Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,436 members, 7,819,586 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 06:32 PM

Ile-ife - City Of 201 Gods. (Yoruba Ancestral Home) - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Ile-ife - City Of 201 Gods. (Yoruba Ancestral Home) (31969 Views)

All Ile-ife Women Restricted Indoors Tonight / Anambra Is Ancestral Home Of The Igalas / The Ijebu People And Their Ancestral Hometowns In Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ile-ife - City Of 201 Gods. (Yoruba Ancestral Home) by Nobody: 3:07pm On Dec 12, 2012
penfold:

Deny it if u want, but u are already an Awo, Awo is about knowledge and wisdom,

Not Odu Otura nor Odu Itura jare, but Otura Odi...(Otura'di)....its a personal quest kind of....and as you will probably know, no matter how knowledgeable one might be in these things another enlightened opinion is always best. Thanks all d same bro

grin
Re: Ile-ife - City Of 201 Gods. (Yoruba Ancestral Home) by Nobody: 3:20pm On Dec 12, 2012
naijababe: Honestly, I don't know why our universities are so fooking lazy angry Do you know how much an online course in Yoruba philosophy can generate for O.A.U?
Would also be nice if the online courses could be offered in spanish and Portuguese as well. Latin America is thirsty for Yoruba knowledge.
Re: Ile-ife - City Of 201 Gods. (Yoruba Ancestral Home) by deeplo(m): 3:30pm On Dec 12, 2012
wow... speechless.
Pls can i know the interpretation for ogberikusa. I hail ooo
Re: Ile-ife - City Of 201 Gods. (Yoruba Ancestral Home) by Nobody: 3:35pm On Dec 12, 2012
deeplo: wow... speechless.

Never heard that before, however, Ogberi means uninitiated.
Re: Ile-ife - City Of 201 Gods. (Yoruba Ancestral Home) by penfold(m): 3:42pm On Dec 12, 2012
naijababe:

Never heard that before, however, Ogberi means uninitiated.

grin grin grin grin grin
Iyalawo!!
Re: Ile-ife - City Of 201 Gods. (Yoruba Ancestral Home) by penfold(m): 3:46pm On Dec 12, 2012
deeplo: wow... speechless.

It will help if u give the 'amin ohun' to aid the pronounciation

Yoruba is such that tones,inflexions and pronounciation contribute greatly...almost 70% to the meaning of words, not just the spelling....that is why Yoruba can never be effectively taught online (I know some people will crucify me for this)....
Yoruba is only 30% written and 70% spoken!
(Note that I did not refer to Yoruba as a language cuz it is not a language....Yoruba is the totality of language,culture,tradition,belief,poetry (to mention a few components) of a race!!
Re: Ile-ife - City Of 201 Gods. (Yoruba Ancestral Home) by Nobody: 3:47pm On Dec 12, 2012
penfold:

grin grin grin grin grin
Iyalawo!!

For where? Na beans?! grin
Re: Ile-ife - City Of 201 Gods. (Yoruba Ancestral Home) by Nobody: 3:48pm On Dec 12, 2012
I really like your write up...I was born and raised in Ile-Ife as a Christian though I usually attend Olojo Festivals as my Mum's shop is at Ilare beside Olodo Compound where Oni goes every year. I want to call your attention to the 201 numbers. I'm not into Ifa unlike you but I have been hearing OkanLerinWo Irunmole since I was a kid. They say OkanLerinWo Irunmoles means there are 401 DEITIES existing in Ile-Ife and not 201 as you wrote....You may correct me if I'm wrong. My parents are Ijeshas from Ilesha, but they've been in Ile-Ife since 1974. I love Ile-Ife, I'm pround of being a Yoruba. Oodua A Gbe A Oooooooooo, Ase.

3 Likes

Re: Ile-ife - City Of 201 Gods. (Yoruba Ancestral Home) by PeterKbaba: 3:56pm On Dec 12, 2012
Re: Ile-ife - City Of 201 Gods. (Yoruba Ancestral Home) by Nobody: 4:11pm On Dec 12, 2012
This is great!

I'm definitely interested in Ifa philosophy and the odus(not the fetish and sacrifice bit)...

Omo oduduwa - Ashe!! cool
Re: Ile-ife - City Of 201 Gods. (Yoruba Ancestral Home) by pekelepekele(m): 4:15pm On Dec 12, 2012
it is well
Re: Ile-ife - City Of 201 Gods. (Yoruba Ancestral Home) by igbonla(m): 4:27pm On Dec 12, 2012
Educative thread! God bless you guys for your contributions..

@aribisala0, I think those "Odus" are better written in Yoruba language instead of English; the only exception would be when you are giving clarifications or teaching kids, uninitiated or non-natives.
Re: Ile-ife - City Of 201 Gods. (Yoruba Ancestral Home) by aribisala0(m): 4:41pm On Dec 12, 2012
igbonla: Educative thread! God bless you guys for your contributions..

@aribisala0, I think those "Odus" are better written in Yoruba language instead of English; the only exception would be when you are giving clarifications or teaching kids, uninitiated or non-natives.
I suppose you are right but not everyone speaks Yoruba .Although the quality of translation is an issue. Not many Nigerians study poetry and things such as metre etc so some of the Nuances when rendered even in a good English translation are lost on many particularly the power to evoke archetypes whether immediately or (later)
But even language is a poor substitute for spiritual things.

I do not know how you can explain the taste of egusi soup to someone who has never eaten it and so language itself serves as a proxy for deeper things

1 Like

Re: Ile-ife - City Of 201 Gods. (Yoruba Ancestral Home) by pekelepekele(m): 4:44pm On Dec 12, 2012
@ aribisala how long do you think it will take to learn IFA in person
Re: Ile-ife - City Of 201 Gods. (Yoruba Ancestral Home) by Nobody: 4:45pm On Dec 12, 2012
aribisala0:
you need to learn how to respect people and their beliefs.You persist in bringing Jehovah here which suggests you are either obtuse or a trouble maker
Persist? Where? You just want an excuse to exhibit your lugubrious nature. I must say I pity the people that know you personally.
Re: Ile-ife - City Of 201 Gods. (Yoruba Ancestral Home) by pekelepekele(m): 4:47pm On Dec 12, 2012
again why are some people using Human being parts for rituals through IFA?
Re: Ile-ife - City Of 201 Gods. (Yoruba Ancestral Home) by Obassy(f): 4:48pm On Dec 12, 2012
Very educating, well done bro........................
Re: Ile-ife - City Of 201 Gods. (Yoruba Ancestral Home) by aribisala0(m): 4:48pm On Dec 12, 2012
Ada Nri1:
Persist? Where? You just want an excuse to exhibit you[b]r lugubrious [/b]nature. I must say I pity the people that know you personally.

You are back?
Like the turd that won't flush.
What does it want -exactly?
I am done with it grin
If you were looking for an opportunity to use the word lugubrious
I suggest you tarry a while and
Don't force it as this offering
is rather incongruent
just as you are on this thread;
a gatecrashing obnoxious interloping nebbish.

1 Like

Re: Ile-ife - City Of 201 Gods. (Yoruba Ancestral Home) by emmatok(m): 4:56pm On Dec 12, 2012
Ada Nri1:
Persist? Where? You just want an excuse to exhibit your lugubrious nature. I must say I pity the people that know you personally.

Ada please don't derail this beautiful topic for us.

1 Like

Re: Ile-ife - City Of 201 Gods. (Yoruba Ancestral Home) by baby124: 5:04pm On Dec 12, 2012
Konmight: I really like your write up...I was born and raised in Ile-Ife as a Christian though I usually attend Olojo Festivals as my Mum's shop is at Ilare beside Olodo Compound where Oni goes every year. I want to call your attention to the 201 numbers. I'm not into Ifa unlike you but I have been hearing OkanLerinWo Irunmole since I was a kid. They say OkanLerinWo Irunmoles means there are 401 DEITIES existing in Ile-Ife and not 201 as you wrote....You may correct me if I'm wrong. My parents are Ijeshas from Ilesha, but they've been in Ile-Ife since 1974. I love Ile-Ife, I'm pround of being a Yoruba. Oodua A Gbe A Oooooooooo, Ase.

I thought it was 401 too. A mistake by OP perhaps. I am watching the videos. The repetition and flow of the Odus is simply enchanting. I like when Yoruba's say incantations. Nothing like it in the world. Very beautiful but can be dangerous sha. cheesy
Re: Ile-ife - City Of 201 Gods. (Yoruba Ancestral Home) by PAGAN9JA(m): 5:04pm On Dec 12, 2012
pekelepekele: again why are some people using Human being parts for rituals through IFA?

use your common sense. those human parts are used by private ritualists for personal gain and these can be/are muslims, christian or Pagans. it is not done in established Pagan religions like Ifa-Orisha, etc. and btw Ifa is divination.
Re: Ile-ife - City Of 201 Gods. (Yoruba Ancestral Home) by pekelepekele(m): 5:09pm On Dec 12, 2012
PAGAN 9JA:

use your common sense. those human parts are used by private ritualists for personal gain and these can be/are muslims, christian or Pagans. it is not done in established Pagan religions like Ifa-Orisha, etc. and btw Ifa is divination.

alright sir
Re: Ile-ife - City Of 201 Gods. (Yoruba Ancestral Home) by PAGAN9JA(m): 5:13pm On Dec 12, 2012
Just as once upon a time, in the good old days, when Makkah in Saudi Arabia, with the ANcient Shrine of the Ka'abah and its 300 Gods, was a centre of Pilgrimage for Pagan religion and the Arab Tribes, we should develop Ile-Ife too into a major religious site and Pilgrimage Centre for the West African Tribes.
Re: Ile-ife - City Of 201 Gods. (Yoruba Ancestral Home) by aribisala0(m): 5:16pm On Dec 12, 2012
Ifa does not require human sacrifice and no one can claim to do so honestly.
It is important to make a comment about "idol worshipping and related prejudices" Human beings are quite intelligent compared to animals and I doubt very much that a man will go into the forest cut down a tree and fashion it into a statue and believe that that is his creator or a god.That is a simplistic explanation for the mischievous or those who lack understanding. A man keeps photographs of family on his desk or whereever for inspiration,remembrace etc .There are mere facsimiles of something else.We look in the mirror and see ourselves yet we know we are NOT in the mirror. But the human mind is limited and sometimes needs these devices to apprehend itself better. The theatre where the statue and its sacrifices play are not concrete at all.
Re: Ile-ife - City Of 201 Gods. (Yoruba Ancestral Home) by PAGAN9JA(m): 5:23pm On Dec 12, 2012
aribisala0: Ifa does not require human sacrifice and no one can claim to do so honestly.
It is important to make a comment about "idol worshipping and related prejudices" Human beings are quite intelligent compared to animals and I doubt very much that a man will go into the forest cut down a tree and fashion it into a statue and believe that that is his creator or a god.That is a simplistic explanation for the mischievous or those who lack understanding. A man keeps photographs of family on his desk or whereever for inspiration,remembrace etc .There are mere facsimiles of something else.We look in the mirror and see ourselves yet we know we are NOT in the mirror. But the human mind is limited and sometimes needs these devices to apprehend itself better. The theatre where the statue and its sacrifices play are not concrete at all.

please , i have explained idolatory before. I am a Pagan by birth and i have studied the ancient religions extensively from around the world. i know what i am talking about.

now as before, let me explain Idolatory:

[size=32pt]there is NOTHING wrong with idol worship![/size]

It is not the wood or stone that we worship, but what it represents. The abrahamists r just intent upon spreading lies about us. Let it be known that there is no true devotion involved in worshipping 'thin air'. We humans are materialistic in nature. We need to touch, sense, smell or see something b4 we entertain any feelings towards it. Even the sly and crafty roman catholics, though involved in man worship (unlyk us Pagans who worship God(s)), still keep an idol of jesus in their place of worship, though they shamelessly deny idolatory outside, because they realised the signifance of idols and its role in worship.therefore,considering this basic human nature, anyone who is saying they feel true Love & devotion to an invisible formless God is a LIAR!
AGikuyu Pagan traditionalists from Kenya on the other hand, though monotheists, worship 'God'/Ngai by worshipping him through his creations by worshiping nature and Mount Kilimanjaro. This is also a form of idolatory and it is good.
even the most fanatic of muslims sees an 'image' of God in their minds while praying. It is just in our nature and how it was meant to be..

The idol is just an article of worship, just as the qiblah is to muslims or the cross is to christians. the reason why the idol is the central and most important article of worship is because it is the material representation of the Spiritual Force. Also since we tend to concentrate most of our SPiritual Energies into the idol, it automatically imbibes and attains some amount of Spiritual Context and power. Thereby it is a very important central object in religion/

1 Like

Re: Ile-ife - City Of 201 Gods. (Yoruba Ancestral Home) by pekelepekele(m): 5:25pm On Dec 12, 2012
Babalawo or babalawolawo which one is correct?
Re: Ile-ife - City Of 201 Gods. (Yoruba Ancestral Home) by aribisala0(m): 5:40pm On Dec 12, 2012
pekelepekele: @ aribisala how long do you think it will take to learn IFA in person

Like I said before I am not a Babalawo.
"Learning" Ifa can mean anything

from becoming a Babalawo to being merely a consumer of divination.
I believe it is important to memorise some spiritual poetry whether in English Yoruba or whatever and this may be religious or non-religious.
Note I do not think spirituality= religion.
Such poetry or verse can help in a spiritual understanding and enjoyment of life whether or not one chooses to become a practitioner or even to consult with Babalawo's.
If you mean to become a Babalawo or priest this is best started as a child unless there is some spiritual pull like that Susan Wenger lady(hope the name is right).People learn differently.If you want to learn Odus in Yoruba You will have to "sacrifice"(again that term) time ,effort and may be money .Even one or two that are particularly relevant to you is enough .
If you are really keen you a=have to submit yourself to a master and learn from him.
Re: Ile-ife - City Of 201 Gods. (Yoruba Ancestral Home) by PAGAN9JA(m): 5:50pm On Dec 12, 2012
aribisala0:
Note I do not think spirituality= religion.

this is because the very term of religion has been corrupted by abrahamic religions who have very little spirituality in them and mostly consist of rules, morality and guidelines. Pagan religions are all about SPirituality and we hardly stress on morals, etc., because teachin such things, rules, etc., is the duty of society.

true religion is spirituality. let me tell you that.
Re: Ile-ife - City Of 201 Gods. (Yoruba Ancestral Home) by Nobody: 5:52pm On Dec 12, 2012
Great historical place.
Re: Ile-ife - City Of 201 Gods. (Yoruba Ancestral Home) by Nobody: 6:45pm On Dec 12, 2012
D culture is boring
Re: Ile-ife - City Of 201 Gods. (Yoruba Ancestral Home) by PAGAN9JA(m): 6:53pm On Dec 12, 2012
ngozievergreen: D culture is boring

why cant you Igbos give it a rest now? go look at your own culture and religion. you have lost almost everything. all you have left is that wooden statue of the israeli hippie to whom you bow down to.

1 Like

Re: Ile-ife - City Of 201 Gods. (Yoruba Ancestral Home) by aribisala0(m): 9:13pm On Dec 12, 2012
Bi a soore, a o kuu
Bi a sika, a o kuu
Parakoyi o dari iku jin enikan
Olorun o dari iku jin eeyan
Eruko idi, abidi sangele
Awon maraarun ni iko ti Olodumare ran wale aye
Won dele Alara
Won pa Alara
Won gbagun Ile Alara
Won dele Ajero
Won pa Ajero
Won gbagun Ajero
Won dele Owanrangun Aga
Won pa Owanrangun Aga
Won gbagun Owarangun Aga
Won dele loja-loja, lade-lade
Won pa won
Won gbagun won
Won lo ku Ile Orunmila
Orunmila wa to awon Ikorita meta
Abidi yakata-yakata lo
Dia fun Orunmila
Nijo ti won ni Iko marun-un n waa bo wa
Ebo ni won ni ko won wa se
Orunmila si wa gbebo nibe nni lo n sebo
O ni eyin o mo pe Oturupon ti tu ewure lo ni o

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Why Hausa Language In Bbc, Voa, Germany Radio, China, France Anybody Know ? / The Olowu Of Owu Kingdom: The Final 7 Contestants In Pictures / Why Ikwerres Are Not Igbo - The Logic Behind It

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.