Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,098 members, 7,863,845 topics. Date: Tuesday, 18 June 2024 at 07:43 AM

Igbo Names & Their Meanings - Culture (21) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Igbo Names & Their Meanings (470276 Views)

Nigeria Pidgin Proverbs & Their Meanings / Traditional Yoruba Names And Their Meanings / Nigerian Pidgin English And Their Meanings (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) ... (27) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Igbo Names & Their Meanings by NRIPRIEST(m): 9:12pm On Jan 24, 2012
odumchi:

I asked someone for the translation since I didn't know it. I was told that Amarinze is the long form of Arinze. But thanks for clearing that up.

So what then is Amalinze?

Odumchi nwanne, I got you, Amalinze is more like a spoken word but it can also stand as a name by itself; There are two words in that name: 1, "amali" which means "to be recognized" and 2,"nze" which is an OZO title young man. So the closest translation I can come up with is: a recognized/famous young OZO titled man. Hope this helps.
Re: Igbo Names & Their Meanings by ChinenyeN(m): 10:14pm On Jan 24, 2012
Please, any help with these names would be greatly appreciated.

Adivo
Iwenbo
Olunjia
Ngwahu

grin grin
Re: Igbo Names & Their Meanings by odumchi: 1:31am On Jan 25, 2012
Oh ok thanks.

NRI PRIEST:

Odumchi nwanne, I got you, Amalinze is more like a spoken word but it can also stand as a name by itself; There are two words in that name: 1, "amali" which means "to be recognized" and 2,"nze" which is an OZO title young man. So the closest translation I can come up with is: a recognized/famous young OZO titled man. Hope this helps.

@ Chinenye

Let me guess, those are Ngwa names?
Re: Igbo Names & Their Meanings by ChinenyeN(m): 3:58am On Jan 25, 2012
odumchi:

@ Chinenye
Let me guess, those are Ngwa names?
Have you heard them before? Do you know what they might mean?
Re: Igbo Names & Their Meanings by nedu210(m): 8:17am On Jan 25, 2012
ChinenyeN:

Adivo
Iwenbo
Olunjia
Ngwahu

grin grin
  i will appreciate, if u write it in izugbe then the translation will not be that hard. I guess ADIVO is abbreviated, but the izugbe will be helpful.
Re: Igbo Names & Their Meanings by odumchi: 1:32pm On Jan 25, 2012
ChinenyeN:

Have you heard them before? Do you know what they might mean?

No I don't. This is my first time seeing or hearing such names.
Re: Igbo Names & Their Meanings by ChinenyeN(m): 7:47pm On Jan 25, 2012
odumchi:
No I don't. This is my first time seeing or hearing such names.
grin I knew you wouldn't, especially considering that Ngwa people have since been going around naming their children Igbo/non-Ngwa names such as Chinenye, Ifeoma, Oluchi, Chukwudi, Uchenna, Emeka, etc. Proper Ngwa names have essentially (though not completely) died with our great grandparents.

nedu210:
i will appreciate, if u write it in izugbe then the translation will not be that hard. I guess ADIVO is abbreviated, but the izugbe will be helpful.
These aren't Izugbe names, but that's beside the point. I don't actually speak Izugbe, so I can't 'Izugbe-nize' them. . and Adivo is the full name.
Re: Igbo Names & Their Meanings by Nobody: 12:47am On Jan 26, 2012
ChinenyeN:

grin I knew you wouldn't, especially considering that Ngwa people have since been going around naming their children Igbo/non-Ngwa names such as Chinenye, Ifeoma, Oluchi, Chukwudi, Uchenna, Emeka, etc. Proper Ngwa names have essentially (though not completely) died with our great grandparents.
These aren't Izugbe names, but that's beside the point. I don't actually speak Izugbe, so I can't 'Izugbe-nize' them. . and Adivo is the full name.

ChinenyeN:

Adivo
Iwenbo
Olunjia
Ngwahu

grin grin

I'm familiar with the one in bold. (i think it means body ornaments). I'll have to test my mum's knowledge on the others. She has an Ohuhu name btw grin

I never knew we had these much Ngwa names. Ohuhus have really influenced us to the extent of wiping out our precious culture!

My grandmother was an expert in pure Ngwa names, unfortunately she passed away before I could learn them from her.

ChinenyeN, can you list more you know, I need to archive them somewhere for Ngwa parents to use/revive. Hopefully, someday, we'll also know their meanings.
Re: Igbo Names & Their Meanings by ChinenyeN(m): 4:59am On Jan 26, 2012
Mbatuku, you got it right. Ngwahu is bodily adornment/ornament, and it is a female name. It is one of the very few proper names that has survived to our generation. As for the other three, I feel I should say that I wasn't actually serious about coming here for help. I was just trying to have fun with the topic, since I already know the meanings of those names.

For instance, Iwenbo is a different form (most likely a nickname/slang form) of the more standard/common Wanboiwe (or, Nwanboiwe, if you have a more "Igbo"/"standard Igbo" mindset), which means 'child abates vexation' or 'a child mitigates anger'. I suspect it can be either male or female; don't really know.

Olunjia means 'beauty that holds the gaze', and it is a female name.
The actual general Ngwa form of the name is Olujie, while Olunjia is the dialectal form in my part of Ngwa.

Adivo [Adivno] means 'false accusations are being raised [against me]', and it is a male name.

Out of these four names, Ngwahu is the only one you are likely to ever see someone bearing, in our generation. Adivo and Olujie are long-since dead and practically forgotten, and Wanboiwe exists in memory. In fact, by the time we have our own grandchildren, Wanboiwe would probably have died its final death.

Anyway, I wasn't trying to get serious with this topic. I was just trying to have fun with "Igbo names".

1 Like

Re: Igbo Names & Their Meanings by ifyalways(f): 7:08am On Jan 26, 2012
Amarinze as a short form of "Arinze" ?
What happened to "Arinzechukwu" ?
I think if a name as Amarinze do exist,its completely different from ArinzeChukwu.1

@Chinenye,ga nojuo odu.Are those letters of words even Igbo?LOL
Re: Igbo Names & Their Meanings by Nobody: 7:29am On Jan 26, 2012
ChinenyeN:

Mbatuku, you got it right. Ngwahu is bodily adornment/ornament, and it is a female name. It is one of the very few proper names that has survived to our generation. As for the other three, I feel I should say that I wasn't actually serious about coming here for help. I was just trying to have fun with the topic, since I already know the meanings of those names.

For instance, Iwenbo is a different form (most likely a nickname/slang form) of the more standard/common Wanboiwe (or, Nwanboiwe, if you have a more "Igbo"/"standard Igbo" mindset), which means 'child abates vexation' or 'a child mitigates anger'. I suspect it can be either male or female; don't really know.

Olunjia means 'beauty that holds the gaze', and it is a female name.
The actual general Ngwa form of the name is Olujie, while Olunjia is the dialectal form in my part of Ngwa.

Adivo [Adivno] means 'false accusations are being raised [against me]', and it is a male name.

Out of these four names, Ngwahu is the only one you are likely to ever see someone bearing, in our generation. Adivo and Olujie are long-since dead and practically forgotten, and Wanboiwe exists in memory. In fact, by the time we have our own grandchildren, Wanboiwe would probably have died its final death.

Anyway, I wasn't trying to get serious with this topic. I was just trying to have fun with "Igbo names".

Very true. With the increased exposure with foreign culture and the political jargon called 'igbo' that has been imposed on many of our people, it's a fait accompli that those names will die a natural death, except something drastic is done to change the trend.

Is 'metule' a very common name for boys in your area? Or do you have a variation of it in your own dialect of Ngwa?
Re: Igbo Names & Their Meanings by ChinenyeN(m): 7:46am On Jan 26, 2012
ifyalways:

@Chinenye,ga nojuo odu.Are those letters of words even Igbo?LOL
grin lol

mbatuku2:

Is 'metule' a very common name for boys in your area? Or do you have a variation of it in your own dialect of Ngwa?
I've heard Metula before, but I'll have to be honest, I have no idea what it means, and to the best of my knowledge, the two [Metule/Metula] are far from common.
Re: Igbo Names & Their Meanings by ChinenyeN(m): 8:07am On Jan 26, 2012
And I wouldn't say "imposed". Rather, it's actually something our people just grew to accept, particularly in the wake and aftermath of the Biafran war. Before that time, our disposition was like that of Etche. Our official stance was that we are/were a distinct people, but at the same time we didn't really disclaim or kick against 'Igbo'. We were more or less neutral to it, basically meaning we were particularly Ngwa-conscious, though not really minding the 'Igbo'. Those days are gone now, for the most part. Although, lately, it seems that the old sentiment and consciousness is beginning to reawaken, to some extent.
Re: Igbo Names & Their Meanings by Nobody: 8:42am On Jan 26, 2012
ChinenyeN:

I've heard Metula before, but I'll have to be honest, I have no idea what it means, and to the best of my knowledge, the two [Metule/Metula] are far from common.

It's possible the two are the same. I think it probably means 'taste and see' or 'dont do wrong'.

Thanks anyway .
Re: Igbo Names & Their Meanings by Nobody: 8:46am On Jan 26, 2012
ChinenyeN:

And I wouldn't say "imposed". Rather, it's actually something our people just grew to accept, particularly in the wake and aftermath of the Biafran war. Before that time, our disposition was like that of Etche. Our official stance was that we are/were a distinct people, but at the same time we didn't really disclaim or kick against 'Igbo'. We were more or less neutral to it, basically meaning we were particularly Ngwa-conscious, though not really minding the 'Igbo'. Those days are gone now, for the most part. Although, lately, it seems that the old sentiment and consciousness is beginning to reawaken, to some extent.

My point is not being necessarily igbo.
Re: Igbo Names & Their Meanings by ChinenyeN(m): 1:44pm On Jan 26, 2012
mbatuku2:

My point is not being necessarily igbo.
Oh okay.

mbatuku2:

[b]It's possible the two are the same. [/b]I think it probably means 'taste and see' or 'dont do wrong'.
Thanks anyway .
They probably are, since I know in my part of Ngwa we sometimes have a tendency to "a" the "e".
Re: Igbo Names & Their Meanings by Nobody: 2:08pm On Jan 26, 2012
Well, I need to exit at this point before they accuse me of running their thread like a lovepeddler.
Re: Igbo Names & Their Meanings by Valon4ego(m): 1:40pm On Jan 28, 2012
Please can someone give me the english form of Arinze.thanks
Re: Igbo Names & Their Meanings by ifyalways(f): 10:40am On Jan 31, 2012
^translating that name can be tricky as the meaning bordes on 2 things concurrently.

It could be "if not for God/ this happened because of Gods love" or/and "we give praises to God"

I'd pick the first anyway.
Re: Igbo Names & Their Meanings by 3RNEST(m): 4:38pm On Mar 12, 2012
Can someone tell the meaning of "Anele" ?
Re: Igbo Names & Their Meanings by ifyalways(f): 7:44pm On Mar 13, 2012
^Uzor,Anele is the short form of 'Anaelechukwu" and it means "looking unto God"
Re: Igbo Names & Their Meanings by Kojiek: 10:07pm On Mar 13, 2012
mbatuku2:

I'm familiar with the one in bold. (i think it means body ornaments). I'll have to test my mum's knowledge on the others. She has an Ohuhu name btw grin

I never knew we had these much Ngwa names. Ohuhus have really influenced us to the extent of wiping out our precious culture!

My grandmother was an expert in pure Ngwa names, unfortunately she passed away before I could learn them from her.

ChinenyeN, can you list more you know, I need to archive them somewhere for Ngwa parents to use/revive. Hopefully, someday, we'll also know their meanings.
'Nwangalas' is an Ngwa name
Re: Igbo Names & Their Meanings by Kojiek: 10:10pm On Mar 13, 2012
mbatuku2:

Nwangalas is an Ngwa name. Though i dont know what it meant.
Re: Igbo Names & Their Meanings by 3RNEST(m): 10:16pm On Mar 13, 2012
@ifyalway, why did u spell it "Anaelechukwu" ? Pls send me fb request to next2design(at)gmail.com i want u to be my ibo teacher..
Re: Igbo Names & Their Meanings by Kojiek: 10:40pm On Mar 13, 2012
Names from Ikwerre area:
Ihunda - father's face
wenenda - father's brother
Nmerukini - what did i do
Owhornda - father's ofor
Wokekoro - man is lacked?
Ndamzi/Nnamdi - father is...?
Oroma/uloma - fine/good hom
Nneburoma- mother is good
Muachim - me and my God
Ogbonda- father's namesake
Ovunda/obinna - father's mind
Eke - creator?
Elechi - ?
Amaechi - ?
Aleruchi - ?
Ejekwu - ?
Amadi - ?
Oroefula - home do not loss?
Dieli - son of the land/soil
Nyeweli- landlord
Re: Igbo Names & Their Meanings by ifyalways(f): 11:27pm On Mar 13, 2012
Nice,i only speak and understand Igbo,dont know anything Ibo.Take note.

Btw,im not on FBK,lets do it here.
Re: Igbo Names & Their Meanings by odumchi: 11:39pm On Mar 13, 2012
Kojiek: Names from Ikwerre area:
Ihunda - father's face
Owhornda - father's ofor
Muachim - me and my God
Eke - creator?
Elechi - ?
Amaechi - ?
Aleruchi - ?
Ejekwu - ?
Amadi - ?
Nyeweli- landlord

Thanks for the translation.

Here are some that I know:

Nnamdi - my father is alive. Personally I think it should be "Nnamno" or "Nnamdindu"
Elechi is a short form of "Anamelechi" meaning I look to God
Amaechi - Is tomorrow known?
Amadi - free man
Re: Igbo Names & Their Meanings by NRIPRIEST(m): 8:52pm On Mar 19, 2012
Kojiek: Names from Ikwerre area:
Ihunda - father's face
Owhornda - father's ofor
Muachim - me and my God
Eke - creator?
Elechi - ?
Amaechi - ?
Aleruchi - ?
Ejekwu - ?
Amadi - ?
Nyeweli- landlord

I didnt know Ikwerre uses "offor",but they pronounce it differently! Very interesting indeed.
Re: Igbo Names & Their Meanings by AndreUweh(m): 12:46am On Mar 20, 2012
Ogomegbunam--Let my visitors or those that benefit from me not harm me.
Ibegbulam-Let the society not harm me
Onwuegbulam-let death not come my way
Maduegbulam-Let no man harm me.
Uchegbulam- Let my wish not harm me.
Iroegbulam-Let hostilities not claim my life
This names are common in Isinweke/Obowu/Nsu areas of Imo state.
Re: Igbo Names & Their Meanings by ifyalways(f): 4:31pm On Mar 20, 2012
Ogbogu=the mediator,he brought peace.(Onitsha and delta)
Afuekwe=we saw,we believed(Onitsha)
Achukwu(short form of and Onitsha way of saying Nwachukwu)=Gods own/child.
Olisaemeka=God has done well(Onitsha)
Nkemdilim=Let mine remain for me.(Onitsha)
Nnabuife=Father is everything,fathers are awesome(Onitsha)
Ifeyinwa=Nothing can be compared to a child.(Onitsha and Anambra generally)
Re: Igbo Names & Their Meanings by NRIPRIEST(m): 9:51pm On Mar 20, 2012
ifyalways: Ogbogu=the mediator,he brought peace.(Onitsha and delta)
Afuekwe=we saw,we believed(Onitsha)
Achukwu(short form of and Onitsha way of saying Nwachukwu)=Gods own/child.
Olisaemeka=God has done well(Onitsha)
Nkemdilim=Let mine remain for me.(Onitsha)
Nnabuife=Father is everything,fathers are awesome(Onitsha)
Ifeyinwa=Nothing can be compared to a child.(Onitsha and Anambra generally)
Firstly,Ify I will like to know what you mean by "Onicha and Anambra" ?
Secondly,those names you tagged onicha names is very untrue! I dont know where you got your onicha education but whoever that is feeding you with those infos is gravely wrong. I am still waiting for the day an onicha person will come here and have a thorough with me!
Re: Igbo Names & Their Meanings by NRIPRIEST(m): 10:51pm On Mar 20, 2012
THere is nothing like onicha names nor Anambra names! You could sa Onicha axis but not Onicha names,unless if you have names which arent those you posted and are also not Anambra axis names. . .all the names you posted as Onichas are also ancient in most Anambra,Enugu,Delta and even northern Imo state!

(1) (2) (3) ... (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) ... (27) (Reply)

Igbo Kwenu ! Kwenu Kwezo Nu ! Join Us If You Proud To Be An Igbo Guy/lady / Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary / Lists Of Yoruba Names And Their English Meaning.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.