Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,265 members, 7,818,901 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 07:40 AM

INEC Set For Early Voter Registration – Jega - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / INEC Set For Early Voter Registration – Jega (2449 Views)

Camel Leads Soldiers Out For Early Morning Exercise In Lagos. / Chief-Of-Army-Staff, Buratai, Leads Soldiers For Early Morning Exercise (Photos) / INEC Voter Registration: Eyewitness Accounts (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

INEC Set For Early Voter Registration – Jega by Nobody: 11:48pm On Dec 20, 2012
CHAIRMAN of Independent National Electoral Commission, INEC, Professor Attahiru Jega, said, Wednesday, that continuous voter registration would begin early next year, preparatory to the 2015 general elections.

He said such exercise was intended to avail those who were not yet up to 18 years during the last registration the opportunity to participate in the current electoral processes.

Jega, who spoke at the opening of Election Observation Lessons Learnt Conference in Abuja, assured that there would be no repeat of any of the challenges INEC faced during the 2011 elections.

He said one of the steps INEC had taken to avoid the challenges was the introduction of permanent voter cards, along with card readers, which, he explained, would make double registration impossible.

'We need ad hoc staff’

Jega disclosed that he would not stop engaging ad hoc staff in most INEC's assignments as the staff at its disposal was not enough to carry out all the assignments, noting that it was same all over the world.

He said: "The use of ad hoc staff cannot be totally erased because INEC staff alone cannot be used to conduct elections. Most countries have volunteers."

Noting that the conference did not come at a wrong time, Jega explained that his organisation "sees election observation missions as necessary for ensuring compliance with laws and global best practices, for increasing the transparency of the conduct of elections and for building public confidence in the electoral process.

"When observers issue positive reports, it builds trust in the democratic process and enhances the legitimacy of the governments that emerge from elections.

On election observers

"On the other hand, if they issue negative reports, it would undermine the legitimacy of an elected government and pose questions on the credibility of the electoral process."

He said since the 2011 elections, his commission had accredited over 400 domestic and international observation missions, a development he said was to "underscore the importance INEC attaches to the value of citizens-led election observation."

He charged the organisers to use the conference not only to share experiences and enhance communication, but also assist the commissions and various observer mission groups develop a partnership for action to strengthen advocacy for reform of the election legal framework.

http://allafrica.com/stories/201212200421.html
Re: INEC Set For Early Voter Registration – Jega by dridowu: 8:03am On Dec 21, 2012
I dnt trust ds guy JEGA anymore*****am out******
Re: INEC Set For Early Voter Registration – Jega by DarkFive: 8:04am On Dec 21, 2012
Reserve my Comments lolz
Re: INEC Set For Early Voter Registration – Jega by ebamma3: 8:04am On Dec 21, 2012
I hope say dis registration no go cost 88billion like the other one been cost?
Re: INEC Set For Early Voter Registration – Jega by savcy(m): 8:06am On Dec 21, 2012
Jega- The best INEC chairman ever. Simply Innovative. A stark-contrast to that Igbo-Man.
Re: INEC Set For Early Voter Registration – Jega by SwitAyi(f): 8:06am On Dec 21, 2012
Nice one prof. Abeg make una do quick employ me jare,no time.
Re: INEC Set For Early Voter Registration – Jega by blender1: 8:07am On Dec 21, 2012
Jega, we hear u.
Re: INEC Set For Early Voter Registration – Jega by Nobody: 8:07am On Dec 21, 2012
This is crazy.inec would now ask for funds to finance dis running into billions of naira.because i know the staff there have already shared d laptops and printers from 2011 among themselves.y dont they jst have d machines at all their offices in nigeria all year round.so that u can register at ur leisure instead of one time tin afta which d machines disappear again
Re: INEC Set For Early Voter Registration – Jega by Drsheddy(m): 8:07am On Dec 21, 2012
Hmmm
Re: INEC Set For Early Voter Registration – Jega by ochukoccna: 8:08am On Dec 21, 2012
Does he mean magnetic stripe cards &magnetic card readers?
Then there is trouble as that card type is so prone to cloning.
Re: INEC Set For Early Voter Registration – Jega by Nobody: 8:22am On Dec 21, 2012
@hiroz: You are spot on with ur view. Billions of naira would be saved if voter registration is a continuous exercise, using permanent equipment.
Re: INEC Set For Early Voter Registration – Jega by Nobody: 8:24am On Dec 21, 2012
Am waiting for ACN and CPC to find fault with this proccess.

1 Like

Re: INEC Set For Early Voter Registration – Jega by a1solution: 8:35am On Dec 21, 2012
Jega loves innovation not leaders dat are still living bacward.

1 Like

Re: INEC Set For Early Voter Registration – Jega by Onyenna(m): 8:55am On Dec 21, 2012
No comment......
Re: INEC Set For Early Voter Registration – Jega by Dtwoabbey(m): 9:24am On Dec 21, 2012
Nice step. Infact, I have my own roles to play in the system to see to the success of INEC performance in Nigeria. Just try to employ me into the system first. Contact me through this mail. (chatwithdtwo@yahoo.com).
Re: INEC Set For Early Voter Registration – Jega by Nobody: 10:41am On Dec 21, 2012
The last voter's card never show. Wetin them wan do this time? Abeg, make dem no do magumagu, abrakadabra again o.
Re: INEC Set For Early Voter Registration – Jega by Wsdm: 11:16am On Dec 21, 2012
What is the need of collecting a data that you can not release as evidence in court because of 'national security'. Jega, go and sit down because you lack any reputation and credibility. We prefer open Iwu to your cunning nature.
Re: INEC Set For Early Voter Registration – Jega by Ask4bigneyo(m): 3:31pm On Dec 21, 2012
J: Jonathan
E: Ebele
G: Goodluck
A: Azikwe

VS

G: Goodluck
E: Ebele
J: Jonathan
A: Azikwe

Na one person still dey rule naija o jawe! Abi wetin b d diff?

(1) (Reply)

How Far With Our Troops In Mali ? / Shocking Case Of Gay Major (Bello Magaji) Pardoned By Jonathan / Facebook Friends Attack Elrufai For Calling President Jonathan A Pig

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.