Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,197 members, 7,953,721 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 12:59 AM

My Humble Suggestion On Curbing The Menace Of Scamming On Nairaland - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / My Humble Suggestion On Curbing The Menace Of Scamming On Nairaland (2048 Views)

Hard Times! Economic Downturn Humble Nigeria’s Oil Moguls And Super-rich / OLX Nigeria And So Much Scamming / A Humble Plea To . Please Refund My Money. Please!!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Humble Suggestion On Curbing The Menace Of Scamming On Nairaland by eyenCalabar(m): 4:19pm On Dec 24, 2012
Hi folks, I've been reading stories of people getting scammed on this forum and it's very sad. NL no doubt has been a forum accepted and loved by a good number of people across the globe especially Nigerians. Seun has done his bit by designing the forum and though his initial intention about it may have been business wise but I see NL beyond this. NL is a typical Nigerian community. And Yes, because if you have been following threads in this forum and studying people's comments and even the nature of threads some create, you'll realize how a typical Nigerian man thinks, talks, and behaves both in Nigeria and in Diaspora. You'll always realize that we are Nigerians for real either offline or online.

And due to long existence of NL, we've succeeded in influencing few minorities from other parts of the world to think and talk like us. But so far, I must say 80% of this influence has been on the negative side of life. We've got to change --first, ourselves and then other Nigerians around us and the world at large. We've got to change our whole thinking process so that our tongues can also change. We've got to be real people both online and offline. I am not claiming to be innocent of some bad manners here or how the Nigerian/NL community has influence me but we must all start making conscious efforts to redeem our image and change for the better. NL represents Nigeria and Nigerians and we here must seek to represent our country and ourselves well. No matter how rough and bad Nigeria may be, it'll still be ours. So rather than allowing it always go viral in the negative light, I believe we can do something especially through various online forums. All these bad news emanating from Nigeria and even here on NL make things difficult for us both here and in the outside world. I believe if only a fifty people for instance can renew their minds through this thread each from different states of Nigeria [and even those in Diaspora] would cause a big change for Nigeria and Nigerians in the nearest future. Remember, this fifty can further affects another fifty [still] each from their states and in a short while the network could spread till the whole country is covered and the main target being the youth population. So, I challenge you today to mark yourself as one in these fifty from your state and join in changing others in the positive direction. Be conscious of thinking, talking and acting right at all times. Let the change begins from here and from you.

At this point, I want to make a humble suggestion to the house about how scamming on this forum can be curbed. Many loves NL to the extent that they even unconsciously depose some trusts to other members in the forum without knowing till they get bitten and then realize that they were dealing with strangers.
To this end, am suggesting that Seun should act as intermediary (escrow) in all business transactions on this forum. Failure of any member to pass through him would be at the person's risk. This would be done exactly like what is obtainable in a site like aliexpress..dot..com where money cannot get to any seller of product until the buyer receives such product and even confirms it to be in good conditions. Seun then can use any online banking platform to initiate a transfer of funds to the seller. A feedback thread would then be created to receive feedbacks from buyers. I believe Seun can be trusted to ensure that nobody gets scammed again. NL can be made to grow so big more than what anyone can imagine. This I think can actually be possible. It just a matter of creating a form for prospective buyers of any product to fill and then the business roles out. Seun, hope if this comes to materialize, you would give me 1% of every successful transaction and keep 10% for yourself while 89% goes to the seller. Lolz.

Folks, please, let's always think about our personal contributions toward redeeming the image of our beloved country. Once again, wishing you Merry Xmas and a Happy New Year in advance. Love you all!!!

Am sorry the post is a long one but thank God you were able to bear with it till the end.

Would like you to read this too:
Nairaland: A Land Of Equal Opportunities found here:
https://www.nairaland.com/1136679/nairaland-land-equal-opportunities

2 Likes

Re: My Humble Suggestion On Curbing The Menace Of Scamming On Nairaland by Nobody: 5:39pm On Dec 24, 2012
Very good and brilliant suggestion.

The escrow service will actually kill two birds with one stone.

1. It will ensure a scam free environment for Nairaland.

2. Seun will get to make money from it.
Re: My Humble Suggestion On Curbing The Menace Of Scamming On Nairaland by Nobody: 5:41pm On Dec 24, 2012
Very good and brilliant suggestion.

The escrow service will actually kill two birds with one stone.

1. It will ensure a scam free environment for Nairaland.

2. Seun will get to make money from it.

That will require a lot of work but I know its possible.
Re: My Humble Suggestion On Curbing The Menace Of Scamming On Nairaland by Pacemaker: 12:34pm On Dec 25, 2012
Brilliant write up yet it attracted few response, another reason an outsider would rather be friends with Dogs that Naijas

1 Like

Re: My Humble Suggestion On Curbing The Menace Of Scamming On Nairaland by code0: 5:57pm On Dec 25, 2012
Pacemaker: Brilliant write up yet it attracted few response, another reason an outsider would rather be friends with Dogs that Naijas

Should I say you are correct? Yes, you are bro. Nigerian people don't even deserve this kind of person among them. The guy is too high to stay with them. Then, this is supposed to be a thread that should make the frontpage yet it's not. It tells you how even the moderators of NL thinks. The guy is just good.
Re: My Humble Suggestion On Curbing The Menace Of Scamming On Nairaland by Booty4me: 9:05pm On Dec 25, 2012
I laugh in swahili.. Escrow indeed.. U think say seun Get time

1 Like

Re: My Humble Suggestion On Curbing The Menace Of Scamming On Nairaland by Nobody: 9:33pm On Dec 25, 2012
Pacemaker: Brilliant write up yet it attracted few response, another reason an outsider would rather be friends with Dogs that Naijas

dont worry, it will soon be on front page nl style
Re: My Humble Suggestion On Curbing The Menace Of Scamming On Nairaland by Nobody: 11:15pm On Dec 25, 2012
babaearly:

Lets wait and see.
Re: My Humble Suggestion On Curbing The Menace Of Scamming On Nairaland by Nobody: 11:15pm On Dec 25, 2012
babaearly:

Lets wait and see.

Keeping my fingers crossed.
Re: My Humble Suggestion On Curbing The Menace Of Scamming On Nairaland by question(m): 5:25am On Dec 26, 2012
The Escrow will scam both buyer and seller.

1 Like

Re: My Humble Suggestion On Curbing The Menace Of Scamming On Nairaland by FXKing2012(m): 5:31am On Dec 26, 2012
What the business section needs is a no-nonsense mod. On that note I nominate FXKing2012 in order to put an end to scammers infilterating this section.
Re: My Humble Suggestion On Curbing The Menace Of Scamming On Nairaland by dubezra: 9:46am On Dec 26, 2012
from the person that set up this thread to the pple supporting all fail to understand that the moderators have allready made it clear that this section is not a place to buy stuffs(transactions).u are trying to play against da rule n seeking assistance to play agaist it.so u knw of d likes of alibaexpress,ebay,feverr e.t.c n u don't go there to buy or pay 4 services.
Re: My Humble Suggestion On Curbing The Menace Of Scamming On Nairaland by FXKing2012(m): 10:26am On Dec 26, 2012
Re: My Humble Suggestion On Curbing The Menace Of Scamming On Nairaland by eyenCalabar(m): 12:45pm On Dec 26, 2012
dubezra: from the person that set up this thread to the pple supporting all fail to understand that the moderators have allready made it clear that this section is not a place to buy stuffs(transactions).u are trying to play against da rule n seeking assistance to play agaist it.so u knw of d likes of alibaexpress,ebay,feverr e.t.c n u don't go there to buy or pay 4 services.

So does it mean it can't be done? Since circumstances have called for it, I believe Seun and his team can rise to the challenge. The forum can be repackaged to cater for all these. The thing is just simple: pay your money to Seun and Seun would pay me when you confirm your good(s) that it got to you in good conditions. Personally, I can handle this but I can't just come in like that to do it. NL can be made to be all encompassing. Seun should just take advantage of this idea and stop these criminals.
Re: My Humble Suggestion On Curbing The Menace Of Scamming On Nairaland by eyenCalabar(m): 12:49pm On Dec 26, 2012
FXKing2012: What the business section needs is a no-nonsense mod. On that note I nominate FXKing2012 in order to put an end to scammers infilterating this section.

You can't nominate yourself. Is only people that believe you can do it that can nominate you.

1 Like

Re: My Humble Suggestion On Curbing The Menace Of Scamming On Nairaland by eyenCalabar(m): 12:55pm On Dec 26, 2012
question: The Escrow will scam both buyer and seller.

How? Why? More light please afterall we need solution. You can as well bring up more ideas. All we want is an end to all these scam news and make business in NL risk free.
Re: My Humble Suggestion On Curbing The Menace Of Scamming On Nairaland by Nobody: 2:40pm On Dec 26, 2012
dubezra: from the person that set up this thread to the pple supporting all fail to understand that the moderators have allready made it clear that this section is not a place to buy stuffs(transactions).u are trying to play against da rule n seeking assistance to play agaist it.so u knw of d likes of alibaexpress,ebay,feverr e.t.c n u don't go there to buy or pay 4 services.

That is not entirely true. If you take a closer look at the Business sections, you will see the following subsections:

1. Business to Business(A market for corporate suppliers and buyers).

2. Adverts(Announcements, Commercial posts and Public notices).

There is even a Technology Market in the Technology section and this is what it says:

Technoloy Market: (Buy and sell Phones, Computers and PC Accessories).

From the foreggoing it means that at least in these subsections, adverts are not only allowed, but also encouraged.

I do business on Nairaland and I know the number of cllients I have got from here alone. What the OP said is very, very relevant and important.

Nairaland is currently the most visited website in Nigeria and this is a strenght that Seun must take advantage of

We need a kind of system that will protect both buyers and sellers, and if this kind of system is successfully put in place, I bet you Nairaland will not only be the Number commerce site in Nigeria, but also all over Africa.
Re: My Humble Suggestion On Curbing The Menace Of Scamming On Nairaland by Nobody: 2:43pm On Dec 26, 2012
If Nairaland does not do something about scammers on this website, this might turn out to be their undoing.
Re: My Humble Suggestion On Curbing The Menace Of Scamming On Nairaland by Chrisvicmall: 2:59pm On Dec 26, 2012
You raise a nice issue but you have to understand that nairaland is a forum. You won't expect Nairaland to start its own news paper because more than 50 percent of the traffic comes from politics section, nor will you expect him to turn into dating site because some folks have spent their whole eternity on that section.What you mention is an e-commerce function
My advice to people

Next time you want to purchase from someone or your friend wants to purchase from someone but afraid of whether the person is genuine , tell the seller to upload the product on Chrisvicmall website, you can purchase the product from there and the seller won't touch your money until he/she deliver the product to you and you confirm it. Even after purchasing the product, you still have 100% control over your money because when the seller fails to deliver the product, you will cancel the order and your money goes back to you.

Seun, I think it is high time we partner with each other. You can endorse us as Nigeria ebay,aliexpress,amazon version since both foreigners and Nigerian business people can sell their products on the Chrisvicmall platform without the fear of being scam. Put us permanently on the front page, and go into contract with us.
Re: My Humble Suggestion On Curbing The Menace Of Scamming On Nairaland by eyenCalabar(m): 4:27pm On Dec 26, 2012
Chrisvicmall: You raise a nice issue but you have to understand that nairaland is a forum. You won't expect Nairaland to start its own news paper because more than 50 percent of the traffic comes from politics section, nor will you expect him to turn into dating site because some folks have spent their whole eternity on that section.What you mention is an e-commerce function
My advice to people

Next time you want to purchase from someone or your friend wants to purchase from someone but afraid of whether the person is genuine , tell the seller to upload the product on Chrisvicmall website, you can purchase the product from there and the seller won't touch your money until he/she deliver the product to you and you confirm it. Even after purchasing the product, you still have 100% control over your money because when the seller fails to deliver the product, you will cancel the order and your money goes back to you.

Seun, I think it is high time we partner with each other. You can endorse us as Nigeria ebay,aliexpress,amazon version since both foreigners and Nigerian business people can sell their products on the Chrisvicmall platform without the fear of being scam. Put us permanently on the front page, and go into contract with us.

Well, I think you have a point but this is Nairaland not chrisvicmall. It is possible to incorporate all these features here irrespective of whether NL is just a forum or not. Except you are telling us that there are laws governing what Seun/NL should/should not do. You see desperate times calls for desperate measures. Atimes, one needs to go out of the box to get some things done.

1 Like

Re: My Humble Suggestion On Curbing The Menace Of Scamming On Nairaland by Nobody: 4:29pm On Dec 26, 2012
To me this doesn't make any sense,did any one show U̶̲̥̅̊ a gun to pay money into his or her account? If U̶̲̥̅̊ pay money to any one without confirming its @ ur own risk.
Re: My Humble Suggestion On Curbing The Menace Of Scamming On Nairaland by eyenCalabar(m): 5:01pm On Dec 26, 2012
wahabian: To me this doesn't make any sense,did any one show U̶̲̥̅̊ a gun to pay money into his or her account? If U̶̲̥̅̊ pay money to any one without confirming its @ ur own risk.

Brother, you must learn to talk like one living in a civilized society. We are talking about protecting the image of this forum and Nigeria as a whole. The menace can be curbed. You don't have to blame one for trying to depose some trusts on the other --No! Think of the possibility of this suggestion to protect people in their business transactions here. We can do it.
Re: My Humble Suggestion On Curbing The Menace Of Scamming On Nairaland by Nobody: 5:42pm On Dec 26, 2012
Guy,ђã†̥ u guys are saying I̶̲̥̅̊s̶̲̥̅̊ not reasonable,this I̶̲̥̅̊s̶̲̥̅̊ a forum,not a business website.Forums are all over the web,u cant restrict (to an extent)ђã†̥ any one decides to post.I believe most people that fall for scam are simply greedy,"make one million in 2wks,pay into my acct Johnson Emeka" we see things like this everyday and pple keep on paying !!! Why the hell won't they be scammed? Don't get me wrong,I'm not an ITK,neither am I unconcerned about Nigeria's image,I'm just dissapointed @ how greedy some pple can be.
Re: My Humble Suggestion On Curbing The Menace Of Scamming On Nairaland by eyenCalabar(m): 10:29pm On Dec 26, 2012
wahabian: Guy,ђã†̥ u guys are saying I̶̲̥̅̊s̶̲̥̅̊ not reasonable,this I̶̲̥̅̊s̶̲̥̅̊ a forum,not a business website.Forums are all over the web,u cant restrict (to an extent)ђã†̥ any one decides to post.I believe most people that fall for scam are simply greedy,"make one million in 2wks,pay into my acct Johnson Emeka" we see things like this everyday and pple keep on paying !!! Why the hell won't they be scammed? Don't get me wrong,I'm not an ITK,neither am I unconcerned about Nigeria's image,I'm just dissapointed @ how greedy some pple can be.

It's ok bro. I understand that some people could be greedy but in the midst of this, there are genuine businesses one can do here. As far as we have the business section, I think there should be some form of protection that should be put in place for risk-free transactions to interested members.
Re: My Humble Suggestion On Curbing The Menace Of Scamming On Nairaland by Nobody: 10:59pm On Dec 26, 2012
K
Re: My Humble Suggestion On Curbing The Menace Of Scamming On Nairaland by afolabisegun(m): 3:57am On Dec 27, 2012
Its a welcome Idea.. I really support, @ least buyer and sellers can make business transaction without fear and also develop more trust to order or sell any product
Re: My Humble Suggestion On Curbing The Menace Of Scamming On Nairaland by FXKing2012(m): 8:07am On Dec 27, 2012
Here is the list of known scammers on nairaland, pls beware!
www.nairaland.com/1142530/list-known-scammers-nairaland-pls
Re: My Humble Suggestion On Curbing The Menace Of Scamming On Nairaland by udemzyudex(m): 10:11am On Dec 27, 2012
good point @ op,but the way i see this i don't think seun will be ready to do this...my own suggestion is that,if some one can create a site where pple can sell and buy then the link to the site will be posted on nairaland..the site might look like a-m-zon or ali-ex-pr-ess, thats where i believe the escrow system will work...
Re: My Humble Suggestion On Curbing The Menace Of Scamming On Nairaland by code0: 12:46pm On Dec 27, 2012
udemzy_udex: good point @ op,but the way i see this i don't think seun will be ready to do this...my own suggestion is that,if some one can create a site where pple can sell and buy then the link to the site will be posted on nairaland..the site might look like a-m-zon or ali-ex-pr-ess, thats where i believe the escrow system will work...

I don't think the site must look so pimped like amazon/aliexpress before it can work. It can also works here. Just like the Op said, a form can actually be use between parties involved. As a seller, you may be required to describe your product: specs and features, state the price, state the state/condition of it, tell how many days it'll get to the buyer depending on location, give your bank a/c details etc and the buyer would then enter into a discussion/negotiation with you and finally when the money is to be paid, it is sent to the person's a/c standing as the middle man/escrower. The escrower would then enter into communication with the buyer through e-mail/calls and ensures the product gets to him from the shipping company. The buyer on confirming would then send a mail/call the escrower that he has receive the product in good shape and then money is transferred to the seller. This I think is just the summary of what this poster want which is not too hard for Seun and his men. Or he can put himself forward to do it if NL can trust him. But I think Seun should come and say something here. And again, his feedback thread too would be created for others to learn/know about it.
Re: My Humble Suggestion On Curbing The Menace Of Scamming On Nairaland by lomzy1(m): 8:02pm On Dec 27, 2012
Am an internet marketer and I strongly support this idea. Both buyers and sellers would be safe to a large extent.
I also suggest a commission/percentage should be paid to seun or nairaland team that would be in charge of d process for any successful transaction. This will add value to the whole idea.
It is highly comendable
Re: My Humble Suggestion On Curbing The Menace Of Scamming On Nairaland by eyenCalabar(m): 8:45pm On Dec 27, 2012
code_0:

I don't think the site must look so pimped like amazon/aliexpress before it can work. It can also works here. Just like the Op said, a form can actually be use between parties involved. As a seller, you may be required to describe your product: specs and features, state the price, state the state/condition of it, tell how many days it'll get to the buyer depending on location, give your bank a/c details etc and the buyer would then enter into a discussion/negotiation with you and finally when the money is to be paid, it is sent to the person's a/c standing as the middle man/escrower. The escrower would then enter into communication with the buyer through e-mail/calls and ensures the product gets to him from the shipping company. The buyer on confirming would then send a mail/call the escrower that he has receive the product in good shape and then money is transferred to the seller. This I think is just the summary of what this poster want which is not too hard for Seun and his men. Or he can put himself forward to do it if NL can trust him. But I think Seun should come and say something here. And again, his feedback thread too would be created for others to learn/know about it.

I think we are getting there. Am happy you guys are buying into the idea. You've gotten almost all the plans. Thanks.
Re: My Humble Suggestion On Curbing The Menace Of Scamming On Nairaland by eyenCalabar(m): 8:51pm On Dec 27, 2012
lomzy1: Am an internet marketer and I strongly support this idea. Both buyers and sellers would be safe to a large extent.
I also suggest a commission/percentage should be paid to seun or nairaland team that would be in charge of d process for any successful transaction. This will add value to the whole idea.
It is highly comendable

Definitely, it can't be done free because it'll involve some work. All the same, thanks for buying into the idea.

(1) (2) (Reply)

How To Determine A Business Location / I Want To Become A Mobile Money Agent / Looking For Foodstuff In Large Quantities

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.