Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,163 members, 7,953,623 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 08:58 PM

Ile-ife - City Of 201 Gods. (Yoruba Ancestral Home) - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Ile-ife - City Of 201 Gods. (Yoruba Ancestral Home) (32537 Views)

All Ile-ife Women Restricted Indoors Tonight / Anambra Is Ancestral Home Of The Igalas / The Ijebu People And Their Ancestral Hometowns In Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ile-ife - City Of 201 Gods. (Yoruba Ancestral Home) by Nobody: 12:51pm On Dec 12, 2012
ijigbamigb:
Yes it should. But we must first appreciate that which is ours.
Currently, IFA as a religion has around 500,000 worshipers in Brazil alone and around 2 million scattered across the world. But still very unpopular in our Nation.
That's because JEHOVAH is the GOD we worship.
Re: Ile-ife - City Of 201 Gods. (Yoruba Ancestral Home) by aribisala0(m): 12:53pm On Dec 12, 2012
Ada Nri1:
It will not be well with your mother if you don't run along with your Jehovah.Go and create a Jehovah thread and respect other people

7 Likes

Re: Ile-ife - City Of 201 Gods. (Yoruba Ancestral Home) by Nobody: 12:53pm On Dec 12, 2012
@ aribisala, WOW!!!
Re: Ile-ife - City Of 201 Gods. (Yoruba Ancestral Home) by aribisala0(m): 12:55pm On Dec 12, 2012
ijigbamigb:

LOL. What's your source please? I mean the uninterpreted one.
Not sure what you mean by this question.Source of Ifa ??
Re: Ile-ife - City Of 201 Gods. (Yoruba Ancestral Home) by ektbear: 12:56pm On Dec 12, 2012
Interesting.
Re: Ile-ife - City Of 201 Gods. (Yoruba Ancestral Home) by OkikiOluwa1(m): 12:59pm On Dec 12, 2012
franksunny: hope it add value to our nation like jerusalem, mecca and others that you mention
it does. Long live Ile-Ife, long live Yorubaland.
Re: Ile-ife - City Of 201 Gods. (Yoruba Ancestral Home) by aribisala0(m): 1:01pm On Dec 12, 2012
naijababe: @ aribisala, WOW!!!
Well I cannot really take credit as it is another's translation but one I use often
Re: Ile-ife - City Of 201 Gods. (Yoruba Ancestral Home) by PAGAN9JA(m): 1:06pm On Dec 12, 2012
superb thread. I am glad to see the rise in Pagan Religious threads making front page on a positive note. Nigeria is finally progressing into the new-era of open-mindedness. Thank Gods! cool

1 Like

Re: Ile-ife - City Of 201 Gods. (Yoruba Ancestral Home) by aribisala0(m): 1:10pm On Dec 12, 2012
What do you mean by "PAGAN" exactly?
Re: Ile-ife - City Of 201 Gods. (Yoruba Ancestral Home) by Nobody: 1:14pm On Dec 12, 2012
aribisala0: Well I cannot really take credit as it is another's translation but one I use often

Epega's? I am keen to know.
Re: Ile-ife - City Of 201 Gods. (Yoruba Ancestral Home) by Nobody: 1:18pm On Dec 12, 2012
aribisala0: Odu Ika Ogunda
"Something painful that is done to us,
we must not do to others"
was cast for Ogun, on the day
that he was fighting every day,
and broke many weapons fighting.
The offering was made, and they
told him to stop fighting.
"Something painful that is done to us,
we must not do to others"
was cast for Ogun, on the day
that he was fighting every day,
and broke many weapons fighting.
Ifa says this person should learn
to pick his fights; not everything
is worth fighting over. And Ifa says
that we often do ourselves more harm
while fighting, than we do the other.
Think, before you hit a person: how
would you like being hit?
WORD.... can't wait to visit Ile ife.... missed the ancient town.
Re: Ile-ife - City Of 201 Gods. (Yoruba Ancestral Home) by ijigbamigb(m): 1:24pm On Dec 12, 2012
aribisala0:
Not sure what you mean by this question.Source of Ifa ??
By source, I mean where u got these interpretations from. I have never come across such interpretations that are so precise and accurate. I hail u o.
Re: Ile-ife - City Of 201 Gods. (Yoruba Ancestral Home) by Nobody: 1:28pm On Dec 12, 2012
still available
Re: Ile-ife - City Of 201 Gods. (Yoruba Ancestral Home) by Nobody: 1:29pm On Dec 12, 2012
aribisala0:
It will not be well with your mother if you don't run along with your Jehovah.Go and create a Jehovah thread and respect other people

Thanks for telling that animal where to go with her jehovah while humans are exchanging ideas.
Anyway, do you have a source for Odu Ika Ogunda and others like it?

5 Likes

Re: Ile-ife - City Of 201 Gods. (Yoruba Ancestral Home) by ijigbamigb(m): 1:29pm On Dec 12, 2012
Ada Nri1:
Woman IFA doesn't not contradict your Religion (either Christianity, Islam or whatever).
IFA deals with the Character of all. In tandem with the meaning of 0duduwa (Odu to du Iwa), our culture preaches good virtues, honesty and a pure character. So whether you are a christian or muslim- YOU ARE WELCOME.

3 Likes

Re: Ile-ife - City Of 201 Gods. (Yoruba Ancestral Home) by PAGAN9JA(m): 1:29pm On Dec 12, 2012
aribisala0: What do you mean by "PAGAN" exactly?

Pagan refers to any of the true natural religions of the tribes around the world. they have no man-founder.

THey all have similar underlying concepts.

ofcourse the term Pagan was given to Tribal religion by xtians as derrogatory. Pagan means villager.

but i say there is no shame in being a villager. and these xtians forget that Paganism was the religion of the ruling class during the ROman Empire and even here in Nigeria.

unfortunately there is no other single word coined, that can be used to refer to all Tribal/Ethnic religions around the world. therefore the term Pagan is used.

I dont like to use the word Traditonal Religion because it sounds as if the religion is part of cultural traditions and is a side reliigion to be practiced syncretically alongside abrahamic religions.

1 Like

Re: Ile-ife - City Of 201 Gods. (Yoruba Ancestral Home) by aribisala0(m): 1:30pm On Dec 12, 2012
most odu talk about sacrifice and it is important to understand sacrifice in Concrete and Non-concrete terms.
Generally most worthwhile achievements require some sacrifice "Ebo" e.g. Passing JAMB will entail maybe 500-1000 hours of study over a long time. For a young lad/lass this is time not spent hanging out,watching MTV etc . This theme of giving something for something is a fundamental and recurring one in Ifa. I guess the level of repetition is so high because it is at the core of everything. Giving up time to pass exams,donuts to lose weight, or other things to improve oneself is a simple idea to grasp bu not easy to follow through. At the subconscious level there is often a need(NOT always) to experience sacrifice in concrete terms so e'g . menstruation is conceived in many cultures as "dirty" and therefore guilt inducing. In order to remove guilt some religions demand sacrifice e.g pigeons etc.
The actual act of "giving" kolanuts,pigeons or palm oil produces a subconscious feeling on an entitlement to "receive" not unlike the student studying for JAMB. Often we sacrifice and yet do not receive.Why?

it is important to study poetry and words and how they induce action or mental states.This effect is probably best achieved in indigenous languages.Words in combination heard today can produce awakening tomorrow....

many odu talk about sacrificing kolanuts etc but mention in passin or subtly the even more important sacrifice which is often "unheard"
Re: Ile-ife - City Of 201 Gods. (Yoruba Ancestral Home) by aribisala0(m): 1:34pm On Dec 12, 2012
ijigbamigb:
By source, I mean where u got these interpretations from. I have never come across such interpretations that are so precise and accurate. I hail u o.
Please do not hail me they are copyrighted to another person.A white man even.I borrow and use them freely
Re: Ile-ife - City Of 201 Gods. (Yoruba Ancestral Home) by baby124: 1:34pm On Dec 12, 2012
Interesting. I have been looking for this. I find topics like this interesting, historical and engaging. Thank you OP kiss. I think efforts to derail and disrespectful comments should be hidden.

1 Like

Re: Ile-ife - City Of 201 Gods. (Yoruba Ancestral Home) by aribisala0(m): 1:36pm On Dec 12, 2012
Martian:

Thanks for telling that animal where to go with her jehovah while humans are exchanging ideas.
Anyway, do you have a source for Odu Ika Ogunda and others like it?

there is a source but it is one that you can find easily if you make the "sacrifice" effort. Ifa teaches us not to receive without giving grin

2 Likes

Re: Ile-ife - City Of 201 Gods. (Yoruba Ancestral Home) by Nobody: 1:37pm On Dec 12, 2012
aribisala0:

there is a source but it is one that you can find easily if you make the "sacrifice" effort. Ifa teaches us not to receive without giving grin

Ok, na wetin be 'nkan etutu,?
Re: Ile-ife - City Of 201 Gods. (Yoruba Ancestral Home) by aribisala0(m): 1:39pm On Dec 12, 2012
naijababe:

Ok, na wetin be 'nkan etutu,?
Lol. Put your mind in gear don't be lazy. I found it and I ain't that smart so can you if you want it grin

check this out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2-upCaYhhM&list=UUT3oe5oaDq4d3ciVjZsDnMw&index=5
Re: Ile-ife - City Of 201 Gods. (Yoruba Ancestral Home) by aribisala0(m): 1:42pm On Dec 12, 2012
Re: Ile-ife - City Of 201 Gods. (Yoruba Ancestral Home) by Nobody: 1:42pm On Dec 12, 2012
Full blooded Ife on board!
Topics about ife/divination deepens my thirst for knowledge as regards Ifa. smiley
Re: Ile-ife - City Of 201 Gods. (Yoruba Ancestral Home) by Nobody: 1:42pm On Dec 12, 2012
aribisala0:
Lol. Put your mind in gear don't be lazy. I found it and I ain't that smart so can you if you want it grin

Shoulda known you'd come back with some smart quip grin Tell me jo, abi ewo ni ako gan sef? tongue
Re: Ile-ife - City Of 201 Gods. (Yoruba Ancestral Home) by aribisala0(m): 1:43pm On Dec 12, 2012
Re: Ile-ife - City Of 201 Gods. (Yoruba Ancestral Home) by PeterKbaba: 1:44pm On Dec 12, 2012
This interpretation as been debated in Harvard by the best. This was the religion the priest in Egypt (kemet) practiced in the early centuries e.g 600B.C .. Even at the time of Queen of shiba. Greece had theirs, Arabs had theirs, this religion was before Christianity or Islam. If you doubt, can you please tell us what was the religion of Moses and Jesus when they were on earth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_C85DkeVPSQ
Re: Ile-ife - City Of 201 Gods. (Yoruba Ancestral Home) by aribisala0(m): 1:45pm On Dec 12, 2012
naijababe:

Shoulda known you'd come back with some smart quip grin Tell me jo, abi ewo ni ako gan sef? tongue
Ma binu mi o s' ako.
I will tell you but not today.
Re: Ile-ife - City Of 201 Gods. (Yoruba Ancestral Home) by Nobody: 1:45pm On Dec 12, 2012
Re: Ile-ife - City Of 201 Gods. (Yoruba Ancestral Home) by davades(m): 1:45pm On Dec 12, 2012
Oya nah!!! All those ibos that think they understand Yoruba should comment !!!
Re: Ile-ife - City Of 201 Gods. (Yoruba Ancestral Home) by aribisala0(m): 1:45pm On Dec 12, 2012
Re: Ile-ife - City Of 201 Gods. (Yoruba Ancestral Home) by Nobody: 1:47pm On Dec 12, 2012
Honestly, I don't know why our universities are so fooking lazy angry Do you know how much an online course in Yoruba philosophy can generate for O.A.U?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Benue Community Exhumes Corpse After 48 Years, To Be Reburied In Hometown (PIX) / Common 'madness' In Lagos? / Yorubas In Nigeria That Can't Speak Yoruba

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.