Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,745 members, 7,809,842 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:52 PM

Police Deny $1billion Ransom For Okonjo-iweala’s Mom - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Police Deny $1billion Ransom For Okonjo-iweala’s Mom (11082 Views)

Governors Demand For Okonjo-Iweala’s Resignation / Parcel Bomb For Okonjo-Iweala Dropped At Post-Office / N10M Ransom Paid For Okonjo-Iweala’s Mother - Vanguard (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Police Deny $1billion Ransom For Okonjo-iweala’s Mom by Ptimes: 8:34pm On Dec 10, 2012
The police in Delta state has denied abductors of Kanene Okonjo, mother of Nigeria’s Finance minister, are demanding $1billion as ransom.

Delta state police commissioner, Ikechukwu Aduba, told PREMIUM TIMES the police is not aware of speculated demands. He said the police are working hard to rescue the 85 year old professor.

PREMIUM TIMES could not independently confirm the ransom demand as close associates of the victim refused to comment about her kidnap on record.

The mother of the Finance Minister was kidnapped Sunday afternoon from her home at about 1:30 pm by eight gunmen who invaded her husband’s palace at Ogbe-Ofu quarters in Ogwahi-Uku.

Shortly after her arrest, the police declared they already had information about the kidnappers and have deployed a “massive manhunt” for them.

The police promised to rescue her in 24 hours.

Although the 24 hours given by the police has long passed, the state’s police commissioner is optimistic his officers will bring the professor back home, unscathed “soon.”

“We have been able to rescue about 40 victims before,” Mr. Aduba said.

Insider factor

As part of its investigation, the police said it is inviting family members and close associates of the victim for questioning.

Mr. Aduba said in cases like this, there is always an “insider factor” and his command is not leaving that out.

One of the children of the Okonjo family, Onyema Okonjo, had earlier blamed security lapses for the kidnap of his mother.

Lucrative industry

Kidnapping, once used as a tool by militants to challenge marginalization of the oil rich states of the Niger Delta, has become the most lucrative crime in the area.

Security experts estimate the kidnap crime industry is worth over N10 billion in the Niger Delta states.

In Delta state, atleast a dozen government officials and others with familial links to government officials have been kidnapped.

Often, families of the victim are made to part with huge sums to secure their release.

Most victims also deny paying ransom to secure their release, thereby encouraging the crime which thrives on intimidation.

Read more: http://premiumtimesng.com/news/110552-police-deny-1billion-ransom-for-okonjo-iwealas-mom.html
Re: Police Deny $1billion Ransom For Okonjo-iweala’s Mom by Nobody: 2:05am On Dec 11, 2012
Good for our greedy leaders. Boys are not smiling. Anyway, 1st to comment. Thank God

3 Likes

Re: Police Deny $1billion Ransom For Okonjo-iweala’s Mom by lafuria1(m): 2:06am On Dec 11, 2012
police are working hard abi.......high profile case, while our basic security is of very low profile case.....

1 Like

Re: Police Deny $1billion Ransom For Okonjo-iweala’s Mom by MajeOfficial: 2:06am On Dec 11, 2012
RIP
Re: Police Deny $1billion Ransom For Okonjo-iweala’s Mom by baby124: 2:14am On Dec 11, 2012
Nigerian politicians think their foreign counterparts are mugu. Well, this is the benefit of oversharp, over thief and over greed. It just started. These criminals have robbed the common man taya. Now they have armed themselves with the same arms politicians give them to terrorize people. The same arms is what they will use to deal with the politicians. It is a vicious circle. Good luck to all involved. Thief, thief doesn't pay afterall. If you steal 1 naira, you have robbed a family somewhere of 1naira.it all adds up. undecided

3 Likes

Re: Police Deny $1billion Ransom For Okonjo-iweala’s Mom by greatgod2012(f): 2:14am On Dec 11, 2012
Im never in support of any crime, not even kidnapping or "adultnapping" or any other crime for that matter, but, now, see how d police are running helter skelter because it involves a high profile personality, but if it has to do with someone from humble background, they will pretend as if they are not aware and concerned, may God heal our country.....amen.

1 Like

Re: Police Deny $1billion Ransom For Okonjo-iweala’s Mom by Nobody: 2:31am On Dec 11, 2012
Why won't they deny
Re: Police Deny $1billion Ransom For Okonjo-iweala’s Mom by cr8v(f): 2:35am On Dec 11, 2012
I thought as much
Re: Police Deny $1billion Ransom For Okonjo-iweala’s Mom by Nobody: 2:37am On Dec 11, 2012
Y won't dey deny it?that is all dey know how to do
Re: Police Deny $1billion Ransom For Okonjo-iweala’s Mom by Nobody: 2:40am On Dec 11, 2012
Ptimes: The police in Delta state has denied abductors of Kanene Okonjo, mother of Nigeria’s Finance minister, are demanding $1billion as ransom.

Delta state police commissioner, Ikechukwu Aduba, told PREMIUM TIMES the police is not aware of speculated demands. He said the police are working hard to rescue the 85 year old
professor.

PREMIUM TIMES could not independently confirm the ransom demand as close associates of the victim refused to comment about her kidnap on record.

The mother of the Finance Minister was kidnapped Sunday afternoon from her home at about 1:30 pm by eight gunmen who invaded her husband’s palace at Ogbe-Ofu quarters in Ogwahi-Uku.

Shortly after her arrest, the police declared they already had information about the kidnappers and have deployed a “massive manhunt” for them.

The police promised to rescue her in 24 hours.

Although the 24 hours given by the police has long passed, the state’s police commissioner is optimistic his officers will bring the professor back home, unscathed “soon.”

“We have been able to rescue about 40 victims before,” Mr. Aduba said.

Insider factor

As part of its investigation, the police said it is inviting family members and close associates of the victim for questioning.

Mr. Aduba said in cases like this, there is always an “insider factor” and his command is not leaving that out.

One of the children of the Okonjo family, Onyema Okonjo, had earlier blamed security lapses for the kidnap of his mother.

Lucrative industry

Kidnapping, once used as a tool by militants to challenge marginalization of the oil rich states of the Niger Delta, has become the most lucrative crime in the area.

Security experts estimate the kidnap crime industry is worth over N10 billion in the Niger Delta states.

In Delta state, atleast a dozen government officials and others with familial links to government officials have been kidnapped.

Often, families of the victim are made to part with huge sums to secure their release.

Most victims also deny paying ransom to secure their release, thereby encouraging the crime which thrives on intimidation.

Read more: http://premiumtimesng.com/news/110552-police-deny-1billion-ransom-for-okonjo-iwealas-mom.html

So in 24 hrs of her abduction she has already added 3 years
From 82 to 85 shocked cool cool
Nigerian journalists and shabby reporting
They should hurry up and pay the ransom before the next news item says she is 94
It is ogwashi uku not ogwahi

1 Like

Re: Police Deny $1billion Ransom For Okonjo-iweala’s Mom by Napolitano(m): 2:44am On Dec 11, 2012
I think it is the norm for Nigerian police/SSS to always denies ransom demands and payment. Look at most other kidnapping cases that have occured in the country.
Re: Police Deny $1billion Ransom For Okonjo-iweala’s Mom by phoneport(m): 2:48am On Dec 11, 2012
I HAVE NEVER SUPPORTED CRIME IN MY LIFE, but this one!!!
Well, the game is on I think this is just the BEGINING of a Super Story, which is going to be very interesting.
Hope the president's mother is prepearing for you know....
I nor talk o.

1 Like

Re: Police Deny $1billion Ransom For Okonjo-iweala’s Mom by Nobody: 3:08am On Dec 11, 2012
Re: Police Deny $1billion Ransom For Okonjo-iweala’s Mom by luvmijeje(f): 3:31am On Dec 11, 2012
Thumbs-up to d abductors,keep it up.
This's what we face everyday due to ur greediness,wickedness and corrupt tendencies.
Re: Police Deny $1billion Ransom For Okonjo-iweala’s Mom by salolo(m): 3:34am On Dec 11, 2012
grin grin grin
Re: Police Deny $1billion Ransom For Okonjo-iweala’s Mom by Whobedatte(m): 3:41am On Dec 11, 2012
Igboro O reerin-in , Boyz aren't smiling! Madam Okondo Wahala and your puff-puff cheeks, U see weytin you don cause? How i wish they surrogate the mama with her, &beat the hell out of her! Ewu!!!

3 Likes

Re: Police Deny $1billion Ransom For Okonjo-iweala’s Mom by rickross2: 3:47am On Dec 11, 2012
You see the way most people are happy that this womans mother has been kidnapped.
For the first time on Nairaland, Nigerians are praising kidnappers simply bc this woman is not from yorobberland. Now i know why Nigeria is a failed state.

WHAT HAS NGOZI OKONJO IWEALA DONE, I mean what crime did she commit to deserve this? I could remember many of you lunatics were even supporting confirmed criminals like TINUBU when he was arrested, you all went sentimental bc he is Yoruba abi? I mean tinubu is a confirmed criminal that has bad records everywhere with dozens of foreign banks accounts as evidence, yet you lots were rallying round him claiming he was being prosecuted unjustly by PDP?

But this is a case of an innocent old woman, a professor for that matter There has never been any proven evidence that NOI has stolen Nigerias money. Even if she has, what has it got to do with her mother? ARE YOU GUYS READY TO RECEIVE GODS WRATH AND JUDGEMENT BASED SOLELY ON THE SINS OF YOUR FOREFATHERS?

I HOPE YOU GUYS WILL PRAISE KIDNAPPERS WHEN IT HAPPENS TO ANY NIGERIAN POLITICIAN, NOT JUST BC SHES NIGER DELTAN?

4 Likes

Re: Police Deny $1billion Ransom For Okonjo-iweala’s Mom by temkemol: 4:19am On Dec 11, 2012
Re: Police Deny $1billion Ransom For Okonjo-iweala’s Mom by Pato30(m): 4:37am On Dec 11, 2012
Its a pity that those boys have no respect for her age, education attenment and also the fact that she's a mother to a national treasure like Ngozi okonjo-Iweala. God will punish whoever is behind such evil deeds. Long life the prof.

2 Likes

Re: Police Deny $1billion Ransom For Okonjo-iweala’s Mom by Nobody: 4:48am On Dec 11, 2012
I wonder how some pple think? whats yourba ve to do in this case now? pls use ur brain to think not ur anus.

5 Likes

Re: Police Deny $1billion Ransom For Okonjo-iweala’s Mom by kaffy4tope(m): 4:48am On Dec 11, 2012
rick.ross:
You see the way most people are happy that this womans mother has been kidnapped.
For the first time on Nairaland, Nigerians are praising kidnappers simply bc this woman is not from yorobberland. Now i know why Nigeria is a failed state.

WHAT HAS NGOZI OKONJO IWEALA DONE, I mean what crime did she commit to deserve this? I could remember many of you lunatics were even supporting confirmed criminals like TINUBU when he was arrested, you all went sentimental bc he is Yoruba abi? I mean tinubu is a confirmed criminal that has bad records everywhere with dozens of foreign banks accounts as evidence, yet you lots were rallying round him claiming he was being prosecuted unjustly by PDP?

But this is a case of an innocent old woman, a professor for that matter There has never been any proven evidence that NOI has stolen Nigerias money. Even if she has, what has it got to do with her mother? ARE YOU GUYS READY TO RECEIVE GODS WRATH AND JUDGEMENT BASED SOLELY ON THE SINS OF YOUR FOREFATHERS?

I HOPE YOU GUYS WILL PRAISE KIDNAPPERS WHEN IT HAPPENS TO ANY NIGERIAN POLITICIAN, NOT JUST BC SHES NIGER DELTAN?

Shut d bleep dia. Just because ure from a Godforsaken tribe, a tribe known as the origin of enormous crimes commiting in Nigeria 2day doesn't mean you should vest your uncontrollable anger and stupid frustrations on d well respected, peaceful and easygoing YORUBAS.
You should be in d corner of ur room by now, covering ur face, cos most of dese heinous crimes came frm no where but ur stupid and God rejected tribe. Even ur retardeen, dull, actionless, dindinrin president u hv can never underestimate Yorubas. No be Obasanjo put am dia? If not for Baba wey dey rule frm Ota Farm, ur olodo president would hv long gone.
Just dt lemme see u ever talk to Yorubas lyk dt in ur life "ti sonpanna o ba ti fe pa e"
Finally, wheneva u see a yoruba fellow, u knw hw to address them? say 'YESBOSS'

21 Likes

Re: Police Deny $1billion Ransom For Okonjo-iweala’s Mom by Nobody: 4:58am On Dec 11, 2012
[font=Lucida Sans Unicode][/font]
kaffy4tope:

Shut d bleep dia. Just because ure from a Godforsaken tribe, a tribe known as the origin of enormous crimes commiting in Nigeria 2day doesn't mean you should vest your uncontrollable anger and stupid frustrations on d well respected, peaceful and easygoing YORUBAS.
You should be in d corner of ur room by now, covering ur face, cos most of dese heinous crimes came frm no where but ur stupid and God rejected tribe. Even ur retardeen, dull, actionless, dindinrin president u hv can never underestimate Yorubas. No be Obasanjo put am dia? If not for Baba wey dey rule frm Ota Farm, ur olodo president would hv long gone.
Just dt lemme see u ever talk to Yorubas lyk dt in ur life "ti sonpanna o ba ti fe pa e"
kaffy4tope:

kaffy4tope:

i beg tell am oooo!

1 Like

Re: Police Deny $1billion Ransom For Okonjo-iweala’s Mom by igbeke: 5:00am On Dec 11, 2012
All i see & hear since d start of dis 'match' is bitterness & anger burning from d minds of so many nigerians. not against a perticular person or tribe in isolation, but against every political leader in dis country. some 4 d harm dey r causing, some 4 not raising their voices against it. But trust me wen i say som1 will hav 2 pay 4 it.
i can bet it dat even Oga GEJ and his team of political parasites r not aware wat dis guys r capable of.
Atleast madam NOI never saw dat coming.

1 Like

Re: Police Deny $1billion Ransom For Okonjo-iweala’s Mom by coalcoal1(m): 5:06am On Dec 11, 2012
This thread will surely be derailed to a bashing one.
Re: Police Deny $1billion Ransom For Okonjo-iweala’s Mom by talktrue1(m): 5:17am On Dec 11, 2012
If this crime is not stopped now, they will soon kidnap GOVERNORS.
Had it been our country is developed, they can track her with CCTV or GSM surveillance

1 Like

Re: Police Deny $1billion Ransom For Okonjo-iweala’s Mom by goldfish80(m): 5:20am On Dec 11, 2012
When †ђξ police say they are working hard fø̲̣̣я̅ her release,I hope they don't mean putting upp unnecessary road blocks, as if †ђξ kidnappers will be driving around town with †ђξ woman undecided

1 Like

Re: Police Deny $1billion Ransom For Okonjo-iweala’s Mom by Mmiriariugwu: 5:26am On Dec 11, 2012
I've been following this thread & many other threads relatin to the kidnap of this noble&accomplished&supposedly respectable royal mother.Nigerians have not been fair 2 her atleast 98% of contributors in this forum.Let us begin 2 call spades spades! We should condemn evils in all it's ramifications!Boko boys strikes&we would wish people in authority &victims,kidnapers'll strike we wish same.it's too bad an attitude of us.There's no justification in crime.Whoever has complaint should expres it in civilized&acceptable way, atleast that is d way 2 bringin a positive change in this country

4 Likes

Re: Police Deny $1billion Ransom For Okonjo-iweala’s Mom by Nobody: 5:31am On Dec 11, 2012
jk
Re: Police Deny $1billion Ransom For Okonjo-iweala’s Mom by Emmy9898: 5:36am On Dec 11, 2012
kaffy4tope:

OK !

YESBOSS ! grin grin grin grin grin

YESMASTER ! grin grin grin grin

OLODO ! grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Police Deny $1billion Ransom For Okonjo-iweala’s Mom by Soukiss(m): 5:38am On Dec 11, 2012
let pray for our force ppl so that god will give them knowledge and understanding to combat such art cos they lik knowledge
Re: Police Deny $1billion Ransom For Okonjo-iweala’s Mom by Nobody: 5:39am On Dec 11, 2012
[quote author=]RIP[/quote]

Ouch your mother finally gave up? RIP to her
Re: Police Deny $1billion Ransom For Okonjo-iweala’s Mom by olempe(m): 5:47am On Dec 11, 2012
Whobedatte: Igboro O reerin-in , Boyz aren't smiling! Madam Okondo Wahala and your puff-puff cheeks, U see weytin you don cause? How i wish they surrogate the mama with her, &beat the hell out of her! Ewu!!!

Habah! Na old woman na.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Bomb-blast: Igbo In Kano On 3-day Mourning / BREAKING!!!! Nmandi Kanu Releases Pictures Of Ipob Special Scorpion Squad. / The Sad End Of Sunday Igboho

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.