Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,577 members, 7,820,079 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 09:25 AM

Facebook Tests $1 Fee For Messages To Non-friends - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Facebook Tests $1 Fee For Messages To Non-friends (6850 Views)

CBN Introduces Current Account Maintenance Fee / Ignore Messages Requesting For BVN – CBN Informs The Public / CBN To Apply Islamic Principles To Non-Banking Financial Institutions (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Facebook Tests $1 Fee For Messages To Non-friends by SisiKill1: 1:20pm On Dec 21, 2012
Facebook tests $1 fee for messages to non-friends

Facebook tests charging $1 to route messages to inbox rather than oft-ignored 'other' folder

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) -- Facebook says it is testing a service that will charge users $1 to guarantee that messages they send to people they are not connected to arrive in users' inboxes, rather than in an often-ignored folder called "other."

Launched in 2011, the "other" folder is where Facebook routes messages it deems less relevant. Not quite spam, these include messages from people you most likely don't know, based on Facebook's reading of your social connections. Many users ignore this folder.

Now, users will be able to pay $1 to route their messages to non-friends. Facebook said Thursday that it is testing the service with a small percentage of individuals — not businesses — in the U.S.

"For example, if you want to send a message to someone you heard speak at an event but are not friends with, or if you want to message someone about a job opportunity, you can use this feature to reach their Inbox," Facebook said in an online post. "For the receiver, this test allows them to hear from people who have an important message to send them."

The company says charging for messages could help discourage spammers.

In October, Facebook unveiled another feature that lets users pay if they want more people to read their updates. For $7, users can promote a post to their friends, just as advertisers do.

SOURCE

1 Like

Re: Facebook Tests $1 Fee For Messages To Non-friends by SisiKill1: 1:24pm On Dec 21, 2012
LMFAO! I don't know what message will be important enough for me to pay to get it through. . .especially when I have other options but then again, I am not an FB user so I may not know much about the kind of messages FB users like to send that will require paying money to send it.

Will the FB users please enlighten us?! cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Facebook Tests $1 Fee For Messages To Non-friends by Iaz93: 2:04pm On Dec 21, 2012
$1 ..hmm
Re: Facebook Tests $1 Fee For Messages To Non-friends by Intrepid1(m): 2:07pm On Dec 21, 2012
Sisi_Kill: LMFAO! I don't know what message will be important enough for me to pay to get it through. . .especially when I have other options but then again, I am not an FB user so I may not know much about the kind of messages FB users like to send that will require paying money to send it.

Bless you for not joining the '1st to comment' bandwagon.

On an unrelated note, I am the 3rd to comment! grin

Seriously though, these Facebook guys are really hustling, and are set to continue milking their 500m+ member base for all it is worth.

6 Likes

Re: Facebook Tests $1 Fee For Messages To Non-friends by pboiskinpy(m): 2:08pm On Dec 21, 2012
Kk oooo

(Jux passing)
Re: Facebook Tests $1 Fee For Messages To Non-friends by Nobody: 2:08pm On Dec 21, 2012
At the end of the day it will be businesses that will be able to afford this kind of services.

And not just any business, it will be high-networth busineses.

Another way of advertising has just been introduced.
Re: Facebook Tests $1 Fee For Messages To Non-friends by Smartjeezy(m): 2:09pm On Dec 21, 2012
I will rather drop the message on their wall...
Re: Facebook Tests $1 Fee For Messages To Non-friends by tobintino(m): 2:11pm On Dec 21, 2012
Sisi_Kill: LMFAO! I don't know what message will be important enough for me to pay to get it through. . .especially when I have other options but then again, I am not an FB user so I may not know much about the kind of messages FB users like to send that will require paying money to send it.

Funny OP.... You are not an FB user, and yet.....
Re: Facebook Tests $1 Fee For Messages To Non-friends by amosy007: 2:12pm On Dec 21, 2012
lol.. i will rather buy 100 naira (less than a dollar) recharge card and call the person tongue
Re: Facebook Tests $1 Fee For Messages To Non-friends by kandiikane(m): 2:13pm On Dec 21, 2012
Erm, so how do I access the 'other' inbox? undecided
Re: Facebook Tests $1 Fee For Messages To Non-friends by miteolu(m): 2:20pm On Dec 21, 2012
E - Fraud

1 Like

Re: Facebook Tests $1 Fee For Messages To Non-friends by Orpelin: 2:22pm On Dec 21, 2012
U get am. But this message was free untill now that I am just this . What will happen now?
thank God I no dey FB frequently again.
Google+ should be next in this coming next year
amosy007: lol.. i will rather buy 100 naira (less than a dollar) recharge card and call the person tongue
Re: Facebook Tests $1 Fee For Messages To Non-friends by Nobody: 2:24pm On Dec 21, 2012
Facebook set to give more power to the unrelenting Y!Y Boys to contact users directly, making more than 1billion people suceptible to the unbelievable schematics of the cowboys.

what a pity to the shallow mind

2 Likes

Re: Facebook Tests $1 Fee For Messages To Non-friends by HumanPsycho(m): 2:29pm On Dec 21, 2012
l knew this was coming..Just like advanced blogging, Let the business begin and leave facebook to miniature social network users, recording human details like no other.

1 Like

Re: Facebook Tests $1 Fee For Messages To Non-friends by mrkels(m): 2:32pm On Dec 21, 2012
[size=13pt]Great, at least all those useless yahoo yahoo boys that cannot differentiate between me and a white man on facebook would have to pay a fee before sending those spam mails I get daily in my "other" folder...Business don spoil for them be that[/size] cheesy
Re: Facebook Tests $1 Fee For Messages To Non-friends by 2legit2qwt: 2:33pm On Dec 21, 2012
shocked shocked I just realized I have 15 unread messages in my "other" inbox, I hope those people haven't concluded already that I've been ignoring them since 2011 grin
@Op thanks for letting me about this "other" inbox Facebook route messages to, nonetheless I'm not paying a $ for sh1t.
Re: Facebook Tests $1 Fee For Messages To Non-friends by AZeD1(m): 2:35pm On Dec 21, 2012
Bad move by FB. Email works very well because spam can be controlled.
Re: Facebook Tests $1 Fee For Messages To Non-friends by Nobody: 2:36pm On Dec 21, 2012
moi je n' suis pas dans facebook.
Re: Facebook Tests $1 Fee For Messages To Non-friends by Nobody: 2:44pm On Dec 21, 2012
La Professeur: moi je n' suis pas dans facebook.
Guy, le how far na? I no understand french na lipsrsealed
Re: Facebook Tests $1 Fee For Messages To Non-friends by Nobody: 3:10pm On Dec 21, 2012
This is an English speaking forum and if you know you cannot communicate in anything other than that then please just up.

Thanks for your cooperation.
Re: Facebook Tests $1 Fee For Messages To Non-friends by paranorman(m): 3:20pm On Dec 21, 2012
virtuoso01: At the end of the day it will be businesses that will be able to afford this kind of services.

And not just any business, it will be high-networth busineses.

Another way of advertising has just been introduced.
good reasoning
Re: Facebook Tests $1 Fee For Messages To Non-friends by kingron: 3:21pm On Dec 21, 2012
truth is more peep re actually enjoying twitter..facebook cud even it 10 dollats, i still lov twitta
Re: Facebook Tests $1 Fee For Messages To Non-friends by JideTheBlogger(m): 3:41pm On Dec 21, 2012
mrkels: [size=13pt]Great, at least all those useless yahoo yahoo boys that cannot differentiate between me and a white man on facebook would have to pay a fee before sending those spam mails I get daily in my "other" folder...Business don spoil for them be that[/size] cheesy

....only if they are those yahoo boys with No Laptop grin. The pro ones can afford the $1 bro.
Re: Facebook Tests $1 Fee For Messages To Non-friends by Nobody: 3:56pm On Dec 21, 2012
Facebook seems to be looking to monetize every opportunity they get.

If it gets too much, it could hamper the User Experience.
Re: Facebook Tests $1 Fee For Messages To Non-friends by Nobody: 4:00pm On Dec 21, 2012
Where can i locate this 'other' folder on fb?
Re: Facebook Tests $1 Fee For Messages To Non-friends by queensmith: 4:03pm On Dec 21, 2012
Re: Facebook Tests $1 Fee For Messages To Non-friends by Chanchit: 4:12pm On Dec 21, 2012
I know they have too many users, so they are trying to loose some, all they neesd do is come out with more silly ideas.
Re: Facebook Tests $1 Fee For Messages To Non-friends by SisiKill1: 4:34pm On Dec 21, 2012
tobintino:

Funny OP.... You are not an FB user, and yet.....

Lmao, Yes Yet. . . cheesy
Re: Facebook Tests $1 Fee For Messages To Non-friends by miteolu(m): 4:38pm On Dec 21, 2012

sheyie2007:
Guy, le how far na? I no understand french na lipsrsealed

meaning: ''me I am not in facebook'' or I am not using facebook
Re: Facebook Tests $1 Fee For Messages To Non-friends by Homar(m): 4:39pm On Dec 21, 2012
Since i entered nairaland i no no where facebook dey for my bookmarks .

1 Like

Re: Facebook Tests $1 Fee For Messages To Non-friends by Napolitano(m): 4:52pm On Dec 21, 2012
They're simply exploring every single opportunity
Re: Facebook Tests $1 Fee For Messages To Non-friends by Nobody: 4:59pm On Dec 21, 2012
Those in support say AYE
Opposition Say NAY
The NAYs have it.
The DEMISE of FBook in waiting let see how it ends

(1) (2) (Reply)

Lagos Imposes Levy On Generator Owners! / Sample Cooperative Society Constitution Needed / FG To Ban Foreign Goods That Have Local Substitutes

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.