Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,829 members, 7,810,189 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:51 PM

Does Intelligence Increase Atheism? - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Does Intelligence Increase Atheism? (1985 Views)

Atheism Is Frustrating. / My Atheism And Its Effect On My Mum! / What Role Does Intelligence Play In Religion. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Does Intelligence Increase Atheism? by plaetton: 2:19pm On Dec 20, 2012
manmustwac: I don't think that intelligence has anything to do with atheism. I believe its boils down to how open minded the individual is.

But there is a straight line correlation between IQ and religiousity. High IQ individuals tend to be indifferent to religion, Agnostic or Atheists.

I doubt if you can find any MENSA members carrying a bible or any holy book.

Afterall, what is intelligence?.
I think it is about being able think beyond what is presented to you.
You can see the level of a child's intelligence by noting how curious, observant and skeptical that child is.
Re: Does Intelligence Increase Atheism? by Image123(m): 9:02pm On Dec 20, 2012
The fear of God remains the beginning of wisdom. oh sorry, wisdom is not intelligence.
Re: Does Intelligence Increase Atheism? by Nobody: 9:17pm On Dec 20, 2012
Image123: The fear of God remains the beginning of wisdom. oh sorry, wisdom is not intelligence.

The fear of God is not the beginning of wisdom.

You should have learnt that quoting the old testament as truth is erroneous.
Re: Does Intelligence Increase Atheism? by Image123(m): 9:27pm On Dec 20, 2012
Logicboy03:

The fear of God is not the beginning of wisdom.

You should have learnt that quoting the old testament as truth is erroneous.
where did you learn this useless information?
Re: Does Intelligence Increase Atheism? by Nobody: 9:35pm On Dec 20, 2012
Image123:
where did you learn this useless information?

We can start quoting the old testament

1)The atheist lie;
Psalm 14:1
King James Version (KJV)
14 The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.

2)Brotherly love of thy brothers wife?
Deuteronomy 25:5-9
King James Version (KJV)
5 If brethren dwell together, and one of them die, and have no child, the wife of the dead shall not marry without unto a stranger: her husband's brother shall go in unto her, and take her to him to wife, and perform the duty of an husband's brother unto her
Re: Does Intelligence Increase Atheism? by Image123(m): 9:42pm On Dec 20, 2012
what is wrong with the verses you quoted, and how do they disqualfy every old testament verse? two questions.
Re: Does Intelligence Increase Atheism? by Nobody: 9:47pm On Dec 20, 2012
Image123: what is wrong with the verses you quoted, and how do they disqualfy every old testament verse? two questions.

Yes, you'd f4ck your brother's wife if he dies abi?

Mtchew.

Or do you believe that all atheists are fools? Is Seun a fool? Bill Gates? Dawkins?
Re: Does Intelligence Increase Atheism? by Image123(m): 10:15pm On Dec 20, 2012
Logicboy03:

Yes, you'd f4ck your brother's wife if he dies abi?

Mtchew.

Or do you believe that all atheists are fools? Is Seun a fool? Bill Gates? Dawkins?
I'm for one wife, and i believe that anyone who thinks there is no God is a fool. You seem to lack retentive memory, or are you not supposed to be one of the 'intelligent atheists' in your charts and graphs?
Re: Does Intelligence Increase Atheism? by Nobody: 11:33pm On Dec 20, 2012
Image123:
I'm for one wife, and i believe that anyone who thinks there is no God is a fool. You seem to lack retentive memory, or are you not supposed to be one of the 'intelligent atheists' in your charts and graphs?

What are you then doing on a fool's website, discussing on a topic about fools with a fool?

You are gaddem foolish
Re: Does Intelligence Increase Atheism? by Image123(m): 1:13am On Dec 21, 2012
Logicboy03:

What are you then doing on a fool's website, discussing on a topic about fools with a fool?

You are gaddem foolish
i don't discriminate, don't you think? Would you spend a fool's money? Wisdom, intelligence and folly are not limited to academics, its rounded. Your folly is rounded. Its like what they call cgpa. The spiritual carries the most points and units. You have a fail cgpa if you fail the spiritual. Its what mr. Jesus was saying when He rhetorically said "what will it profit a man if he gained the whole world and lost his soul".
You as a fool who doesnt believe God needs me, or people like me. That's why we're discussing.
Re: Does Intelligence Increase Atheism? by Nobody: 1:40am On Dec 21, 2012
Image123:
i don't discriminate, don't you think? Would you spend a fool's money? Wisdom, intelligence and folly are not limited to academics, its rounded. Your folly is rounded. Its like what they call cgpa. The spiritual carries the most points and units. You have a fail cgpa if you fail the spiritual. Its what mr. Jesus was saying when He rhetorically said "what will it profit a man if he gained the whole world and lost his soul".
You as a fool who doesnt believe God needs me, or people like me. That's why we're discussing.

Wow, that was a whole new level of spiritual retardeen grin
Re: Does Intelligence Increase Atheism? by Nobody: 11:53am On Mar 14, 2013
Wow, I really debunked Image123 hard grin
Re: Does Intelligence Increase Atheism? by ooman(m): 12:03pm On Mar 14, 2013
advocate666:

Intelligent christian is an oxymoron.

Exactly. The more religious people are, the less intelligent and the more intelligent people are, the less religious.
Re: Does Intelligence Increase Atheism? by Image123(m): 12:04am On Mar 15, 2013
Logicboy03: Wow, I really debunked Image123 hard grin
here comes a dreamer.
Re: Does Intelligence Increase Atheism? by truthislight: 9:35am On Mar 15, 2013
advocate666:

where is this guy self?

Is he still ok?

I once saw a deleted thread saying he is dead or so. is it true or FALSE?

On topic, pride and trusting on ones self makes one proud and not to "keep on asking".

No Matter how wise a fish inside water is, it will never understand how and why human live outside water without dying.

Think about that ^
Re: Does Intelligence Increase Atheism? by OmoAlata(f): 9:39am On Mar 15, 2013
advocate666:

Dr D K Olukoya has a PhD in Molecular Genetics wink Just saying wink
Re: Does Intelligence Increase Atheism? by truthislight: 9:56am On Mar 15, 2013
Logicboy03:

Or do you believe that all atheists are fools? Is Seun a fool?

Just curious.

When did Seun became an atheist?

Befor owning NL or after owning NL?
Thanks.
Re: Does Intelligence Increase Atheism? by UyiIredia(m): 10:08am On Mar 15, 2013
advocate666:

It is.

It isn't.
Re: Does Intelligence Increase Atheism? by ooman(m): 10:56am On Mar 15, 2013
Omo Alata:

Dr D K Olukoya has a PhD in Molecular Genetics wink Just saying wink

PhD is not synonymous with intelligence. PhDs are cheap this days.
Re: Does Intelligence Increase Atheism? by Nkeon: 1:31pm On Mar 15, 2013
No I don't think that is does in the general sense of intelligence. The people you have mentioned are mainly related to science so perhaps there is a correlation between people growing in scientific knowledge and doubting the existence of a personal God but there are also examples of scientists that are growing in knowledge and still very much believe in God such as John Lennox.

Also consider people like Martin Luther King and Gandhi. They were both intelligent men (though I'm not keen in Gandhi's take on complete pacifism) not in terms of science but in terms of peace and equality and how to establish equal rights. C. S. Lewis was a brilliant writer, very creative and skilled. All of these people believed in some sort of God. This is why I think it is better to avoid such generalisations. Intelligence can be measured in many different ways. Many atheists though not believers in Jesus as the son of God view him as an intelligent man with ideas about humanity that were ahead of his time i.e. loving thy neighbour, challenging the authority of high priests and hierarchy.

So in relation to science, yes you probably do have a strong case but in regards to intelligence in general I don't think there is any link.

(1) (2) (Reply)

He Nearly Killed Someone Because His Pastor Was Called A Devil!!! / Why Are Nigerians Quick To Blame Witches For Their Misfortune & Backwardness. / DIVINE Favour!...great Testimonies.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.