Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,133 members, 7,814,963 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:10 AM

Must There Be A Fight/misunderstanding In A Marriage? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Must There Be A Fight/misunderstanding In A Marriage? (9300 Views)

Can A Physically Abused Woman In A Marriage Work Things Out With Her Husband ? / The Little Things That Determine The Success Of A Marriage. / Things You Should Never Say To Your Partner During A Fight (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Must There Be A Fight/misunderstanding In A Marriage? by hotncold1(m): 9:33am On Dec 13, 2012
I will probably be getting married in 4-5 years time,but what always bug my mind each time I give it a thought is:

1)Why should a couple who after 2-3 years of marriage,suddenly decides to call in a third party(I hate this part so much)?

2)Didn't they know each other well enough during dating/courting before heading to the alter?

3)Is it not possible to have a near perfect marriage?

4)What usually brings about this unnecessary fights/quarrels?Money?In Laws?

Married people,these and many more thoughts are what, sometimes discourage in me planning to go into that institution called Marriage!

Please your thoughts will be highly appreciated!
Re: Must There Be A Fight/misunderstanding In A Marriage? by Chynx(m): 9:36am On Dec 13, 2012
Sadly, yes!...misunderstanding is a function of a married life. Getting to manage your differences is what makes ur marriage a successful one.

3 Likes

Re: Must There Be A Fight/misunderstanding In A Marriage? by jhydebaba(m): 9:40am On Dec 13, 2012
The tongue and the mouth do fight.

The reason for most disagreement is as a result of two people from different background coming to stay together under a roof.

The most important thing is to reconcile after every disagreement/fight

3 Likes

Re: Must There Be A Fight/misunderstanding In A Marriage? by slysinzu(m): 9:41am On Dec 13, 2012
Dis marriage of a tin self.must we marry?
Re: Must There Be A Fight/misunderstanding In A Marriage? by hotncold1(m): 11:33am On Dec 13, 2012
Are there no longer married people on this section again?Mrs Chima,Madam Chaircover grin grin,where are you guys?I need more input please!

1 Like

Re: Must There Be A Fight/misunderstanding In A Marriage? by inwangobio(m): 12:50pm On Dec 13, 2012
Fight is a capital NO - NO, but misunderstanding -yea. It is a must but you must make sure it doesn't degenerate into something you can't handle. I can remember when we got married newly,i made a promise not to have any misunderstanding with my wife and for 8 good months we didnt 'have'. I almost ruined my marriage then, thank God today we are a nice couple because the misunderstandings came to make us better people to the glory of God. I don't live in that fantasy of 'no quarell or misunderstanding in marriage'.
Re: Must There Be A Fight/misunderstanding In A Marriage? by greatgod2012(f): 1:00pm On Dec 13, 2012
There is no way there will not be disagreements, because, the two of them are from different background, raised up by different parents, bearing different names, with different siblings and relatives, and in some cases, with different religious principles. Not forgetting that they are human beings, who are imperfect creatures. However, marriage should consists of 2 forgivers, who are ready and willing to forgive each other each time a partner errs. Through disagreement, couples tend to know themselves better, know their do and donts, know what pleases and displeases each other, especially. In a young marriage. So, in a good and healthy marriage, disagreements are meant to strenghen d marital relationship, not otherwise, if d foundation stands sure. So disagreements are good when it serves positive purposes. However, when d couples are getting older, they should be able to have understood each other more, thereby reducing d freuquency of their disagreements.

6 Likes

Re: Must There Be A Fight/misunderstanding In A Marriage? by sweetpotatoes: 1:53pm On Dec 13, 2012
Even brothers have an arguement so i believe it is inevitable .The most important thing is to come to a resolution and move on .
Re: Must There Be A Fight/misunderstanding In A Marriage? by hotncold1(m): 2:30pm On Dec 13, 2012
Nothing makes a post more fun and interesting than mature response.Keep it coming.
Re: Must There Be A Fight/misunderstanding In A Marriage? by Chynx(m): 6:54pm On Dec 13, 2012
slysinzu: Dis marriage of a tin self.must we marry?

My dear, its not a "must" o. You can choose not to....I am married though grin
Re: Must There Be A Fight/misunderstanding In A Marriage? by Nobody: 7:44pm On Dec 13, 2012
Healthy disagreements is good oh. Healthy in the sense that there is no naame calling no screaming and attracting the neighbors, No tantrums, digging up passt hurts, using sensitive details your partner tells you in confidence to score cheap points.
Hubby and I disagree a lot, he thinks I am too uptight (so not true), I think he is too careless. When e first married he was still acting like a bachelor, he will just pick his keys and head out even though he never stayed out long he wouldn't see the need to tell me "babe, I am going to the barbers"
He was so used to being on his own he didn't understand why someone else must know where he is. And then I wouldn't saay anything, I will be upset and keep it in, but my mood will change, he will be asking for hours "babe what is wrong"? And I wwill say nothing yet keep a long face, he hated tht but I didn't know, I was groomed to tolerate what I didn't like and keep quiet, coming from my first marriage I learnt not to question or query my husbands movement.
It took us a while and me collaspsing into tears before we were both able to understand what was wrong and how to fix it. Now we quarrel over howw he scatters his clothes, TV remote, money spending habits, I buy shoes and sneak them in with the old ones he goes andremoves the new ones and lines them up without saying a word, me too I pretend I didn't see them. He is too blunt, says things and offends people I am left begging and apologising and also explaining to him how his "truth" is not diplomatic, he never seems to get thaat.
Key is communication, open and decent. I am still a little shy and maybe docile, I find it hard sometimes especiaally on serious issues to challenge him so I send a text or message, it saves us from shouting and aarguing. Before he will travel, land and just go about his buisness, in his calculations when he is done and resting he will call me, meanwhile I want him to call as soon as he lands so I wouldn't be worried about safey, he will assume that I will get information if anything goes wrong and if nothing is wrong then I should know he is fine.
See simple issues but they were big points of malice and quarrels, Thankfully, we are growing wiser and better.

Recently an old friend (male) came to meet me and after a few minutes he opened up, he and his wife had hhurt each other so much with bad words, accusations, counter acccusations, suspicion, insults, using words to hurt each other, she had told him she had an abortion before they married and he had used it to insult her.
She had accused him of sleeping with a colleague and he was not instead of denying it and clearing her doubts he told her "I am and so what"? She then told him he was impotent and not the father of their kids, after spending so much on DNA they found out that the kids were his, and she said boldly that she did that to hurt him.
Again he had a bout of ulcer as he was spending days without really eaating, especially when they quarrel, one night he had dinner and felt stomach ache very bad one, as he was being rushed to the hospital he was telling the doctors and neiighbors who had helped thaat if he died his wife poisoned him, haba, they found out it wasn't poison but ulcer, aafter that the wife moved out and haas refused to come home.
What is the point of my story? Clear communication lines, one must not always be the begging party, remove pride and ego especially men. Don't look to hurt each other with painful words, don't use eaach others secrets to score cheap points.

Now he is miserable, she is miserable, just because of mere words used wrongly.

Disagreements should be healthy. Women; No award for who keeps most malice, Men; no award for having the biggest ego and waiting for her to go on her knees, you will get your ego and have a bad unhappy home

16 Likes

Re: Must There Be A Fight/misunderstanding In A Marriage? by slimchi2k2(m): 8:03pm On Dec 13, 2012
@hot n cold
bro that thing tire meoooo too,by GOD grace i will finish my prj next year and will lik to marry next year,but i'm still thinkin about that kind stuf
my bro and sis u people should help me in prayin atleast to marry sombody that we always put smile on my face i will do too

1 Like

Re: Must There Be A Fight/misunderstanding In A Marriage? by hotncold1(m): 9:39pm On Dec 13, 2012
debrief08: Healthy disagreements is good oh. Healthy in the sense that there is no naame calling no screaming and attracting the neighbors, No tantrums, digging up passt hurts, using sensitive details your partner tells you in confidence to score cheap points.
Hubby and I disagree a lot, he thinks I am too uptight (so not true), I think he is too careless. When e first married he was still acting like a bachelor, he will just pick his keys and head out even though he never stayed out long he wouldn't see the need to tell me "babe, I am going to the barbers"
He was so used to being on his own he didn't understand why someone else must know where he is. And then I wouldn't saay anything, I will be upset and keep it in, but my mood will change, he will be asking for hours "babe what is wrong"? And I wwill say nothing yet keep a long face, he hated tht but I didn't know, I was groomed to tolerate what I didn't like and keep quiet, coming from my first marriage I learnt not to question or query my husbands movement.
It took us a while and me collaspsing into tears before we were both able to understand what was wrong and how to fix it. Now we quarrel over howw he scatters his clothes, TV remote, money spending habits, I buy shoes and sneak them in with the old ones he goes andremoves the new ones and lines them up without saying a word, me too I pretend I didn't see them. He is too blunt, says things and offends people I am left begging and apologising and also explaining to him how his "truth" is not diplomatic, he never seems to get thaat.
Key is communication, open and decent. I am still a little shy and maybe docile, I find it hard sometimes especiaally on serious issues to challenge him so I send a text or message, it saves us from shouting and aarguing. Before he will travel, land and just go about his buisness, in his calculations when he is done and resting he will call me, meanwhile I want him to call as soon as he lands so I wouldn't be worried about safey, he will assume that I will get information if anything goes wrong and if nothing is wrong then I should know he is fine.
See simple issues but they were big points of malice and quarrels, Thankfully, we are growing wiser and better.

Recently an old friend (male) came to meet me and after a few minutes he opened up, he and his wife had hhurt each other so much with bad words, accusations, counter acccusations, suspicion, insults, using words to hurt each other, she had told him she had an abortion before they married and he had used it to insult her.
She had accused him of sleeping with a colleague and he was not instead of denying it and clearing her doubts he told her "I am and so what"? She then told him he was impotent and not the father of their kids, after spending so much on DNA they found out that the kids were his, and she said boldly that she did that to hurt him.
Again he had a bout of ulcer as he was spending days without really eaating, especially when they quarrel, one night he had dinner and felt stomach ache very bad one, as he was being rushed to the hospital he was telling the doctors and neiighbors who had helped thaat if he died his wife poisoned him, haba, they found out it wasn't poison but ulcer, aafter that the wife moved out and haas refused to come home.
What is the point of my story? Clear communication lines, one must not always be the begging party, remove pride and ego especially men. Don't look to hurt each other with painful words, don't use eaach others secrets to score cheap points.

Now he is miserable, she is miserable, just because of mere words used wrongly.

Disagreements should be healthy. Women; No award for who keeps most malice, Men; no award for having the biggest ego and waiting for her to go on her knees, you will get your ego and have a bad unhappy home
Your story left me breathless.
Re: Must There Be A Fight/misunderstanding In A Marriage? by hotncold1(m): 9:42pm On Dec 13, 2012
slimchi2k2: @hot n cold
bro that thing tire meoooo too,by GOD grace i will finish my prj next year and will lik to marry next year,but i'm still thinkin about that kind stuf
my bro and sis u people should help me in prayin atleast to marry sombody that we always put smile on my face i will do too
Relax and take your time bro!Once you are in,it becomes "for better for worse" grin grin grin cheers!
Re: Must There Be A Fight/misunderstanding In A Marriage? by Nobody: 10:19pm On Dec 13, 2012

2 Likes

Re: Must There Be A Fight/misunderstanding In A Marriage? by Kobojunkie: 10:41pm On Dec 13, 2012
hot n cold: I will probably be getting married in 4-5 years time,but what always bug my mind each time I give it a thought is:

1)Why should a couple who after 2-3 years of marriage,suddenly decides to call in a third party(I hate this part so much)?

2)Didn't they know each other well enough during dating/courting before heading to the alter?

Married people,these and many more thoughts are what, sometimes discourage in me planning to go into that institution called Marriage!

If you base your life on how others choose to live theirs, then you are in for a disappointment at the end.

Marriage, like everyother relationship out there(employer-boss, friendship, pastor-churchmember, mother-daughter) all require that the individuals in the relationship work at learning their partner and giving of themselves as much as is needed to help make the relation work. That is not to say that it is OK to be in a toxic-relationship.NO!

We are human beings, incompatible from birth, and we all grow up in different environments, developing different ideas and opinions, and approach life differently -- that is what is natural. So our incompatibilities are as designed by nature itself, and not to be seen as curses or drawbacks. It is in our DNA itself.So, to make any relationship work, we have to put-in effort and be willing to overlook the minor faults, accept the other person(s) AS-IS, and also learn to trust that no matter what happens IT IS WELL. This is with every human relationship. This, to me, is how you have a perfect relationship, including marriage, and so it is POSSIBLE. it is not the quarrels that you should worry about, but your capacity as an individual to share of yourself, and to let go when it is required of you to make sure your relationship/marriage continues to stand strong.

1 Like

Re: Must There Be A Fight/misunderstanding In A Marriage? by Blazay(m): 11:20pm On Dec 13, 2012

YES! YOU MUST HAVE MISUNDERSTANDINGS. . . It is not easy for 2 different people who have chosen to come together to AGREE on MOST issues of finances and children. The most difficult aspect in a marriage is LEARNING TO WORK TOGETHER without the other party feeling disrespected and a bit 'put-down'!

Being over-whelmed, couples may decide to invite 3rd parties to mediate for them. . . seeking re-assurance or validation that he or she is not at fault. Nothing wrong if the right people are approached INSTEAD OF IDLE GOSSIPS WITH WORSE SITUATIONS FOR COUNSEL! kiss Couples MUST first go through this phase before they are strong enough to deal with their own problems independently.

Oh! It is only when you get married you start getting to know each other. . . .MARRIAGE IS QUITE DIFFERENT FROM DATING! People change and emotions change! kiss IT IS ONLY AFTER YOU HAVE BEEN MARRIED FOR SOME TIME YOU CAN BEGIN TO FIND OUT WHY AND WHAT YOU LIKE AND LOVE ABOUT A PERSON. . . .Not when desperation is calling you to jump into marriage AT ALL COST!

Depends on what you call a 'near perfect' marriage. I could say mine is NEAR PERFECT. . . because I have found happiness and peace of mind within myself and my spouse. . . no matter the shortcomings. One size does not fit all. There are no general rules that apply to ALL marriages. Customize yours the way YOU want it to be. . .and as long as you are happy, peaceful and content. . . YOU HAVE A NEAR-PERFECT MARRIAGE! kiss

You can be in love and have a miserable marriage(domestically abused spouses fall in this category)
you can be happy in a marriage without being in LOVE with your spouse(those who love the idea of being married. . .THE CERTIFICATE. . . .not the spouse. . . .to them marriage is a CONTRACT!)

All a matter of choice! kiss

1. Material and spiritual poverty.
2. Lack of committment. EVEN WITH EVER CHANGING ROLES BETWEEN SPOUSES. Who says the man is ALWAYS the head of the household and breadwinner? undecided
3. Lack of a SOLID FRIENDSHIP(no understanding or mutual respect)
4. MOST IMPORTANTLY. . . UNNECESSARY EXPECTATIONS FROM EACH OTHER!
5. Lack of emotional maturity. SOME PEOPLE NEVER GROW UP!!!

These opens up a can of worms in forms of resentments. A man or woman who is unable provide the basic needs and wants in a marriage will face many stressors and challenges.

YOU MUST BE FRIENDS BEFORE YOU CAN TOLERATE EACH OTHER IN A MARRIAGE! You only fall in love after surviving the trials of marriage and the ability to weather storms TOGETHER. If you do not like your spouse. . . YOU CAN NEVER BE IN LOVE WITH HIM OR HER!

Having children with people you do NOT like or love. . . COMPOUNDS issues. YOU ARE REMINDED OF THAT SPECIAL BOND WITH THE OBJECT. . . Talk about having 'issues' with the ENEMY! An everlasting DEATH IN LIFE SENTENCE!!!grin

1 Like

Re: Must There Be A Fight/misunderstanding In A Marriage? by hotncold1(m): 9:20am On Dec 14, 2012
@ Oga Kobojunkie 1000 likes for your comment.
Re: Must There Be A Fight/misunderstanding In A Marriage? by Afam4eva(m): 11:20am On Dec 14, 2012
If common friends can have misunderstandings and even quarell why should married couples be any different? It's the ability of the couple not to make their little squabble degenerate into a threat to their marriage that will keep their marriage for a long time to come.

Though i think misunderstandings can be limited only if the couple have an understanding of each other. Unfortunately, a lot of people keep up an act to see someone to get married to. For instance, if you flaunt a lamborgini in front of your wife to be and buy her all sorts of expensive gifts just to give her the impression that you're well in actual fact you can't sustain it. It will become a problem when the lady finally marries you and now have to settle for less than she bargained for because of the false premise that you presented her. That's why it's imperative that couples come clean with each other before they get married and that's what dating and courtship is meant to achieve.
Re: Must There Be A Fight/misunderstanding In A Marriage? by Okijajuju1(m): 11:21am On Dec 14, 2012
hot n cold: I will probably be getting married in 4-5 years time,but what always bug my mind each time I give it a thought is:

1 Like

Re: Must There Be A Fight/misunderstanding In A Marriage? by Redmosquito(m): 11:23am On Dec 14, 2012
You just have to understand that porridge must burn in other for it to be sweeter
Re: Must There Be A Fight/misunderstanding In A Marriage? by Redmosquito(m): 11:23am On Dec 14, 2012
You just have to understand that porridge must burn inother for it to be sweeter

1 Like

Re: Must There Be A Fight/misunderstanding In A Marriage? by alfredo4u(m): 11:23am On Dec 14, 2012
Na today, my neibour dey even fight now wit d wife...just give then 3hrs, u go c dem likin ice cream 2gada. I cant undastand d mystery behind it.

1 Like

Re: Must There Be A Fight/misunderstanding In A Marriage? by kelsonpoint(m): 11:27am On Dec 14, 2012
Misunderstanding is what will occur in almost all marriages but it lies in ur ability to control and manage it properly as to avoid bringing in a 3rd party. As the saying goes marriage is not bed of roses but is all about trying to understand ur spouse very well as to avoid having log ahead
Re: Must There Be A Fight/misunderstanding In A Marriage? by Nobody: 11:32am On Dec 14, 2012
There must be misunderstanding in a marriage,cos its a union of two people with different upbringing,and culture. If there isn't misunderstanding at all,it means one party of the marriage is a dunce,or mumu.
The ability to manage the misunderstanding is what makes marriage tick.
Re: Must There Be A Fight/misunderstanding In A Marriage? by paris10: 11:44am On Dec 14, 2012
If you're not ready to get frustrated, then don't marry. If you're not the type that takes insult, marriage is not for you. If you're the intolerable one, then be ready to fight. If you're the "Me and my Husband" type, you better remain in your father's house. If you're used to spending and spending and don't always get rejected, tighten your trouser for battle. If you think you've known your guy inside out, brace yourself for the shocker of your life. If you think marriage is a bed of roses, think again,'cause roses does not care.

And finally, if you think marriage is a platform to enjoying the best of what life has to offer without you sacrificing a lot, you better find a lesbo partner.

4 Likes

Re: Must There Be A Fight/misunderstanding In A Marriage? by Nobody: 11:53am On Dec 14, 2012
There are three types of women you can marry, a Sarah ; that will respect you and call you Lord, a Deborah ; that will stand and fight by your side and a Jezebel ; that will trample on your pride and do whatever she likes.
Its left for you to choose who you want to marry, your marriage is what you plan it to be. Goodluck
Re: Must There Be A Fight/misunderstanding In A Marriage? by Teejayphillip(m): 11:57am On Dec 14, 2012
Its normal tin 4 couples 2 ave misunderstanding,bur ow u as a man tends 2 settle it among ursef is d ultimate...

Sumtimes tongue n teeth dey fite,bur as d 2 of dem (tongue n teeth) dey take settle dispute is btw demsef...

@least u've stayed wif ur sibblings 4 how mani yrs,u guyz eat,drink n sleep 2geda unda one roof n yet u stil all ave one lil issue or d oda... Likewise parents alzo,sumtimes dey impose sumtin on u,n it may nt b convinient 4 u.. U can flared up @ dat moment n later u guyz stil tend 2 settle issues...

Zo misunderstanding is a normal tin,bur wat I implore couples 2 ave is mutual understanding.. When u ave these,it covers evry oda tin..
Re: Must There Be A Fight/misunderstanding In A Marriage? by izyrach(f): 11:58am On Dec 14, 2012
even brothers do fight its anormal tin,after d fight u get to knw ur partners dilikes and likes
jhydebaba: The tongue and the mouth do fight.

The reason for most disagreement is as a result of two people from different background coming to stay together under a roof.

The most important thing is to reconcile after every disagreement/fight
Re: Must There Be A Fight/misunderstanding In A Marriage? by churchillfrank(m): 11:58am On Dec 14, 2012
Psychologically speaking no individual person is d same,d way u think is d same way d other person thinks.so in a relationship their must be disagreement.any relationship or marriage dat dosnt hv disput is not a healthy one.
Re: Must There Be A Fight/misunderstanding In A Marriage? by tomakint: 12:08pm On Dec 14, 2012
slysinzu: Dis marriage of a tin self.must we marry?
No! cool

(1) (2) (Reply)

Husband And Wife Issue / Who You Marry Is Important For Your Community / Wake Up! We Need To Talk

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.