Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,412 members, 7,822,921 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 07:28 PM

The CV That “works” In Nigeria – Adenike Fadina - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / The CV That “works” In Nigeria – Adenike Fadina (35592 Views)

Important Sections Of A CV That Must Be Included / See The Viral CV That Captured The Attention Of A Big CEO In A Tech Company / Click To Download The CV Template That Has Won Over 1000 Job Interviews! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

The CV That “works” In Nigeria – Adenike Fadina by Etemma1(m): 12:23pm On Dec 06, 2012
I have observed that writing a CV in Nigeria is something people put off for as long as possible and when they eventually get to it, they have the impression that so long as important elements such as work experience, educational qualifications and bio-data are in place, a CV is complete.

I beg to disagree. I believe that your CV is an account or narration of yourself. It is YOU talking about YOU in YOUR very own words and in the best way possible. It starts from who you are, to all the places you have been and how you have contributed to those places; your achievements, how you spent your time, and even personal details like your marital status and so on. Bearing this in mind, every detail and information provided must be meticulously considered and articulately presented. Put your most flattering qualities or accomplishments up front and then move gradually to less flattering qualities.

In writing your CV in Nigeria, presentation is everything! Your content, layout, template, font type, font size, line spacing, bullets and borders are all crucial in achieving a great looking CV. If someone has 3 years of experience and another has 6 years of experience, and they are both applying for the same job, the ONLY thing that differentiates them is the way they both present their work experiences.

The basic elements of your CV in Nigeria should be profile, work experience, achievements (if any), trainings (if any), educational qualifications, bio-data, hobbies and referees. Please note that no particular format or template is cast in stone, every template can be amended to suit a particular requirement at any given time.

I would rather a profile to an objective. An objective is simply a goal while a profile is a brief description that summarizes your qualities, vis-a-vis where you are coming from and where you hope to be. It shouldn’t be more than two sentences or three short sentences at most.

Experience

Your experience(s) should indicate the name of the company, your designation/title, your job description and the duration of service. The address of the company is not compulsory except you are applying for a job outside of your state or country of residence. Your experience(s) should follow a chronological sequence (most recent to least recent). Also stick to the present tense when describing your current job description.

Achievements

This is a run-down of exceptional accomplishments you have bagged over a period of time. It can include a record breaking GP, an award, a surpassed target, an impeccable record and the likes. Your achievements are supposed to score you extra points with a potential employee but if it does otherwise, chuck it.

Bio-data

Your bio-data which consists of your date of birth, sex and state of origin are not necessarily your most important details. Infact, it could serve as a disadvantage. Should you apply for a particular vacancy and you are past the age requirement, if your age is the first thing a potential employer sees, you are likely to be disqualified even before your CV is given a proper appraisal. So it’s best to keep those details at the tail end of your CV.

Points to bear in mind:

Chose bold and legible fonts
Use simple and unambiguous words. Leave no room for vagueness.
Have a focus and find a way to infuse your interest and specialization into your CV
Be accountable. Always account for time spent. Ensure your CV reflects that you are constantly adding value, honing your skills or getting more education.
Never include in your CV what you are not a 100% certain will be a plus.
Keep your CV to a maximum of three pages except you have had several years of experience.
Ensure that you can defend everything that you have written in your CV
Lastly, don’t forget to KISS! (Keep It Short and Simple!)

See you at the top!

Adenike Fadina is the Project Manager for Nigerian lifestyle site, www.pulse.com.ng. She has several years of experience in the Nigerian Media/PR industry and is passionate about empowering the Nigerian job seeker with the right tools to improving their job search process.

source:http://jobfinder.com.ng/blog/2012/12/05/the-cv-that-works-in-nigeria-adenike-fadina/

7 Likes

Re: The CV That “works” In Nigeria – Adenike Fadina by Pulseng: 1:13pm On Dec 06, 2012
Nice one! Miss Adenike. I'll definitely take a queue on this..
Re: The CV That “works” In Nigeria – Adenike Fadina by An0nimus: 1:44pm On Dec 06, 2012
*bookmarked*
Re: The CV That “works” In Nigeria – Adenike Fadina by NoQualms1(f): 2:07pm On Dec 06, 2012
Wow, I never knew one can include awards in one's CV. Thanks OP.

1 Like

Re: The CV That “works” In Nigeria – Adenike Fadina by Nobody: 2:52pm On Dec 06, 2012
abeg go sit down if you write only your name for cv you get a job so long u have a right link na cv dem won chop or who u know

25 Likes

Re: The CV That “works” In Nigeria – Adenike Fadina by hustla(m): 2:52pm On Dec 06, 2012
Pulseng: Nice one! Miss Adenike. I'll definitely take a queue on this..

Take a 'cue' on your English 1st!

25 Likes

Re: The CV That “works” In Nigeria – Adenike Fadina by 3direct: 2:53pm On Dec 06, 2012
award is good on CV bro!!
Re: The CV That “works” In Nigeria – Adenike Fadina by hustla(m): 2:53pm On Dec 06, 2012
lekibraky: abeg go sit down if you write only your name for cv you get a job so long u have a right link na cv dem won chop or who u know

1000000%. True tok!

6 Likes

Re: The CV That “works” In Nigeria – Adenike Fadina by hustla(m): 2:54pm On Dec 06, 2012
No Qualms: Wow, I never knew one can include awards in one's CV. Thanks OP.

Award and Certifications!
Re: The CV That “works” In Nigeria – Adenike Fadina by Techwriter: 2:55pm On Dec 06, 2012
^^^ ofcourse it also depends on what you are applying for. Your CV can also include your media appearances and results of projects you have embarked on (if positive)
Re: The CV That “works” In Nigeria – Adenike Fadina by free2ryhme: 2:57pm On Dec 06, 2012
JUST DEY LAFF SHA

1 Like

Re: The CV That “works” In Nigeria – Adenike Fadina by obi123: 2:59pm On Dec 06, 2012
hobbies and referees

Hobbies - unless it is something that presents you as a top team player, or highlights your passion for something like volunteering or fundraising etc , something outstanding that you do , then dont bother writing this on your CV if you are going to write the cliche , i like to read , make friends and travel

Referees- the issue with referees is that its normal to ask for your referees whether you include it on your CV or not , so why include it at all and take up valuable space on your 2 page CV , moreso i'm not sure its right to include people's details on a document that only God knows where it will end up when you have not even been called for an interview

Awards should never be left out , it presents you in a good light , it presents you as an achiever no matter how small it is, it tells the recruiter that you have been recognized for doing something .

also very handy is any written acknowledgement it could be emails or certificates that you have received thanking you for a job well done from your boss or colleagues, anything to give the recruiter an insight as to how you are as a staff

3 Likes

Re: The CV That “works” In Nigeria – Adenike Fadina by OSAEI: 3:01pm On Dec 06, 2012
free2ryhme: JUST DEY LAFF SHA

i guess u hv gotten one already
Re: The CV That “works” In Nigeria – Adenike Fadina by collinsola: 3:02pm On Dec 06, 2012
Write ur CV any how,if u like put your name for button who wan employ you go do so,when you don write every every ur CV go enter 10pages at the end work you nor go see..

Do your thing your own way...

3 Likes

Re: The CV That “works” In Nigeria – Adenike Fadina by miteolu(m): 3:05pm On Dec 06, 2012
Theory
Re: The CV That “works” In Nigeria – Adenike Fadina by Nobody: 3:06pm On Dec 06, 2012
Bullshyt.

The only CV that works is when you have a connected relative in the organization. If not, OYO. On ya own cheesy

6 Likes

Re: The CV That “works” In Nigeria – Adenike Fadina by 1forall: 3:24pm On Dec 06, 2012
Super good advise. Smh at the pessimists

1 Like

Re: The CV That “works” In Nigeria – Adenike Fadina by Nobody: 3:28pm On Dec 06, 2012
i agree. where i'm working now, plenty ppl send in cv everyday. i was recommended by someone and i started training immediately. them no even look my cv sef....my broda, na God.
hustla:

1000000%. True tok!

2 Likes

Re: The CV That “works” In Nigeria – Adenike Fadina by Ngwakwe: 3:31pm On Dec 06, 2012
In my Company, I don't really employ people based on the presentation or the volume of their CVs rather by grading their intelligent quotient. Half of the Jobs in Nigeria can be done by anybody with high IQ after brief training or even on the Job training.

Don't mind the voluminous thesis people call CV and University abused Script called Certificate.

Natural(talent) and Home acquired Intelligence is still an assets when combine with definite specialized training and education not forgetting industrial/workplace experience.

Always talk with your "would be" employee without minding the "papers" to ascertain his/her Intelligent Quotient before issuing an appointment letter.

9 Likes

Re: The CV That “works” In Nigeria – Adenike Fadina by yemmight(m): 3:38pm On Dec 06, 2012
collinsola: Write ur CV any how,if u like put your name for button who wan employ you go do so,when you don write every every ur CV go enter 10pages at the end work you nor go see..

Do your thing your own way...

One day, I hope we can change the mentality we have in Nigeria. An experienced person has come here to give a piece of advice that will really help and look at some comments. I am shocked. I am recruiter and sometimes you are so attracted to some CV's that you can't just let go of them. I have, severally returned CV's to applicants for not putting up attracting CV's. I can always ignore them since they are not useful. My advice really to them is to re-do their CV's or they may not get jobs. Please change this mentality.

7 Likes

Re: The CV That “works” In Nigeria – Adenike Fadina by RonneyMister: 3:39pm On Dec 06, 2012
Dat one na story-story......In Nigeria,wot rili wrks is who u knw...ur connection n d very special grace of God,not ur CV presentation BullCrap...........
Re: The CV That “works” In Nigeria – Adenike Fadina by Nuezha(m): 3:43pm On Dec 06, 2012
This is academic.
Nobody needs a CV to work in his own company. Neither do your children, to work in your company.
Re: The CV That “works” In Nigeria – Adenike Fadina by highlandre(m): 3:45pm On Dec 06, 2012
Forget jor! Have the best CV with no connection to influence your employment, then you'll write your own book titled "How the Best CVs Mean Nothing in Nigeria". An oshi system!

1 Like

Re: The CV That “works” In Nigeria – Adenike Fadina by MrHim(m): 3:49pm On Dec 06, 2012
hustla:

Lolz! Must you?
Re: The CV That “works” In Nigeria – Adenike Fadina by Emmy9ite(m): 3:49pm On Dec 06, 2012
So much negativity on this thread. Lemme go out before craps will get attracted to me. Smh

2 Likes

Re: The CV That “works” In Nigeria – Adenike Fadina by queenesthr(f): 3:51pm On Dec 06, 2012
highlandre: Nice effort trying to make people know how to write CV, but CVs mean nothing unless a powerful person's name is included or involved

If you don't know a powerful person why not give yourself an edge by writing a powerful CV?
Anyway, I don't believe powerful people go about giving jobs to mediocres.
Prove that you are intelligent and that you can deliver and any reasonable recruiter will give you a chance.

9 Likes

Re: The CV That “works” In Nigeria – Adenike Fadina by rohzey(f): 4:01pm On Dec 06, 2012
hustla:

Re: The CV That “works” In Nigeria – Adenike Fadina by azpekuliar: 4:02pm On Dec 06, 2012
Abegi! na today we don dey write am? angry

if work no dey, e no dey!

1 Like

Re: The CV That “works” In Nigeria – Adenike Fadina by rohzey(f): 4:03pm On Dec 06, 2012
hustla:

Oops! shocked
Re: The CV That “works” In Nigeria – Adenike Fadina by Nobody: 4:06pm On Dec 06, 2012
I'm going to re-write my CV asap. That long sentence I can't even make sense of is leaving MY cv. Employers,look out for meeeee.

3 Likes

Re: The CV That “works” In Nigeria – Adenike Fadina by SELFWORTH: 4:09pm On Dec 06, 2012
Let them create a fair recruitment process first before we start on the CV .

In Nigeria , CV won't get you anywhere if you have no connections with anyone in the company. Even if you put all the awards, certificates, experience, projects in the world on the CV.

3 Likes

Re: The CV That “works” In Nigeria – Adenike Fadina by Nonybb: 4:14pm On Dec 06, 2012
Na CV we go chop? Give job abeg mtscheww nonsense

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

FG Orders The Recruitment Of Constables For Community Policing / I Was Scammed Today At My First Day Of Work / Man Shares The Strict Rules Attached To A N100k Job He Once Applied For

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.