Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,346 members, 7,811,996 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 05:35 AM

Lagos Unveils Alternative Road For Lekki-epe Toll Plaza - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos Unveils Alternative Road For Lekki-epe Toll Plaza (14278 Views)

Fashola Blames Jonathan For Lekki-ikoyi Robbery / AIG Mbu In Mild Drama At Lekki Toll Plaza / Apga Condemns Lekki-epe Toll. Wetin Consyn Agbero With Overload. Lmao (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos Unveils Alternative Road For Lekki-epe Toll Plaza by olumidazz: 10:26pm On Dec 06, 2012
@faithinnija You must be blind, you should not be driving,
you are a danger to other road users. Big
signboard clearly before you get to exit to
Shoprite/ 4 Seasons Sheraton - 'Alternative
Route. Been there for over 3 months.
Notice by big font for your poor eyes.
U see why a whole lot of you fail jamb and came make a headway in life, the topic is the alternate road at the chevron toll gate not the lekki toll gate. And you are there saying your great grand father is blind. I live in this area and know what am talking about. Oloshious being.

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Unveils Alternative Road For Lekki-epe Toll Plaza by Obinnanze(m): 11:16pm On Dec 06, 2012
Nigerian. We want top class facilities but we r not ready to make the sacrifices. Cities lk London and NY (which we call developed ) all practice the same BOT and toll system. That is how they developed so fast. We shld appreciate the vision of the Lagos state Gov. Pls.

Now that the alternative route is ready. no one has reason to complain.
Re: Lagos Unveils Alternative Road For Lekki-epe Toll Plaza by Obinnanze(m): 11:26pm On Dec 06, 2012
Nigerian. We want top class facilities but we r not ready to make the sacrifices. Cities lk London and NY (which we call developed ) all practice the same BOT and toll system. That is how they developed so fast. We shld appreciate the vision of the Lagos state Gov. Pls.

Murder_X: Anybody supporting ACN on the lekki toll issue is only being hypocritical and a sycophant. ACN will lose big time in Ajah and environs in the next election, the move is the dumbest move the party and fashola have ever made and will surely backfire. If you are in support then you are not a frequent user of this route. The alternative routes are a nightmare, the tolls are inconsiderably expensive, the number of gates are too many, the arrangement causes terrible traffic during rush hours and is a way to cut out and further impoverish the middle and lower class living after Chevron. Those peeps that fly in from Texas and live in lekki PH1 for 2 weeks should not make a conclusion based on that. There's no part of America where this kind of tolling will be accepted, tolling is usually on express and interstate connecting routes not on roads in such populated residential in-city areas. This obviously has a chain effect on transportation, food price and cost of living in general. strangely, highbrow areas Chevron - Lekki PH1 pay for only 1 gate while middle and lowbrow areas Chevron - Epe pay thrice. ACN aint got no love for the poor masses - sick sick sick.

Hey leave politics out of this pls. The road is about providing excellent services to all Lagosians. would you rather wait 20 yrs for the Lagos Gov to source the funds required for this kind of project? Remember the suffering we used to go tru years bk on that road.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Unveils Alternative Road For Lekki-epe Toll Plaza by jaymichael(m): 11:36pm On Dec 06, 2012
ojdollars:

Fashola... May your Generation rip 10X of the good work you are doing in Lagos... Let me use your phrase... Eko Oni Baje oooh.

@All Nairalanders who curse and insult Fashola... I want to believe that there is no Nigerian in Diaspora among those clicks... I live in Texas, City of Irving in Dallas County. I can boldly say that, the difference between Lagos and Texas... Is not so much.. Because, in Texas.. Most of the High Ways has Tolls. The difference is that, the officials in charge which is refer to as the City don't stop you to pay daily as you go through the Tolls. What they do, is refer to as advance Toll fee collection. The camera's on the Toll whatever takes snaps your number plate and the Bill will be sent to your house.. Whatever address that Car title is registered in. What Fashola is doing, makes me proud to say that I am a Nigerian once again. This man has Vision, he is a world leader. I am a Waffarian.. from the City Of Warri, Delta State. But each time I fly into Lagos, I feel more relaxed than else where. Americans were able to develop their country because everyone is paying their fair share... Some people who ply those Tolls on the Highway to work, pay as much as $75usd - $150usd Monthly for their Toll fee's = 12,000 Naira - 23,000 Naira. Just recently, I drove pass the Highway, forgot there was Toll there, cause me I nor still like the toll fees with brain... They sent me ticket of about 6 dollars or 4 dollars.. I ignored it and within two weeks or three weeks later. They fined me for not paying the less than 6 dollars toll fee.

Please Support Fashola, the man has good intention, but the process of change sometimes, has a lot of inconviences... Is not doing all this for himself, is doing it to better the life of Lagosians... Is not easy to be way more a million times outstanding from A Commander In Chief of the Federal Republic of Nigeria... Fashola is the best Gov... Travel outside Nigeria and see how things are done before you rain curse on a Gov like Fashola. I am not Yoruba... I am a Deltan and don't live in Lagos.. But the truth be say, good thing na good thing... wether you talk bad or good about am ooh, he nor go change the status of the good. One Love my fellow country men and women in the House.
how much them pay you?
Re: Lagos Unveils Alternative Road For Lekki-epe Toll Plaza by X2X(m): 11:41pm On Dec 06, 2012
I am happy to engage with you one the subject as a co-Lagos resident.

mapet: @ X-2-X,

1. Please Let's be factual, and I make bold to say that It is a LIE that the traffic situation on Lekki expressway has not dramatically improved. Compared to what I went through in 2008 and What is obtainable now is more than the difference between light and darkness

2. Please explain to me how the interest of the supposed "tax-payers" and "masses" would have been protected any better? By not tolling at all? (Mind you even the Federal government have announced that the Lagos Ibadan express way will be tolled) or Was anybody's house pulled down? or how? I also wonder how tax-payers would be identified from non-tax-payers who ply the road.

3. For me the reality is that according to best practice, the rule is to provide alternative roads. Are there alternative roads, the answer is yes. The arguements that the alternative roads were there before lacks merit. The reality is that there are alternative roads and people use them. Our 2 staff busess plying the route use the alternative roads. Most of my colleagues use the alternative roads.So I'd rather you put things in proper perspectives.

4. the Issue of the cost of tolling is relative and it depends on how we view it. These road was Private sector financed, these private sectors guys got the investments from somewhere. Thinking through the chain, the cost of funding, the period of repayment, the dynamics of volume of traffic etc, then you'll understand that the tolling was not just thrusted on people. We were witness to the period when LCC was taking stats.

The main gripe I hammered on is the toll rate which I have repeated is too expensive especially in view of the scope of the expansion to be done. Please point out where I said traffic was worse.

Anybody who is objective will admit that traffic situation has improved at least up to VGC coming from V.I end. But does Lagos state have any statistics on current and project traffic along that road for the next 20+ years? How then did they arrive at the toll rate? As you say, LCC was taking stats - doesn't that ring alarm bells. Does it not worry you that the governemt left it to LCC to get the stats and fix the rate? Are you seriously telling me that you think it is fair for LCC to be the prosecutor and Judge in the same case - can't you see there is conflict of interest there. Where else in the world would this sort of thing happen?

Shouldn't the proper thing have been for the government to do the research first and tender openly with the tender stating the expected/allowed toll rates range over time so that there can be competitive bidding on that basis that guarantees value for the masses? Imagine LCC going of to raise capital at 20% interest rate privately when another company could have raised the same capital at 8% interest rate - LCC not minding in the current arrangement because they know they can pass all the burden to the masses. The argument that it is privately funded so therefore it must be exhorbitant does not hold water. As an MBA you should know that private funding, if competitive and transparent, with proper due dilihgence upfront can even be cheaper than government funding. I concede that LCC must make a profit, but it musn't be a rip off. Check how long it takes one car to get through the toll barrier and you can quickly work out a rough estimate of how many vehicles ply that road say during the day time. Do the arithmetic. Assume no increase in traffic over the next 20 years and tell me what the rate of return on the project is to LCC and let me know wether you think it is fair on the masses who fork out the tolls daily - even with extortionate private funding.

The point you are making about the road being privately funded is surprising to me. The thing is not whether it is privately funded or not and private funding does not necessarily have to be exhorbitant. I am okay for even a government funded road to be tolled - again as long as the toll rates are fair. This is the my main gripe - the toll rates. For many years Federal roads in Nigeria were tolled but the tolls were minimal and I dont remember anyone complaining.

I have said on this thread that I dont mind a toll road. As long as it is fair to the masses - on the short term and long term. Forget alternative road, make the toll rate fair and people will be less bothered with alternatives. As an MBA you should know that by bringing down the toll rates the LCC may even raise more money - win win situation huh?

Also do you understand that this is a conssession that extends well into the future with no provision for further expansion. What happens in 5, 6, 7 years time when the traffic volume will no doubt increase? Does the concession compel LCC to add more lanes to the road? Does it allow them to keep on tolling regardless whether they further expand the road or not? Can you see why I think it is a bad deal for the people?

And when you say the toll rate is relative I hope you are not saying that because you and I can afford it we should turn a blind eye to the fact that so many others cant.

I am also sick of people always highlighting worse performing executive, e.g. Federal government and Delta state government. as an excuse to settle for less. What is wrong with Lagos doing better? What is wrong with Lagos being fairer? What is wrong with Lagosians expecting more?

6. For me a critical question is Who is really complaining? The Lekki residents I can understand bearing the brunt of the initial discomfort this new change will bring. But for those of us who dont live in Lekki, hardly go there, have not been to these alternative routes and we write about some fictional hardship...please spare me. I make bold to tell you that even before the commencement of the project, some of these alternative routes have been built by government. You had more than 3 ways to access Shoprite, from Oniru. You cold access Oniru via Ligali Ayorinde. You could access the alternate road either from Oniru end or the waterworks at the end of Ligali.

7. Your take on the toll collection approach also betrays your ignorance. My brother it was all over the media for almost a year the different approaches to tolling. We were told of electronic tag, that you go to any of the designated back, pay for, load credit on it, and stick it on your windscreen. There is a designated queue for those with e-tag, and their lines goes faster.

I am rolling on the floor with laughter. Me ignorant of tags? Abeg read my post again. My question was why are they not "vigourously promoting" things like that, meaning I know it exists but I want the LCC/government to do more to encourage people to take it up so that the toll gates throughput is enhanced. I was asking one danfo driver the other day why he didnt get an e-tag. He said he could not sacrifice his work time to go to a bank to get pay for one. I did not think that was a good reason though but how about LCC taking a promo to the Ajah bus loading point at CMS and giving danfo drivers big discounts on the tags - the danfos queing up at the plaza will be much reduced. Things like that is what I am talking about when I say "vigorously promoting". I am not ignorant of the tags, I want to see thing like that being promoted more.

6. For me a critical question is Who is really complaining? The Lekki residents I can understand bearing the brunt of the initial discomfort this new change will bring. But for those of us who dont live in Lekki, hardly go there, have not been to these alternative routes and we write about some fictional hardship...please spare me. I make bold to tell you that even before the commencement of the project, some of these alternative routes have been built by government. You had more than 3 ways to access Shoprite, from Oniru. You cold access Oniru via Ligali Ayorinde. You could access the alternate road either from Oniru end or the waterworks at the end of Ligali.

7. Your take on the toll collection approach also betrays your ignorance. My brother it was all over the media for almost a year the different approaches to tolling. We were told of electronic tag, that you go to any of the designated back, pay for, load credit on it, and stick it on your windscreen. There is a designated queue for those with e-tag, and their lines goes faster.

So my take is still that for all intents and purposes this road is a far better alternative, than what was there before and the value it brings to our collective commonwealth. On my recent trip to Boston, I paid $5 for toll, the taxi driver simply told me my fare includes it. In South Africa, they have roads similar to this and actively collects tolls...so this is pretty standard.

If we keep harping on the masses and stuffs like that at the expense of living in a quality environment, they we end up worse off, at the risk of joining the masses and the poor

Lekki today, who knows where it will be tomorrow. Don't complain when one government slams toll plazas on Bank Anthony road, on the expanded Lagos - Ikorodu road, on third mainland bridge, etc. Afterall it is pretty standard - according to you.

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Unveils Alternative Road For Lekki-epe Toll Plaza by GboyegaD(m): 11:56pm On Dec 06, 2012
Somorin#1:

121 is completely tolled from Grapevine to McKinney.

That is very possible however, I am sure there would be some other routes and the road would always be good as usual. At least one can't compare the continuous expansion in DFW area to that of Lagos.
Re: Lagos Unveils Alternative Road For Lekki-epe Toll Plaza by oadah(m): 1:19am On Dec 07, 2012
It's so funny people in USA just come and make cheap noise.
If you live in 9ja you won't say this, the rich people live majorly from chevron to lekki
While the low income earners live majorly in Ajah, sango tedo, badore and environs, these are the people we are talking about that have to pay for 3 tolls to go to school or work

The last time we demonstrated, Fashola and Tinubu sent thugs under the watchful eyes of the police to beats people up for daring to even gather.
These same thugs are the poor people paid just paltry amount that I am sure by now don't even know what they did with the money they were paid to disperse people, but interestingly them and their children with repay Tinubu for 30 years.

I really don't fucking care what they do if the even want 1k I will pay if I have and if I don't I will join the long queue at the alternative route, these men are ready to kill anyone that want to jeopardize the empire they are making off the people on the road,

I am just a visitor and will definitely leave Lagos once my office transfer me out.

I have lived in all parts of Nigeria, Lagos is a jugle "city" where man eat man.....

I laugh when I see funny comments depicting Fashola as the best governor, LASG generate an average of 16 billion naira monthly, Yet they have the highest loan in Nigeria but you can't compare the works done in Lagos with Akwa Ibom,

I challenge his paid boys on NL if you thing he is that influential advise him to come out for 2015 and you will know that Lagos is just 1/30 of Nigeria, you will also know that Even Adams Oshiomole of Edo state has national coverage more than him. The highest Fash can go beyond 2015 is a senator and he knows that.....ACN can continue to milk tlagos till 2015, I hope they won't organize a other owanbe party wi Fuji stars and the people will run to the polls and vote them in

Eko onibaje o

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Unveils Alternative Road For Lekki-epe Toll Plaza by lagbaja(m): 2:58am On Dec 07, 2012
While I agree that Lagos state is making great strides in infrastructure development, I strongly believe that Lagosians are paying too much for the services. Let me analyze the LCCI lekki-epe rd. deal.

At the toll plaza, the average throughput for each toll point is 4 cars per minute which translates to 240 vehicles per hour. Each vehicle pays N100 on the average. There are about 16 toll point (going and coming) which are always in use from morning till night. Let us assume that the the tolls opens from 6am till 10pm at night I.e. a total of 14 hours of full operation.
Total annual collection = number of toll points * number of cars per hour * average toll fee per car* number of service hours in a day * number of days in the year= N1.96 billion (about $6.5m)

This toll fee is for a journey of about 15km. I.e from Ozumba rd. to the Lekki Admiralty toll gate. According to the world bank, average cost for a standard guage road upgrade is put t $250k per km ( http://www.worldbank.org/transport/roads/c&m_docs/kmcosts.pdf). 2 sides of the road were upgraded. Let us leave the upgrade quality story for another day. About 30km of road was upgraded. It's cost LCCI about $7.5m to fix that length of roads.

Assume the cost of funds is 10% per annum ( they have access to international development funds), and overhead cost is another 10%, total cost of the project is $9m. It means LCCI will break even in about 2 years, yet the road was concessioned for 30 years. By implication, they will be making back their money 15 times over.

That is too much a price to pay in a developing nation.

4 Likes

Re: Lagos Unveils Alternative Road For Lekki-epe Toll Plaza by seanet01: 3:04am On Dec 07, 2012
oadah: It's so funny people in USA just come and make cheap noise.
If you live in 9ja you won't say this, the rich people live majorly from chevron to lekki
While the low income earners live majorly in Ajah, sango tedo, badore and environs, these are the people we are talking about that have to pay for 3 tolls to go to school or work

The last time we demonstrated, Fashola and Tinubu sent thugs under the watchful eyes of the police to beats people up for daring to even gather.
These same thugs are the poor people paid just paltry amount that I am sure by now don't even know what they did with the money they were paid to disperse people, but interestingly them and their children with repay Tinubu for 30 years.

I really don't fucking care what they do if the even want 1k I will pay if I have and if I don't I will join the long queue at the alternative route, these men are ready to kill anyone that want to jeopardize the empire they are making off the people on the road,

I am just a visitor and will definitely leave Lagos once my office transfer me out.

I have lived in all parts of Nigeria, Lagos is a jugle "city" where man eat man.....

I laugh when I see funny comments depicting Fashola as the best governor, LASG generate an average of 16 billion naira monthly, Yet they have the highest loan in Nigeria but you can't compare the works done in Lagos with Akwa Ibom,

I challenge his paid boys on NL if you thing he is that influential advise him to come out for 2015 and you will know that Lagos is just 1/30 of Nigeria, you will also know that Even Adams Oshiomole of Edo state has national coverage more than him. The highest Fash can go beyond 2015 is a senator and he knows that.....ACN can continue to milk tlagos till 2015, I hope they won't organize a other owanbe party wi Fuji stars and the people will run to the polls and vote them in

Eko onibaje o

You are a pathetic Ediot. So in your brain, Apkabio performed better than Fashola? Wonders shall never end. Did you ever try to compare them vis- vis revenue, population and social needs? Did you know that Lagos have over 20 times the number of Road network in Akwaibom to maintain?
Did you know that Lagos have a population that is times 6 of what is available in Akwaibom?
Did you know that Lagos has times five of the Educational facilities in alwaibom to maintain? Did you know that Lagos has a workers payrole that is three times larger than your akwaibom?
Did you know that Lagos has more Health Care facilities to maintain?
Did you know that despite all this, Akwaibom gets more money than Lagos despite having lesser responsibiliter to Lagos?
Did you know that despite all this odds, Fashola has constructed more roads than Ghana, not to talk of akwaibom?
Did you know Lagos has constructed more heath facilities than akwaibom?
Did you know that Lagos is spending much more on security than any state in Nigeria?
I can go on and on. Use your brain

4 Likes

Re: Lagos Unveils Alternative Road For Lekki-epe Toll Plaza by CohenJane: 3:10am On Dec 07, 2012
megastu: This is real rubbish of the highest order. If you see the suffering Ajah residents are made to go through because of the useless construction work by this lekki people. It is terrible.

I cant believe this is happening. Someone should wake me up from this dream. Can a Govt be so inhumane to its citizenry just because of money to be made?

The traffic has worsened in Ajah area, more than what it used to be before this construction started.

I wish we can emulate Egypt.

You are a bloody lier. Ode'n sin
Re: Lagos Unveils Alternative Road For Lekki-epe Toll Plaza by Godogwu: 3:12am On Dec 07, 2012
mr-cali:

Stop comparing US to Nigeria. In US do u dig your borehole? Run your generator? Send your kids to expensive private school because public schools have become horrible. Do you change your sock absorbers every 2 months. Pls tell me the social amenities we enjoy like they enjoy in US. None. No social security nothing you are comparing Naija to US. When our govt becomes responsible then your start your comparison

Please shut it..... If you dont like whats going on in Lagos or Nigeria then get lost. Theres cameroon, togo, benin even ghana, now heres a bench for you to ponder on where to go \______

1 Like

Re: Lagos Unveils Alternative Road For Lekki-epe Toll Plaza by sparkle10(m): 3:31am On Dec 07, 2012
Folks, do not be deceived. The post was nothing but a paid advert and BRF propaganda at its best. The so called alternative is a disaster and only a devil would call it an alternative road by the present concept of traffic diversion. It was an afterthought. Wait till tolling starts to understand my concern. The traffic gridlock will be unprecedented. Fashola is deceptive, inhumane and utterly wicked.
Re: Lagos Unveils Alternative Road For Lekki-epe Toll Plaza by koruji(m): 3:35am On Dec 07, 2012
There is no place in the world where construction doesn't lead to inconveniences.
It is this type of selfishness that is holding most everyone, including yourself, back in Nigeria.

You wish you can emulate Egypt where Angels lay kilometers and kilometers of road in the middle of one night?

Only when we honestly praise hard work, while making sure to knock lazy and corrupt incompetence that Nigeria will make progress.

Wake up!!!

megastu: This is real rubbish of the highest order. If you see the suffering Ajah residents are made to go through because of the useless construction work by this lekki people. It is terrible.

I cant believe this is happening. Someone should wake me up from this dream. Can a Govt be so inhumane to its citizenry just because of money to be made?

The traffic has worsened in Ajah area, more than what it used to be before this construction started.

I wish we can emulate Egypt.
Re: Lagos Unveils Alternative Road For Lekki-epe Toll Plaza by sparkle10(m): 3:41am On Dec 07, 2012
lagbaja: While I agree that Lagos state is making great strides in infrastructure development, I strongly believe that Lagosians are paying too much for the services. Let me analyze the LCCI lekki-epe rd. deal.

At the toll plaza, the average throughput for each toll point is 4 cars per minute which translates to 240 vehicles per hour. Each vehicle pays N100 on the average. There are about 16 toll point (going and coming) which are always in use from morning till night. Let us assume that the the tolls opens from 6am till 10pm at night I.e. a total of 14 hours of full operation.
Total annual collection = number of toll points * number of cars per hour * average toll fee per car* number of service hours in a day * number of days in the year= N1.96 billion (about $6.5m)

This toll fee is for a journey of about 15km. I.e from Ozumba rd. to the Lekki Admiralty toll gate. According to the world bank, average cost for a standard guage road upgrade is put t $250k per km ( http://www.worldbank.org/transport/roads/c&m_docs/kmcosts.pdf). 2 sides of the road were upgraded. Let us leave the upgrade quality story for another day. About 30km of road was upgraded. It's cost LCCI about $7.5m to fix that length of roads.

Assume the cost of funds is 10% per annum ( they have access to international development funds), and overhead cost is another 10%, total cost of the project is $9m. It means LCCI will break even in about 2 years, yet the road was concessioned for 30 years. By implication, they will be making back their money 15 times over.

What you get when you have criminals in power! That's besides the great discomfort experienced on the road on daily basis despite Paying the tolls. Where are the street lights packaged as part of benefits of the road users? Are the poles erected for decoration or propaganda? Height of govt insensitivity and irresponsibility.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Unveils Alternative Road For Lekki-epe Toll Plaza by koruji(m): 4:10am On Dec 07, 2012
Your calculation provides some insight but is incomplete.
You assume the same number of cars per minute every hour, day and year.
That is very unlikely, and by the time you account for the deficiencies you might end up with half your number.
Also, you are not counting running costs - personnel and maintenance over the 30 years, and you use a generic average cost of construction - what about the cost of constructing the alternate route (that is not free lunch you know).

Finally, LCCI is most likely not keeping all its collections - at the minimum it has to share profits with the Lagos state government - taxes and royalties.

Still, there is no doubt that Nigeria gets a raw deal because of our almost complete lack of self-capability to execute these projects.
It doesn't have to be because of "criminals-in-power" as someone suggested above, although there is an abundance of that in Nigeria as well.

I hope we can get to a place where all elements of deals like this are public - so there is no doubt.

lagbaja: While I agree that Lagos state is making great strides in infrastructure development, I strongly believe that Lagosians are paying too much for the services. Let me analyze the LCCI lekki-epe rd. deal.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Unveils Alternative Road For Lekki-epe Toll Plaza by madejibo: 4:36am On Dec 07, 2012
A very rough estimate of how much tinubu and co are making on the lekki tollgates please i invite critcs to my little calculation!: 2 toll gates ; 2(tollgates) X 2 (directions) X 8 (booths)X10 (cars every minute, very low estimate!)X 60 (minutes) X 18 (hours, even though they collect tolls 24 hours but lets for arguments sake say 18 hours)X 120 (naira)=N41,472 ,000 DAILY
Only a wicked Governor and a satanically criminally corrupt govt will add one lane to an existing road and put 2 tollgates within 10 mins of themselsves and charge an average of N120 per car EVERYTIME you pass any of the tollgates, and only an even MORE wicked governor will use tear gas and armed policemen to disperse the people when the come out to voice their disapproval
Re: Lagos Unveils Alternative Road For Lekki-epe Toll Plaza by Nobody: 4:37am On Dec 07, 2012
ojdollars:

Fashola... May your Generation rip 10X of the good work you are doing in Lagos... Let me use your phrase... Eko Oni Baje oooh.

@All Nairalanders who curse and insult Fashola... I want to believe that there is no Nigerian in Diaspora among those clicks... I live in Texas, City of Irving in Dallas County. I can boldly say that, the difference between Lagos and Texas... Is not so much.. Because, in Texas.. Most of the High Ways has Tolls. The difference is that, the officials in charge which is refer to as the City don't stop you to pay daily as you go through the Tolls. What they do, is refer to as advance Toll fee collection. The camera's on the Toll whatever takes snaps your number plate and the Bill will be sent to your house.. Whatever address that Car title is registered in. What Fashola is doing, makes me proud to say that I am a Nigerian once again. This man has Vision, he is a world leader. I am a Waffarian.. from the City Of Warri, Delta State. But each time I fly into Lagos, I feel more relaxed than else where. Americans were able to develop their country because everyone is paying their fair share... Some people who ply those Tolls on the Highway to work, pay as much as $75usd - $150usd Monthly for their Toll fee's = 12,000 Naira - 23,000 Naira. Just recently, I drove pass the Highway, forgot there was Toll there, cause me I nor still like the toll fees with brain... They sent me ticket of about 6 dollars or 4 dollars.. I ignored it and within two weeks or three weeks later. They fined me for not paying the less than 6 dollars toll fee.

Please Support Fashola, the man has good intention, but the process of change sometimes, has a lot of inconviences... Is not doing all this for himself, is doing it to better the life of Lagosians... Is not easy to be way more a million times outstanding from A Commander In Chief of the Federal Republic of Nigeria... Fashola is the best Gov... Travel outside Nigeria and see how things are done before you rain curse on a Gov like Fashola. I am not Yoruba... I am a Deltan and don't live in Lagos.. But the truth be say, good thing na good thing... wether you talk bad or good about am ooh, he nor go change the status of the good. One Love my fellow country men and women in the House.

God Bless you.
Re: Lagos Unveils Alternative Road For Lekki-epe Toll Plaza by madejibo: 4:46am On Dec 07, 2012
ypzilanti: FG should build world class freeways across the nation and toll whatever they friggin want. Just to coordinate Lagos-Ibadan expressway concession, na wahala. Such incompetent buffoons.

Anyway, I was against tolling without alternative routes. If they have indeed built the alternative, then kudos. Means they are aware that the people are not happy with them...better late than never.
bros or sis the truth is that lekki Epe expressway has always been there you don't add just an extra lane to a road that was built by tax payers money in the 80s an start collecting money from people. What a reasonable govt should do is to build a separate road if possible and toll that not an existing road.
Re: Lagos Unveils Alternative Road For Lekki-epe Toll Plaza by koruji(m): 5:09am On Dec 07, 2012
People need to stop saying because it was built with taxpayer money it should be free.

Most government services are either free or come at a reduced price, but expressways like this are usually tolled to both continue building other roads as well as raise general revenue. You could argue with the amount, but the government has done good here by providing alternative routes.

Think of it like this - if a much smaller toll had been collected by the government when the original road was built the upgrade might have been to 3 or 4 lanes instead of 2 today.

Nigerians have to learn to pay appropriate costs for what they use - the alternative is for the government to arbitrarily raise taxes or out-right borrow to cover the costs of these infrastructural projects. Everyone would have to pay one way or the other or the project just never gets done.

In this case, the tolling ensures that those paying for the road are the ones that need it most, especially with the free alternative roads.

madejibo: bros or sis the truth is that lekki Epe expressway has always been there you don't add just an extra lane to a road that was built by tax payers money in the 80s an start collecting money from people. What a reasonable govt should do is to build a separate road if possible and toll that not an existing road.
Re: Lagos Unveils Alternative Road For Lekki-epe Toll Plaza by EkoIle1: 5:16am On Dec 07, 2012
The concessioned road belongs to the people of Lagos state, it's called indirect taxation. If they ask you to pay taxes to build that road, you wont pay, so you are paying for it right now, but the road is all yours free after the concession.
Re: Lagos Unveils Alternative Road For Lekki-epe Toll Plaza by mapet: 8:02am On Dec 07, 2012
Thankss Mr. Koruji, I was about positing the same thing. I wonder how feasible is using world back bench mark in a country where the level of uncertainities and risks are very high. I am not too certain that you just work into international banks and source funds quite easily and they simply tell you is 10% over the top..... We should be aware that a consortium put this together, there are counterpart funding, venture capiltalists etc the dynamics are not that simple, or else it would have been put together long ago.

I'm also curious on your conclusion of average of 4 cars per minute stretch over the 30years, knowing fully well that there were periods of glut, when they throw all the gates wide open and all vehicles pass free of charge and there are periods where the traffic is so scanty. I'll be very careful with numbers except it's authenticated

My take on the issue of pricing is that even left to forces of demand and supply and other factors it will follow the bell curve.... Shebi telecoms started with 50naira per minute, when they needed our monies to rapidly establish their infrastructures. The tolling fees will go up and come down with time. It is only that the government will not sit by the sides and watch LCC milk us.

koruji: Your calculation provides some insight but is incomplete.
You assume the same number of cars per minute every hour, day and year.
That is very unlikely, and by the time you account for the deficiencies you might end up with half your number.
Also, you are not counting running costs - personnel and maintenance over the 30 years, and you use a generic average cost of construction - what about the cost of constructing the alternate route (that is not free lunch you know).

Finally, LCCI is most likely not keeping all its collections - at the minimum it has to share profits with the Lagos state government - taxes and royalties.

Still, there is no doubt that Nigeria gets a raw deal because of our almost complete lack of self-capability to execute these projects.
It doesn't have to be because of "criminals-in-power" as someone suggested above, although there is an abundance of that in Nigeria as well.

I hope we can get to a place where all elements of deals like this are public - so there is no doubt.

Re: Lagos Unveils Alternative Road For Lekki-epe Toll Plaza by StreetMode: 9:36am On Dec 07, 2012
Eko Atlantic#:
06 Dec 2012
Gboyega Akinsanmi

The Lagos State Government has unveiled a two-way road newly constructed to serve as an alternative route to Eti-Osa-Lekki-Epe-Eti-Osa Expressway, which is being developed by Lekki Concession Company (LCC).

The state government also said the road was designed as an alternative for those who might not want to use the plaza.

This came Wednesday as the LCC, concessionaire of the Eti-Osa-Lekki-Epe-Eti-Osa expressway, announced that it had set December 16 to start toll collection on the second toll plaza (otherwise known as Conversation Plaza) constructed along the Lekki-Epe corridor, which covers a distance of 49.36 kilometres.

But Special Adviser on Public Private Partnership (PPP), Mr. Ayo Gbeleyi, while inspecting the alternative road alongside other state government officials, explained that the road was not just an alternative route for motorists who are not willing to pay toll at Conservation Plaza, a second toll plaza built about 10 kilometres away from Admiralty Plaza.

Gbeleye, while inspecting the route which starts from Chevron Drive and ends at Oluwanisola Estate, alongside the Managing Director of Metropolitan Construction Company, Mr. Carlos Franji and an Executive, Mr. Tony Fagbuaro among others, assured the people along the Lekki-Epe corridor that the state government would not force toll payment on them, a reason he linked to the administration of Governor Babatunde Fashola’s commitment to completing the alternative road before toll collection commences.

He added that the alternative route was newly designed to accommodate such infrastructure as street lights, comprehensive drainage system, dual side walk as well as detailed road signs, which the special adviser, said were put in place to ensure safety and security of lives and properties along the route.

Aside from facilities designed with the road, the special adviser noted that the state government would deploy both security and traffic operatives “to constantly patrol the road in order to ensure that motorist do not encounter any difficulty while driving because the road is sited in an area with good vegetation area.”

“As the uptake in population growth, the road will get busy. The opening is a temporary opening. But by next Sunday, every construction work on the road would have been completed. At that time, the road will no longer be lonely as motorist would ply the road constantly. Before now, there was no access to the community.

“But the managing director added that was constructed not only to provide alternative route for motorist, but also “to provide accessible road for residents of the community within the axis where the toll plaza were constructed. We have designed the road to be the alternative road for the second toll plaza,” he said.

He gave details of the alternative road, which he said, was constructed the road “to have a 90 degree angle. This angle would aid easy maneuvring of vehicles on the road including turning. We have constructed drainage and walkways, streetlights to aid visibility at night and suit the required standard of the state government.”

According to him, the road was design to serve the residents for at least 30 years. It is a very good road constructed with the intention of giving residents of the state easy movement in and around the axis. The route was constructed for motorist who may not want to pass through the toll plaza. It will serve as a bypass.

http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/lagos-unveils-alternative-road-for-lekki-epe-toll-plaza/132696/
Re: Lagos Unveils Alternative Road For Lekki-epe Toll Plaza by StreetMode: 9:42am On Dec 07, 2012
@faithinnija 'Alternative
Route' is clearly there for everyone to use just incase you dont know
Re: Lagos Unveils Alternative Road For Lekki-epe Toll Plaza by cloftec: 9:59am On Dec 07, 2012
olumidazz: Pls where is the alternate road I just drove past this place 2 minutes ago, there was no indication or sign of any alternate road.
You can access the road from the expressway by turning into Chevron Drive from Chevron Roundabout, then turning right after the Chevron HQ Complex, following the road running behind the Chevron HQ Complex, past the Conservation Plaza, the Scintilla Events Centre, and through Poroku Village, and eventually emerging back onto the expressway just before Oluwa Nisola House.
Re: Lagos Unveils Alternative Road For Lekki-epe Toll Plaza by jaybee(f): 10:18am On Dec 07, 2012
Eko Atlantic#:
06 Dec 2012
Gboyega Akinsanmi

The Lagos State Government has unveiled a two-way road newly constructed to serve as an alternative route to Eti-Osa-Lekki-Epe-Eti-Osa Expressway, which is being developed by Lekki Concession Company (LCC).

The state government also said the road was designed as an alternative for those who might not want to use the plaza.

This came Wednesday as the LCC, concessionaire of the Eti-Osa-Lekki-Epe-Eti-Osa expressway, announced that it had set December 16 to start toll collection on the second toll plaza (otherwise known as Conversation Plaza) constructed along the Lekki-Epe corridor, which covers a distance of 49.36 kilometres.

But Special Adviser on Public Private Partnership (PPP), Mr. Ayo Gbeleyi, while inspecting the alternative road alongside other state government officials, explained that the road was not just an alternative route for motorists who are not willing to pay toll at Conservation Plaza, a second toll plaza built about 10 kilometres away from Admiralty Plaza.

Gbeleye, while inspecting the route which starts from Chevron Drive and ends at Oluwanisola Estate, alongside the Managing Director of Metropolitan Construction Company, Mr. Carlos Franji and an Executive, Mr. Tony Fagbuaro among others, assured the people along the Lekki-Epe corridor that the state government would not force toll payment on them, a reason he linked to the administration of Governor Babatunde Fashola’s commitment to completing the alternative road before toll collection commences.

He added that the alternative route was newly designed to accommodate such infrastructure as street lights, comprehensive drainage system, dual side walk as well as detailed road signs, which the special adviser, said were put in place to ensure safety and security of lives and properties along the route.

Aside from facilities designed with the road, the special adviser noted that the state government would deploy both security and traffic operatives “to constantly patrol the road in order to ensure that motorist do not encounter any difficulty while driving because the road is sited in an area with good vegetation area.”

“As the uptake in population growth, the road will get busy. The opening is a temporary opening. But by next Sunday, every construction work on the road would have been completed. At that time, the road will no longer be lonely as motorist would ply the road constantly. Before now, there was no access to the community.

“But the managing director added that was constructed not only to provide alternative route for motorist, but also “to provide accessible road for residents of the community within the axis where the toll plaza were constructed. We have designed the road to be the alternative road for the second toll plaza,” he said.

He gave details of the alternative road, which he said, was constructed the road “to have a 90 degree angle. This angle would aid easy maneuvring of vehicles on the road including turning. We have constructed drainage and walkways, streetlights to aid visibility at night and suit the required standard of the state government.”

According to him, the road was design to serve the residents for at least 30 years. It is a very good road constructed with the intention of giving residents of the state easy movement in and around the axis. The route was constructed for motorist who may not want to pass through the toll plaza. It will serve as a bypass.

http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/lagos-unveils-alternative-road-for-lekki-epe-toll-plaza/132696/

Eko Ile: The concessioned road belongs to the people of Lagos state, it's called indirect taxation. If they ask you to pay taxes to build that road, you wont pay, so you are paying for it right now, but the road is all yours free after the concession.

Obinnanze: Nigerian. We want top class facilities but we r not ready to make the sacrifices. Cities lk London and NY (which we call developed ) all practice the same BOT and toll system. That is how they developed so fast. We shld appreciate the vision of the Lagos state Gov. Pls.

skyfall: To you Fashola sycophants, abeg shut up jare. You cannot love him more than his wife. We all know he's a good administrator. The Lekki road project is seriously fvcked up. He knows this at the back of his mind, he just can't say NO to Tinubu who designed the road project around his personal gain.

The "alternative routes" are a huge joke. If you don't live on the Lekki-Ajah axis, forget it, you can't understand.

I've always maintained: THIS LEKKI ROAD PROJECT LCC PUTS LOGIC ON ITS HEAD!

You build roads then collect tolls on them, to recoup your investment and profit. that is the practice; it is fair and may be acceptable. You don't start by building toll gates, then collect tolls, use the money to build roads and claim credit for the investment, and continue collecting money into private pockets endlessly, in the name of private Public Partnership. that is not the model and spirit PPP. The government is taking people for a ride.

The whole arrangement lacks transparency and smacks of massive fraud.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Unveils Alternative Road For Lekki-epe Toll Plaza by 5much(m): 10:25am On Dec 07, 2012
if d tolls wl b properly managed as has bn d case,then no wahala
Re: Lagos Unveils Alternative Road For Lekki-epe Toll Plaza by flexyonline: 10:34am On Dec 07, 2012
I have refrained from contributing to this discussion because it is a fruitless and meaningless exercise. A lot of the people making noise on this thread do not even understand what the issues are with the way this toll road project has been done and the seeming effect on the same traffic it is supposed to ameliorate. Others are simply bad belle people who believe that everybody living in that axis is a "big man" and should be made to feel the same pains they feel elsewhere in Lagos.

For the records, I've lived on this axis for eight years now. I know when the road started and what the effect was. The traffic a lot of people complained was present before the road construction was actually caused by LCC. Before the road contruction started AT ALL, there was some trafic but definitely not at the levels seen when LCC started work on Ozumba Mbadiwe. It is this thoughless traffic a lot of people remember and believe that LCC has resolved not knowing that it was caused by LCC themselves. Same way that they'll say LCC solved Ajah traffic whenever they complete that section maybe in2014 going by the rate of construction not remembering that even as at 2009 when LCC were yet to bet to Ajah, there was not traffic in Ajah.

The second issue I want to point out is that someone in government seems not to be thinking properly concerning this issue of alternative roads. Actually, I think the alternative roads are afterthoughts, just looking for the convenient ways of saying "we provided an alternative" without giving consideration to whether it will work. I make bold to say, that road will be a nighmare both for those who chose to use it and also for those who actually pay the tolls on the main road and I will explain why. The current design says that if you are coming from Lekki to Ajah, you turn at the Chevron roundabout into Chevron drive and then rigmarole through certain places before coming out on the main road before Oluwanisola. You are then supposed to meander through the traffic going to the toll gate to the extreme left, follow the U-road before continuing on your journey tp Ajah. This is a recipe for disaster. Firstly, even now there is usaually traffic on Chevron drive because of the speed bumps and pedestian zebra crossings. When you now divert the traffic on that road, there will be mad traffic at the roundabout affecting those coming from Lekki wishing to go and pay the toll, those who paid the toll at Chevron going to Lekki, those who live in estates down Chevron drive whose properties are going to lose value and also those who want to use the alternative road. Also upon exting at Oluwanisola, the traffic will also be there because of people coming from the alternative road wishing to make the u-turn and from the toll gate itself. I make bold to say that this isn't a good arrangement for an alternative road.

More fundamentally, a lot of people especially people living abroad say people don't pay taxes and expect infrastructure. This is a most specious argument given where we are talking about. A lot of people here are your middle class who are in formal employment and do not have a choice with PAYE tax. On an average, I make to bold to say that the tax compliance % is highest in Lekki Ajah, than in any other part of Lagos. The other unfortunate thing is that even with this, the people provide things like water, inner roads, security etc for themselves because they are more organized into estates and neighbourhoods than any other part of Lagos. The argument of earning more and thus paying more does not hold water here because there should be a basic expectation from govt. You cannot tell me that you will not do anything for me simply because I earn more than the state average when I also pay more than the state average.

4 Likes

Re: Lagos Unveils Alternative Road For Lekki-epe Toll Plaza by cloftec: 10:55am On Dec 07, 2012
sparkle10: Folks, do not be deceived. The post was nothing but a paid advert and BRF propaganda at its best. The so called alternative is a disaster and only a devil would call it an alternative road by the present concept of traffic diversion. It was an afterthought. Wait till tolling starts to understand my concern. The traffic gridlock will be unprecedented. Fashola is deceptive, inhumane and utterly wicked.
Talk is cheap! Can you compare Lagos to any other state in Nigeria?
Re: Lagos Unveils Alternative Road For Lekki-epe Toll Plaza by madejibo: 11:20am On Dec 07, 2012
madejibo: bros or sis the truth is that lekki Epe expressway has always been there you don't add just an extra lane to a road that was built by tax payers money in the 80s an start collecting money from people. What a reasonable govt should do is to build a separate road if possible and toll that not an existing road.
mr man let Fashola or Tinubu go and build another road and toll not a road that has been there for over 25 years go and check the distance between the first and second toll gate just a distance of 10km. Really bad
Re: Lagos Unveils Alternative Road For Lekki-epe Toll Plaza by goldbearer: 4:09pm On Dec 07, 2012
do you have 3 tolls within a 49.4km road? in any country, Texas man please reply.is there any road in Irwin that costs as much as 1billion naira equvailent per kilometre.Lekki ajah road is 49.4km cost 50billion Naira plus other benefits for the investors.
Re: Lagos Unveils Alternative Road For Lekki-epe Toll Plaza by madejibo: 5:20pm On Dec 07, 2012
goldbearer: do you have 3 tolls within a 49.4km road? in any country, Texas man please reply.is there any road in Irwin that costs as much as 1billion naira equvailent per kilometre.Lekki ajah road is 49.4km cost 50billion Naira plus other benefits for the investors.
the distance between the first and the second toll gate is roughly a distance of 10km
Re: Lagos Unveils Alternative Road For Lekki-epe Toll Plaza by dayokanu(m): 6:32pm On Dec 07, 2012
madejibo: A very rough estimate of how much tinubu and co are making on the lekki tollgates please i invite critcs to my little calculation!: 2 toll gates ; 2(tollgates) X 2 (directions) X 8 (booths)X[size=18pt]10 (cars every minute[/size], very low estimate!)X 60 (minutes) X 18 (hours, even though they collect tolls 24 hours but lets for arguments sake say 18 hours)X 120 (naira)=N41,472 ,000 DAILY
Only a wicked Governor and a satanically criminally corrupt govt will add one lane to an existing road and put 2 tollgates within 10 mins of themselsves and charge an average of N120 per car EVERYTIME you pass any of the tollgates, and only an even MORE wicked governor will use tear gas and armed policemen to disperse the people when the come out to voice their disapproval

Bros easy 10 cars every minutes mean 1 car in 6 seconds, Does this make sense? When its not jets people are driving

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

N45,000 Bait Used To Arrest Employment Syndicate Members / Dilapidation Of Police Barracks And Station In Obudu, Rivers Stat / Akeredolu, Makinde : President Buhari Give Nod To Tackle Criminals

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 168
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.