Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,376 members, 7,836,530 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 09:24 AM

Alaafin Tackles Ooni On Yoruba History - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Alaafin Tackles Ooni On Yoruba History (9604 Views)

Kwakwanso’s Insult On Yoruba Elders Will Not Go Unanswered: femi Fani-kayode / GEJ Tackles Obasanjo: ‘Your Utterances Ridiculing Nigeria, Scaring Investors’ / Boko Haram On Yoruba Soil Is A Declaration Of War - OPC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Alaafin Tackles Ooni On Yoruba History by Dede1(m): 4:17pm On Dec 18, 2012
Aigbofa:

Sir, Adesoji Aderemi's appointment was a ceremonial one. In some commonwealth countries like Canada and Australia, prominent citizens are regularly appointed into such positions. Sir, Aderemi's appointment had nothing to do with the hierarchy of traditional rulers in Yorubaland.

You are just shooting your arrows everywhere hoping one will land on your target. Abeg reach for the recliner jare and relax.

Of course, I knew the appointment of Sir Adesoji Aderemi as Governor of western region of Nigeria was ceremonial but executive. You are still chasing the shadow and failing to understand the body politics that went down in western region under Awo’s AG regime. In the eastern region, the Governor was not an Obi, Eze or Igwe. Also in northern region, the Governor was not Emir, El Kanemi or Sultan.
Re: Alaafin Tackles Ooni On Yoruba History by Dede1(m): 4:22pm On Dec 18, 2012
Geomac:

This is senseless.

Of course, it can not make sense to people in the same IQ level with you.

1 Like

Re: Alaafin Tackles Ooni On Yoruba History by Katsumoto: 4:33pm On Dec 18, 2012
hercules07: @Katsumoto

The Ooni is a nonentity, yes Ife was and is the spiritual home of the Yorubas, but, the Alaafin is far superior to the Ooni, why did the Fulanis not make an attempt on Ife, afterall, they were after the Yorubas, it was Awolowo that gave the Ooni the mouth to talk (pardon my YoroEnglish), the Ibadans would have made short work of the Ooni if he had tried any nonsense, yet, when the Alaafin plotted against them, they still respected him.

The Ibadans would have made short work of both Oyo and Ife granted but it didn't. Being that the rulers of Ibadan were not of Royal blood, they relied on Oyo for legitimacy. Similarly, they had huge respect for Ife because of its relevance to Yoruba spirituality. For instance, after Ife was sacked by Modakeke, it was Ogunmola, in 1854, who brokered peace so that the Ife's with Ooni Kubusi could return to Ife. He feared that with the gods not being worshipped, a huge calamity would soon befall the race.

Like I said earlier, if the Alaafin is superior to the Ooni, then the six other Obalades are also superior to the Ooni. If your point is that Oyo was a militarily superior town, then that is a weak point because Oyo didn't fight in the Kiriji while Ife played a huge role. Superiority derived from political or military ability only lasts for as long as that ability/advantage holds. Today, Greece can't came to be greater than Turkey because of Alexander the great. cheesy cool

1 Like

Re: Alaafin Tackles Ooni On Yoruba History by aribisala0(m): 5:38pm On Dec 18, 2012
Dede1:

Of course, it can not make sense to people in the same IQ level with me.

1 Like

Re: Alaafin Tackles Ooni On Yoruba History by Geomac: 6:10pm On Dec 18, 2012
See how Dede-dolt dey useless himself
Re: Alaafin Tackles Ooni On Yoruba History by 7lives: 11:56pm On Dec 18, 2012
rileest: Interesting how lots of people read different history online and just claim one is superior than the other.. The ooni will always tell the stories in his favor while the Alaafin will always do the same hence the different accounts and counter accounts we're having.. I'm fortunate enough to come from Ife area and heard the histories orally from elders. Does anyone even have an Idea that Ooni is not the real king of Ife but "Obalufe" Anyone can check the history on this. The Ooni was the son of a slave and never a direct descendant of Oduduwa
don't waste your time explaining anything here it is a complicated issue, ife was a shrine to the 401 yoruba gods and the oni is suppose to be shrine keeper, unfortunately yorubas have a wrong person in the person of the present ooni in the shrine, a man that was suppose to be a custodian of history shamelessly distorting the facts, ooni should please explain to us why Afonja refuse to attack Ile ife, he may have a better version of the history because what history told us was that Afonja refused to attack ife because this place is yorubas spiritual head quater.
Ooni is a shrine keeper, an ordinary ABORE, if Olugbon, Aresa and Olukoyi of today who are the direct decendants and Oyomesi of yester years are not challenging the autority of alaafin who the hell is ooni. I honestly think that the spirit of afonja has possesed the ooni, the yorubas needs to shut this man up before he begins to adress himself as dan maraya kano, this man knows next to nothing about himself.

1 Like

Re: Alaafin Tackles Ooni On Yoruba History by Desola(f): 12:39am On Dec 19, 2012
Ooni is a shrine keeper, an ordinary ABORE, if Olugbon, Aresa and Olukoyi of today who are the direct decendants and Oyomesi of yester years are not challenging the autority of alaafin who the hell is ooni. I honestly think that the spirit of afonja has possesed the ooni, the yorubas needs to shut this man up before he begins to adress himself as dan maraya kano, this man knows next to nothing about himself.

co-signed!
Re: Alaafin Tackles Ooni On Yoruba History by OAM4J: 1:47am On Dec 19, 2012
We have had this debate many times here and sentiments aside this matter is not as complicated as people are making it.

I am not a fan of the present Ooni, but it makes no sense for any Yoruba man to arrogate Alaafin above Ooni.

All Yorubas believe we are from Oduduwa, who ruled at Ile Ife and all Yoruba towns/cities/villages came to be from Ile Ife. How then can any king of this places be greater than the king of Ile Ife?

Agreed Oyo empired dominated most of Yorubaland at a time including Ile Ife, but that does not make it the source or its King greater than Ile-Ife, besides that empire has long collapsed while Ile Ife remains.

To those claiming Ooni was never royal but a shrine keeper, tell me who then was king or ruler of Ile Ife besides Ooni? Was there ever an Onife of Ile Ife that Ooni killed to become a king? Bare in mind that there has always been a king at Ile Ife even before Oduduwa got to Ife. And it will be a taboo to put a slave on a throne in Yoruba land, no matter how powerful the slave was, he would have been rejected by the rest of Yoruba kings, cos till date all Yoruba kings and children have great respect for Ile Ife.

This is not about Olubuse or Adeyemi, long after these two, Yorubaland will remain. Lets not corrupt the history or make it look complicated for the future Yoruba generations.

2 Likes

Re: Alaafin Tackles Ooni On Yoruba History by DuduNegro: 2:31am On Dec 19, 2012
thank you OAM.

I dont blame all the people according Alaafin the preeminence seat on the race.....I only wish Eko had participated in the Kiriji war, descendants of sword wielding warlords would not today have mouth to argue about Oyo vs Ife. We would have canonballed all of you to surrender and youd paying homeage to Iga Idungaran today. Nonsense! angry
Re: Alaafin Tackles Ooni On Yoruba History by Desola(f): 2:55am On Dec 19, 2012
Dudu_Negro: thank you OAM.

I dont blame all the people according Alaafin the preeminence seat on the race.....I only wish Eko had participated in the Kiriji war, descendants of sword wielding warlords would not today have mouth to argue about Oyo vs Ife. We would have canonballed all of you to surrender and youd paying homeage to Iga Idungaran today. Nonsense! angry

hehehee...

ogogoro is bad for you o, my luv. wink
Re: Alaafin Tackles Ooni On Yoruba History by OAM4J: 3:32am On Dec 19, 2012

cheesy
hehehe cheesy

Or may be our Oba of Lagos should declare himself above all other Yoruba Obas, afterall Eko-Ile (Lagos) is the most posperous of all Yoruba cities and towns presently grin
Re: Alaafin Tackles Ooni On Yoruba History by birdman(m): 3:54am On Dec 19, 2012
saxywale: [b]I found the Interview I referred to about the controversial June 12 and The Ooni connection.
People who talk a lot tend to lie a lot. On that basis, most of the above interview is very likely BS. It smells like it too, especially the supposed Alaafin plot. I could care less if the Ooni was a monkey. Ife is the common connection among all Yorubas, be it Oyo, Benin or Brazil. Ooni, Alaafin are titles that will become increasingly irrelevant, as globalization overtakes two old men fighting to be custodians of history that is bigger than both of them. Ife will remain long after both are dust.
Re: Alaafin Tackles Ooni On Yoruba History by Nobody: 3:55am On Dec 19, 2012
shymexx:

@ the bolded - I haven't read anything about that assertion, so it's just pure conjecture if there's no written/oral proof of such... In as much as I agree that Ife is the spiritual head/home of the Yoruba people, I still believe the Ooni man is a trouble-maker... Perhaps, he's also probably the reason why Ijebus have started dissociating themselves from Ife, with the claim that Obanta migrated from Sudan...

with regards to the Obanta, pls read the article below...

This trend of royal rumblings is also on course in
the Gateway state but with the intervention of
Governor Gbenga Daniel, it appears that a Daniel
has come to judgment. In the Sunday Tribune of 28
May 2000, the royal trio of Oba Adedapo Adewale
Tejuoso (Osile Oke Ona Egba, formerly Oloko of
Oko [Abeokuta]), Late Oba Olawale Adisa Odeleye
(Olowu of Owu Abeokuta), and Oba Alidu Laloko
Sobekun (Agura of Gbagura, formerly the Alagura
of Agura) signed an advertorial where they ran a
detailed analysis to counter the claims of Oba
Sikiru Adetona (Awujale of Ijebuland) which was
published in the Punch of 04 April 2000. The
protests and arguments of the trio were also not
unconnected with the Egba crisis of who is the
paramount or supreme oba in Egbaland between
them and the Alake of Egbaland.

The Awujale was quoted to have declared that he
was superior to the Osile, Agura, and Olowu.

They found Awujale's statement contradictory to his
earlier stance in the Guardian of 25 March 2000,
where the Awujale had said among other things,
"Any attempt to create a traditional rulers forum at
the national level would end in chaos. It is not
possible for say, an Emir from the north to be head
over Awujale and vice versa. For me, I will not take
that from anybody." Awujale said further that he
preferred a situation where everybody would reign
in his domain. Although ethnic differences might be
the logic behind Awujale's stance, but why should
others allow Awujale to be head over them?
Whatever is good for the goose must also be good
for the gander.

The royal trio also stated that there are four
sectional obas in Egbaland - origun merin l'egba ni.
They explained further that due to inter tribal wars
between 1830 and 1834, they came together as four
sovereign individual crowns from Oduduwa to form
Abeokuta. They then jointly secured and run the
territory of Egbaland as a federation in a
cooperative way.

They also averred that the Alake
clandestinely and perfidiously schemed himself to
be imposed by the colonial administration as the
head of Egbaland in 1938. Alake later manipulated
and monopolized the government of Egbaland for
himself alone. They stated that their predecessors
and ancestors had always fought against the
imposition, sometimes paying with their lives. This
is what their Oke Ogun counterparts have failed to
do. Oba Tejuoso confirmed this when he was
promoted last year as a first class oba that he has
achieved what his predecessors had been
clamouring for for over 100 years.

The trio cited the Colony of Lagos Gazette of 24
February 1903 to puncture Awujale's claim of
superiority. In the said Gazette, the Ooni of Ife,
Olubuse I gave evidence of the distribution of the
21 beaded crowns that were given by the house of
Oduduwa. The list included Osile, Agura, Olowu,
Alake, and AWUJALE, with this they declared
Awujale's alleged superiority over them as only
existing in his imagination. grin

The trio also observed that the Awujale settled in Ijebu division while
Akarigbo settled in Remo division, but none settled
in Egbado division. Yet government promoted the
Olu of Ilaro, who was not on the 1903 Gazette list,
from Egbado division as a 1st class oba and co-
chairman of the Ogun State Council of Obas
alongside Alake, Awujale, and Akarigbo. They
wondered why Awujale didn't protest against the
elevation of the Olu of Ilaro to his equal in the
council.

They reminded Awujale that he and the
Akarigbo of Remoland were not paramount rulers
until the Ijebu and Remo divisions were carved out
of Abeokuta province. The three royal comrades
have however been promoted to the status of a first
class oba on 19 August 2004 alongside 18 others.

The Yoruba's are very sophisticated more than you imagined.

and note: Obanta reigns over Ijebu - Ode and not Ijebuland. The Ijebu - Remos are from Iremo and Ilode Quarters in Ile Ife, the people of Ijebu Igbo are from Ita Otutu Quarters in Ile Ife. the Ilisan - Remo are from Ilode and Remo quarters. The Ago Iwoye people have affinity with the Ondos (Ebumalewe/Osemawe).

I would soon post some of the hell raised by Alaafin lamidi(he should be given the award of the Most Court loving kabiyesi), he has fought with the ooni, lam adesina, ladoja, akala, olubadan, alake(the Lawson iyalode saga), soun e.t.c I remember he also once raised dust cos akala gave him the same car gift with the soun of ogbomoso. so you yourself can decide who the trouble maker is.
Re: Alaafin Tackles Ooni On Yoruba History by aljharem(m): 4:09am On Dec 19, 2012
lol funny old men grin grin grin grin. + 10000 OAM4J
Re: Alaafin Tackles Ooni On Yoruba History by Katsumoto: 4:23am On Dec 19, 2012

You got jokes. grin grin grin grin

Do you know how many times the Brits saved Lagos from Egba and Ijebu forces? And Egba and Ijebu weren't even as fearsome as Oyo/Ogbomoso/Ibadan warriors. grin grin

1 Like

Re: Alaafin Tackles Ooni On Yoruba History by Katsumoto: 4:26am On Dec 19, 2012
Honestly,

The one problem I have with African chiefs is that they didn't consolidate power. If Oyo or Ibadan had continued with their expansion, the brits wouldn't have had it so easy. Oyo leaving so many vassal states resulted in those states becoming more powerful with time as Oyo's power waned. Instead of Oyo becoming a bigger state, its chiefs started fighting amongst themselves. Ibadan messed up by trying to fight everyone at the same time.

1 Like

Re: Alaafin Tackles Ooni On Yoruba History by aljharem(m): 4:34am On Dec 19, 2012
Katsumoto:

Do you know how many times the Brits saved Lagos from Egba and Ijebu forces? And Egba and Ijebu weren't even as fearsome as Oyo/Ogbomoso/Ibadan warriors. grin grin
angry angry angry angry ma je ka ja o ! . especially the Egbas owo people shocked shocked, omo i still dey fear. Those people are really feared by Aworis and Ogus. Ijebus are more on the intelligent side.
Re: Alaafin Tackles Ooni On Yoruba History by Nobody: 4:35am On Dec 19, 2012
Katsumoto:

grin grin. Thanks to olodumare for the British cannons.
I remember that some years ago, most Yoruba films were about ancient wars....nowadays, all we watch is sikiratu sindido and yomi fash lanso grin

1 Like

Re: Alaafin Tackles Ooni On Yoruba History by aljharem(m): 4:36am On Dec 19, 2012
Katsumoto: Honestly,

The one problem I have with African chiefs is that they didn't consolidate power. If Oyo or Ibadan had continued with their expansion, the brits wouldn't have had it so easy. Oyo leaving so many vassal states resulted in those states becoming more powerful with time as Oyo's power waned. Instead of Oyo becoming a bigger state, its chiefs started fighting amongst themselves. Ibadan messed up by trying to fight everyone at the same time.

Question

Were Ibadans trying to fight with the Oyos as well ? (just to confirm something)
Re: Alaafin Tackles Ooni On Yoruba History by Katsumoto: 4:45am On Dec 19, 2012
alj harem:

Question

Were Ibadans trying to fight with the Oyos as well ? (just to confirm something)

No. Oyo didn't really have a powerful army at that time.

Ibadan was fighting on several fronts:
Egba and Ijebu on one front
Ilorin/Ekiti/Ife at Offa
Ekiti/Ijesha/Ife at Kiriji

Modakeke were with Ibadan at Kiriji

Egba had another front with Dahomey and it also had its eyes on Lagos.

Lagos people were partying with Brits on the Island.

1 Like

Re: Alaafin Tackles Ooni On Yoruba History by birdman(m): 4:59am On Dec 19, 2012
Katsumoto: Honestly,

Its not that Oyo didnt try. And whenever they succeeded, the story was the same - they get arrogant and start treating other states like sh*t, so those states have to revolt. This happened over and over again. The British saw this, and used it as a wedge to divide states even further by playing favorites. Hell if the British came back today, the same strategy would work with the Ooni and Alaafin fight.

2 Likes

Re: Alaafin Tackles Ooni On Yoruba History by aljharem(m): 5:00am On Dec 19, 2012
Katsumoto:

Ilorin/Ekiti/Ife at Offa

thanks katz, I would do more research myself
Re: Alaafin Tackles Ooni On Yoruba History by Desola(f): 5:02am On Dec 19, 2012
Katsumoto:

Ilorin/Ekiti/Ife at Offa

Jaye-jaye lawa...

Eko for show!

Eko wenjele!

Eko aromi sa legbe, legbe.

cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Alaafin Tackles Ooni On Yoruba History by aljharem(m): 5:07am On Dec 19, 2012
I actually think it is best we discuss a topic more relevant than this Ooni and Alafin issue.

Do anyone know why Egbas decided to expand towards Dahomey westwards ?

1 Like

Re: Alaafin Tackles Ooni On Yoruba History by Katsumoto: 5:13am On Dec 19, 2012
birdman:

Its not that Oyo didnt try. And whenever they succeeded, the story was the same - they get arrogant and start treating other states like sh*t, so those states have to revolt. This happened over and over again. The British saw this, and used it as a wedge to divide states even further by playing favorites. Hell if the British came back today, the same strategy would work with the Ooni and Alaafin fight.

The problem wasn't that Oyo treated the other states like shit. The problem was the constant infighting. Oyo was sacked by Ilorin whose forces were made up of Solagberu's Yoruba Muslims from Oke Suna and Afonja's Yoruba armies mixed with Hausa slaves (Gobirawa). Ilorin could only sack Oyo after Lanloke laid siege to Oyo Ile. There were several powerful kings/chiefs who were no longer the influence of Oyo and who were all suspicious of the others. Some of there were Adegun (Onikoyi), Atiba (who would be Alaafin after fall of Oyo Ile), lanloke (Ogodo).

European conquerors were much meaner than Oyo yet they managed to avoid the sort of revolts Oyo suffered because they didn't have the infighting of Oyo.

1 Like

Re: Alaafin Tackles Ooni On Yoruba History by Katsumoto: 5:15am On Dec 19, 2012
alj harem: I actually think it is best we discuss a topic more relevant than this Ooni and Alafin issue.

Do anyone know why Egbas decided to expand towards Dahomey westwards ?

Egba had no interest in Dahomey. Dahomey was trying to expand into Egba towns but were checked several times. Egba was more interested in kicking the British out of Lagos but was distracted by Ibadan to the North and Dahomey to the West.
Re: Alaafin Tackles Ooni On Yoruba History by aljharem(m): 5:27am On Dec 19, 2012
Katsumoto:

Egba had no interest in Dahomey. Dahomey was trying to expand into Egba towns but were checked several times. Egba was more interested in kicking the British out of Lagos but was distracted by Ibadan to the North and Dahomey to the West.

I find that a bit confusing. I mean did Egba town get to cotonuo and co before dahomey conquered it.
Re: Alaafin Tackles Ooni On Yoruba History by Nobody: 5:43am On Dec 19, 2012
saxywale:

with regards to the Obanta, pls read the article below...

Thanks for article bro. - this is shymmex... OAM4J banned my other handle for no reason whatsoever... Yoruba history is so broad, I didn't even know that Ijebu people had so many clans - I thought we had just one ancestral link(which is Obanta)... Great stuff - I guess I have got to do more scholarships about Ijebus and Yoruba people in general...

Off topic:

I read somewhere that the name "Yoruba" was actually a derogatory Hausa word(Yarbawa) for Oyo people, and that the standard written Yoruba was actually done in Oyo dialect... Hence, why certain Yoruba clans(olukunmis and Itsekiris) don't consider themselves Yoruba because they migrated before we started bearing the name... And Oyo people are called: "Ara Oke" - meaning people of the highlands or hinterlands... Also, the Itsekiris don't refer to Yoruba people as Yoruba, but by the name of their towns e.g Owo = Irowo(ara owo), Ondo = Ir’ondo(ara ondo) etc.

How true is this??

Thanks in advance..
Re: Alaafin Tackles Ooni On Yoruba History by aribisala0(m): 11:55am On Dec 19, 2012
Dede1:
I am just waiting to die.I am tired of living
Re: Alaafin Tackles Ooni On Yoruba History by Dede1(m): 12:59pm On Dec 19, 2012
aribisala0:
I am just waiting to die. I am tired of living.

What a fool. You forgot suicide is a valid option, olodo.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

We Will Manage Jonathan Till 2015; Joe Igbokwe / Court Stops PDP From Dissolving Its Kano Executives. / Bandits Inform Adamawa Community Of Impending Attack, Demand N30million Upfront

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.