Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,217 members, 7,818,744 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:53 PM

Igbo Presidency: Why Not? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Igbo Presidency: Why Not? (1793 Views)

Senate Presidency: Why I Boycotted Apc Primary Election – Bukola Saraki / Igbo Presidency Not Feasible In 2015 – Junaid / Iwuanyanwu Dismisses Igbo Presidency In 2015 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Igbo Presidency: Why Not? by BBPREYEgarri: 8:02am On Dec 25, 2012
Why has the power mongers in Nigeria, decided never to give an igbo man the chance?
Why was Sir Dr. Peter Odili denied the VP ticket? Was he really an igbo man?
Why do Nigerians see igbos as dubios people?
Will an igbo man be a better president than all others?
Will Nigeria break up the day an igbo man rules?
Why are the igbos not fighting for the seat?
Why were they displaced from the Senate President seat?

In your own view, what is really wrong with the igbo race?

The floor is open!
Re: Igbo Presidency: Why Not? by Nobody: 8:13am On Dec 25, 2012
BBPREYEgarri: Why has the power mongers in Nigeria, decided never to give an igbo man the chance?
Why was Sir Dr. Peter Odili denied the VP ticket? Was he really an igbo man?
Why do Nigerians see igbos as dubios people?
Will an igbo man be a better president than all others?
Will Nigeria break up the day an igbo man rules?
Why are the igbos not fighting for the seat?
Why were they displaced from the Senate President seat?

In your own view, what is really wrong with the igbo race?

The floor is open!

Because they are....and because of that correct notion about them ...Nigerians generally don't trust and like the Biafrans among them and those constitute the majority.
Re: Igbo Presidency: Why Not? by Ikengawo: 8:21am On Dec 25, 2012
due to igbo culture, igbo land has the most credible stock of leadership in the country.
In hausa land blood and force can make you important
in yoruba land blood wealth and political dexterity can make you a king

i'm not trying to insult any of the other regions but igbo land is alone in being the only region where you have to earn your rank and it dies with you.
Wealth won't give it to you either. You can buy a chieftancy, and buy your way to the top but if the people aren't behind you your word doesn't matter.

For instance, Odili will never speak before Chinua Achebe, or Ojukwu because the later have 'achieved' more credible things.

I feel that Odili would have been a horrible president because he was imposed on his state by OBJ and corrupt and ndigbo themselves have rejected him as a leader, but every sector that an igbo has been allowed to run has excelled exponentially. We have a very large stock of hardworking and knowledgeable technocrats that are admired the world over. It's only in Nigeria that they're not given space to make an impact. The man that invented the internet and underwater oil mapping was once in the biafran army as a scientist. meanwhile nigeria needs foreigners to find her oil and run dogshit sites like Nairaland.

I think Tony Elumelu , would be an excellent president for the nation. He's philosophical, modern, gets things done, and understands the new global system more than many i can name. Or if we want to focus on power for the next few years professor Barth Nnaji.
Nigeria's current economic growth can be credited, on the government level, to Okonjo Iweala, though idk how other regions will react to a female president.

I dont think the other regions are against an igbo presidency, it's just no real candidate has ever been presented. Nigerias military did it's self a disservice not allowing Okorocha and Ekwueme to run and instead picking Obansanjo who tore the nation to pieces.

1 Like

Re: Igbo Presidency: Why Not? by outrage: 8:26am On Dec 25, 2012
So that the dash every seat available to you kinsmen?? Just like customs recruitment?? No thank you!

Don't want to recruit terrorist, imagine.. Madam what of recruiting kidnappers? Huh?

2 Likes

Re: Igbo Presidency: Why Not? by Ikengawo: 8:32am On Dec 25, 2012
you're not healthy
Re: Igbo Presidency: Why Not? by Nobody: 8:43am On Dec 25, 2012
Igbo presidency? I rather have a Biafra Republic!

1 Like

Re: Igbo Presidency: Why Not? by DuduNegro: 8:45am On Dec 25, 2012
aah, Igbo presidency, what is that

i reserve this spot to comment on 26th.
Re: Igbo Presidency: Why Not? by Caseless: 8:46am On Dec 25, 2012
It will be nice this topic is dissected disintrestedly, no tribal war pls. I'm sure that's not what the op had in mind before bringing this up. Ok!

The question should be 'who is the best candidate for the job' and not which tribe or religion.

We're so displaced to 'let somebody from my religion/tribe rule' and throwing away what such person shld have as a requirement before he/she cud be considered.
Re: Igbo Presidency: Why Not? by Caseless: 8:48am On Dec 25, 2012
berem: Igbo presidency? I rather have a Biafra Republic!
isn't this a wild-goose chase? We can together make it better....nigeria wil be great.

2 Likes

Re: Igbo Presidency: Why Not? by Caseless: 8:50am On Dec 25, 2012
ilugunboy: .

hmmmmm.....how far?
Re: Igbo Presidency: Why Not? by Afam4eva(m): 8:58am On Dec 25, 2012
Isn't BBpreye supposed to be an Igbo hater?

@topic
I don't think anyone would have any problem with an Igbo president if Igbos were like other groups in Nigeria. Unfortunately, most Igbos are mavericks and are unpredictable and it will be detrimental to the powers that be who want to retain the status quo. The difference between an Igbo man and others can be seen in this scenario that happened:

In Northern Nigeria, people like IBB, Danjuma, Sultan etc are power brokers in the north and whoever wants to become the president especially from the north have to be in the good books of these people. And it has been like that for so long and the same godfathers have remained godfathers. That's because Northern Nigeria is run and controlled by a few whose words are yeah and amen.

In Yorubaland, we had powerful men like Adedibu and Tinubu. Adedibu was the most powerful man in Oyo politics and could remove any governor who falls out of favour with him. He did it to ? Tinubu is also powerful in Lagos and controls the political machinery of the state and even the SW.

Now, in Igboland, people are not really into all these godfatherism ish. They might use these godfathers to enter a political office and dump them as soon as they get the political power. Jim Nwobodo was instrumental to Chimaroake becoming the governor of Enugu state but upon getting there, Chimaroake rendered him totally useless. Chimaroake also put Sullivan Chime to become the governor after him thinking that Chime would continue worshipping him the way Fashola is doing to Tinubu, but as soon as Chime got there, he also gave Chimaroake the same treatment Chima gave to Jim Nwobodo. Also ask yourself where Chris Uba is. In Igboland there's no powerful individual. That's because Igbos have always been egalitarian and individualistic.

With this scenario, you can see that allowing an Igbo man to become president may be detrimental, not to Nigerians but to the ruling class who want the status quo to remain. If you put an Orji Uzor kalu there dfor example just know know that some people will go to jail starting from Obasanjo. They won't owe anybody any allegiance. That's the memoir of the average Igbo man.

Though they could find an Igbo man in the mold of Yaradua or Jonathan who can be toyed with.

1 Like

Re: Igbo Presidency: Why Not? by Fatdon(m): 9:04am On Dec 25, 2012
Hit Like If You Are A Proud Igbo.

5 Likes

Re: Igbo Presidency: Why Not? by Nobody: 9:18am On Dec 25, 2012
Keep dreaming for nigeria to be great when things have already fallen apart.ON BIAFRA WE STAND!
caseless: isn't this a wild-goose chase? We can together make it better....nigeria wil be great.
Re: Igbo Presidency: Why Not? by Caseless: 9:26am On Dec 25, 2012
berem: Keep dreaming for nigeria to be great when things have already fallen apart.ON BIAFRA WE STAND!
then, it appears u are standing on nothing for now.

Now, tell me, if it happens that the imaginary biafra comes to reality, and possibly things fall apart in biafra, where do u go to?
Re: Igbo Presidency: Why Not? by Caseless: 9:33am On Dec 25, 2012
Afam4eva, are u putting yaradua and jonathan on thesame scale? U cant even compare them. Jonathan can easily be toyed with than yaradu can. When he(umy) came in, u knw how he handled obj's privatisation of refineries and he reversed so many things obj put in place in less than a week. Can ur gej do that?

2 Likes

Re: Igbo Presidency: Why Not? by Afam4eva(m): 9:38am On Dec 25, 2012
caseless: Afam4eva, are u putting yaradua and jonathan on thesame scale? U cant even compare them. Jonathan can easily be toyed with than yaradu can. When he(umy) came in, u knw how he handled obj's privatisation of refineries and he reversed so many things obj put in place in less than a week. Can ur gej do that?
I'm not putting them on the same scale but just comparing them with what an average Igbo man would do. An average Igbo man is stubborn.

1 Like

Re: Igbo Presidency: Why Not? by BBPREYEgarri: 9:42am On Dec 25, 2012
afam4eva: Isn't BBpreye supposed to be an Igbo hater?

@topic
I don't think anyone would have any problem with an Igbo president if Igbos were like other groups in Nigeria. Unfortunately, most Igbos are mavericks and are unpredictable and it will be detrimental to the powers that be who want to retain the status quo. The difference between an Igbo man and others can be seen in this scenario that happened:

In Northern Nigeria, people like IBB, Danjuma, Sultan etc are power brokers in the north and whoever wants to become the president especially from the north have to be in the good books of these people. And it has been like that for so long and the same godfathers have remained godfathers. That's because Northern Nigeria is run and controlled by a few whose words are yeah and amen.

In Yorubaland, we had powerful men like Adedibu and Tinubu. Adedibu was the most powerful man in Oyo politics and could remove any governor who falls out of favour with him. He did it to ? Tinubu is also powerful in Lagos and controls the political machinery of the state and even the SW.

Now, in Igboland, people are not really into all these godfatherism ish. They might use these godfathers to enter a political office and dump them as soon as they get the political power. Jim Nwobodo was instrumental to Chimaroake becoming the governor of Enugu state but upon getting there, Chimaroake rendered him totally useless. Chimaroake also put Sullivan Chime to become the governor after him thinking that Chime would continue worshipping him the way Fashola is doing to Tinubu, but as soon as Chime got there, he also gave Chimaroake the same treatment Chima gave to Jim Nwobodo. Also ask yourself where Chris Uba is. In Igboland there's no powerful individual. That's because Igbos have always been egalitarian and individualistic.

With this scenario, you can see that allowing an Igbo man to become president may be detrimental, not to Nigerians but to the ruling class who want the status quo to remain. If you put an Orji Uzor kalu there dfor example just know know that some people will go to jail starting from Obasanjo. They won't owe anybody any allegiance. That's the memoir of the average Igbo man.

Though they could find an Igbo man in the mold of Yaradua or Jonathan who can be toyed with.

I am a full time IJAW man, a distant cousin to GEJ. His Grandfather's, uncle's, in-law's, mother's, brother's son. I don't hate igbos. Infact I schooled in igbo land! I love them.. The only thing I detest about them is the way they speak their language to every tom, dick , and harry, not considering the fact that u are not igbo! That is the digusting thing about them.

Pls this thread is not meant for tribal wars, we are here to debate a very simple topic! IJAW a minority group has achieved what the igbo man has been dreaming about! what is so complex about the igbo race that Nigerians fear? You guys are not telling us the truth!

2 Likes

Re: Igbo Presidency: Why Not? by Nobody: 9:46am On Dec 25, 2012
Things will never fall apart in Biafra! Igbos have been clamouring for Biafra for more than 4 decades.so why should it fall apart when it is finally achieved?
caseless: then, it appears u are standing on nothing for now.

Now, tell me, if it happens that the imaginary biafra comes to reality, and possibly things fall apart in biafra, where do u go to?
Re: Igbo Presidency: Why Not? by Afam4eva(m): 9:48am On Dec 25, 2012
This is a great topic. Pls let's not make it about Biafra.
Re: Igbo Presidency: Why Not? by ba7man(m): 9:52am On Dec 25, 2012
An educated de-tribalized Igbo will be a blessing to this Country if allowed to rule. I just hope his kins-men will let him rule effectively and not distract him with traditional requests because..."He's our son".
Re: Igbo Presidency: Why Not? by Afam4eva(m): 9:55am On Dec 25, 2012
ba7man: An educated de-tribalized Igbo will be a blessing to this Country if allowed to rule. I just hope his kins-men will let him rule effectively and not distract him with traditional requests because..."He's our son".
This applies to every ethnic group. Are the ijaws not currently calling GEJ their son? is it only a crime if Igbos do it? If my son becomes president does it stop him from being my son?

1 Like

Re: Igbo Presidency: Why Not? by Nobody: 9:57am On Dec 25, 2012
caseless: hmmmmm.....how far?

Merry Xmas bro!

Pls I need to fix things in my house...guests will start showing up soon.

Enjoy the thread.
Re: Igbo Presidency: Why Not? by Nobody: 10:01am On Dec 25, 2012
BBPREYEgarri: The only thing I detest about them is the way they speak their language to every tom, dicck , and harry, not considering the fact that u are not igbo! That is the digusting thing about them.

hiaa! Cant believe you just wrote this! Because you dont understand or speak igbo makes it disgusting? "shakes my head and walks out of thread"
Re: Igbo Presidency: Why Not? by EzePromoe: 10:07am On Dec 25, 2012
Re: Igbo Presidency: Why Not? by lacasa: 10:08am On Dec 25, 2012
The Biafra thing always comes to mind & works against 'em undecided

1 Like

Re: Igbo Presidency: Why Not? by BBPREYEgarri: 10:18am On Dec 25, 2012
berem: hiaa! Cant believe you just wrote this! Because you dont understand or speak igbo makes it disgusting? "shakes my head and walks out of thread"

If I approach u and start speaking Ijaw for you, when I know you don't understand the language, how will you feel? Even when u tell me u don't understand, I see you the next day and I do thesame thing! Won't you just feel irritated and walk out on me?

That's what they always do! Igbos! Its so annoying!
Re: Igbo Presidency: Why Not? by Afam4eva(m): 10:21am On Dec 25, 2012
BBPREYEgarri:

If I approach u and start speaking Ijaw for you, when I know you don't understand the language, how will you feel? Even when u tell me u don't understand, I see you the next day and I do thesame thing! Won't you just feel irritated and walk out on me?

If this is what you have against Igbos then it means you should have the same thing against every ethnic group in Nigeria. Who doesn't do it? Yorubas do it, Hausas do it etc.
Re: Igbo Presidency: Why Not? by EzePromoe: 10:26am On Dec 25, 2012
BBPREYEgarri:

That's the same case with the Hausas and the minorities in the north but the minorities tends to cope with that. Please can't we forsake this tribalistic speech today and be in the mood of the season.

1 Like

Re: Igbo Presidency: Why Not? by BBPREYEgarri: 10:33am On Dec 25, 2012
Eze Promoe:
That's the same case with the Hausas and the minorities in the north but the minorities tends to cope with that. Please can't we forsake this tribalistic speech today and be in the mood of the season.

Oya naaaa.. MERRY CHRISTMAs to all Nairalanders and all the GARRI COMANDOOS! Even as u celebrete remember killing is killing! Murder is murder! Whether na chicken or na Human being! So be wise and have fun this season!

Back to topic: the Senate President's seat was a litmus test to cee how the igbos will manage such a high responsibility! And what happened, they started betraying themselves, and the seat was taken away! Is that how they hope to manage the Presidency if it is given to them?

You guys are not telling us something..
Re: Igbo Presidency: Why Not? by Afam4eva(m): 10:38am On Dec 25, 2012
BBPREYEgarri:

Oya naaaa.. MERRY CHRISTMAs to all Nairalanders and all the GARRI COMANDOOS! Even as u celebrete remember killing is killing! Murder is murder! Whether na chicken or na Human being! So be wise and have fun this season!

Back to topic: the Senate President's seat was a litmus test to cee how the igbos will manage such a high responsibility! And what happened, they started betraying themselves, and the seat was taken away! Is that how they hope to manage the Presidency if it is given to them?

You guys are not telling us something..
It seems before opening this thread, you've already made up your mind on what you want to hear. I know you want to hear "Igbos are not united". Oya, knock yourself out.
Re: Igbo Presidency: Why Not? by EzePromoe: 10:38am On Dec 25, 2012
@BBpreye
These three groups are influential groups and are more addicted to their language than other minorities. I was born in Lagos and the 12 months i once spent in my hometown, I knew what it was like. It was like being in another world/country, where everything was done in a language which I didn't grew with. I remembered then some teachers, pastors etc, don't know how to speak English, if they could not fluently. Because you don't value your cultural heritage don't make others be likewise.
Re: Igbo Presidency: Why Not? by naptu2: 10:43am On Dec 25, 2012
Do you mean a President of Nigeria of
Igbo extraction or an Igbo President?

Anyway, the National Party of Nigeria (NPN) adopted the poliçy of rotational presidency. Alhaji Shehu Shagari was president and Dr Alex Ekwueme was vice-president. It was expected that Dr Ekwueme would take over after the 1987 elections. However the 1983/84 coup spoilt that plan.

Personally, I want us to have a competent and patriotic president. I don't give a damn where he's from.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

An Open Letter To The Vc University Of Ibadan / Omotola Husband’s Scrap Plane Causes Panic In Lagos / Apc Still Leading In Anambra Election- New Results

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.