Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,510 members, 7,954,934 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 12:48 PM

The Fallacy Of Unemployment - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / The Fallacy Of Unemployment (973 Views)

It Is A Fallacy That No Knowledge Is a Wasted one / Help! "I Signed Myself Into Slavery because Of Unemployment N Now I Can't Get Out" / Unemployment in Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

The Fallacy Of Unemployment by perfectgen(m): 12:23pm On Dec 10, 2012
I weep for this country; the majority of our educated youths are unemployed. Having gone through the hardship of academic stress in our tertiary institutions, we can not but wait for that day when our hardwork would pay off. Unfortunately, we are now out of school and still awaiting that day when we would be gainfully employed. We are yet to stop depending on our parent's benevolence; not because we are not trying to get a job but because the employers wouldn't employ us. The painful part is atimes, we are so sure we did wonderfully well during the interview yet we never get the offer. Sometimes, the employers promise to get back to us, but if we wait for eternity, we still wouldn't get called. Based on all these unwholesome events, we tend to begin to believe that we are actually unemployable. I have only six things to tell you about the lies they tell us.
1. They say majority of us are unemployable just to cover up for the fact that they never wanted to employ us in the first place. It is just a case of calling the dog a bad name just to hang it.
2. They demand from us what they themselves do not have or how can we explain employers asking for a number of professional affiliations and certifications which the employer apparently does not have.
3. They ask you to cheapen yourself by trying to underpay you or in the case of the ladies, make you go the long mile, only for them to later come and say you are not qualified.
4. They use recruiting firms to employ you and in that process would set questions most of them cannot confidently answer well just for them to make majority of the applicants fail.
5. They make us apply for job openings that they have either filled up or have people they want to give these slots.
6. More than 75% of applicants for any job opening would end up not getting the job because there are limited openings but it is in less than 10% of Nigeria job openings that applicants are selected on merit.
In conclusion, do not be deceived, you are not the problem, work harder on becoming better, gain new skills and don't ever give up; you will get your own job.

2 Likes

(1) (Reply)

Flour Mill Contract Work / For Those With A Focus / Maths Guru This Woman Needs Ur Help!!!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.