Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,311 members, 7,815,564 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:37 PM

Blackberry BBM 7; Advantages And Disadvantages - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Blackberry BBM 7; Advantages And Disadvantages (10279 Views)

5 Major Disadvantages Of Android / Advantages And Disadvantages Android Mobile Phone / Advantages And Disadvantages Of Text Messaging (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Blackberry BBM 7; Advantages And Disadvantages by stalyf(m): 1:21pm On Dec 11, 2012
It was just a few weeks ago that BlackBerry Messenger 7 was in beta, and now we're seeing a finished version roll out to BlackBerry App World. Research in Motion continues to try to sweeten the pot for BlackBerry users

There are sometimes I would be chatting, explaining something and I just felt its better explaining by talking instead of typing. Thankfully, BBM 7 has me covered with BBM Voice. It’s available now in BlackBerry App World for devices running BlackBerry 6 OS and higher with support planned for smartphones running the BlackBerry 5 OS early next year.

BBM 7 gives you the freedom to choose how you connect with your BBM contacts. It is designed so you can seamlessly switch from a BBM message to a BBM Voice call for free over Wi-Fi.

Here are some other great features you’ll love in BBM 7:

1. BBM upgrade notifications – BBM will notify you when there are updates to download straight from within the app

2. BBID Synchronization – your BBM profile, Groups and Contacts are linked to your BlackBerry ID

3. 16 Additional emoticons – even more choice for those times when words just aren’t enough. Can you spot the new ones?

But there is a saying that every good thing has its own disadvantages. Here are some issues one might experience when upgrading particularly for Nigerians.

1. BBM 7 requires blackberry ID. Don’t upgrade if you are having issues with your blackberry ID. Make sure your ID is active before you attempt upgrading. You won’t be able to use your BBM till you sort out the ID issue which could be really frustrating. It’s happening to a friend right now.

2. Make sure you back up your contacts both remotely and local backup.

3. Backup feature from BBM is lost in this version, as such, all back up for BBM 7 have to be done with a system and desktop manager.

4. RIM warns that the BBM 7 upgrade may take as long as a day to show up in the store, so don't be disappointed if it's not immediately available; do, however, expect inter-BlackBerry voice calls to get that much cheaper.

5. The voice over wifi is free but one have to connect to a wifi network before making use of the service. One thing I’m asking is how many people have access to free wifi service in Nigeria?

We can’t wait to hear what you think. Be sure to leave us a comment here or tweet to @stalyfblog using #BBMVoice.

Source: http://www.stalyfblog.com/2012/12/bbm-7-advantages-and-disadvantages.html
Re: Blackberry BBM 7; Advantages And Disadvantages by Coldfeet(f): 1:28pm On Dec 11, 2012
I upgraded mine yesterday! And am so loving it especially the new emoticons. And yes the ID thing is an issue too so make sure you sort that out before upgrading. Am not presently connected to a wifi service so I haven't tried the voice thing yet! But am so looking forward to it. Overall verdict AWESOME!!!!!!!!!

2 Likes

Re: Blackberry BBM 7; Advantages And Disadvantages by StPete: 1:29pm On Dec 11, 2012
One other lapse that you failed to mention is the delay of about few seconds noticed between BBM voice calls. This makes it relatively difficult to flow in a conversation.
Re: Blackberry BBM 7; Advantages And Disadvantages by stalyf(m): 1:31pm On Dec 11, 2012
St_Pete: One other lapse that you failed to mention is the delay of about few seconds noticed between BBM voice calls. This makes it relatively difficult to flow in a conversation.

Yea, someone mentioned same thing at my blog. Yet to confirm thou
Re: Blackberry BBM 7; Advantages And Disadvantages by viruz007(m): 4:00pm On Dec 11, 2012
i am a beta tester and i must say the reports of delay are wrong. The voice call is seamless and i love it!!!

As for the wi-fi issue, u can't expect them to consider Nigeria alone cuz we r backward... SA has wi-fi, almost d entire Asia has wi-fi and we are here carrying last. Will write a post offerring a temporary solution for both parties cool

2 Likes

Re: Blackberry BBM 7; Advantages And Disadvantages by walcolm(m): 6:22am On Dec 12, 2012
stalyf:

2. BBID Synchronization – your BBM profile, Groups and Contacts are linked to your BlackBerry ID

But there is a saying that every good thing has its own disadvantages. Here are some issues one might experience when upgrading particularly for Nigerians.

1. BBM 7 requires blackberry ID. Don’t upgrade if you are having issues with your blackberry ID. Make sure your ID is active before you attempt upgrading. You won’t be able to use your BBM till you sort out the ID issue which could be really frustrating. It’s happening to a friend right now. - the only people i expect to have issues would be those using a stolen BB

3. Backup feature from BBM is lost in this version, as such, all back up for BBM 7 have to be done with a system and desktop manager. - This is untrue...your point 2 in the upper section is the answer. backup is even much easier in BBM7 because you dont have to remember to back up, its done for you automatically

We can’t wait to hear what you think. Be sure to leave us a comment here or tweet to @stalyfblog using #BBMVoice.

Re: Blackberry BBM 7; Advantages And Disadvantages by Nobody: 10:09pm On Jan 02, 2013
viruz007: i am a beta tester and i must say the reports of delay are wrong. The voice call is seamless and i love it!!!

As for the wi-fi issue, u can't expect them to consider Nigeria alone cuz we r backward... SA has wi-fi, almost d entire Asia has wi-fi and we are here carrying last. Will write a post offerring a temporary solution for both parties cool

Why do you people like to generalise things just to ridicule the country.
Well for your info, wifi is almost everywhere in nigeria, most are just not free.
In my office anyways, wifi is free to staff. I also heard unilorin offers free wifi to students and staff. So dude speak for yourself. Maybe you live in a backward village like yourself, that's why you don't get wifi connections cos I notice whenever I search for networks, my phone/system finds many connections, but mostly not free. This phenomenon applies to south africa as well, only few wifi are free. I don't know where you got your story from.
The op clearly pointed it categorically that: how many nigerians can access 'free' wifi.
Re: Blackberry BBM 7; Advantages And Disadvantages by Damayor12(m): 1:16am On Jan 03, 2013
Mr. Stalyf Nice one....#That MedilagBoy grin
Re: Blackberry BBM 7; Advantages And Disadvantages by Msauza(m): 7:17am On Jan 03, 2013
speedyboi:

Well for your info, wifi is almost everywhere in nigeria, most are just not free.
In my office anyways, wifi is free to staff. I also heard unilorin offers free wifi to students and staff. So dude speak for yourself. Maybe you live in a backward village like yourself, that's why you don't get wifi connections cos I notice whenever I search for networks, my phone/system finds many connections, but mostly not free. This phenomenon applies to south africa as well, only few wifi are free. I don't know where you got your story from.
The op clearly pointed it categorically that: how many nigerians can access 'free' wifi.

Wrong!!! Am based in SA and wi-fi in my country is free anywhere. Don't make yourself Mr know-it-all, because you will encounter booby traps along the line.
Re: Blackberry BBM 7; Advantages And Disadvantages by ElGabi(m): 7:26am On Jan 03, 2013
stalyf: It was just a few weeks ago that BlackBerry Messenger 7 was in beta, and now we're seeing a finished version roll out to BlackBerry App World. Research in Motion continues to try to sweeten the pot for BlackBerry users

There are sometimes I would be chatting, explaining something and I just felt its better explaining by talking instead of typing. Thankfully, BBM 7 has me covered with BBM Voice. It’s available now in BlackBerry App World for devices running BlackBerry 6 OS and higher with support planned for smartphones running the BlackBerry 5 OS early next year.

BBM 7 gives you the freedom to choose how you connect with your BBM contacts. It is designed so you can seamlessly switch from a BBM message to a BBM Voice call for free over Wi-Fi.

Here are some other great features you’ll love in BBM 7:

1. BBM upgrade notifications – BBM will notify you when there are updates to download straight from within the app

3. 16 Additional emoticons – even more choice for those times when words just aren’t enough. Can you spot the new ones?

1. BBM 7 requires blackberry ID. Don’t upgrade if you are having issues with your blackberry ID. Make sure your ID is active before you attempt upgrading. You won’t be able to use your BBM till you sort out the ID issue which could be really frustrating. It’s happening to a friend right now.

3. Backup feature from BBM is lost in this version, as such, all back up for BBM 7 have to be done with a system and desktop manager.

4. RIM warns that the BBM 7 upgrade may take as long as a day to show up in the store, so don't be disappointed if it's not immediately available; do, however, expect inter-BlackBerry voice calls to get that much cheaper.

5. The voice over wifi is free but one have to connect to a wifi network before making use of the service. One thing I’m asking is how many people have access to free wifi service in Nigeria?

Source: http://www.stalyfblog.com/2012/12/bbm-7-advantages-and-disadvantages.html

Does it ping Heaven? grin tongue
Re: Blackberry BBM 7; Advantages And Disadvantages by ujchief(m): 8:01am On Jan 03, 2013
El Gabi:
funny. Pls ur urgent response is needed...
www.nairaland.com/1149578/urgent-blackberry-nokia-asha-302
Re: Blackberry BBM 7; Advantages And Disadvantages by Nobody: 5:48pm On Jan 03, 2013
Msauza:

Wrong!!! Am based in SA and wi-fi in my country is free anywhere. Don't make yourself Mr know-it-all, because you will encounter booby traps along the line.

From your name, I can tell. Well I was in Johannesburg early last year on an official purpose and I stayed one month. Where I lodged, I used my device to search for wifi and it found three connections all of which I needed a username and a password to access. I don't know your definition of free, But as for me; if a wifi connection requests a username and a password for accessibility, then its not free.

Meanwhile, saying all wifi connections are free in any country is quite ridiculous though.

Then, from my experience, most wifi connections are not free in african countries, believe it or not!
Re: Blackberry BBM 7; Advantages And Disadvantages by Msauza(m): 1:11pm On Jan 04, 2013
speedyboi:

From your name, I can tell. Well I was in Johannesburg early last year on an official purpose and I stayed one month. Where I lodged, I used my device to search for wifi and it found three connections all of which I needed a username and a password to access. I don't know your definition of free, But as for me; if a wifi connection requests a username and a password for accessibility, then its not free.

Meanwhile, saying all wifi connections are free in any country is quite ridiculous though.

Then, from my experience, most wifi connections are not free in african countries, believe it or not!

I say it again, I access wifi anytime, anywhere in Jozi whenever I want to free of charge, MAHALA. Its an initiative by the government to promote info free of charge to the citizens.
Re: Blackberry BBM 7; Advantages And Disadvantages by Nobody: 1:38pm On Jan 04, 2013
^^^so wifi owned by cooperate organizations won't be restricted? It will be accessible to everyone free? Utter Bullshi/t! I say it again, saying all wifi connections in any country is free is very ridiculous and makes every other point valueless.

I'm done replying you! The fact that I personally wasn't able to access free wifi in SA Proves you wrong!
Re: Blackberry BBM 7; Advantages And Disadvantages by stalyf(m): 2:46pm On Jan 04, 2013
El Gabi:

it pings hell grin
Re: Blackberry BBM 7; Advantages And Disadvantages by stalyf(m): 2:47pm On Jan 04, 2013
Damayor12: Mr. Stalyf Nice one....#That MedilagBoy grin

Thanks bro smiley wink
Re: Blackberry BBM 7; Advantages And Disadvantages by ElGabi(m): 2:59pm On Jan 04, 2013
shocked shocked lipsrsealed
stalyf:

it pings hell grin
Re: Blackberry BBM 7; Advantages And Disadvantages by Msauza(m): 4:43pm On Jan 04, 2013
speedyboi: ^^^so wifi owned by cooperate organizations won't be restricted? It will be accessible to everyone free? Utter Bullshi/t! I say it again, saying all wifi connections in any country is free is very ridiculous and makes every other point valueless.

I'm done replying you! The fact that I personally wasn't able to access free wifi in SA Proves you wrong!

You've been in SA for only a month, surely that visit is not long enough to can tell the whole world that you know a lot about South Africa. In South Africa all network communications are regulated by the national government and currently the South African government is planning to install and connect more than 75% of households with internet by 2025. You could have asked one of South Africans to kindly help you to access WI-FI during your short stay in Mzansi.
Re: Blackberry BBM 7; Advantages And Disadvantages by viruz007(m): 12:26am On Jan 05, 2013
speedyboi:

Sorry was not generalizing and i know wat i was talking about. i might not have left d shores of d country but i knw wat happens outside as well as inside. Free wifi in nigeria is hard cuz boys no get joy. as 4 me i use my SGS II tethering to make my voice calls on BBM 7 or use connectify on my laptop making my laptop as a router.
Re: Blackberry BBM 7; Advantages And Disadvantages by Nobody: 12:56am On Jan 05, 2013
viruz007:

Sorry was not generalizing and i know wat i was talking about. i might not have left d shores of d country but i knw wat happens outside as well as inside. Free wifi in nigeria is hard cuz boys no get joy. as 4 me i use my SGS II tethering to make my voice calls on BBM 7 or use connectify on my laptop making my laptop as a router.

Because there's no free wifi, you should say there's no wifi at all? Yes! That's how you said! it wasn't categorical like the op's

And how does 'free' wifi justify the backwardness of a nation?
And do you have to call the country names to drive home your point? That's what you nigerians do best.

About free wifi....actually, its now springing up in major parts of the country, institutions, hotels and MMA
Re: Blackberry BBM 7; Advantages And Disadvantages by thanz(m): 1:50pm On Mar 27, 2013
Nice post @Stalyf.

I however want to say that the backup feature is not lost. BBID synchronization now automates the backup process so you don't need to. If you get a new blackberry device, all you need to do is put in your user ID and password and all your contacts, groups, etc will be automatically populated. It is therefore very important to not forget your blackberry ID.

I hope this helps.

(1) (Reply)

Qualcomm To Unveil The Snapdragon 865 In December / Guys, Infinix Have A New Product / Galaxy S6 Or Blackberry Passport

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.