Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,239 members, 7,818,823 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 05:51 AM

Linguistics And Mass Communication: Which Is The Better Course? - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Linguistics And Mass Communication: Which Is The Better Course? (43710 Views)

Please Help, Am Confused About The Better Job / Linguistics And Mass Communication, Which Is More Relevant To The Society? / Political Science/international Relations, Which Is A Better Course??? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Linguistics And Mass Communication: Which Is The Better Course? by Tabelachizza(f): 1:46pm On Sep 14, 2013
I fink Bio-chemistry will be better,4get linguistics and mass comm,BCH rocks
Re: Linguistics And Mass Communication: Which Is The Better Course? by oluamid(m): 1:58pm On Sep 14, 2013
Well, well, well, what do we have here? undecided

When you leave the four walls of a university/tertiary institution, the only thing that matters is who you know not which course you studied. If you don't have connections, your father isn't rich, you don't have an uncle in the corridors of power, or you don't have an important skill, you are likely to struggle.

So forget the argument about which course is better and try to get one of the above.
Re: Linguistics And Mass Communication: Which Is The Better Course? by delson2k: 2:08pm On Sep 14, 2013
Im proud of my course jare...........mass communication
Re: Linguistics And Mass Communication: Which Is The Better Course? by EdwinOse: 3:07pm On Sep 14, 2013
Where you work for Nigeria after reading linguistics? People wey read better course never get job you dey talk of linguini .Mass comm is better, though not necessarily a good course
Re: Linguistics And Mass Communication: Which Is The Better Course? by delors(m): 3:11pm On Sep 14, 2013
Donaldmike: I have been thinking about this two courses. Which is the better between the two and which one has more job prospect in Nigeria. Nairalanders, your insight is needed
Judging by how your post is decorated with grammatical blunders, I would recommend English Language. In the process, you'd learn alot about Linguistics (provided you don't major in English).
But IMO, none of these two courses makes so much sense.
Many journalists, TV hosts/hostesses, anchors etc today did not study either of these courses yet they are superb at their jobs. Truth is, these courses are a sheer waste of your time and brain.

As for the job prospects in Nigeria, Il y beacoup (plenty prospects). I mean, I have seen an Archi graduate working at Stanbic Bank as a cashier, a Philosophy grad teaching at a deaf and dumb school, an International Relations 2.1 grad teaching at a nursery school (dem plenty at Iyana Ipaja), an Engineering grad proudly selling fried "eja kika" in Mushin, a French grad attending to customers (mostly Yahoo bois) at a cyber cafe.
So, the prospects are there. You could end up assisting the GM at a multinational oil company in Bonny Island, Rivers.
But then, if I took one of these courses, I probably should expect to work as a teacher, a lecturer, an interpreter, a journalist, and the likes. Or, I set up my own biz.

FYI: By "GM", I meant Gate Man.

1 Like

Re: Linguistics And Mass Communication: Which Is The Better Course? by EdwinOse: 3:14pm On Sep 14, 2013
oluamid: Well, well, well, what do we have here? undecided

When you leave the four walls of a university/tertiary institution, the only thing that matters is who you know not which course you studied. If you don't have connections, your father isn't rich, you don't have an uncle in the corridors of power, or you don't have an important skill, you are likely to struggle.

So forget the argument about which course is better and try to get one of the above.

I don't agree with you. Get God and you have all the connections you need. Besides,I think we should read courses that will prepare us to be self-reliant, be able to creat jobs for ourselves.

1 Like

Re: Linguistics And Mass Communication: Which Is The Better Course? by jamesbridget13(f): 3:47pm On Sep 14, 2013
Noneroone: If you really mean mass com is now comparable to political science, then it is a sign of . . .END. . .TIME. . .TINZ
yea u didn't talk 2 me but i must make it clear 2 u dat those departments are in same faculty in my school(social sciences)
Re: Linguistics And Mass Communication: Which Is The Better Course? by uvoh(m): 4:47pm On Sep 14, 2013
hoodboy: Well in Uniport the two disciplines are fused into one, Linguistics and Communication studies... Just graduated and I'm going for service by November. I think a fusion of the two is the best deal anyone can get, at least it gives you the option of knowing which you'd rather major in while affording you the chance to gain knowledge on the two disciplines which if you ask me are interrelated. Without language man will not communicate as we do now, so understanding how language(s) function makes you a better and more functional communicator

u must be my coursemate! And yes, ur so on point wit d statement. Its jerry.
Re: Linguistics And Mass Communication: Which Is The Better Course? by oluamid(m): 5:09pm On Sep 14, 2013
EdwinOse:

I don't agree with you. Get God and you have all the connections you need. Besides,I think we should read courses that will prepare us to be self-reliant, be able to creat jobs for ourselves.

Yep. Getting God is good but God won't come down from heaven to give you a job.

I studied Mass Communication in school but what I'm currently doing involves a skill I picked up during service. Of course, I'd love to be a journalist, but the jobs aren't just there (pretty much what you get for other courses bar Engineering and Computer science).

With connections on the other hand, you can be whatever you want to be no matter what course you studied in school. Just ask those in the Financial services sector.
Re: Linguistics And Mass Communication: Which Is The Better Course? by Mickeywilliams(m): 6:18pm On Sep 14, 2013
iamlegend: I don't really know much about Linguistics, but as an under grad and a student of mass communication, I can say mass comm. Is a great discipline. People who don't really know much about it tend to limit it. Once they hear mass comm, the only thing that crawls into their mind is news casting and journalism, but mass comm. Is a lot broader than that. There are endless possibilities in mass communications too, for those who feel mass comm is limited, I feel they should get their facts straight. If you ask me, I'd say Mass Comm has a wider job prospect in Nigeria than Linguistics.
you for criticize the course were u day study before?abeg leh mi hear word.
Re: Linguistics And Mass Communication: Which Is The Better Course? by TiffanyJ(f): 6:36pm On Sep 14, 2013
Linguistics is far more better than mass com. A Linguist can work in the bank, in the classroom, in the hospital, media and even in embassies etc. A Linguist can also b a reasercher. A friend of mine whose aunty works for Blueprint newspaper told me the owner of the said newspaper is a graduate of English language...although i don't know how true it is. I wil go for linguistics any day, any time!
Re: Linguistics And Mass Communication: Which Is The Better Course? by pinkkindy(f): 6:58pm On Sep 14, 2013
Dorcas Karuana: Linguistics is broader than Mass Communication. You learn the writing, speaking, and reading. There are various disciplines such as: social linguistics, phonetics, phonology, Semantics, Pragmatics, Syntax e.tc. For Career wise, you can diversify to fields in communication such as writing, editing, reporting e.tc.

For Mass Communication it is a bot specialized and restricted to Communication alone. Journalism, media, editing e.t.c

www.careerpointkenya.com

dats not true.
Mass comm also has advert nd public relations.
Re: Linguistics And Mass Communication: Which Is The Better Course? by Waladade4luv(m): 7:19pm On Sep 14, 2013
Well well well as for me i think linguistics is much more better although i hold a combine degree in both i.e B.A lingusics and communication studies but wia i found mysef now (a civil servant) non is so much relevant but i think mass comm is like pure water now everybody wants to study it without even knowning much abt it. I beleive its even more of talent than ability. . . Linguistics has an edge over mass comm as for me if am given an opportunity to chose a course over and over again i think it will still b lingustics. . . Its a course u much learn to love and love to learn
Re: Linguistics And Mass Communication: Which Is The Better Course? by MyMouth(m): 7:56pm On Sep 14, 2013
Trottle: Linguistics over mass comm? undecided nah. Not in Nigeria and even beyond. To study mass communication nowadays, you have to be good with computers and some related devices and its job prospect is higher than linguistics. I admit that mass comm student (even in my school I inclusive) are always many at 100 LEVEL but they are filtered and the unsuitables are usually ported to political science, P.E.S, linguistics. Before getting to 400L, we would have been even in population with many other courses.

ported to pol. science? u dey craze, you think pol. sci. is easy abi? and how easy is it for one to port from art to social science? i guess ur school is one of those dumping grounds we have in this country.
Re: Linguistics And Mass Communication: Which Is The Better Course? by Trottle: 9:33pm On Sep 14, 2013
My Mouth:

ported to pol. science? u dey craze, you think pol. sci. is easy abi? and how easy is it for one to port from art to social science? i guess ur school is one of those dumping grounds we have in this country.
embarassed embarassed Bros i ain't sayin that it is not a good course but that is not what nigeria need now and its opportunity is limited ,but never compare it with mass communication. Many student are just studying it for study sake. If with connection, where do you want to work in nigeria; become a primary school teacher? Pol. Sci is not what we need in naija. "People neva belleful, na one kain political thinking you go dae do. naija no be abroad", am sure its not pol. Sci you intend to study but you were flung there. And even trying to be defensive?i attend a state school so don't go there. And be civil when interacting.
undecided
Re: Linguistics And Mass Communication: Which Is The Better Course? by honTim(m): 9:35pm On Sep 14, 2013
Please is Linguistic the brother of Library and Information science? If it is, i'd say u go 4 it, otherwise, Library and Information Science would be d right course for u.
Re: Linguistics And Mass Communication: Which Is The Better Course? by yomanovic: 11:08pm On Sep 14, 2013
I studied Mass Comm for my OND and did DE to study Language and Literary Studies to obtain B.A. The deal is there are both interwoven but there is more to Mass Communication because someone who read linguistics is able to practice journalism and broadcasting but has to do extra work to make up for Public Relations and Advertising. Both will do well in publishing though. All the same, the way the country is at the moment really doesnt need you to bother about which of them you want to do because if the higher is able to make impacts on you, you can fit in anywhere you are requested to render services.
Re: Linguistics And Mass Communication: Which Is The Better Course? by MyMouth(m): 2:13am On Sep 15, 2013
Trottle:
embarassed embarassed Bros i ain't sayin that it is not a good course but that is not what nigeria need now and its opportunity is limited ,but never compare it with mass communication. Many student are just studying it for study sake. If with connection, where do you want to work in nigeria; become a primary school teacher? Pol. Sci is not what we need in naija. "People neva belleful, na one kain political thinking you go dae do. naija no be abroad", am sure its not pol. Sci you intend to study but you were flung there. And even trying to be defensive?i attend a state school so don't go there. And be civil when interacting.
undecided

ok, you see, your problem is that you know absolutly nothing about political science, you think political science is all about political thinking abi? and you think it is not relevent in nig. ba? now let me school you a little, pol. sci. also comprises courses like public administration, international relations, political economy etc,, when u study pol. sci. you can wrk anywhere in the world, starting from the local govt. up to the U.N. Pol. sci. gratuates are also in high demand in profession like the military, police, sss, nia, and all para military organizations, and ofcoure pol. scientist are the engine room of the civil service anywhere in the world. The oppurtunities are limitless unlike mass com that u box yourself into one corner(media). and for your information, i applied to study pol. sci. in school and presently i am running my M.Sc in international Relations & strategic studies, still under the dept. of political science. so pls get your facts right before coming here to say what you know nothing about.
Re: Linguistics And Mass Communication: Which Is The Better Course? by missvera(f): 3:44am On Sep 15, 2013
I love the two courses, as an OND holder in mass communications and presently a linguistics undergraduate but I will say if you are not sure of yourself "Do not go for Linguistics" as it's more technical than mass communications.
Re: Linguistics And Mass Communication: Which Is The Better Course? by missvera(f): 3:51am On Sep 15, 2013
As an OND holder in mass communications and presently a linguistics undergraduate, my advice is "if you are not sure of yourself, Do not go for Linguistics" as it's more technical than mass communications.
Re: Linguistics And Mass Communication: Which Is The Better Course? by mascotblaze(m): 8:09am On Sep 15, 2013
Hello there, wonderin aw funny pple votin linguistics ova mass comm can be..... U beta wake up dis is an African setting. And mind u mass comm isn't limited 2 d media alone. So many opportunities abound if u cn use ur head And ur hands. Wake up peeps Nigerian parlance do not giv thumbs up to linguistics
Re: Linguistics And Mass Communication: Which Is The Better Course? by Noneroone(m): 10:25am On Sep 15, 2013
Trottle:
undecided
I saw where you were headed to the moment you started but you denied it. Now that you have decided to unmask yourself, i know you better as one of those who harbour prejudices for a decipline after failing to gain admission to study it. Your inclusion of political science (of all disciplines) even in an unrelated issue attests to this. Even if i judge your first comment on its own merit, it will still be found guilty in the court of common sense. This is because social science disciplines have different entry requirments in SSCE hence while Pol science may emphasize govt & econs, Economic emphasize econs & govt&maths. Mass comunications, even where it has the priviledge of being housed in social science faculty still emphasize english language and literature. Therefore no school, even irresponsible ones like your own, will "port" students to other departments without meeting the minimum rquirements. Moreover, political science, by its very nature, has most of its students as male while mass comm has almost ninety per- cent female. How then can a female who cannot sail down the easy cliff of mass comm "port" to start climbing the hills of political science. Your insinuations that political science is irrelevant stinks of naivety and ignorance which is unbecoming of an individual of your status. Political scientists have wide range of employment opportunities ranging from local government administration, administrative offices both in state and federal government (which constitute the core of civil service), foreign or diplomatic service such as ministry of foreign affairs or international organisations, military, para-militery and other security agencies. Also electoral commissions and political parties. The exclusion of political scientists in the last (political parties) contributes to political decay, but with time, things will be put in order. Political science is a wide field of study which encompasses political theory, international relations, public administration, political economy, comparative goverment, political behaviour among others. I dare say that that mass comm is no bigger than or more relevant than any of these individual sub-fields not to talk of political science as a discipline. I don't intend to derail the thread provided it is limited to its topic.
Re: Linguistics And Mass Communication: Which Is The Better Course? by Nobody: 1:14pm On Sep 15, 2013
Donaldmike: I have been thinking about this two courses. Which is the better between the two and which one has more job prospect in Nigeria.

Nairalanders, your insight is needed

In Nigeria, both professions are treated with no or less importance, when u find yourself in one then u're getting it done cos u enjoy what u've indulged into.

Though Linguistics is a broad discipline that serves one limitless job opportunities.
Re: Linguistics And Mass Communication: Which Is The Better Course? by Toyde(m): 3:36pm On Sep 15, 2013
Fresia01: my brother, my skul combines linguistics and comm. We dnt jux study linguistics we add up comm 2 it 2 make it broader dan mass! Anytin a mass communicator can do, linguistics and comm graduatn can do it beta
Hello, we are not only talking abt ur skul here, don't derail d thread by proving ur skul's linguistic is beta, instead give an open advice........it's not only ur skul dat offers mass comm and linguistic, in some skuls , mass comm dept is better. So let's try and reason togeda and draw d discussion to a conclusive end, we don't need to be bias becos we study/studied a particular course. I'm really enjoying d discussion here, thumbs up to those who av contributed.
Re: Linguistics And Mass Communication: Which Is The Better Course? by wahabest(m): 4:59pm On Sep 15, 2013
Masscom is better. And linguistic is a sub-course under it.
Re: Linguistics And Mass Communication: Which Is The Better Course? by Danieltskaa: 5:45pm On Sep 15, 2013
I am a graduate of mass communication from BSU yet to serve...the course teaches you practical writing skills specifically for the media,it teaches you media theories,public Relations,advertising and ethics which is the most important...a linguist will have to learn all these to fit into any media organization. If you intend to work as a journalist,read mass comm. However,in Nigeria anything goes.
Re: Linguistics And Mass Communication: Which Is The Better Course? by Trottle: 9:29pm On Sep 15, 2013
[
Noneroone: I saw where you were headed to the moment you started but you denied it. Now that you have decided to unmask yourself, i know you better as one of those who harbour prejudices for a decipline after failing to gain admission to study it. Your inclusion of political science (of all disciplines) even in an unrelated issue attests to this. Even if i judge your first comment on its own merit, it will still be found guilty in the court of common sense. This is because social science disciplines have different entry requirments in SSCE hence while Pol science may emphasize govt & econs, Economic emphasize econs & govt&maths. Mass comunications, even where it has the priviledge of being housed in social science faculty still emphasize english language and literature. Therefore no school, even irresponsible ones like your own, will "port" students to other departments without meeting the minimum rquirements. Moreover, political science, by its very nature, has most of its students as male while mass comm has almost ninety per- cent female. How then can a female who cannot sail down the easy cliff of mass comm "port" to start climbing the hills of political science. Your insinuations that political science is irrelevant stinks of naivety and ignorance which is unbecoming of an individual of your status. Political scientists have wide range of employment opportunities ranging from local government administration, administrative offices both in state and federal government (which constitute the core of civil service), foreign or diplomatic service such as ministry of foreign affairs or international organisations, military, para-militery and other security agencies. Also electoral commissions and political parties. The exclusion of political scientists in the last (political parties) contributes to political decay, but with time, things will be put in order. Political science is a wide field of study which encompasses political theory, international relations, public administration, political economy, comparative goverment, political behaviour among others. I dare say that that mass comm is no bigger than or more relevant than any of these individual sub-fields not to talk of political science as a discipline. I don't intend to derail the thread provided it is limited to its topic.
Oga abeg no vex e neva reach that extent nowembarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed :-
Re: Linguistics And Mass Communication: Which Is The Better Course? by Trottle: 9:32pm On Sep 15, 2013
[
My Mouth:

ok, you see, your problem is that you know absolutly nothing about political science, you think political science is all about political thinking abi? and you think it is not relevent in nig. ba? now let me school you a little, pol. sci. also comprises courses like public administration, international relations, political economy etc,, when u study pol. sci. you can wrk anywhere in the world, starting from the local govt. up to the U.N. Pol. sci. gratuates are also in high demand in profession like the military, police, sss, nia, and all para military organizations, and ofcoure pol. scientist are the engine room of the civil service anywhere in the world. The oppurtunities are limitless unlike mass com that u box yourself into one corner(media). and for your information, i applied to study pol. sci. in school and presently i am running my M.Sc in international Relations & strategic studies, still under the dept. of political science. so pls get your facts right before coming here to say what you know nothing about.
lipsrsealed
My Mouth:

lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed embarassed :-
ok no vex b vexing matter ma oga
Re: Linguistics And Mass Communication: Which Is The Better Course? by Trottle: 9:32pm On Sep 15, 2013
[
My Mouth:

lipsrsealed
My Mouth:

ok no vex b vexing matter ma oga
Re: Linguistics And Mass Communication: Which Is The Better Course? by Trottle: 9:33pm On Sep 15, 2013
[
My Mouth:

lipsrsealed
My Mouth:

ok no vex b vexing matter na oga
Re: Linguistics And Mass Communication: Which Is The Better Course? by Trottle: 9:34pm On Sep 15, 2013
[
My Mouth:

lipsrsealed
My Mouth:

ok no vex b vexing matter na oga
Re: Linguistics And Mass Communication: Which Is The Better Course? by Ezico4success: 10:03pm On Sep 15, 2013
both are good. The one u should go 4 is a function of where u wil be at ur best. Just ask God 4 direction

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Man Sets Himself Ablaze In Gombe Over Buhari's Rejection Of Peace Corps Bill / Tension As Boulos Sacks 70 Workers / Meet Kelechi Ndukwe, First Nigerian-American Naval Captain

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 95
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.