Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,425 members, 7,836,702 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 11:43 AM

Alaafin Tackles Ooni On Yoruba History - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Alaafin Tackles Ooni On Yoruba History (9605 Views)

Kwakwanso’s Insult On Yoruba Elders Will Not Go Unanswered: femi Fani-kayode / GEJ Tackles Obasanjo: ‘Your Utterances Ridiculing Nigeria, Scaring Investors’ / Boko Haram On Yoruba Soil Is A Declaration Of War - OPC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Alaafin Tackles Ooni On Yoruba History by Nobody: 8:35pm On Dec 17, 2012
I found the Interview I referred to about the controversial June 12 and The Ooni connection.

[b]As a young Prince, you were also close to other Princes, like Prince Adeyemi before he became the Alaafin of Oyo and Alhaji Ado Bayero?
Kabiyesi:
(Cuts in) No. I was close to Alhaji Ado Bayero and not Adeyemi the Alaafin. Prince Adeyemi was brought to me by Chief Ashamu to help him ascend the throne. I had never met him before that time, but I was told he was working as a Clerk at the Great Nigeria Insurance company. They brought him (Adeyemi) for me to help because I was the closest friend of the then Governor of the Western region, Governor Colonel Robert Adeyinka Adebayo at that time. I did my best, not really for him (Adeyemi) but for Ashamu, who was a friend that brought a young man for help.

So, it shows clearly that at a point, you were also close to the present Alaafin?
Kabiyesi:
No, I was never close to him.

But you knew him?
Kabiyesi:
They brought him to me; I met him once and I helped him. I was at his installation because I was invited by the Governor. For ten years, I did not see him until December 16, 1980 when I was appointed as Chairman of the traditional rulers in Oyo State by the late Chief Bola Ige; I met him again. We were never friends because he is junior to me.

Ooni Sijuwade,Olubuse II

What’s your relationship with him today?
Kabiyesi :
With me there is no problem. If he (Alaafin) comes in here today, I will entertain him. I don’t know what he thinks about me, but here, every traditional ruler is welcome.

You have also had some difficult moments in your life. One of them was when you were suspended by the Buhari/Idiagbon administration along with your brother and friend, the Emir of Kano. What actually happened?
Kabiyesi:
It’s an interesting story. The Emir of Kano had been thinking of going to the second holiest Mosque for a very long time. And every year, I go to Israel twice for prayers on Mount Zion. My first visit to Mount Zion was in 1962 and I had been going twice a year to pray.

So, on this occasion, we decided, first of all, to spend two days in Athens and Cyprus with the Leventis family and from there, to Israel. Unfortunately for the Emir of Kano, he spent only 24 hours because he went to the second holiest mosque for prayers and he left me to go to another holy ground, somewhere in Switzerland. I was there for two, may be, three days. When I flew to London, I think it was Alhaji Odunewu (Allah De) who rang me from Lagos that it was on the television that we went to Israel without informing the Federal government.

As God would have it, I was planning to have a big farm and I had a friend, a German, that had a big farm in Germany. But God works in mysterious ways. When I got home in London, I met a letter from the then Colonel Oladayo Popoola, the Governor, asking me to attend a ceremony being organised by the then Colonel Nwachukwu, then the Governor of Imo State, establishing the Council of Traditional rulers and that the Chairman to be appointed in Imo, insisted that he wanted the Ooni of Ife to be there.

So, Nwachukwu got in touch with Popoola and Popoola sent a message to me in London saying: “Papa, please honour this invitation”. That was why I did not go to Germany. My not going to Germany saved me from further embarrassment, which I will explain to you presently.

So, seeing the Governor’s letter, I jumped into the plane and I came home to attend the ceremony. The late Professor Biobaku, Dr. Otolorin and a few others, joined me here and we went to Imo state. When we came back, the problem started. Just one fine morning at 6.00 a.m., my receptionist told me that Colonel Popoola was at the reception. Anyway, the Governor came and told me what had happened in Ibadan. He asked me how soon I could get to Ibadan because they had given him a certain instruction from Dodon Barracks. I was in Ibadan at 8:30am. I was to see the Governor by 9.00 a.m. and I was leaving my home, the Governor called me and said: “Baba, don’t come here, I have an unexpected guest”. At 9:30 a.m., he rang me. I went there and they brought the letter of suspension by the Secretary to the Government, who did not even know what had happened earlier in the day.

I read the suspension letter and I told the Governor, this was alien to Yoruba land because nobody can suspend the Ooni. So, I asked the Saarun (traditional aide-de-camp) to sign for the letter and we left.

That was instructive because history would ask whether the Ooni was blind folded to commit an abomination of signing for a suspension letter!

Three days after that incident, somebody from Dodan Barracks came to see me. The Director General from SSS sent a senior staff here to collect my passport from me and I gave them the two passports that I had – diplomatic and ordinary. The third day, he came back, and said: “Sir, in our record, you have another passport”. That was the one I took 40 to 50 years ago! So, I wrote to my financial director in Lagos to look into my files for my other passport and hand it over to the Director General of the SSS, which he did.

So, after four weeks, somebody came in from Dodan Barracks and said: “Sir, we are sorry for what we’ve done”. Apparently, some people told a big lie against me and the Emir of Kano. It was the Alaafin, who went to Abiola to sell to Abiola that I went to Israel and that I took the Emir of Kano to Israel as a camouflage and that I had earlier gone to Germany to recruit some killers and that I had taken them to the MOSSAD in Israel, to be trained specially and to be brought back to Nigeria to wrestle power from Buhari for Awolowo!! That’s why we were suspended.
Re: Alaafin Tackles Ooni On Yoruba History by Nobody: 8:42pm On Dec 17, 2012
Who told the story? Was it MKO Abiola?
Kabiyesi:
No, it was someone who came from Dodon Barracks. They sold the dummy to Abiola; Abiola sold it to Babangida and Babangida sold it to Dodan Barracks. How did this come out? They were looking for a German visa in the two passports that I gave them. He told them that I went to Germany to recruit! So, there was no visa in the two passports, but they said Ooni is a clever man. He must have used the ordinary passport. That was why they requested for the ordinary passport. Now, when they got the ordinary passport and they saw that it has not been used for 30 years, they knew the plot was meant to bring the Ooni down. That’s what happened.

What’s your relationship with Buhari now?
Kabiyesi:
Cordial. Buhari was here, when he was campaigning, I received him and I even gave him a gift because we leave everything to God.

[b]You mentioned Chief MKO Abiola, what was your relationship with him? Because there are those who say that you did not support the June 12 cause in relation to Abiola?
Kabiyesi: [/b]You see, it’s a long story. Abiola had been coming to greet me before I became Ooni. I used to give Abiola business to do. Abiola was the closest friend of my late younger brother, Dapo. So Abiola was a younger brother to me. Awolowo was above Abiola. Abiola was one of those who did not allow Awolowo to reach his goal and that is partly why we are suffering today.

That is why Yorubas are suffering today. If Awolowo had made it to being the president of this country, this country would have been great. Abiola had been planning to be president for 20 years.

I believe so much in your ability but I don’t believe in your destroying anybody. Whether I believe in June 12 or not, I donated and gave Abiola money up to four times. In my house in London, Abiola was with me up to three times. I knew Abiola very well and he was very close to me.
Re: Alaafin Tackles Ooni On Yoruba History by Nobody: 8:50pm On Dec 17, 2012
There is no Alaafin without Ooni, there is no Oyo without Ife. Orun Oba Ido, here in Ile-Ife was the burial ground for Benin Obas, till 1916.
-----Ooni of Ife.

http://ksang.org/ksangmembers/pg/blog/stjude/read/1623/oduduwa-revisited-the-story-of-ooni-okunade-sijuwade-olubuse-ii
Re: Alaafin Tackles Ooni On Yoruba History by Nobody: 8:53pm On Dec 17, 2012
After June 12, the traditional rulers visited the Federal government and when they came out, you spoke on their behalf. You said June 12 was gone and that the people, in the context of a possible re-run of the elections, should go out and participate. Can you tell us what happened?
Kabiyesi:
There was nothing like that. It was July 26, 1993. There was a meeting in Abuja and my phone rang. We were staying in Nicon Hotel; it was the Awujale who said he was on his way. By 9:30p.m, the door opened and it was the Awujale, followed by Alaafin and the late Oba of Lagos, Adeyinka Oyekan. They sat down. They asked me what was going to happen tomorrow. I said we had been invited by the government, but that we could play a fast one on them! Let’s tell them at the meeting tomorrow that, that as fathers of Abiola, since he (Abiola) had won the elections and if there was no cogent reason why he had not been appointed as the president, the Yoruba will break from the Nigerian union the next day.

The Awujale said: “Alaye, you are going to say it because 70 per cent of Yoruba’s problems are on the Ooni”! I replied and said, “It was the headache of the Federal government and not mine. If I say it and I’m detained, tell them at home”!!

The meeting started and the President spoke for a few minutes. The former Sultan, Alhaji Ibrahim Dasuki, spoke and then it was my turn to speak. I said, ” Mr. President, first and foremost, by way of digression, when we were here in April, I told you exactly that in my temple in Ife, I saw darkness descending on Nigeria and that you should take steps.

I said the next speaker after me on that day, was the Oba of Benin, who affirmed what I said and yet, you did nothing. I said that darkness has now engulfed Nigeria.” That was by way of digression. I said, “Abiola, who is our own son should have the mandate of the people. He won the elections; you refused to appoint him. If there was no cogent reason, then the Yorubas are no longer interested in the Nigerian union”. There were 30 traditional rulers there when I spoke and the whole place was dead in silence.

Everybody on that day spoke in my favour. They didn’t want secession; they didn’t want the country to break-up. So, they were more or less on my side except one traditional ruler from Imo State. He said: “Why don’t you allow the government do whatever they think is right”. The Awujale was sitting opposite me. When he took the microphone, he said: “Mr. President, you know I always disagree with the Ooni every now and then, but on this occasion, I agree with Ooni a hundred per cent”! President Babangida later took the microphone. He said gentlemen,” I’m the closest to Abiola’s family and what I have done is for friendship’s sake”. He brought out a file and said he has paid Abiola over $800 million for jobs done and those not done. The whole place was dead silent.

Yet, I was not satisfied; I raised my hand and then Dasuki spoke in Yoruba to me to let the matter die there. Still, I was not happy. After the meeting, as we stood up, about six Emirs moved close to me and said: “Ooni, you are not going today. We will come to your hotel room at 8p.m’. At that time, Uche Chukwumerije, who was then the Minister of Information, moved nearer and said: “Your Highness, the press is waiting”. I followed him out. When the press asked about the outcome of the meeting, I said the president spoke sense, but that we were going back home because we had a mandate from our people. When I got to my hotel, I met my aide who said I had been misquoted. I asked my aide, “Why do you bother your head?’.

Some three Emirs later came to my hotel room and said: “Ooni, we saw you today being very annoyed but the downfall of Abiola has nothing to do with us. Abiola was used by the military and he is having problems with the military. Ooni, give us a Yoruba man that can rule this country and the entire north will not raise any eyebrow”. That was how the Yorubas came to rule. I further asked the Emirs if they could reconsider and they said that the north had no hand in Abiola’s downfall but that I should present a Yoruba man to rule the country.
Re: Alaafin Tackles Ooni On Yoruba History by Nobody: 8:57pm On Dec 17, 2012
There are two names you’ve mentioned repeatedly, Babangida and Obasanjo. What is your relationship with Babangida today? First because during his last visit to Ile-Ife, on his way out of office, just before Osun State was created, we were assured that Ife would become the state capital at that time and of course, it never happened. What was your relationship with Babangida then, and now?
Kabiyesi:
We did not put our foot down that Ife had to be the state capital. I single handedly got Osun State created. The Orogun Ila phoned me and said they were coming to see me. When they came, they said they have done their best for this state, and that they wanted to hand it over to me and I ask him what do you mean by that.

So, I phoned Babangida that I wanted to come and see him. He said that I should come and I told him at that meeting that I wanted a state.

He said, “Kabiyesi, why do you want me to break Yorubaland any further?” I said, “the one you gave us in Oyo State cannot even develop Ibadan, how much more other towns surrounding Oyo State”.

He said, “Kabiyesi, that’s a very good point”, and he promised to help. But on that occasion, I didn’t tell him that Ife had to be the capital. Few months later, Oba Olashore was launching his book, though he was not an Oba then. Babaginda was the chief guest of honour and I was the chairman, while Abiola was the chief launcher. Twenty traditional rulers went to that launching led by Orogun of Ila, late Oba Ayeni. After the ceremony, I told the president that the tradition rulers from Oyo would like to greet him. As he (Babangida) stretched his hand to the Orogun of Ila, he said, “Mr. President, where is our state”? He said that the Ooni has spoken to him and he would help at the appropriate time. That’s how we got the state. But Abiola was working with Ataoja, but God’s time is the best. So, I don’t blame Babangida for anything.

http://www.nigerianmuse.com/20091231171519zg/nigeria-watch/yorubawatch/oduduwa-revisited-the-story-of-ooni-okunade-sijuwade-olubuse-ii/
Re: Alaafin Tackles Ooni On Yoruba History by rileest: 8:58pm On Dec 17, 2012
Interesting how lots of people read different history online and just claim one is superior than the other.. The ooni will always tell the stories in his favor while the Alaafin will always do the same hence the different accounts and counter accounts we're having.. I'm fortunate enough to come from Ife area and heard the histories orally from elders. Does anyone even have an Idea that Ooni is not the real king of Ife but "Obalufe" Anyone can check the history on this. The Ooni was the son of a slave and never a direct descendant of Oduduwa

1 Like

Re: Alaafin Tackles Ooni On Yoruba History by Nobody: 9:02pm On Dec 17, 2012
rileest: Interesting how lots of people read different history online and just claim one is superior than the other.. The ooni will always tell the stories in his favor while the Alaafin will always do the same hence the different accounts and counter accounts we're having.. I'm fortunate enough to come from Ife area and heard the histories orally from elders. Does anyone even have an Idea that Ooni is not the real king of Ife but "Obalufe" Anyone can check the history on this. The Ooni was the son of a slave and never a direct descendant of Oduduwa

grin grin grin grin History is not on your side.
Re: Alaafin Tackles Ooni On Yoruba History by Nobody: 9:12pm On Dec 17, 2012
rileest: Interesting how lots of people read different history online and just claim one is superior than the other.. The ooni will always tell the stories in his favor while the Alaafin will always do the same hence the different accounts and counter accounts we're having.. I'm fortunate enough to come from Ife area and heard the histories orally from elders. Does anyone even have an Idea that Ooni is not the real king of Ife but "Obalufe" Anyone can check the history on this. The Ooni was the son of a slave and never a direct descendant of Oduduwa

I guess you are from Modakeke (descendants of Oyo People). The fact still remains that Oranmiyan, the direct son of oduduwa eventually ruled and his linage had continually produced Ooni's (Ogboru, Otutu and Osinkola) since then.
Re: Alaafin Tackles Ooni On Yoruba History by rileest: 9:24pm On Dec 17, 2012
saxywale:

I guess you are from Modakeke (descendants of Oyo People). The fact still remains that Oranmiyan, the direct son of oduduwa eventually ruled and his linage had continually produced Ooni's (Ogboru, Otutu and Osinkola) since then.
Where I'm from doesn't matter on this but the fact of the matter, that's why you will never hear of any descendant of Oduduwa accepting that the Ooni is superior, even the Bini people doesn't. There is no disputing the fact of Ife being the spiritual home of every Yoruba but this is not an Issue about Ife but about the Ooni and Alaafin.
Re: Alaafin Tackles Ooni On Yoruba History by Nobody: 9:44pm On Dec 17, 2012
rileest:
Where I'm from doesn't matter on this but the fact of the matter, that's why you will never hear of any descendant of Oduduwa accepting that the Ooni is superior, even the Bini people doesn't. There is no disputing the fact of Ife being the spiritual home of every Yoruba but this is not an Issue about Ife but about the Ooni and Alaafin.
man, It's like talking to a brick wall.
Bini don't argue bout ooni being superior or not. The Bini only argue about Oduduwa(the progenitor of the Yoruba race being a bini prince), don't get it twisted.

You care to tell me why the colonial masters in 1903 called on the Ooni and not the Alaafin to resolve the conflict btw the akarigbo and elepe? abi na UPN & AG cause than one. Is that not superiority?

Modakeke's are from Oyo and hate ife so I am concerned about where you are from. I can't recall any very ancient Yoruba monarch (descendants of Oduduwa), the Alaafin inclusive that do not collect the sword of office from the ooni. Is that not superiority?

... If Ife had existed with kings before Oyo was created, how come Oyo's Alaafin is now greater than Ooni's Ile ife?

Tell us, what was the name of the King at Oyo
before Oranmiyan? You can't because there was no
king at Oyo. On what basis should Oyo Alaafin hold sway
over Ife Ooni when Ife existed before Oyo was created?

should we continue to respect Oyo because its
military reigned before the 19th century? Why not
Owu then since Owu was was the first kingdom to
defeat Oyo? Did the Olowu not capture Alaafin Akaka.

Did the Egba not defeat Oyo (remember Lisabi and Sorunke) ?

Oyo was powerless all through the Ibadan expansionist wars and the final war in Yoruba land, the Kiriji wars in 1886. Where was Oyo when all the powerful Yoruba states were warring in the Kiriji wars? They were at home because they weren't relevant.

Where was Oyo when
all the Yoruba states were signing the peace treaty
in Lagos in 1886?

The Onipoopo, Orangun and Sabe (his senior brothers) never disputed the fact of ooni's kingship and authority, why is the Alaafin now trying to rewrite the history of the Yoruba?
Re: Alaafin Tackles Ooni On Yoruba History by AndreUweh(m): 10:11pm On Dec 17, 2012
shymexx: Hmmm.... Interesting read... However, I think this is a case of two people with big egos - they need to sort this out amicably... Ife is undeniably the spiritual home of Yoruba people but since the Ooni of Ife isn't from the direct lineage of Oduduwa and Yoruba kingship is hereditary - it can also be argued that the Ooni of Ife is an "illegitimate" King and he has no dominion whatsoever over the race(except for Ife)... And the Oyo's superiority died a long time ago...

All the Yoruba Kings should be allowed to rule over their respective kingdoms - without superiority and dyck waving contest IMO..

I'll like to hear what the Ife dialect sounds like - anyone with a youtube link can post it...

The Ijebu dialect sounds different as well... However, Egba and Ibadan dialects sound more like the general Yoruba albeit still different especially the way they enunciate certain words...
Well said.
Re: Alaafin Tackles Ooni On Yoruba History by AndreUweh(m): 10:18pm On Dec 17, 2012
Which Yoruba Oba appoints the Are ona Kakanfo?. Surely not Ife. The one who appoints this great commander of the yoruba nation will give you a clue of who is more superior in Yorubaland.
As Shymex said earlier, all the Obas should stick to their domains. The Oyo monarch has always not been interested in intervening in other peoples' affairs. Yet it is the Ooni who goes about instigating troubles in Oyo state. Imagine the Ooni pushing the Ogbomosho monarch and the Olubadan to share powers with Alafin in Oyo state while in Osun state, no one shares powers with him.
It's high time Aregbesola suspends the Ooni or call him to order.
Re: Alaafin Tackles Ooni On Yoruba History by DuduNegro: 10:46pm On Dec 17, 2012
Andre Uweh: Which Yoruba Oba appoints the Are ona Kakanfo?. Surely not Ife. The one who appoints this great commander of the yoruba nation will give you a clue of who is more superior in Yorubaland.
As Shymex said earlier, all the Obas should stick to their domains. The Oyo monarch has always not been interested in intervening in other peoples' affairs. Yet it is the Ooni who goes about instigating troubles in Oyo state. Imagine the Ooni pushing the Ogbomosho monarch and the Olubadan to share powers with Alafin in Oyo state while in Osun state, no one shares powers with him.

the Aare position is a political one and the appointment is madeby Alaafin.
Re: Alaafin Tackles Ooni On Yoruba History by AndreUweh(m): 10:53pm On Dec 17, 2012
Dudu_Negro:

the Aare position is a political one and the appointment is madeby Alaafin.
It is the most superior Oba in Yorubaland confers this title to individuals. That Oba is the Alafin of Oyo.
Re: Alaafin Tackles Ooni On Yoruba History by DuduNegro: 10:54pm On Dec 17, 2012
This conflict is another prime reason for arguing the case for a return to Yoruba system of governance. Its a sad day when Alaafin and Ooni are competing for right of access to their governor or the President.

We cannot blame white man for cannibalizing our indigenous seats of power, we are doing it ourselves .
Re: Alaafin Tackles Ooni On Yoruba History by DuduNegro: 10:54pm On Dec 17, 2012
Andre Uweh:
It is the most superior Oba in Yorubaland confers this title to individuals. That Oba is the Alafin of Oyo.

yes sir!
Re: Alaafin Tackles Ooni On Yoruba History by Katsumoto: 2:30am On Dec 18, 2012
Andre Uweh: Which Yoruba Oba appoints the Are ona Kakanfo?. Surely not Ife. The one who appoints this great commander of the yoruba nation will give you a clue of who is more superior in Yorubaland.

If the Aare title was created by the Alaafin for his generals, how do you expect other Obas to appoint the Aare? Can the the German chancellor appoint the Austrian Chief of Army staff?

Second, there were Kakanfo's who were appointed by the Alaafin. Edun of Gbogun was appointed by the Onikoyi while the Kakanfo (Toyeje) appointed by the Alaafin was in office. Similarly Latosa appointed himself Aare Kakanfo while the Aare Kakanfo (Ojo Aburumaku) appointed by the Alaafin was in office.
Re: Alaafin Tackles Ooni On Yoruba History by Dede1(m): 3:11am On Dec 18, 2012
saxywale: There are two names you’ve mentioned repeatedly, Babangida and Obasanjo. What is your relationship with Babangida today? First because during his last visit to Ile-Ife, on his way out of office, just before Osun State was created, we were assured that Ife would become the state capital at that time and of course, it never happened. What was your relationship with Babangida then, and now?
Kabiyesi:
We did not put our foot down that Ife had to be the state capital. I single handedly got Osun State created. The Orogun Ila phoned me and said they were coming to see me. When they came, they said they have done their best for this state, and that they wanted to hand it over to me and I ask him what do you mean by that.

So, I phoned Babangida that I wanted to come and see him. He said that I should come and I told him at that meeting that I wanted a state.

He said, “Kabiyesi, why do you want me to break Yorubaland any further?” I said, “the one you gave us in Oyo State cannot even develop Ibadan, how much more other towns surrounding Oyo State”.

He said, “Kabiyesi, that’s a very good point”, and he promised to help. But on that occasion, I didn’t tell him that Ife had to be the capital. Few months later, Oba Olashore was launching his book, though he was not an Oba then. Babaginda was the chief guest of honour and I was the chairman, while Abiola was the chief launcher. Twenty traditional rulers went to that launching led by Orogun of Ila, late Oba Ayeni. After the ceremony, I told the president that the tradition rulers from Oyo would like to greet him. As he (Babangida) stretched his hand to the Orogun of Ila, he said, “Mr. President, where is our state”? He said that the Ooni has spoken to him and he would help at the appropriate time. That’s how we got the state. But Abiola was working with Ataoja, but God’s time is the best. So, I don’t blame Babangida for anything.

http://www.nigerianmuse.com/20091231171519zg/nigeria-watch/yorubawatch/oduduwa-revisited-the-story-of-ooni-okunade-sijuwade-olubuse-ii/

“He said, “Kabiyesi, why do you want me to break Yorubaland any further?” I said, “the one you gave us in Oyo State cannot even develop Ibadan, how much more other towns surrounding Oyo State”.

This quotation in the above post has buttressed my point about the rate of development in western region or lack thereof especially in conjunction with Lagos, Awolowo and AG.
Re: Alaafin Tackles Ooni On Yoruba History by Nobody: 5:30am On Dec 18, 2012
Dede1:

“He said, “Kabiyesi, why do you want me to break Yorubaland any further?” I said, “the one you gave us in Oyo State cannot even develop Ibadan, how much more other towns surrounding Oyo State”.

This quotation in the above post has buttressed my point about the rate of development in western region or lack thereof especially in conjunction with Lagos, Awolowo and AG.
How many years had passed between when the Ooni made that statement and when Awo was the premier? Do you think Awo had solved every problem facing Yorubaland for eternity?
Re: Alaafin Tackles Ooni On Yoruba History by aribisala0(m): 11:47am On Dec 18, 2012
The Aare title as in "Ona Kakanfo" is an Oyo title covering the OYO empire whilst it existed and is perhaps a war time title akin to "Field Marshal".

There is and has never been one "Yorubaland" under any single king or emperor.
At one point Oyo established hegemony and empire over SOME yoruba kingdoms.Eventually these revolted and shook them off. There are several "Yoruba" kingdoms as such there can be no power to confer titles covering "Yorubaland" unless the modalities for that are worked out in the future. The fact that Germany is bigger than Austria or Switzerland does not give them suzerainty over them even though they too are largely Deutsche people
Re: Alaafin Tackles Ooni On Yoruba History by Katsumoto: 2:06pm On Dec 18, 2012
Aigbofa: How many years had passed between when the Ooni made that statement and when Awo was the premier? Do you think Awo had solved every problem facing Yorubaland for eternity?

If you give Dede1 ample time, he will find a way to blame Awo for Adam taking Eve's apple. grin grin grin
Re: Alaafin Tackles Ooni On Yoruba History by Dede1(m): 2:35pm On Dec 18, 2012
Aigbofa: How many years had passed between when the Ooni made that statement and when Awo was the premier? Do you think Awo had solved every problem facing Yorubaland for eternity?

You should have said so in your previous posts while hailing Awolowo as the second best thing God created after the slice of bread. In fact, you have just reiterated my sentiment if the alleged statement by Ooni was made years ago.
Re: Alaafin Tackles Ooni On Yoruba History by Dede1(m): 2:36pm On Dec 18, 2012
Katsumoto:

If you give Dede1 ample time, he will find a way to blame Awo for Adam taking Eve's apple. grin grin grin

You are a funny chap indeed.
Re: Alaafin Tackles Ooni On Yoruba History by Nobody: 2:43pm On Dec 18, 2012
Dede1:

You should have said so in your previous posts while hailing Awolowo as the second best thing God created after the slice of bread. In fact, you have just reiterated my sentiment if the alleged statement by Ooni was made years ago.

Ooni's comment was made about 35 years after Awo left office, that will be like blaming Murtala for what Jonathan did or didn't do! Does that make any sense to you?
Re: Alaafin Tackles Ooni On Yoruba History by hercules07: 2:54pm On Dec 18, 2012
@Katsumoto

The Ooni is a nonentity, yes Ife was and is the spiritual home of the Yorubas, but, the Alaafin is far superior to the Ooni, why did the Fulanis not make an attempt on Ife, afterall, they were after the Yorubas, it was Awolowo that gave the Ooni the mouth to talk (pardon my YoroEnglish), the Ibadans would have made short work of the Ooni if he had tried any nonsense, yet, when the Alaafin plotted against them, they still respected him.
Re: Alaafin Tackles Ooni On Yoruba History by Dede1(m): 3:08pm On Dec 18, 2012
Aigbofa:

Ooni's comment was made about 35 years after Awo left office, that will be like blaming Murtala for what Jonathan did or didn't do! Does that make any sense to you?

I do not think you are on the wavelength with Kabiyesi and me on this issue. If Ibadan was not developed according to Kabiyesi, what is the mad rant about the so-called Awolowo’s development of Lagos instead of the seat of western regional government in Ibadan? Again, according to Kabiyesi, Ibadan is not developed period.
Re: Alaafin Tackles Ooni On Yoruba History by Dede1(m): 3:16pm On Dec 18, 2012
hercules07: @Katsumoto

The Ooni is a nonentity, yes Ife was and is the spiritual home of the Yorubas, but, the Alaafin is far superior to the Ooni, why did the Fulanis not make an attempt on Ife, afterall, they were after the Yorubas, it was Awolowo that gave the Ooni the mouth to talk (pardon my YoroEnglish), the Ibadans would have made short work of the Ooni if he had tried any nonsense, yet, when the Alaafin plotted against them, they still respected him.

Please tell the truth to some of the unrepentant revisionists on this forum. If Alaafin did not oppose Awolowo’s brand of politics in 40s and 50s, hence the appointment of Ooni as the Governor of western region by AG government, this debate should not have been born.
Re: Alaafin Tackles Ooni On Yoruba History by Nobody: 3:30pm On Dec 18, 2012
Dede1:

Please tell the truth to some of the unrepentant revisionists on this forum. If Alaafin did not oppose Awolowo’s brand of politics in 40s and 50s, hence the appointment of Ooni as the Governor of western region by AG government, this debate should not have been born.

Sir, Adesoji Aderemi's appointment was a ceremonial one. In some commonwealth countries like Canada and Australia, prominent citizens are regularly appointed into such positions. Sir, Aderemi's appointment had nothing to do with the hierarchy of traditional rulers in Yorubaland.

You are just shooting your arrows everywhere hoping one will land on your target. Abeg reach for the recliner jare and relax.
Re: Alaafin Tackles Ooni On Yoruba History by Geomac: 3:42pm On Dec 18, 2012
Dede1:

This is senseless.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Abaribe: People Say I am The Senator For Ndigbo / Enugu LGA Elections: PDP Wins All 17 Chairman And 260 Councillor Seats / Arewa Democratic Watch Says Tinubu's Aspiration Is Unfavourable To The North

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 100
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.