Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,331 members, 7,836,400 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 07:09 AM

Igbo Names & Their Meanings - Culture (23) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Igbo Names & Their Meanings (467408 Views)

Nigeria Pidgin Proverbs & Their Meanings / Traditional Yoruba Names And Their Meanings / Nigerian Pidgin English And Their Meanings (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Igbo Names & Their Meanings by AndreUweh(m): 1:27am On Feb 11, 2013
Andre Uweh: Ogomegbunam--Let my visitors or those that benefit from me not harm me.
Ibegbulam-Let the society not harm me
Onwuegbulam-let death not come my way
Maduegbulam-Let no man harm me.
Uchegbulam- Let my wish not harm me.
Iroegbulam-Let hostilities not claim my life
This names are common in Isinweke/Obowu/Nsu areas of Imo state.
More Isinweke names:
Geria-listen carefully.
Akuruoyo-Let wealth come home.
Iweha-Let anger depart.
Woyokoruwa- ancestor that has reincarnated into the family/world.
Iheanaetu--What we want.
Obiyo- mind is at rest.
Wanjajaagu-a little brave lion.
Nduwuaku--life is wealth.
Re: Igbo Names & Their Meanings by odumchi: 2:02am On Feb 11, 2013
What's the meaning of Izenwata and Igbokidi? Where does the name Izenwata originate?
Re: Igbo Names & Their Meanings by ChinenyeN(m): 5:09pm On Feb 12, 2013
odumchi: What's the meaning of Izenwata and Igbokidi? Where does the name Izenwata originate?
I don't know about Igbokidi, but I know in Ngwa and surrounding communities we have the name Nzewata. If I am to make an educated guess, I'd say that Izenwata and Nzewata are for all in intents and purposes, the same name; making southern Igbo the likely origin.

As for the meaning; I will have to inquire about it, but what I do know is that the meaning of nze deals with some form of deference or privilege (among other things). I can't say for sure though how much of that actually applies to the name. I'll have to find out.
Re: Igbo Names & Their Meanings by odumchi: 4:39am On Feb 14, 2013
ChinenyeN:
I don't know about Igbokidi, but I know in Ngwa and surrounding communities we have the name Nzewata. If I am to make an educated guess, I'd say that Izenwata and Nzewata are for all in intents and purposes, the same name; making southern Igbo the likely origin.

As for the meaning; I will have to inquire about it, but what I do know is that the meaning of nze deals with some form of deference or privilege (among other things). I can't say for sure though how much of that actually applies to the name. I'll have to find out.

Thanks. I appreciate the detailed response. As for Igbokidi, I believe the origin is northern (Enugu).
Re: Igbo Names & Their Meanings by odumchi: 8:49pm On Feb 18, 2013
What does Nwakisi (Ngwa) mean? A friend told me it has to do with boldness.
Re: Igbo Names & Their Meanings by adaide1: 3:03pm On Feb 26, 2013
Nzenwata: nze + nwata
I believe it means a prosperous child or a child with a bright future.(O chiri nze n'nwata)
Nze/ozo are titles usually taken by the rich or conferred on notable personalities)
Re: Igbo Names & Their Meanings by ChinenyeN(m): 1:46am On Feb 27, 2013
It is doubtful that "nze" in "Nzewata" is connected to the Nze/Ozo institution.
Re: Igbo Names & Their Meanings by ChinenyeN(m): 2:38am On Feb 27, 2013
odumchi: What does Nwakisi (Ngwa) mean? A friend told me it has to do with boldness.
Nwakisi could be a number of names, but since you said boldness, I believe I know which one you're referring to. Nwakisi is some sort of prophetic name, so that the child's future will not be filled with unnecessary daring or controversial paths (or something along those lines). In Ngwa, ika isi (pronounced, ikha isi) means to act in some sort of daring, maybe controversial manner. In simple terms it means 'being bold', but the connotation of ikha isi is much deeper than just simply being bold. As with all names though, only the person who gave the name knows best what it is that he or she wants to convey. They maybe thinking of ikha isi in a different light.
Re: Igbo Names & Their Meanings by OdenigboAroli(m): 3:04pm On Mar 01, 2013
ChinenyeN: It is doubtful that "nze" in "Nzewata" is connected to the Nze/Ozo institution.

How so ?
Re: Igbo Names & Their Meanings by ChinenyeN(m): 5:31pm On Mar 01, 2013
Odenigbo Aroli: How so ?
Well, the Nze/Ozo institution is not practiced in the culture-zones where the name [Nzewata] is answered. So a connection between the two is very doubtful (to put it mildly).
Re: Igbo Names & Their Meanings by OdenigboAroli(m): 11:17pm On Mar 01, 2013
ChinenyeN:
Well, the Nze/Ozo institution is not practiced in the culture-zones where the name [Nzewata] is answered. So a connection between the two is very doubtful (to put it mildly).

I think we often underrate the wide influence of Nri culture in the precolonial Igbo land. For instance,we bear names like nwaeze,okwuze,ezebialu yet we didn't practice monarchy but just the thought and the greatness that such names carries makes it endearing to the people who use it. My point is that Ngwa might not have practice Nze na Ozo but that doesn't make them ignorant of the prestige,nobility and greatness that is associated with the institution,hence they found a reason to associate with such greatness.
Re: Igbo Names & Their Meanings by ChinenyeN(m): 12:32am On Mar 02, 2013
I'm really not going to get into this with you. All you've simply done here is make assumptions without any actual knowledge of Ngwa oral traditions, and we've been through this routine before. Anyway, my statement still stands that no discernible relationship exists between Izenwata/Nzewata names and the Nze/Ozo institution. The Nze/Ozo institution is neither practiced nor recognized (meaning, "nze"/"ozo" titles literally have no cultural value) within the region in any way. So there is no real basis for attempting to link the names with the institution.
Re: Igbo Names & Their Meanings by OdenigboAroli(m): 1:21am On Mar 02, 2013
ChinenyeN: I'm really not going to get into this with you. All you've simply done here is make assumptions without any actual knowledge of Ngwa oral traditions, and we've been through this routine before. Anyway, my statement still stands that no discernible relationship exists between Izenwata/Nzewata names and the Nze/Ozo institution. The Nze/Ozo institution is neither practiced nor recognized (meaning, "nze"/"ozo" titles literally have no cultural value) within the region in any way. So there is no real basis for attempting to link the names with the institution.

So,what does Nzenwata means in Ngwa ? Mind you,we Idenmilis also bear that name.
Re: Igbo Names & Their Meanings by odumchi: 12:12am On Mar 03, 2013
ChinenyeN:
Nwakisi could be a number of names, but since you said boldness, I believe I know which one you're referring to. Nwakisi is some sort of prophetic name, so that the child's future will not be filled with unnecessary daring or controversial paths (or something along those lines). In Ngwa, ika isi (pronounced, ikha isi) means to act in some sort of daring, maybe controversial manner. In simple terms it means 'being bold', but the connotation of ikha isi is much deeper than just simply being bold. As with all names though, only the person who gave the name knows best what it is that he or she wants to convey. They maybe thinking of ikha isi in a different light.

Thanks once again for the detailed response. And I'm guessing ikha isi (Ngwa) is the equivalent of iwa anya (Izugbe) and ika azi (Aro).
Re: Igbo Names & Their Meanings by odumchi: 12:19am On Mar 03, 2013
Odenigbo Aroli:

I think we often underrate the wide influence of Nri culture in the precolonial Igbo land. For instance,we bear names like nwaeze,okwuze,ezebialu yet we didn't practice monarchy but just the thought and the greatness that such names carries makes it endearing to the people who use it. My point is that Ngwa might not have practice Nze na Ozo but that doesn't make them ignorant of the prestige,nobility and greatness that is associated with the institution,hence they found a reason to associate with such greatness.

There are communities in Igboland that don't even know what Nze na Ozo is. I never knew what Nze na Ozo was until I started reading/watching about the Igbo cultures. [I dare to say] in the whole of Abia state the practice of Nze na Ozo is nonexistent. The same goes for Rivers state and most (if not all) of Ebonyi.
Re: Igbo Names & Their Meanings by Jloy(m): 4:55pm On Mar 29, 2013
:DJust joined. Really impressed. Just joined. Really impressed. Just joined. Really impressed.
Re: Igbo Names & Their Meanings by Tochex101(m): 7:57pm On Mar 29, 2013
Beautiful thread........can anyone tell me the meaning of these names......(Ulagwu and unachukwu)
Re: Igbo Names & Their Meanings by NRIPRIEST(m): 12:17am On Mar 30, 2013
Tochex101: Beautiful thread........can anyone tell me the meaning of these names......(Ulagwu and unachukwu)

I can only try with "Unachukwu",which is common is Anambra. Ok,"una" can mean to "call someone out" or to "scream out at someone",especially,when they have done some wrong. "Una" could also mean something of which I might be unaware of. So,the best possible way I can translate it is "the screams of God". Someone with a better knowledge can help. As for "ulagwu",I will go with "the departure of the oracular spirits". Deme!
Re: Igbo Names & Their Meanings by ifyalways(f): 12:24am On Mar 30, 2013
Tochex101: Beautiful thread........can anyone tell me the meaning of these names......(Ulagwu and unachukwu)
Unachukwu . . .The voice of God
Ulagwu . . .The departure of evil spirits or ill omen.Agwu = ara(kraze)
Re: Igbo Names & Their Meanings by Tochex101(m): 8:14am On Mar 30, 2013
Thanks for the response smiley
Re: Igbo Names & Their Meanings by Goldenbaby(f): 12:01pm On Apr 19, 2013
Umunne na umunna, kene diri unu, pls I need a unique and uncommon name I will give to my twin babies,(a boy and a girl) ibo and english name preferable. Thanks to u all.
Re: Igbo Names & Their Meanings by Goldenbaby(f): 2:03pm On May 09, 2013
Nawao for this kind thread,no one wants to answer M̶̲̥̅y question, odikwa very risky,is better to just closed the thread nah.
Re: Igbo Names & Their Meanings by Goldenbaby(f): 2:15pm On May 09, 2013
:-Xhmmmm cheesy[b]G̶̲̥̅Ơ̴̴̴̴͡D dey sha!!! [/b] uuuuu
Re: Igbo Names & Their Meanings by OdenigboAroli(m): 10:37pm On May 09, 2013
Goldenbaby: Nawao for this kind thread,no one wants to answer M̶̲̥̅y question, odikwa very risky,is better to just closed the thread nah.

Nne,iwe gi adina oku,inugo.

As for the names;male: Ikeolisa,Chibuife,Nwadei,Udolisa,Chidube, Female: Nwakego,Ijeoma,Nmilimma,Munachiso(unisex),Chinemelum(unisex).
Re: Igbo Names & Their Meanings by Goldenbaby(f): 11:27pm On May 09, 2013
Odenigbo Aroli:

Nne,iwe gi adina oku,inugo.

As for the names;male: Ikeolisa,Chibuife,Nwadei,Udolisa,Chidube, Female: Nwakego,Ijeoma,Nmilimma,Munachiso(unisex),Chinemelum(unisex).

Dalu,I will take munachimso since is unisex(boy) and chinemelum(girl) dalu soo.
Re: Igbo Names & Their Meanings by Chimaaba: 12:46pm On May 12, 2013
I salut una.

I remember my father telling me of my nnanna's name, Nwazue. As I recall, he said it means everybody should have children. Can anybody confirm? No amount of googling has yielded results.

Praps Nwazue seems to short for that, so I'm guessing it is an abbreviation of sorts.

Dalu.
Re: Igbo Names & Their Meanings by OdenigboAroli(m): 12:56pm On May 12, 2013
Chimaaba: I salut una.

I remember my father telling me of my nnanna's name, Nwazue. As I recall, he said it means everybody should have children. Can anybody confirm? No amount of googling has yielded results.

Praps Nwazue seems to short for that, so I'm guessing it is an abbreviation of sorts.

Dalu.

Your fatherr was right; Nwazue means "let everybody have a child","may it go around".
Deme.
Re: Igbo Names & Their Meanings by Nobody: 4:00am On May 14, 2013
Oroma Elewa is a fashion model and she runs this blog:

http://www.oromastherapy.com/

She is apparently Igbo. Anyone know the meaning of her name? Which region of the SE could she be from?
Re: Igbo Names & Their Meanings by odumchi: 5:33am On May 14, 2013
nnenna.1:
Oroma Elewa is a fashion model and she runs this blog:

http://www.oromastherapy.com/

She is apparently Igbo. Anyone know the meaning of her name? Which region of the SE could she be from?

There's the possibility that she could be from Delta (South South) or Rivers (South South), since groups in both states answer 'Elewa'.

Anyway, in Central Igbo her first name, 'Oroma', means 'orange' (that is, if I am pronouncing it the correct way), while her last name 'Elewa' (which I am guessing is short for 'Elewachi') means "let us look to God". Going by her name, I would say it's most likely that she is from Imo.
Re: Igbo Names & Their Meanings by Nobody: 4:06pm On May 14, 2013
Thanks.

She mentions being raised in Port Harcourt so you may have a point there about her being from the SS.

Oroma is very unique and interesting name.

This is a nice thread, by the way.

odumchi:

There's the possibility that she could be from Delta (South South) or Rivers (South South), since groups in both states answer 'Elewa'.

Anyway, in Central Igbo her first name, 'Oroma', means 'orange' (that is, if I am pronouncing it the correct way), while her last name 'Elewa' (which I am guessing is short for 'Elewachi') means "let us look to God". Going by her name, I would say it's most likely that she is from Imo.

1 Like

Re: Igbo Names & Their Meanings by Tochex101(m): 8:06am On May 25, 2013
Pls can someone tell me the meaning of "ikenatamba"

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Igbo Names & Their Meanings by oboy3(m): 10:30am On May 25, 2013
Echezona/Elozona-dont forget
Ekwunife-(am not too sure of the meaning) dont say anything
Ekwutozinachukwu-
dont speak ill against God
Obumneme-its not my Doing
Somkenechukwu-join me in thanking God
Chimdindu-my God is alive
Chukwuemerie-God has conquered
Iwenegbunam-let my anger not kill me
Atunaegwu-fear not

(1) (2) (3) ... (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) (Reply)

Igbo Kwenu ! Kwenu Kwezo Nu ! Join Us If You Proud To Be An Igbo Guy/lady / Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary / Lists Of Yoruba Names And Their English Meaning.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.