Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,651 members, 7,865,611 topics. Date: Wednesday, 19 June 2024 at 09:43 PM

Nigerian Architecture:a Protest - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerian Architecture:a Protest (765 Views)

Photos From A Protest In Rivers Against Wike Alledged Plan To Sack LG Chairmen / Lagos State Grants SNG Permission To Stage A Protest At Gani Park On Saturday / Soldiers Curtailed My Movements To Lead A Protest - Femi Falana (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Architecture:a Protest by doyin13(m): 2:02pm On Feb 17, 2008
Its been a while since I have been in Naija, but I have been horrified by
the ghastly edifices which some people choose to reside in, if these Nollywood
movies are a true reflection of what is going on.

The latest fad seems to be having columns, colonnades, even caryatids framing
buildings, inspired by Graeco Roman classical architecture I guess. Prior to my exile
the fad were this abhorrent buildings where the new ones tried to outdo the old in
how many ridiculous angles they can inflict on their structures.

Residential buildings ooo.

But they are crazy. I think it is vulgar, crass and ultimately bush.

Architects around the world often draw inspiration form strands around the world
but not at the expense of a 'locale' identity. . . .so for example the Gherkin in London,
which has something of an Asian influence still has some relation with the historically
dominant St. Paul's Cathedral. . .

Besides this departures or aberrations in some cases, are diversons from what is a
consistent theme that is historically grounded.

It is this lack of historical perspective in our buildings that rankles with me.

Where are the buildings that point to the thatch roof and adaptable clay/mud walls
our ancestors used to live in the South. . .or the reenactment of the fantastic architectural
bequest in Kano?

Abeg does anyone feel this strongly about Nigerian Architecture . . . .Please comment.
Re: Nigerian Architecture:a Protest by idupaul: 2:41pm On Feb 25, 2008
What ur talking about is actually a contemporary school of design called NAIJA grotesque, its a design created to waste space ,material,creativity and at the same time boosting the our barbaric penchant for accumulation, its unique.

These designs are carried out by most freelance architects using a simple auto CAD applications and their minds to create, Even giant engineering firms like Berger have their own flat designs that remind u of an A4 paper.

Where are the buildings that point to the thatch roof and adaptable clay/mud walls
our ancestors used to live in the South. . .or the reenactment of the fantastic architectural
bequest in Kano?

NAAA i dont think so man.
Re: Nigerian Architecture:a Protest by pahtahkee: 3:11pm On Feb 25, 2008
Abeg make I go find for my dictionary. All this grammar today, are mind blowing. grin
Re: Nigerian Architecture:a Protest by almondjoy(f): 3:41pm On Feb 25, 2008
@doyin13

dodoyeye darling,

You are complaining of what you saw in Nigerian movies.  Wait till you see the houses in "real time" events.

Just have courage sha to hold yourself from cursing and swearing. Don't allow all that Graeco-Roman razzmattazz fool you.  All na[b] "kpandugwu"![/b]

You will really understand that Nigerians have no "taste" with all the designer junk they accumulate!

Unfortunately, the ones that travel out of the country are even worse.

Please do not blame them.  Before the containers arrive from Gwhanzou and Dubai and dodge illegal custom agents at the wharfs being contrabands, the junk in there is outdated and have to be used like that--to pose!  Tryin' to keep up with things they have watched on "The Travel Channel" via DSTV! grin

CLUELESS! Everything about most Nigerian homes is just about "cut and nail"!  Forget the finishing---Poor. Cheap wood, pipe work and electricity cables. Within 3 months--the roof is already leaking.

Where ever the money stop--the building projects stops.  Don't be surprised if some of those so called mansions--remain uncompleted is various parts of those houses.

Infact it was so disgusting---I tire to shout!

Lord help you if you contract your house out to a "foreman" to build in absentia for you.  You will stroke out when you see the final product.  Them don chop ya dollar pound be that! cheesy

For those ones with swimming pools, just be ready to come back with assorted skin type infections.  Other areas infected from those mosquito-breedin' fish/tadpole ponds are not suitable to be discussed here.  Just consult your doctor--when you get back for a total septic work up and the necessary drugs to fight the infections.  Some of those infections may have no known cures.  Big risk to swim in any swimming pool in Nigeria especially when you see the type of people who have been in them.

pahtahkee:

Abeg make I go find for my dictionary. All this grammar today, are mind blowing. grin

Even with all that Covenant University, Otta Farm PLC, Ivy League training? shocked
Re: Nigerian Architecture:a Protest by Nobody: 4:10pm On Feb 25, 2008
the blame is not so much on the architects as it is on the 'money miss road client' (and they are many, believe me - who insists on grandiose structure that they beleiev reflects their status /image.
Re: Nigerian Architecture:a Protest by Kobojunkie: 5:46pm On Feb 25, 2008
almondjoy:

@doyin13

dodoyeye darling,

You are complaining of what you saw in Nigerian movies. Wait till you see the houses in "real time" events.

Just have courage sha to hold yourself from cursing and swearing. Don't allow all that Graeco-Roman razzmattazz fool you. All na[b] "kpandugwu"!
[/b]

You will really understand that Nigerians have no "taste" with all the designer junk they accumulate!

Unfortunately, the ones that travel out of the country are even worse.

Please do not blame them. Before the containers arrive from Gwhanzou and Dubai and dodge illegal custom agents at the wharfs being contrabands, the junk in there is outdated and have to be used like that--to pose! Tryin' to keep up with things they have watched on "The Travel Channel" via DSTV! grin

CLUELESS! Everything about most Nigerian homes is just about "cut and nail"! Forget the finishing---Poor. Cheap wood, pipe work and electricity cables. Within 3 months--the roof is already leaking.

Where ever the money stop--the building projects stops. Don't be surprised if some of those so called mansions--remain uncompleted is various parts of those houses.

Infact it was so disgusting---I tire to shout!

Lord help you if you contract your house out to a "foreman" to build in absentia for you. You will stroke out when you see the final product. Them don chop ya dollar pound be that! cheesy

For those ones with swimming pools, just be ready to come back with assorted skin type infections. Other areas infected from those mosquito-breedin' fish/tadpole ponds are not suitable to be discussed here. Just consult your doctor--when you get back for a total septic work up and the necessary drugs to fight the infections. Some of those infections may have no known cures. Big risk to swim in any swimming pool in Nigeria especially when you see the type of people who have been in them.

Even with all that Covenant University, Otta Farm PLC, Ivy League training? shocked

NOW I AM almost peeing in my shorts. I hope I do not loose it when I see it all. embarassed
Re: Nigerian Architecture:a Protest by Nobody: 10:04pm On Feb 25, 2008
@ doyin

Are you just realizing that Nigerians are very good at copying? But at the end we don't even copy well cheesy. I watched an event on tv few years back and I happened to see Nigerian dance group, dancing a south African dance with the spears and shield etc. Did they dance it well --"NO". We have over 250 tribes in Nigeria, that one no do us, na foreign one they sweet us pass grin cheesy

It is this lack of historical perspective in our buildings that rankles with me.

bequest in Kano?

This is an issue that I've been keeping in my mind for years now, and it's nice to see that people are thinking towards that side that usually escapes us.

(1) (Reply)

Immunity Clause To Be Removed!? / See Snake, Kill It! / O’reilly’s “lynching Party” And Michelle Obama

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.