Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,521 members, 7,861,511 topics. Date: Saturday, 15 June 2024 at 01:30 PM

Abortion Bill? - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Abortion Bill? (1954 Views)

Relax Abortion Laws For B’haram Victims, UN Urges FG / United Nations Population Funds (UNFPA) Suggests Abortion For Boko Haram Babies / Okorocha, Catholic Doctors At War Over Abortion Law (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Abortion Bill? by Nobody: 7:46pm On Feb 20, 2008
i guess oppressed people can enjoy the benefits of good roads right?? this is a bill that can be passed easily at little cost to the national assemly

Of course oppressed people can enjoy the benefits of goods roads, a woman on her way to an abortion would not have a fatal accident due to bad roads before she reaches the hospital. The Roe Vs Wade ruling wasn't even "passed easily" in the US and you expect no less in Nigeria, lol. Are you trying to tell me that the number of people who die of abortions skyrockets the number of deaths due to bad roads? Good roads first before any abortion bill tongue cheesy
Re: Abortion Bill? by Kobojunkie: 7:51pm On Feb 20, 2008
stillwater:

Of course oppressed people can enjoy the benefits of goods roads, a woman on her way to an abortion would not have a fatal accident due to bad roads before she reaches the hospital. The Roe Vs Wade ruling wasn't even "passed easily" in the US and you expect no less in Nigeria, lol. Are you trying to tell me that the number of people who die of abortions skyrockets the number of deaths due to bad roads? Good roads first before any abortion bill tongue cheesy

LMAO!!!! good one!!!
Re: Abortion Bill? by HottFunmi: 12:18am On Feb 21, 2008
Of course oppressed people can enjoy the benefits of goods roads, a woman on her way to an abortion would not have a fatal accident due to bad roads before she reaches the hospital. The Roe Vs Wade ruling wasn't even "passed easily" in the US and you expect no less in Nigeria, lol. Are you trying to tell me that the number of people who die of abortions skyrockets the number of deaths due to bad roads? Good roads first before any abortion bill

smiley smiley
Re: Abortion Bill? by bawomolo(m): 1:27am On Feb 21, 2008
a woman on her way to an abortion would not have a fatal accident due to bad roads before she reaches the hospital

what happens if there is no hospital properly licensed to perform an abortion??

The Roe Vs Wade ruling wasn't even "passed easily" in the US and you expect no less in Nigeria, lol.

pardon me for having high expections for women's rights in a third world country.

. Are you trying to tell me that the number of people who die of abortions skyrockets the number of deaths due to bad roads?

the rights of minorities should be protected regardless of their relevance.

Good roads first before any abortion bill

the last time i checked the house committee on women's right is different from the house committe on transportation. maybe u should send a letter to ur house representative if u are concerned about roads. these women are pushing a bill while u are doing nothing but whine about bad roads. the men/women of the national assembly are paid huge amounts to handle multiple bills at once. nigeria is a sad country if it has to handle issues one at a time. the next thing we know, a child labor bill would have to wait right
Re: Abortion Bill? by HottFunmi: 6:07pm On Feb 21, 2008
By bawomolo,
the last time i checked the house committee on women's right is different from the house committe on transportation. maybe u should send a letter to your house representative if u are concerned about roads. these women are pushing a bill while u are doing nothing but whine about bad roads. the men/women of the national assembly are paid huge amounts to handle multiple bills at once. nigeria is a sad country if it has to handle issues one at a time. the next thing we know, a child labor bill would have to wait right

Child labour to me is even more important that any other thing in Naija but it may never work because of poverty.
Re: Abortion Bill? by bawomolo(m): 6:23pm On Feb 21, 2008
Child labour to me is even more important that any other thing in Naija but it may never work because of poverty.

of course, the same thing was said about slavery in the US. slavery can never be abolished because we need them "niggers" in the field. poverty shouldn't be an excuse for abuse.
Re: Abortion Bill? by presido1: 6:31pm On Feb 21, 2008
@Nuzo
Thanks you noticed what Kobojunkie is, i have told him that b4.
Dayokanu aked him a question he keep on beating around the bush.
Re: Abortion Bill? by HottFunmi: 6:55pm On Feb 21, 2008
of course, the same thing was said about slavery in the US. slavery can never be abolished because we need them "niggers" in the field. poverty shouldn't be an excuse for abuse.

You are right.
Re: Abortion Bill? by Kobojunkie: 6:58pm On Feb 21, 2008
1) But Slavery has not been abolished in Nigeria yet.

2) US was not screaming for abortion rights while they had slavery on the hand to deal with.

3) Women are still considered property in many places in the same country so they do not even have basic human rights at all.

4) People still have their bodies mutilated in parts of the country still,  don't people need to deal with the very basics before they turn to focus on the other things IF the need really exists for such

5) Government still does not cater much to the basic needs of the people, should we not deal with the basics, and THEN tackle other things WHEN we get we need to be to tackle those
Re: Abortion Bill? by bawomolo(m): 7:13pm On Feb 21, 2008
Government still does not cater much to the basic needs of the people, should we not deal with the basics, and THEN tackle other things WHEN we get we need to be to tackle those

granting human rights seems basic to me. issues like slavery, child labor etc need to be addressed immediately.
Re: Abortion Bill? by Kobojunkie: 7:14pm On Feb 21, 2008
bawomolo:

Government still does not cater much to the basic needs of the people, should we not deal with the basics, and THEN tackle other things WHEN we get we need to be to tackle those

granting human rights seems basic to me. issues like slavery, child labor etc need to be addressed immediately.

LMAO!!!
Re: Abortion Bill? by Nobody: 7:19pm On Feb 21, 2008
granting human rights seems basic to me.  issues like slavery, child labor etc need to be addressed immediately.

If government provide the three basic amenities of life food, clothing and shelter these issues would definitely be on the decline. Poverty might not be an excuse but have you tasted real poverty? Do you think parents are joyful seeing their children as common house girls and boys?
Re: Abortion Bill? by Kobojunkie: 7:21pm On Feb 21, 2008
Imagine hungry mothers like those you see in those horrible Ethiopian Live Aids videos screaming for Abortion rights Or better still the woman who is not even able to afford medicine to treat herself crying for abortion rights. LMAO!!!!
There is something called priority, I think we should start to get our priorities straight with regards to human rights in Nigeria. We are no where near where america is when it comes to human rights so trying to demand we do what america is doing is just plain ridiculous. We have tons more issues with AIDS as an issue than we do this. We have Slavery issues to deal with and it is happening right there in front of our eyes daily.
Re: Abortion Bill? by bawomolo(m): 9:22pm On Feb 21, 2008

If government provide the three basic amenities of life food, clothing and shelter these issues would definitely be on the decline

umm what does the committee on women affairs have to do with life food, clothing and shelter?? aren't there separate welfare agencies for that. maybe those guys should take the initiative like those women have done.

Poverty might not be an excuse but have you tasted real poverty?

no, why would i want to??

Do you think parents are joyful seeing their children as common house girls and boys?

no they aren't, and that's why the rights of these kids should be protected. there's a reason the US put a stop to children working in coal mines. i don't see why we have to relegate one issue for another. they are all important in my opinion.

Or better still the woman who is not even able to afford medicine to treat herself crying for abortion rights.

those are INDIVIDUAL decisions. the government addresses the needs of everyone including minorites(the ones that want safe abortions). i think it's safe to say that ethiopia is a different case from nigeria.

There is something called priority

the priority of the ministry of women affairs isn't the same as the priority of the ministry of agriculture or health care. maybe we should hold those ministries liable for their duties rather than detest these women fighting for their rights.

We are no where near where america is when it comes to human rights so trying to demand we do what america is doing is just plain ridiculous.

just like america, we have to start from somewhere. it wasn't so long ago that women didn't have the right to vote in the US.

We have tons more issues with AIDS as an issue than we do this. We have Slavery issues to deal with and it is happening right there in front of our eyes daily.

true and all these issues should be dealt with at ONCE rather than put on the backburner.
Re: Abortion Bill? by Nobody: 10:31pm On Feb 21, 2008
umm what does the committee on women affairs have to do with life food, clothing and shelter?? aren't there separate welfare agencies for that. maybe those guys should take the initiative like those women have done.

They have everything to do with it, Mr. Man. Are they not there to see to the affairs of women? Or do the committee of women affairs have it written on paper we do abortion bill only?

no, why would i want to??

No wonder abortion is of tantamount interest to you. Ask a Nigerian woman that hawks on the street selling agege bread if passing an abortion bill is of great importance to her.

no they aren't, and that's why the rights of these kids should be protected. there's a reason the US put a stop to children working in coal mines. i don't see why we have to relegate one issue for another. they are all important in my opinion.

The US that stopped children from working in coal mines also came up with programs like head Start and block grants.
Re: Abortion Bill? by bawomolo(m): 2:56am On Feb 22, 2008
They have everything to do with it, Mr. Man. Are they not there to see to the affairs of women? Or do the committee of women affairs have it written on paper we do abortion bill only?

who said the committee of women affairs only deals with the abortion bill?

No wonder abortion is of tantamount interest to you. Ask a Nigerian woman that hawks on the street selling agege bread if passing an abortion bill is of great importance to her.

who knows what she would say. an abortion bill is of importance to lots of people that are against the horrors of illegal abortions clinics and support a woman's right to choose. since when did an hawker decide nigeria's domestic policy??

The US that stopped children from working in coal mines also came up with programs like head Start and block grants.

great now maybe u could send a message to ur state representative about these grants. i bet these women would back this idea 2.
Re: Abortion Bill? by Kobojunkie: 2:59am On Feb 22, 2008
bawomolo:

who said the committee of women affairs only deals with the abortion bill?

who knows what she would say. an abortion bill is of importance to lots of people that are against the horrors of illegal abortions clinics and support a woman's right to choose. since when did an hawker decide nigeria's domestic policy??

great now maybe u could send a message to your state representative about these grants. i bet these women would back this idea 2.

I am not sure you know much about what Nigerian women think of cause the average woman in Nigeria not thinking Abortion and the abortion clinic down the street. Infact, even those who do have abortions are mostly not ready to have anyone know they do such let alone sit down to discuss abortion issues with you. Like I mentioned earlier, Nigerians are more involved in dealing with greater issues in their lives than abortions and issues that concern abortions. Even women in Nigeria who have abortions would not want to sit down to talk about it with you for an interview even. Not cause it is illegal or anything but cause there are so many other complicated issues to be dealt with first in that country. Crying human rights when the topic of abortion is brought up in a country where no one has basic human rights is trying to put the carriage in front of the horse and assuming the carriage is of great important. The horse can ride without the carriage but if the horse is sick, what do you need the carriage for??
Re: Abortion Bill? by bawomolo(m): 3:04am On Feb 22, 2008
u make a good point. the issue is one of secrecy due to conservatism in naija.
Re: Abortion Bill? by Kobojunkie: 3:07am On Feb 22, 2008
bawomolo:

u make a good point. the issue is one of secrecy due to conservatism in naija.

Secrecy that many of those who are involved would rather it be kept that way. If you have not noticed yet, not a lot of the ladies on this thread have come in here to say it is a good idea. Infact, the ladies have said over and over that there are more important issues. I doubt many women in Nigeria would even step out to say they are for abortions, I doubt they will be stoned if they say so but to them it is not for broadcast and they would rather it remain that way of their own choice. Even the "enlightened" bunch who live on campuses and date old men and the many women in the prostitution trade would rather discuss other issues than how many abortions or how good their abortion service is.
Re: Abortion Bill? by HottFunmi: 5:15am On Feb 22, 2008
By KoboJunkie,
I am not sure you know much about what Nigerian women think of cause the average woman in Nigeria not thinking Abortion and the abortion clinic down the street. Infact, even those who do have abortions are mostly not ready to have anyone know they do such let alone sit down to discuss abortion issues with you. Like I mentioned earlier, Nigerians are more involved in dealing with greater issues in their lives than abortions and issues that concern abortions. Even women in Nigeria who have abortions would not want to sit down to talk about it with you for an interview even. Not cause it is illegal or anything but cause there are so many other complicated issues to be dealt with first in that country. Crying human rights when the topic of abortion is brought up in a country where no one has basic human rights is trying to put the carriage in front of the horse and assuming the carriage is of great important. The horse can ride without the carriage but if the horse is sick, what do you need the carriage for??

True but shall we cross our legs and wait on our women to get cormfortable about discusssing their sex issues like rape before we lend them a hand? Abortion may be at the bottom of the list for an avg Naija woman but there is no harm in adressing the issues of dangers associated with quacks. I don't subscribe to abortions, but I think the govt should vote in more money towards child welfare, open a department for child protection and provide a way to sustain motherless children much better than they do now.
Re: Abortion Bill? by Kobojunkie: 5:53am On Feb 22, 2008
HottFunmi:

True but shall we cross our legs and wait on our women to get cormfortable about discusssing their sex issues like rape before we lend them a hand? Abortion may be at the bottom of the list for an avg Naija woman but there is no harm in adressing the issues of dangers associated with quacks. I don't subscribe to abortions, but I think the govt should vote in more money towards child welfare, open a department for child protection and provide a way to sustain motherless children much better than they do now.

I don't think African women want to sit down with you to discuss sex at all. They do not even open up to their gynaecologists even on sex issues they have. We are talking of Nigeria here, not the western world. If you go to places like Japan or even China, it is not like sex and these issues are discussed out in the open as it is in most of the western world.

We should not mistake Nigerian women and all things that pertain to them , as being exactly like their western counterparts. Majority of women in Nigeria will rather lie to you than tell you that they had an abortion. Even the non religious women in Nigeria will rather lie than tell you they do not like sex. Even when they are together, to throw a number out there, less than 4% of women in Nigeria actually talk about their sex life or feelings with their close friends. We know the number is way higher in the western world. I do not believe it is a bad thing or due to some issue but I do believe it is just that these are people from different areas and different ideologies and so what works for A may not necessarily be for B and we should not then push on B what A is still trying to deal with cause we feel B must be able to accept it since A initially did and what not.

This same government is yet to deal with the welfare of it's people and does not even care much for the fact that it's citizens are being amputated in the north as we speak. I think there are pipe dreams and there is reality. There are as we speak women in that country who are dripping urine and faeces everywhere they go and the government has yet to deal with that issue at all. We have more organizations coming in to help those than we have actually government agencies that are out there daily trying to get them needed attention. Government has voted more money for child welfare and we are yet to see that money change things. I mean when it comes to child welfare, that happens to be one of the many piles where money goes in and not much comes out in that country. I say we focus on dealing with the big picture as much as we can, get things working better before we go off expecting more from the government. Infact, I do not like the idea of waiting on government to do anything in that country cause anyone knows chances are government will not get to it.
Re: Abortion Bill? by texazzpete(m): 8:04am On Feb 22, 2008
@Kobojunkie
I've had and still have great respect for you (or at least your online persona), but even you must see your position is tending towards hypocrisy.

On the naira spraying case you opined that 'How i treat my hard earned money is my business'
When it comes to abortion you take the religious high ground and forsake any human rights leanings.

Why?

I do not believe in abortion. But i cannot force my religion on others. IF many women are dying yearly due to quack abortion doctors, perhaps legalized abortion may save lives?
Re: Abortion Bill? by Kobojunkie: 4:58pm On Feb 22, 2008
texazzpete:

@Kobojunkie
I've had and still have great respect for you (or at least your online persona), but even you must see your position is tending towards hypocrisy.

On the naira spraying case you opined that 'How i treat my hard earned money is my business'
When it comes to abortion you take the religious high ground and forsake any human rights leanings.

Why?

I do not believe in abortion. But i cannot force my religion on others. IF many women are dying yearly due to quack abortion doctors, perhaps legalized abortion may save lives?

I really think you people should learn the meaning of the word HYPOCRISY before you throw it around anyhow. Does my standing on my religious belief in this case mean I am a hypocrite?? If a woman personally chooses to go for an abortion, that is her own business and not mine. But Why should I VOTE to have the law allow her go for an abortion when it is not 1) Legal now and 2) Not part of what I belief?? Here in America, I know tons of people who are not religious who vote against Abortion even. I have a close friend who happens to be an atheist and a biochemistry professor in school here who believes abortion is murder. Why can I not make the same choice without being labelled a hypocrite?? Do you have issues or something with someone else having the right to free vote in democracy?? So what if a person wants an abortion does that mean it is mandatory for me to support such?? On the issue as is, I do not have a problem with it. If a woman chooses that route, I would think she would be willing to at least be willing to deal with the consequence of her action as well. Simple!!! Do I have to support her when I have rights as a human being?? NO. Do I have make it legal cause some of them die from it?? To you that may be the solution, to me that has nothing to do with solving the problem.
If you have reasoned in your mind that making it legal and what not is the solution, do I have to buy into that same mindset

In the case of spraying money, it has never been illegal for people to spray, now it suddenly is. And When people spray money, they do no harm to another other people but infact boost the economy in the fact that spraying is actually them spending their hard earned money. My Religion is not against Spraying. My belief is not against Spraying. I am not acting falsely when I say spraying is not evil. Why in the world do you folks come in here to throw around claims that are baseless just cause a person does not take the side that you do on debates??

[size=14pt]hy·poc·ri·sy (h-pkr-s)
n. pl. hy·poc·ri·sies
1. The practice of professing beliefs, feelings, or virtues that one does not hold or possess; falseness.
2. An act or instance of such falseness.[/size]

Please, let us act like logical and decent people and not hooligans and hoodlums with issues when it comes to being opposed in here. Stop this need to attack people you have never met just cause they do not stand with you on the issues posted in here and focus on posting your ideas. Period. On the last one, you went ahead and made some very false statements about me and I corrected you, now you feel it is your place to label me and my belief system which you do not know much of?? GREAT!!!

Another very big thing I believe I have a problem with is the way people run to want new laws made without demanding already existing laws first be enforced. Does making new laws make our problems in that country go away?? I doubt it cause in the past 20 years alone we have had governments come and go, make new laws and what good has it done us since then

(1) (2) (Reply)

Why We Suspended Egbetoku, Others By Ogun New Speaker / Killer Oranges In Nigeria ??! Boko Haram Or ....... / Some Kidnappings In Lagos This Month

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.