe Toll Plaza by sheyma: 2:37pm On Dec 06, 2012
Nigerians aren't used to development, dats what d gov are using to cheat us,dey com with dis project and we jump up and shout YES d gov is working.
For christ sake why must dey toll d road, what is d essense of we paying tax, dey shld even go ahead and toll all the road in lagos.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Unveils Alternative Road For Lekki-epe Toll Plaza by faithin9ja: 2:44pm On Dec 06, 2012
olumidazz: Pls where is the alternate road I just drove past this place 2 minutes ago, there was no indication or sign of any alternate road.

You must be blind, you should not be driving, you are a danger to other road users. Big signboard clearly before you get to exit to Shoprite/ 4 Seasons Sheraton - 'Alternative Route. Been there for over 3 months.

Notice by big font for your poor eyes
Re: Lagos Unveils Alternative Road For Lekki-epe Toll Plaza by exbash: 2:47pm On Dec 06, 2012
megastu: This is real rubbish of the highest order. If you see the suffering Ajah residents are made to go through because of the useless construction work by this lekki people. It is terrible.

I cant believe this is happening. Someone should wake me up from this dream. Can a Govt be so inhumane to its citizenry just because of money to be made?

The traffic has worsened in Ajah area, more than what it used to be before this construction started.

I wish we can emulate Egypt.

Please wake up its morning!!!!
Re: Lagos Unveils Alternative Road For Lekki-epe Toll Plaza by megastu(m): 2:55pm On Dec 06, 2012
I really do not get this. What kind of alternative road. When you are made to pass already existing roads.
Re: Lagos Unveils Alternative Road For Lekki-epe Toll Plaza by phantom(m): 3:10pm On Dec 06, 2012
grin grin grin grin grin....."this is lagos".......any foreigner wey read this una hailings for here go feel say lag na paradise not knowing say the place na wan megash.it ole... grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Lagos Unveils Alternative Road For Lekki-epe Toll Plaza by sunboy(m): 3:50pm On Dec 06, 2012
ojdollars:

@mr-cali .... Read my post well.. I only said Fashola is heading in the right direction... How many people in Nigeria Pay their taxes? Do they dig Borehole in Lagos? No... The last time I was in my Uncle's House in Adeniji Adele Dolphin Estate area.. They use the water supplied by the City water board... So what are you talking about? Or are you among the group of people who just read on the internet and start concluding base on their theoretical awareness?

Bros u dey joke ooo! U mean Adeniji Adele Dolphin Estate abi? How many estate u reach for lagos na How many people can afford to live in such estate you mentioned??
I can boldly say 90% of houses in Lagos dig their borehole! Orelse, u settle for well.

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Unveils Alternative Road For Lekki-epe Toll Plaza by Kx: 3:51pm On Dec 06, 2012
-
Re: Lagos Unveils Alternative Road For Lekki-epe Toll Plaza by X2X(m): 3:53pm On Dec 06, 2012
mr-cali:
Its not that Nigerians do not like to make sacrifices but they just don't feel they are morally obliged to make it to the type of govt we have now. One we don't believe they should push any responsibility to us since We are convinced they are not judiciously using our money. Until we have fiscal responsibility on the part of government nobody will enjoy to pay for anything.

@mr-cali Spot on.

ojdollars:

@All Nairalanders who curse and insult Fashola... I want to believe that there is no Nigerian in Diaspora among those clicks... I live in Texas, City of Irving in Dallas County. I can boldly say that, the difference between Lagos and Texas... Is not so much.. Because, in Texas.. Most of the High Ways has Tolls. The difference is that, the officials in charge which is refer to as the City don't stop you to pay daily as you go through the Tolls. What they do, is refer to as advance Toll fee collection.

The difference between Lagos and Texas not so much? Are you for real?

Let us not delude ourselves by suggesting that Nigerians in the diaspora are in support of this project therefore it must be right. Nigerians in the diaspora who have experience of similar projects elsewhere are bound to welcome the same thing happening at home. This is normal and is based on their presumption that the Lagos project is planned, being executed and delivered openly, transparently and efficiently with the interest of the tax payer and the masses kept paramount at every stage - as is the case with the diaspora projects they have experience of. In the Lekki-Epe Toll Road project, what effort was made to protect/ensure the interest of the tax payer and the masses? All I see is the interest of a certain ex-Lagos Governor being protected at all cost. The reality is that it is the guys at home who use that road on a daily basis that are feeling the pain - naturally, they are the ones that would complain.

I am all for infrastructure and I am all for public/private partnership. In fact, I dont' mind a toll road at all but it will be hard for anybody to persuade me that the tolls are not too expensive. lawyer has an illustrative example on this thread. Do you know what the average wage is in the Federal and State Civil service? If the toll rates were sensible, most people will take them for granted and megastu will not even be raising concerns about alternative routes - nobody will even be talking about that. Also the toll collection approach is causing people grief. Is there not a better way? Why are they not vigourously promoting faster methods of toll collection. Clearly their attitude is as far as they get their money, they really can't be bothered - is that the way in the diaspora?

And someone else was talking about Lagos versus Delta, implying that the Lagos people should be grateful to God for what they have in Fashola. Well, we are, but we are challenging him to do more, to implement more people oriented projects that will affect quality of life of his people and we know he has the heart and the brains to do much more. The fact that a buffoon is the Governor in Delta state does not mean we should limit our expectations of Fashola. Or is that your argument?

Èkó ò ní bàjé oooooo!

4 Likes

Re: Lagos Unveils Alternative Road For Lekki-epe Toll Plaza by Kx: 3:55pm On Dec 06, 2012
ojdollars:
@mr-cali .... Read my post well.. I only said Fashola is heading in the right direction... How many people in Nigeria Pay their taxes? Do they dig Borehole in Lagos? No... The last time I was in my Uncle's House in Adeniji Adele Dolphin Estate area.. They use the water supplied by the City water board... So what are you talking about? Or are you among the group of people who just read on the internet and start concluding base on their theoretical awareness?

Is Dolphin- Ikoyi-(rich man area) now the basis of accessing the availability, nature and quality of public infrastructure and service delivery in AJ,Oshodi,Mushin,Badagry,Isale Eko,Ikorodu,Okoko, Amukoko and other poor man areas in Lagos now?

1 Like

Re: Lagos Unveils Alternative Road For Lekki-epe Toll Plaza by X2X(m): 4:28pm On Dec 06, 2012
ojdollars:

How many people in Nigeria Pay their taxes?

How many people pay their taxes you ask? I wonder why you are not more interested in how efficiently, prudently and transparently the taxes being collected are spent. There is a case for clamping down on tax avoidance and evasion, but there is a more pressing case for prudent and efficient appropriation of current tax reciepts.

ojdollars:

Do they dig Borehole in Lagos? No... The last time I was in my Uncle's House in Adeniji Adele Dolphin Estate area.. They use the water supplied by the City water board... So what are you talking about?[/b] Or are you among the group of people who just read on the internet and start concluding base on their theoretical awareness?

I am afraid you are so out of touch with the real Lagos I don't even know where to start from. I suggest when next you visit, that you you make an effort to feel the pulse of the city - talk to the taxi driver, chat with the woman roasting Boli at the street corner, get into the mind of the Okada guy, have a taste of BRT. Just feel the real Lagos. The people are suffering. They have been short changed for far too long. Those Nigerians like yourself who have had the priviledge of a good job, education and exposure in the Western world - you are the ones that must be leading the clamour for Government to do more not less.

Èkó ò ní bàjé oooooo!

1 Like

Re: Lagos Unveils Alternative Road For Lekki-epe Toll Plaza by skibochi(m): 4:35pm On Dec 06, 2012
i have lived in this VI/Lekki axis for the past 30 years, i witnessed soo many lekki sun splash to mention a few and i have to tell you guys there has been some serious development in the lekki - epe axis. I recall when we used to visit lekki beach, it was as if we were going to ibadan from VI o!!! talk less of Epe, infact the journey was soo tedious because the road was quite narrow and you had so many people also going. What the lagos state government has done as regards this road is a very welcomed development because i can bet lots of people in this forum have not lived in this part this long for them to have witnessed the transformation of lekki to what it is now. LEKKI-MAROKO was BUSH, THICK, BIG, BUSH FA!!! My take on this is that the tolls should be paid, coming from what i had seen some 30 years back to what i am seeing now!! Haba!! it only makes sense now!! Must we all leave in this lekki/ajah axis set?

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Unveils Alternative Road For Lekki-epe Toll Plaza by slimfit1(m): 4:53pm On Dec 06, 2012
Choose between delta state government or Lagos state governments style simple . We want everything for free
Re: Lagos Unveils Alternative Road For Lekki-epe Toll Plaza by Borlahr(m): 5:02pm On Dec 06, 2012
ojdollars:

Fashola... May your Generation rip 10X of the good work you are doing in Lagos... Let me use your phrase... Eko Oni Baje oooh.

@All Nairalanders who curse and insult Fashola... I want to believe that there is no Nigerian in Diaspora among those clicks... I live in Texas, City of Irving in Dallas County. I can boldly say that, the difference between Lagos and Texas... Is not so much.. Because, in Texas.. Most of the High Ways has Tolls. The difference is that, the officials in charge which is refer to as the City don't stop you to pay daily as you go through the Tolls. What they do, is refer to as advance Toll fee collection. The camera's on the Toll whatever takes snaps your number plate and the Bill will be sent to your house.. Whatever address that Car title is registered in. What Fashola is doing, makes me proud to say that I am a Nigerian once again. This man has Vision, he is a world leader. I am a Waffarian.. from the City Of Warri, Delta State. But each time I fly into Lagos, I feel more relaxed than else where. Americans were able to develop their country because everyone is paying their fair share... Some people who ply those Tolls on the Highway to work, pay as much as $75usd - $150usd Monthly for their Toll fee's = 12,000 Naira - 23,000 Naira. Just recently, I drove pass the Highway, forgot there was Toll there, cause me I nor still like the toll fees with brain... They sent me ticket of about 6 dollars or 4 dollars.. I ignored it and within two weeks or three weeks later. They fined me for not paying the less than 6 dollars toll fee.

Please Support Fashola, the man has good intention, but the process of change sometimes, has a lot of inconviences... Is not doing all this for himself, is doing it to better the life of Lagosians... Is not easy to be way more a million times outstanding from A Commander In Chief of the Federal Republic of Nigeria... Fashola is the best Gov... Travel outside Nigeria and see how things are done before you rain curse on a Gov like Fashola. I am not Yoruba... I am a Deltan and don't live in Lagos.. But the truth be say, good thing na good thing... wether you talk bad or good about am ooh, he nor go change the status of the good. One Love my fellow country men and women in the House.
I enjoy ur write-up. Well meaning and sensible talk, more of ur kind should be encouraged to pass sense in to d medular of Nigerians
Re: Lagos Unveils Alternative Road For Lekki-epe Toll Plaza by Borlahr(m): 5:09pm On Dec 06, 2012
[quote author=X-2-X]

@mr-cali Spot on.

Let us not delude ourselves by suggesting that Nigerians in the diaspora are in support of this project therefore it must be right. Nigerians in the diaspora who have experience of similar projects elsewhere are bound to welcome the same thing happening at home. This is normal and is based on their presumption that the Lagos project is planned, being executed and delivered openly, transparently and efficiently with the interest of the tax payer and the masses kept paramount at every stage - as is the case with the diaspora projects they have experience of. In the Lekki-Epe Toll Road project, what effort was made to protect/ensure the interest of the tax payer and the masses? All I see is the interest of a certain ex-Lagos Governor being protected at all cost. The reality is that it is the guys at home who use that road on a daily basis that are feeling the pain - naturally, they are the ones that would complain.

I am all for infrastructure and I am all for public/private partnership. In fact, I dont' mind a toll road at all but it will be hard for anybody to persuade me that the tolls are not too expensive. lawyer has an illustrative example on this thread. Do you know what the average wage is in the Federal and State Civil service? If the toll rates were sensible, most people will take them for granted and megastu will not even be raising concerns about alternative routes - nobody will even be talking about that. Also the toll collection approach is causing people grief. Is there not a better way? Why are they not vigourously promoting faster methods of toll collection. Clearly their attitude is as far as they get their money, they really can't be bothered - is that the way in the diaspora?

And someone else was talking about Lagos versus Delta, implying that the Lagos people should be grateful to God for what they have in Fashola. Well, we are, but we are challenging him to do more, to implement more people oriented projects that will affect quality of life of his people and we know he has the heart and the brains to do much more. The fact that a buffoon is the Governor in Delta state does not mean we should limit our expectations of Fashola. Or is that your argument?

Èkó ò ní bàjé oooooo!

Surely, he should be made to perform more and better than he is doing. However, an appreciation of his good work should come first not antagonist of his programmes or ideas. Eko oni baje ......, Obaa je tii .........
Re: Lagos Unveils Alternative Road For Lekki-epe Toll Plaza by 2AMLasgidi: 5:36pm On Dec 06, 2012
Kx: They unveiled the alternative road yet the pix on dispaly is the toll plaza.
Is it too hard to display the newly constructed alternative road for all to see and confirm?

I am sure the use of picture is the prerogative of the reporter/newspaper that reported the story. May be I should tell you a simple desk stop research shows that it is ThisDay Newspaper report that is uploaded. They place that at their door step. In the same report, the place is well described thus:
"...the new alternative route could be accessed from the expressway by turning into Chevron Drive from Chevron Roundabout, then turning right after the Chevron headquarters complex, taking the road running behind Chevron Complex, passing the Conservation Plaza, the Scintilla Events Centre, through Poroku village and eventually linking the expressway just before OluwaNisola House". What more do you need.

“The place was bushy when we started. Properties in the area will move up now that the road has been completed. We have the culvert in place and street light, this is not just an alternative route, but one that will scale up property values in the area.

“By the time we start toll collection, the alternative route will be ready for use. It is a new road. Several communities in the area will benefit from the new road as they never had a road before now,”

I look beyond just the road in the long run, the hardship people are currently going through is of great concern but in the long run the those of us living in that axis will be better for it.
Re: Lagos Unveils Alternative Road For Lekki-epe Toll Plaza by tlops(m): 5:49pm On Dec 06, 2012
I hope they plan to automate the tolling system, otherwise it will create a bottleneck for the traffic..
Re: Lagos Unveils Alternative Road For Lekki-epe Toll Plaza by dayokanu(m): 5:58pm On Dec 06, 2012
ojdollars: Fashola... May your Generation rip 10X of the good work you are doing in Lagos... Let me use your phrase... Eko Oni Baje oooh.

@All Nairalanders who curse and insult Fashola... I want to believe that there is no Nigerian in Diaspora among those clicks... I live in Texas, City of Irving in Dallas County. .

Which part of Irving do you live?
Re: Lagos Unveils Alternative Road For Lekki-epe Toll Plaza by Nobody: 6:04pm On Dec 06, 2012
The Road Construction is fantastic but erecting multiple Toll-Gates within miles actually impede the free flow of traffic which is what people complain about. It is better for one to pay the 600 on one toll plaza than pay in 2, cos the more the toll plaza the greater the delays and serial traffic chaos. Its time to start thinking of getting one of those little choppers. I really pity those people living at Ajah end of the Peninsula, the traffic on that axis is suicidal. If BRF is sincere, let him construct a by-pass via the Atlantic waterfront to run parallel from Bar beach to the hinterland. That will show sincerity.

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Unveils Alternative Road For Lekki-epe Toll Plaza by deshclones(m): 6:08pm On Dec 06, 2012
@ojdollars...akpa amu gi there...how dare you compare texas and lagos? Do you know lagosians provide virtually everything they need to make life easy for them,ranging from power,gd health care,education,housing,water,security etc..then the only infrastructure that govt has monopoly (which is road) is now tolled.after paying tax someone will insist I pay tolls too..of what use is my tax then?.have you been to ajah-epe axis?what has govt done for those people?no decent general hospital,no modern public school,nothing at all...yet eti osa accounts for like 60percent of property tax generated by the LSG...the annoying thing is that the said road is built below standard..who builds huge roundabouts these days?come to ajah roundabout nd see the incompetence of the LCC guys..has d road eased traffic..NO..yet you want people to pay tolls..we are just too docile in this country..nobody wants to challenge govt..no wonder the govt takes us all for a ride cos they know all we can do is talk but no action.rubbish

1 Like

Re: Lagos Unveils Alternative Road For Lekki-epe Toll Plaza by sayitout1: 6:23pm On Dec 06, 2012
As far as I know, this lekki-epe road is a SCAM by the Lagos state govt or ACN.

Initially, the road was to be 4 lanes. It was later reduced to 3 so the cost would be used for street light & beautification.

1 lane out of the 3 would be designed for BRT still leaving us with the initial 2 lanes we heard.

The summary of the whole road scam is that we'll be paying toll for atleast 30years for the construction of BRT lane.

...lagos is working

3 Likes

Re: Lagos Unveils Alternative Road For Lekki-epe Toll Plaza by GboyegaD(m): 6:31pm On Dec 06, 2012
ojdollars:

Fashola... May your Generation rip 10X of the good work you are doing in Lagos... Let me use your phrase... Eko Oni Baje oooh.

@All Nairalanders who curse and insult Fashola... I want to believe that there is no Nigerian in Diaspora among those clicks... I live in Texas, City of Irving in Dallas County. I can boldly say that, the difference between Lagos and Texas... Is not so much.. Because, in Texas.. Most of the High Ways has Tolls. The difference is that, the officials in charge which is refer to as the City don't stop you to pay daily as you go through the Tolls. What they do, is refer to as advance Toll fee collection. The camera's on the Toll whatever takes snaps your number plate and the Bill will be sent to your house.. Whatever address that Car title is registered in. What Fashola is doing, makes me proud to say that I am a Nigerian once again. This man has Vision, he is a world leader. I am a Waffarian.. from the City Of Warri, Delta State. But each time I fly into Lagos, I feel more relaxed than else where. Americans were able to develop their country because everyone is paying their fair share... Some people who ply those Tolls on the Highway to work, pay as much as $75usd - $150usd Monthly for their Toll fee's = 12,000 Naira - 23,000 Naira. Just recently, I drove pass the Highway, forgot there was Toll there, cause me I nor still like the toll fees with brain... They sent me ticket of about 6 dollars or 4 dollars.. I ignored it and within two weeks or three weeks later. They fined me for not paying the less than 6 dollars toll fee.

Please Support Fashola, the man has good intention, but the process of change sometimes, has a lot of inconviences... Is not doing all this for himself, is doing it to better the life of Lagosians... Is not easy to be way more a million times outstanding from A Commander In Chief of the Federal Republic of Nigeria... Fashola is the best Gov... Travel outside Nigeria and see how things are done before you rain curse on a Gov like Fashola. I am not Yoruba... I am a Deltan and don't live in Lagos.. But the truth be say, good thing na good thing... wether you talk bad or good about am ooh, he nor go change the status of the good. One Love my fellow country men and women in the House.

Huy how many of the highways in Irving are tolled? Except George Bush Turnpike, which other highway is tolled. I go on 35, 635, 114, 121 and 161 frequently and non is tolled. Besides, you could connect every other place via the highways and the difference is that using the turnpike in DFW reduces the time.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Unveils Alternative Road For Lekki-epe Toll Plaza by skyfall: 6:39pm On Dec 06, 2012
To you Fashola sycophants, abeg shut up jare. You cannot love him more than his wife. We all know he's a good administrator. The Lekki road project is seriously fvcked up. He knows this at the back of his mind, he just can't say NO to Tinubu who designed the road project around his personal gain.

The "alternative routes" are a huge joke. If you don't live on the Lekki-Ajah axis, forget it, you can't understand.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Unveils Alternative Road For Lekki-epe Toll Plaza by Nobody: 6:56pm On Dec 06, 2012
Why is it that Lagos news are always everywhere and in our face? Is it that BRF is the only performing governor in 9ja or what? I was in Lagos in June and to be sincere it wasn't much different from the last time i visited in 2009. I'm not tryna spoil your party here but i think there has to be some perspective here. People who has never been to Lagos will not get the true picture.
Re: Lagos Unveils Alternative Road For Lekki-epe Toll Plaza by badesco(m): 7:08pm On Dec 06, 2012
People should not be carried away with that gimmick, i am sure it is with some conditions.There is no free lunch anywhere in Lagos,especially when it concern the present regime, i mean Gov. Fashola.

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Unveils Alternative Road For Lekki-epe Toll Plaza by MurderX: 7:17pm On Dec 06, 2012
Anybody supporting ACN on the lekki toll issue is only being hypocritical and a sycophant. ACN will lose big time in Ajah and environs in the next election, the move is the dumbest move the party and fashola have ever made and will surely backfire. If you are in support then you are not a frequent user of this route. The alternative routes are a nightmare, the tolls are inconsiderably expensive, the number of gates are too many, the arrangement causes terrible traffic during rush hours and is a way to cut out and further impoverish the middle and lower class living after Chevron. Those peeps that fly in from Texas and live in lekki PH1 for 2 weeks should not make a conclusion based on that. There's no part of America where this kind of tolling will be accepted, tolling is usually on express and interstate connecting routes not on roads in such populated residential in-city areas. This obviously has a chain effect on transportation, food price and cost of living in general. strangely, highbrow areas Chevron - Lekki PH1 pay for only 1 gate while middle and lowbrow areas Chevron - Epe pay thrice. ACN aint got no love for the poor masses - sick sick sick.

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Unveils Alternative Road For Lekki-epe Toll Plaza by X2X(m): 9:06pm On Dec 06, 2012
Billyonaire: The Road Construction is fantastic but erecting multiple Toll-Gates within miles actually impede the free flow of traffic which is what people complain about. It is better for one to pay the 600 on one toll plaza than pay in 2, cos the more the toll plaza the greater the delays and serial traffic chaos.

Exactly. Moreover, think about the cost or erecting the additional, unnecessary toll plazas. Think about the disruption caused during construction with severe traffic hold up. Totally unneccessary and utterly counter-productive. Is there any sense in that?.

Borlahr:
Surely, he should be made to perform more and better than he is doing. However, an appreciation of his good work should come first not antagonist of his programmes or ideas. Eko oni baje ......, Obaa je tii .........

Lagos already showed appreciation to Fashola by returning him for a second term. I would be the first to sing his praise when he does right, yet I would also frown openly and make the point when I think he's made a mistake. If Lagosians fail to highlight mistakes the Government is making, it wouldn't be showing appreciation, it would be sycophancy.

We should not miscontrue disagreeing with a specific action or policy of government to equate to ingratitude. Fashola asked for the opportunity to serve Lagos and it is him who should be the most grateful - that Lagosians have chosen him, out of many, and given him the rare priviledge to lead them and to write his name in history. The fact is I voted Fashola and if given another chance, I will vote him again.

Borlahr: I enjoy ur write-up. Well meaning and sensible talk, more of ur kind should be encouraged to pass sense in to d medular of Nigerians

The dude says "the difference between Lagos and Texas is not so much" and you think he is talking sense? Worse still you think he is well placed to "pass sense in to d medular of Nigerians". May God help you.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Unveils Alternative Road For Lekki-epe Toll Plaza by mapet: 9:44pm On Dec 06, 2012
@ X-2-X,

After going through you posts, I must say that you are either deliberately or ignorantly misrepresenting issues here. I sense a tacit covering of the realities on ground

1. I live in Lagos.
2. My office is on VI extension.
3. I frequently pass the said road.
4. I have a property in Ikota Estate.
5. We have two staff buses that plies that route.
6. I have not less than 25-30 collegue living on that route, part of whom drive their cars to work every day.
7. I plied that road every weekend for 23months during my MBA in Lagos Business School (2008-2009). I lived in Ikorodu then, and I drive home through Epe every Saturday after lectures.....

I needed to build the above background to show you I am very familiar with the road. These are some of the realities
1. Please Let's be factual, and I make bold to say that It is a LIE that the traffic situation on Lekki expressway has not dramatically improved. Compared to what I went through in 2008 and What is obtainable now is more than the difference between light and darkness
2. Please explain to me how the interest of the supposed "tax-payers" and "masses" would have been protected any better? By not tolling at all? (Mind you even the Federal government have announced that the Lagos Ibadan express way will be tolled) or Was anybody's house pulled down? or how? I also wonder how tax-payers would be identified from non-tax-payers who ply the road
3. For me the reality is that according to best practice, the rule is to provide alternative roads. Are there alternative roads, the answer is yes. The arguements that the alternative roads were there before lacks merit. The reality is that there are alternative roads and people use them. Our 2 staff busess plying the route use the alternative roads. Most of my colleagues use the alternative roads.So I'd rather you put things in proper perspectives.
4. the Issue of the cost of tolling is relative and it depends on how we view it. These road was Private sector financed, these private sectors guys got the investments from somewhere. Thinking through the chain, the cost of funding, the period of repayment, the dynamics of volume of traffic etc, then you'll understand that the tolling was not just thrusted on people. We were witness to the period when LCC was taking stats.
5. wrt 4. above, it's also unfortunate that not everybody can be satisfied. I am not too sure how realistic it is for a civil servant on very low pay be living in Lekki and working in Ikeja, except that person has other means (Legit or otherwise). The average cost of renting a flat in Lekki Axis, Phase I, PhaseII, Agungi, Igbo Efon, Femi Okunu, Chevron Estate, Estate across Chevron, Ikota, Aja etc starts from about 600/700k and in excesses of about 2.5/3m. I will be suprised if a Civil Servant on 50k a month, will live on these axis and work so far away, drives his car through those toll gates. Even for the high income earner, it's by choice. That is why there are alternative routes and you could take a bus.
6. For me a critical question is Who is really complaining? The Lekki residents I can understand bearing the brunt of the initial discomfort this new change will bring. But for those of us who dont live in Lekki, hardly go there, have not been to these alternative routes and we write about some fictional hardship...please spare me. I make bold to tell you that even before the commencement of the project, some of these alternative routes have been built by government. You had more than 3 ways to access Shoprite, from Oniru. You cold access Oniru via Ligali Ayorinde. You could access the alternate road either from Oniru end or the waterworks at the end of Ligali.
7. Your take on the toll collection approach also betrays your ignorance. My brother it was all over the media for almost a year the different approaches to tolling. We were told of electronic tag, that you go to any of the designated back, pay for, load credit on it, and stick it on your windscreen. There is a designated queue for those with e-tag, and their lines goes faster.

So my take is still that for all intents and purposes this road is a far better alternative, than what was there before and the value it brings to our collective commonwealth. On my recent trip to Boston, I paid $5 for toll, the taxi driver simply told me my fare includes it. In South Africa, they have roads similar to this and actively collects tolls...so this is pretty standard.

If we keep harping on the masses and stuffs like that at the expense of living in a quality environment, they we end up worse off, at the risk of joining the masses and the poor
X-2-X:

@mr-cali Spot on.

Èkó ò ní bàjé oooooo!

1 Like

Re: Lagos Unveils Alternative Road For Lekki-epe Toll Plaza by mapet: 10:03pm On Dec 06, 2012
@Kx,

1. The newly constructed Ibeshe road in Ikorodu is probably one of the best road constructed in Nigeria
2. Agege motoroad passing from the Ojuelegbe thru mushing is a standard road by all means, not to talk of some of the inner roads constructed in mushin.
3. Isale Eko? Haba! the CBD roads is Isale Eko covers about 40 streets

Kx:

Is Dolphin- Ikoyi-(rich man area) now the basis of accessing the availability, nature and quality of public infrastructure and service delivery in AJ,Oshodi,Mushin,Badagry,Isale Eko,Ikorodu,Okoko, Amukoko and other poor man areas in Lagos now?
Re: Lagos Unveils Alternative Road For Lekki-epe Toll Plaza by mapet: 10:05pm On Dec 06, 2012
@Sayit_oit1,

Stop lying. There is no BRT lane on the Lekki Expressway. There was never a time we were told the road would be four lanes and later reduced to 3 to cover cost of street light and beautification. These are outright LIES.
sayit_out1: As far as I know, this lekki-epe road is a SCAM by the Lagos state govt or ACN.

Initially, the road was to be 4 lanes. It was later reduced to 3 so the cost would be used for street light & beautification.

1 lane out of the 3 would be designed for BRT still leaving us with the initial 2 lanes we heard.

The summary of the whole road scam is that we'll be paying toll for atleast 30years for the construction of BRT lane.

...lagos is working

1 Like

Re: Lagos Unveils Alternative Road For Lekki-epe Toll Plaza by Nobody: 10:08pm On Dec 06, 2012
GboyegaD:

Huy how many of the highways in Irving are tolled? Except George Bush Turnpike, which other highway is tolled. I go on 35, 635, 114, 121 and 161 frequently and non is tolled. Besides, you could connect every other place via the highways and the difference is that using the turnpike in DFW reduces the time.

121 is completely tolled from Grapevine to McKinney.
Re: Lagos Unveils Alternative Road For Lekki-epe Toll Plaza by olumidazz: 10:15pm On Dec 06, 2012
@skibochi - biyo shot up your mouth there. U think say I no go no say na you.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Ekweremadu Describes EFCC's Denial As Worrisome / Victims Of Suicide Bomb Attack At Borno Mosque Receiving Treatment (Photos) / Nigerian Military To Ekweremadu: We Have No Interest In Coup

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 121
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.