Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,841 members, 7,810,245 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 02:05 AM

What Age Is Bedwetting Abnormal For Child? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / What Age Is Bedwetting Abnormal For Child? (1452 Views)

Help! My Husband’s Sexual Demands Abnormal / Married As A Second Wife For Child-Bearing / What Tactics Do Parents Employ To Stop Their Kids From Bedwetting? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Age Is Bedwetting Abnormal For Child? by ojoko1(m): 5:51pm On Dec 21, 2012
Pls..for d married couples in the house. What age did ur kids stop bedwetting?
Re: What Age Is Bedwetting Abnormal For Child? by Callotti: 6:19pm On Dec 21, 2012
It depends on the etiology.
Bedwetting for a child over age the age of 5 may be a medical problem.
Seeing a pediatrician may be helpful.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/71737-bed-wetting-older-children/

Bed wetting not only affects infants who have recently undergone potty training but older children and teens as well. While most children have learned to control their bladder by the time they are aged 5 or 6, others may take longer. Bed wetting may be an embarrassing problem for your child, who may feel ashamed and anxious. Parents need to ensure that they both reassuring and supportive.

Facts
Bed wetting is also referred to as primary enuresis and affects 5 to 7 million children in the United States. Bed wetting can be defined as a child aged 5 or above who has been consistently wetting his bed at least once or twice per week over the last three months. Bed wetting is more common in boys than girls, and 20 percent of children aged between 2 and 12 wet their beds. Over 70 percent of children who wet their beds will stop by the time they are 11 years old.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/71737-bed-wetting-older-children/#ixzz2Fhx8WZx1
Re: What Age Is Bedwetting Abnormal For Child? by Nobody: 7:12pm On Dec 21, 2012
According to researchers, from ages 5 to 7 is normal for a child to be wetting the bed. At that age, their bladders are still growing and developing.

Usually, it's not really so rare that children over the age of 8 still wet the bed. Actually, 1 out of 10 children still wet the bed by age 12. Which means 7 million children still have bed wetting. If you're that concerned, try getting your daughter either Goodnites or UnderJams for nighttime protection. Other options are limiting drinks an hour before bed, or using a rubber sheet to prevent soiling the sheets.
Re: What Age Is Bedwetting Abnormal For Child? by azpekuliar: 8:20am On Dec 22, 2012
I did bedwet till age 15! lipsrsealed
Re: What Age Is Bedwetting Abnormal For Child? by ojoko1(m): 9:52pm On Dec 22, 2012
Thanks @ all for the responses. Now I know better
Re: What Age Is Bedwetting Abnormal For Child? by greatgod2012(f): 3:54am On Dec 23, 2012
It depends on d age of d child, how matured d child's nervous system is as well as parents effort in stopping d bedwetting.
As a parent, you have a lot to do with your child, if you want him to stop bedwetting on time.
First, ensure d dinner is taken on or before 6p.m and thereafter reduce his intake of fluid, anytime from 7p.m, no more fluid taking.
Secondly, try to check their excesses in playing, some children can play football for 12 hours in d day, so what do you expect in d night, of course, they will be too tired to wake up to ease themselves in d night, having overworked themselves thru playing.
Thirdly, In d night, wake him up to ease himself at least 2 to 3 times, be consistent with time, so that, when u stop waking him up, he would have accustomed himself with d time, and wake up at that exact time to ease himself.
On d age, some children mature faster than some, like my first child now, i didnt do much before he stop bedwetting, he stopped on his own by age one, even in d day, he stop using diaper at age one, each time i dress for him with diaper, and he want to ease himself, he would remove d diaper himself and ease himself, if he wanted to poo-poo, he would remove d diaper and go to d toilet to carry his potty himself, by d time i notice this for about a month, i stopped using daiper for him, as regards bedwetting, i woke him up for just two days and he refused to urinate, only for him to wake up in d morning and open up a tap, that was how he stopped till today, however, for d kid sister, who is 4+ now, we still wake her up in d night to ease herself, and d day we sleep off, not waking her up, she still bedwets, so when i informed our doctor, he said, d nervous system matures differently, hence, their differences.
So, it depends on d parent's effort, age, as well as how matured d brain of d child is.
May God help us all.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

I Refused My Dad's Proposal To Send Me Abroad. / Sacrifice! / Married & Miserable

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.