Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,816 members, 7,817,366 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:06 AM

POLL:which 9JA act deserves a Grammy world music category nomination - Music/Radio (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / POLL:which 9JA act deserves a Grammy world music category nomination (4565 Views)

Poll: which naija musician deserves a grammy nomination in the world music category

2 FACE IDIBIA: 16% (9 votes)
D'BANJ: 14% (8 votes)
P'SQUARE: 22% (12 votes)
FAZE: 37% (20 votes)
9ICE: 9% (5 votes)
This poll has ended

Your Thoughts On D'banj's "Top Of The World" Music Video / Femi Kuti Nominated For A Grammy Award For The Third Time / Do You Think Any Nigeria Musician Can Win a Grammy? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: POLL:which 9JA act deserves a Grammy world music category nomination by kashikapor(m): 11:48am On Feb 22, 2008
would hv wanted to remove 9ice and slot ASA in the poll but oga Seun has given us limited or no access to polls,

Re: POLL:which 9JA act deserves a Grammy world music category nomination by jawosin(m): 3:05pm On Feb 22, 2008
you wanted to remove someone who has a chance with his unique voice and lyrics, something nigeria is seeing for the first time and leave someone who shouts about his privates all over the place. i do not think u sef know about this topic so maybe u shud not have started it in the first place. i think you need to og research past grammy nominees and winners in this section and listen to the kind of music they produce, psquare cant eeven make it to grammy dorrstep cos copyright police will first tackle them, dbanj lacks content, faze sounds like every other american rand b artist. the only people who stand a real chance are 2face, 9ice and Asa because they bring something unique to the industry
Re: POLL:which 9JA act deserves a Grammy world music category nomination by jawosin(m): 3:06pm On Feb 22, 2008
and i agree with the previous poster, you are clueless and just here to advertise ur crap
Re: POLL:which 9JA act deserves a Grammy world music category nomination by kashikapor(m): 1:17am On Feb 23, 2008
elenu lo lenu e, mk dem talk
Re: POLL:which 9JA act deserves a Grammy world music category nomination by ronkarazo(m): 4:04pm On Feb 26, 2008
asa anyday
Re: POLL:which 9JA act deserves a Grammy world music category nomination by mrmetoo(m): 5:02pm On Feb 26, 2008
I hate to go with the crowd but I vote Asa too. Also, I could think of 2 people I could remove to make way for T.Y. Bello and Asa. Going with this list though, 2face any day, he has already put his stamp on the world music stage. All he has to do now is to raise the bar with future projects as Asa has already done.
Re: POLL:which 9JA act deserves a Grammy world music category nomination by eldee(m): 6:48pm On Feb 26, 2008
kashikapor:

Babaearly, cool down small ASA is good but that one no mean say mk u bobo us say she popular for Europe, ah ah
how much airplay does she have ob BEN TV, AIT INT'L, OBE TV, PASSION TV, VOICE OF AFRICA RADIO OR BROADMIX TV,

This post was either borne of outright hate or just ignorance
For goodness sake, we should be happy that a nigerian artiste rose to this level
BEN TV, AIT INT'L, OBE TV, PASSION TV, VOICE OF AFRICA RADIO OR BROADMIX TV

is that how you judge popularity in Europe, she's getting airplay on top radio stations(even BBC), and u're talking bout AIT
for goodness sake SHE SELLS AT HMV, ASDA, and everytop store not nigerian corner shops. . .abeg what part of London do you stay?at least even if your on freeview you woulda seen her advert on ITV
Re: POLL:which 9JA act deserves a Grammy world music category nomination by eldee(m): 7:22pm On Feb 26, 2008
See what the UK's best critics thinks about Asa

As the music industry scrambles to churn out Amy Winehouse clones like Duffy and Adele, Asa seems like a distinctive new voice
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/arts/main.jhtml?xml=/arts/2008/02/18/bmasa118.xml  The Telegraph- UK Review:

This Nigerian singer-songwriter might actually be a twenty-first century Bob Marley, bringing together the best of Western and African music in a funky fusion that opens hearts and minds and paves the way for deeper understanding. However, she is currently being approached by MTV to take the role of 'ambassador for Africa', which would seem to go hand-in-hand with her stated aim ''to show the world that something beautiful and positive can come out of the black continent
http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/release/68p2/

www.ukmix.org/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1170484 - 88k  She's Twenty-sixth on this chart

Although there’s a lot of this kind of music - this blend of soul, funk, and folk with electronic sensibilities, with hints of world music - around at the moment, we are fortunately a long way from being mired in it. Asa’s eponymous debut
http://www.virginmedia.com/music/reviews/albumreviews/asa-asa.php Virgin Media Review. . .Note the four stars

Asa (pronounced Asha) is a 25 year old Nigerian guitarist/songstress with an amazing smoky smooth voice (a bit like Macy Gray or Erykah Badu) and a folk/soul/jazz style akin to Tracy Chapman, India.Arie, Norah Jones, or even Lauryn Hill on her MTv Unplugged disc. . .These songs are awesome; words alone cannot do justice to them. I haven't been this excited about music in a bit. Asa is definitely going to go places, and I urge everyone to go get this CD, you'll definitely be in awe.

http://www.amazon.com/Asa/dp/B000X25G6S - Amazon
Re: POLL:which 9JA act deserves a Grammy world music category nomination by ronkarazo(m): 11:32am On Feb 27, 2008
this place don turn to warfront now abi?
Its not anyones fault, i blame Eedris Abdul Kareem our Olympic flag bearer for killing his career so quickly over the 50 cent bruhaha,
He is the perfect candidate to TOP a world music nomination, mad as it may sound, people from other parts of the world will think that his figidi kpigidi migidi tongue twist is his mother tongue, and as you all well know, music is a unversal language.
His swagger unbeatable, his confidence amiable, his braggadocio- to the high heavens, thats the man Eedris Abdul Kareem.
, but before u make a comment about me not talking about his talent, yes that dude is talented, may i remind you that in his hay days he jumped on many a stage and rocked world standard concerts thrilling audiences and critics like myself.

I dare say that even the likes of Mode 9 and Sauce kid cannot rock a crowd the same way Eedris can and has! end of discussion.
Questions, comments, attacks , rhetorics all welcome.

BTW AS PER POLLS REMOVE 9ICE AND P-SQUARE,
ASA, TY BELLO, JEREMIAH GYANG also deserve a chance.

@eldee, anyody can sell in HMV and ASDA in London ooooo TY the rapper has his dusty cds on the shelves at ZAVVI, and Indespesibles also have their cds taking up space in one of those high brow shops, and it aint moving.

, but dude lets be sincere popularity is measured by alot of parameters including an impressive amount of tour dates, now ASA needs the support her ethnic community/media abroad to actually make an impact say in Europe and the States to actually get good gigs.

Telegraph, BBC, all those reviews are good but don't forget that these guys are only doing their job, she probably knows ILKA SCHLOKERMANN who is the PR goddess for African artistes abroad so reviews like that aint a big issue ( not rocket science).

I am proud of Asa i love her music, but lets cut the bullshit.
Re: POLL:which 9JA act deserves a Grammy world music category nomination by kashikapor(m): 2:16pm On Feb 27, 2008
PLS people this no be battlefield.
the artistes picked are by choice, my perogative i should say.

i have tried to add more names to the list but OGA SEUN don disabled the poll.

feel free to tell all of us whom you'd also love to see get a nomination, and maybe OGA SEUN will kool down.

OTHER OUTSTANDING ACTS
[list]
[li]ASA
NNENNA
NNEKA
DARE
INFINITY
JAHDIEL
IZUKA
MUYIWA
DOZIE
JEREMIAH GYANG
MI
SILER SADDIH
TAVIAN
TY BELLO
ROOFTOP MCS
UCHI AFRICAN ROCKSTAR
OD.[/li]
[li][/li]
[/list]

NO NEED TO ARGUE JUST SAY YOUR OWN, no one is a slowpoke for having an opinion, and i hope y'all kno that opinions are like assholes, everybody's got one!
Re: POLL:which 9JA act deserves a Grammy world music category nomination by eldee(m): 3:38pm On Feb 27, 2008
ronkarazo:

His swagger unbeatable, his confidence amiable, his braggadocio- to the high heavens,  thats the man Eedris Abdul Kareem.
, but before u make a comment about me not talking about  his talent,  yes that dude is talented, may i remind you that in his hay days he jumped on many a stage and rocked world standard concerts thrilling audiences and critics like myself.

Oh my freaking dayz, first of all Eedris of all the gazzillion naija musicians
And which part of the world do they dish out grammy's for swagger, erm how many grammy's does Lil-Wayne have
Besides since when did they start giving grammy's for selling concert tickets
Bruv, I have to admit that I'm totally dissapointed in that post. . .
Check the Grammy website, they honor artistic achievement, technical proficiency and overall excellence in the recording industry, without regard to album sales or chart position.

Now tell me which of them Eedris songs has any of those. . . BTW, for which of the categories? abi grammy dey for best jumper? grin grin

About the BBC reviews, let me give you an example of how critical the BBC is

Life is truly different now; Jay has gone all corporate, holidays in St. Topaz, good credit, a few years of 'retirement'.Is it any suprise then that the need to lyrically impress isn't so high on his agenda?Don’t get me wrong, of course he still has the charisma and brilliant wordplay, but, on many of the tracks here, he just sounds uninterested

This is an album that got a grammy nomination they're talking about.

BTW Asa has countless good reviews from everywhere, Virgin, Classic and many others. . .
But for her to get such good reviews from BBC, Telegraph and even a 'not so encouragin' one from The Guardian, says a lot about her talent.
Some British artistes don't even get reviews in top bodies like that.
if it's Schlocharmann, why didn't JJC or African China get them reviews? Gimme a break
By the way does she do reviews for Guardian, Metro, Vigin and the rest of 'em?
Ohh, now the BBC will put it's integrity at stake and give a good review, the same one that is respected by mainstream artistes?

And about selling at Mega Stores
Ola Onabule, TY Bello and other talented artistes abroad have had one major problem, they haven't been able to break away from the BME(i.e the Black and minority ethnic) entertainment
That's exactly what Asa has suceeded in doing, and she has sold it to the white folks
so who gives an eff if AIT doesn't play your song when you get airtime on top UK radio stations, and being approached by MTV, to be music Ambassador to Africa?
I'm so proud of her even if she doesn't command home attention like Femi Kuti cheesy
White folks here are feeling her and buying her stuff, I'm now proudly nigerian, not naija(If u know what I mean) grin grin cheesy
Re: POLL:which 9JA act deserves a Grammy world music category nomination by eldee(m): 4:29pm On Feb 27, 2008
kashikapor:

Babaearly, cool down small ASA is good but that one no mean say mk u bobo us say she popular for Europe, ah ah
how much airplay does she have ob BEN TV, AIT INT'L, OBE TV, PASSION TV, VOICE OF AFRICA RADIO OR BROADMIX TV,
This is most deff not an opinion, it's a fallacy
and that's the only of your views I disputed, not the part where you said D-banj could win a grammy wink

My99cents is that, I'm not saying Asa will win a grammy, but right now she's the closest naija will get to that level. . .
she's our most 'worldwide-accepted' export since Afro-beat

If u need to, here's a list of her concerts, I just got one for for a niner wink

http://www.naive.fr/sites/asa/spip.php?page=concerts&lang=en#pagination_page
Re: POLL:which 9JA act deserves a Grammy world music category nomination by ronkarazo(m): 4:31pm On Feb 27, 2008
@eldee, na kolomental dey worry you.
i finally get your point.

bbc, guardian and them lot are better than our own shit, yeah? gotcha.! well the Eedris story was just to get you started and get you to yarn some more. Not that i'm eating my words aout Eedris, but damn Dude, Asa aint all that and i say so.

All that your diploma of Google wey u just do to look intelligent no hook us ehn, lol
'bout u being proudly Nigerian, not naija, dude that is a lame rhyme.

Well i used to be like you when i was younger, but now i'm wiser and know how to get people like you to talk.
NOW AIN'T THAT AN ART.
Re: POLL:which 9JA act deserves a Grammy world music category nomination by eldee(m): 6:01pm On Feb 27, 2008
You see why you'll never stop sounding stupid?
when I'm interested in sumn, i study everything about it, now tell me if there's a law against that?
it's called the thirst for knowledge, or isn't that why I'm on nland
infact u for go comot google for internet. . .

I saw Asa's album release on ITV and I went on to see what gave her that kind of popularity?
After I read the reviews and her London Metro interview, i was really suprised that sumone that claims to be nigerian will come on net and start spewing fuckeries. . .

Now u want to get at my line, dude get a life!!!

bbc, guardian and them lot are better than our own shit, yeah? gotcha.!
Err, now it's official. . . u have a single-digit IQ, so now, is it not the grammy's we're talking about?
will 'the recording academy' go to 'hiphop world' to get nominees, or did you think Femi got a grammy by performing in naija

i don't really blame you, i blame myself for trying to dicuss objectively with sumone that think Edris deserves a grammy
Re: POLL:which 9JA act deserves a Grammy world music category nomination by ronkarazo(m): 7:44pm On Feb 27, 2008
@ELDEE
OMG
KILA GBE KILE JU.

E NO REACH LYKE DAT NOW. HABA YOU JUST DEY BURST LIKE CASSIUS CLAY ON STEROIDS.
EVERY NAIJA ARTISTE DESERVES TO BE NOMINATED FOR ANY KIND OF AWARD, SO MK WE NO JUST YARN ABOUT EEDRIS ALONE, !!!
WE TOO GET TALENT CHECK YOUTUBE OR ANYWHERE TO WATCH WHAT COMES OUT OF NAIJA.

SO INSTEAD OF US BANTERING ON ABOUT ASA OR WHOEVER WHY WE NO JUST TRY UPHOLD ALL OUR ACTS GOOD OR NOT SO GOOD.

AND I NO GO SHOCK IF YOU STILL REPLY ME AS YOU TOO GET HOME TRAINING.
Re: POLL:which 9JA act deserves a Grammy world music category nomination by eldee(m): 9:50pm On Feb 27, 2008
lol. . .apologies for the way I presented my point in the last post

I agree with ur opinion on this case, yeah Nigeria's got talent, but it's obvious that the exposure ain't just there
Now we have sumone that has this acceptance that everyone has been hoping for. . .why don't we support her?
The exposure to the non-BME audience is one Angelique Kidjo and Femi Kuti have that others have not been able to get a hold of
Asa has managed to gather a little of that, and with her type of music, this is the only person ou can put your money on

If we're to be realistic, in the next ten years, no nigerian-based artiste will win a grammy for any of the Big Four
Also, none will win for best rap or best R n' B, Best Pop or any other one
the only one a sensible naija artiste can go for is one of the world music grammys', that's increasing her chances too. . .

That was just my own opinion, if any nigerian artiste deserves it, then it's most def Asa. . .
Re: POLL:which 9JA act deserves a Grammy world music category nomination by kashikapor(m): 11:53pm On Mar 04, 2008
did u vote?

did u just browse and click away?

did u think the nominees weren't up to par?

why not have your say, and tell us wat u think.

i'd hv loved to add:
LARA GEORGE
ROOFTOP MC'S
XPROJECT
KUNLE AKINTAYO
IMLAH
SAMMY OKPOSO
Re: POLL:which 9JA act deserves a Grammy world music category nomination by Rochalis(m): 4:22pm On Mar 12, 2008
nnenna
Re: POLL:which 9JA act deserves a Grammy world music category nomination by Rochalis(m): 4:27pm On Mar 12, 2008
nnenna
Re: POLL:which 9JA act deserves a Grammy world music category nomination by tecquilla(f): 4:47pm On Mar 12, 2008
Nnenna is not a bad pick.She also gets my vote.She is one singer once undererstimated.Who knows she might just surprise us all.
Re: POLL:which 9JA act deserves a Grammy world music category nomination by tecquilla(f): 4:50pm On Mar 12, 2008
grin grin ;DArtistes who deserve grammies in this country are so damned few.There's a trailer load of commercial acts who lack one crucial thing:substance.
Re: POLL:which 9JA act deserves a Grammy world music category nomination by tecquilla(f): 4:58pm On Mar 12, 2008
i heard nnenna once and became hooked.That babe is definitely going to take the world.But the question is;will a nigerian act ever get to win a grammy in the next 4years. grin ;DThat award no be beans o!If it ever happens,i know the winner will be an act nobody ever expected.Even Rkelly himself never get grammy. cool coolI won't tell y'all to stop dreaming because who knows,we might just get one big shock soon!
Re: POLL:which 9JA act deserves a Grammy world music category nomination by tosinadeda: 8:56pm On Mar 13, 2008
Nne whooooooooooooooooooo
abeg jare nnena my foot

ASA all the way
Re: POLL:which 9JA act deserves a Grammy world music category nomination by OJWIZZY: 10:39pm On Mar 15, 2008
Liricks, vocals, concept, which includes your video, producers, managers, fans, copies sold, and most especially style counts. 2face is close nxt 2 Asa. D banj is 2 steps away. no reasonable liricks, no vocals. he only talks. P square? not close at all. Faze is just DeR. Personaly i think the Root cud av it, say Fuji, Afro etc

(1) (2) (Reply)

Download Mp3: Runtown – Baby Answer (prod. Shizzi) / Azonto Dance! Made In Ghana / Download Big Brother-"see Gobe" Mp3

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.