Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,073 members, 7,814,709 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 05:58 PM

The Difference Between Christmas Eve & Watch Night? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Difference Between Christmas Eve & Watch Night? (6914 Views)

Nairaland Forum 2014 Watch-Night Service / Nairaland 2013 Watch-Night Service / Pastor Chris Charges Gate Fees For Watch Night Service? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Difference Between Christmas Eve & Watch Night? by manmustwac(m): 9:54am On Dec 24, 2012
I understand that Christmas Eve is the day before Christmas Day, but what of Watch Night?
Re: The Difference Between Christmas Eve & Watch Night? by jhydebaba(m): 9:56am On Dec 24, 2012
You are right. grin grin grin

For the record: it's watch night
Re: The Difference Between Christmas Eve & Watch Night? by Nobody: 10:13am On Dec 24, 2012
On a slightly serious note though, watch night is a service that takes place on Christmas eve.
that's the relationship.
Re: The Difference Between Christmas Eve & Watch Night? by k2039: 10:29am On Dec 24, 2012
No difference between both, they are just overrated inflated days.

One is the night before the first day of a calendar year(I still don't understand the difference between the first day of a calendar year and any other day of the calendar except that it's the first and a public day, I don't understand why so much importance should be attached to it).

The second is the night before christmas, (it would only have made sense if Jesus was born on the 25th, but we all know it's not true).

1 Like

Re: The Difference Between Christmas Eve & Watch Night? by Kaxmytex(m): 10:51am On Dec 24, 2012
Watch night grin
Re: The Difference Between Christmas Eve & Watch Night? by miteolu(m): 12:07pm On Dec 24, 2012
jhydebaba: You are right. grin grin grin
For the record: it's watch night

What are u watching
Re: The Difference Between Christmas Eve & Watch Night? by Afam4eva(m): 12:08pm On Dec 24, 2012
Christmas eve is the day before christmas while watch night means a service done overnight...not necessarily on Christmas eve.

1 Like

Re: The Difference Between Christmas Eve & Watch Night? by sessydoo(m): 12:10pm On Dec 24, 2012
xmas eve...a day b4 xmas, and watch night....a day b4 the new yr, and usually extends to d ff day...lol grin

i try small now
Re: The Difference Between Christmas Eve & Watch Night? by free2ryhme: 12:12pm On Dec 24, 2012
Xmas eve is a before the xmas day itself while a watch night is a service held late on New Year's Eve
Re: The Difference Between Christmas Eve & Watch Night? by Francheezy(m): 12:14pm On Dec 24, 2012
the spelling and the pr0n0unciati0n
Re: The Difference Between Christmas Eve & Watch Night? by Nobody: 12:16pm On Dec 24, 2012
Watch night is the night when the three wise men watched the stars for signs of the birth of the messiah.

cool
Re: The Difference Between Christmas Eve & Watch Night? by Nobody: 12:18pm On Dec 24, 2012
Both days have no difference, cos they have 24hrs each.
Re: The Difference Between Christmas Eve & Watch Night? by Goldenheart(m): 12:28pm On Dec 24, 2012
eve is 24th and watch nite is 30th/31st....
Re: The Difference Between Christmas Eve & Watch Night? by Ganys: 12:31pm On Dec 24, 2012
Prophet of ISLAM Jesus Christ (peace be upon Him) was
never born on December,25 as
Calendars were not stabilised during
His Birth. Celebrating December,25 is a
calculated & mathematical insult on the prophethood & personage of Jesus
Christ. December,25 was the traditional
Birthday of the Anglo-Saxon goddess
of fraternity. Therefore, just like January
1st, Celebrating Christmas is despicably Heretical- because, December,25 was wickedly foisted upon the minds of the Christians & lukewarm Muslims as Jesus' Birthday. THINK!

2 Likes

Re: The Difference Between Christmas Eve & Watch Night? by Nobody: 12:34pm On Dec 24, 2012
And this made it to the front page?
Nairaland don turn teacher,where people that are mentally deranged can ask dumb questions,and it will make front page.
Re: The Difference Between Christmas Eve & Watch Night? by jamace(m): 12:51pm On Dec 24, 2012
Watch night is the day before any special day, christmas inclusive. Therefore, every christmas eve is a watch night but not every watch night is a christmas eve.
Re: The Difference Between Christmas Eve & Watch Night? by wheesin(m): 1:00pm On Dec 24, 2012
WATCH NIGHT IS A NITE DAT YOU SIT IN YOUR RUM AND WATCH FILM WHILE EVE IS THE DAY Ü REMEMBER ADAMS WIFE.. .LOLZ !*laughing like a goat*
Re: The Difference Between Christmas Eve & Watch Night? by Skmoda360(m): 1:05pm On Dec 24, 2012
manmustwac: I understand that Christmas Eve is the day before Christmas Day, but what of Watch Night?
Watch night, I think......
Re: The Difference Between Christmas Eve & Watch Night? by shadrach77: 1:07pm On Dec 24, 2012
it seems most people attatch more importance to the new year eve which i feel is quite silly. Yorubas even call it "odun nla" meaning big festival and christmas "odun kekere" meaning small festival. But we all know that from a spiritual angle, Christmas is a bigger festival angry angry angry
Re: The Difference Between Christmas Eve & Watch Night? by sexyglow(f): 1:23pm On Dec 24, 2012
[quote author=Goldenheart]eve is 24th and watch nite is 30th/31st....
[/quote. Sorrry,31st night is called CROSS OVER NIGHT my dear
Re: The Difference Between Christmas Eve & Watch Night? by Nobody: 1:23pm On Dec 24, 2012
Good afternoon sir,

I believe the concept of keeping watch is not new. Watchnight has a lot to do with preparation, especially, when there is an important feast or event coming up. In our every day lives, I believe we know how important it is to prepare for whatever event we are expecting and more important is the preparation done the day before that event.

When one prepares for an event and get's the day before that event wrong then the individual risk losing it all. For example, if a student prepares adequately for an exam and the day before the crucial moment, he or she decides to go out for an all-night party where he or she drins to stupour, this act has the potential of ruining all he or she has worked for.

In the same way, watchnight or Christmas eve is meant to help us consolidate on the preparation we have already begun and also meant to keep our minds and hearts focused on the feast we are about to celebrate the next day instead of ruining all the work we have been doing prior to Christmas.

Thank you!
Re: The Difference Between Christmas Eve & Watch Night? by Bluesparkles(f): 1:43pm On Dec 24, 2012
No, no difference. They both come before days that are overhyped as if they are not like every other day.
The only good thing is, its work-free
Re: The Difference Between Christmas Eve & Watch Night? by hackman90: 1:52pm On Dec 24, 2012
Conversation in yoruba
YORUBAMAN:kini washi night

ME:watch ni when we wear wristwatch to chck how many minutes to newyear

YORUBAMAN:kini kissmass eve

ME:kissmass eve ni when Eve fu mi ni adam eve to drink before kissmass

*goes back to bed*zzzzzzzz(whistle)zzzzz ;DConversation in yoruba

*goes back to bed*zzzzzzzz(whistle)zzzzz
Re: The Difference Between Christmas Eve & Watch Night? by Adufaye(m): 2:01pm On Dec 24, 2012
i only knw off watchin nite and washin nite...watchin nite is 2 watch hw jesus was born,while washin nite is 2 wash our sin b4 enterin d new yr
Re: The Difference Between Christmas Eve & Watch Night? by Nobody: 2:13pm On Dec 24, 2012
hackman90: Conversation in yoruba

*goes back to bed*zzzzzzzz(whistle)zzzzz ;DConversation in yoruba

*goes back to bed*zzzzzzzz(whistle)zzzzz

dont even try your chance at comedy coz you suck

1 Like

Re: The Difference Between Christmas Eve & Watch Night? by manmustwac(m): 2:30pm On Dec 24, 2012
inurmind: On a slightly serious note though, watch night is a service that takes place on Christmas eve.
that's the relationship.
But its pronouced here as wash night instead of watch night & I don't hear anyone saying anything about the actual carol service?
Re: The Difference Between Christmas Eve & Watch Night? by huninaija(f): 2:56pm On Dec 24, 2012
Xmas eve! The day before eve eat the apple from the tree which was a day before xmas. Watch night: a particular night in which we must watch out for boko haram, any suspicious banger and the likes! tongue

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Did Jesus For Our Sin? Which Sin? (no, Bring Your Proof If You R Truthful) / Creation Vs. Evolution / Who Is A Christian According To The Bible?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.