Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,726 members, 7,809,768 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:33 PM

Praying Loudly Vs Praying Quietly: What Do You Guys Think. - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Praying Loudly Vs Praying Quietly: What Do You Guys Think. (33850 Views)

U.s-based Liberian Pastor’s Wife Fined For Praying Too Loudly Outdoors / Gay-friendly Mosque Opens Quietly In South Africa / Is It Necessary To Pray Loudly And Aggressively? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Praying Loudly Vs Praying Quietly: What Do You Guys Think. by tomzman: 9:37am On Dec 26, 2012
Hey guys!
I need your opinions on this.Some people believe that praying loudly makes God know you are serious.Others view it as a sign of maturity in Christ.Some churches even say praying loudly makes God answer your prayers faster.

So let's discuss.What do you guys think.Biblical references will be appreciated.

1 Like

Re: Praying Loudly Vs Praying Quietly: What Do You Guys Think. by Nobody: 10:19am On Dec 26, 2012
quietly all d way

8 Likes

Re: Praying Loudly Vs Praying Quietly: What Do You Guys Think. by Heatblast(m): 10:28am On Dec 26, 2012
Tho I'm not a christian, this was a question that bothered me when I was. When I was little(in a pentecostal church), my sunday school teacher would was always insisting that she must hear us pray out loud(it suposedly made demons scared of us and made god hear our prayers faster)... They would also use this "a shut mouth is a shut destiny" to threaten us.

But to my suprise this verse contradicted their teachings
Mat 6:6: But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret, and thy Father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly.

Today, you'll see so many xtians screaming and shouting all in the name of personal prayer

Even the so called praying in tounges is a contradiction to this verse
Mat 6:7: But when ye pray, use not vain repetitions, as the heathen [do]: for they think that they shall be heard for their much speaking.

Today you'll see so many christians shouting:
ba ba ba ba.. Bo bo bo bo... Ray ray ray ray x100

And the last verse to prove my point;
Mat 6:8: Be not ye therefore like unto them: for your Father knoweth what things ye have need of, before ye ask him.

59 Likes

Re: Praying Loudly Vs Praying Quietly: What Do You Guys Think. by Heatblast(m): 10:30am On Dec 26, 2012
If a christian would come with another bible verse on why they should pray out loud, I won't be suprised cause the bible is full of contradictions

13 Likes

Re: Praying Loudly Vs Praying Quietly: What Do You Guys Think. by tomzman: 10:30am On Dec 26, 2012
mawojuuche: quietly all d way

why do you say so? please elaborate.

keep the comments coming!
Re: Praying Loudly Vs Praying Quietly: What Do You Guys Think. by tomzman: 10:49am On Dec 26, 2012
Heatblast: If a christian would come with another bible verse on why they should pray out loud, I won't be suprised cause the bible is full of contradictions

There are questions I Would love to ask you but I don't want to derail the thread.I'll save them for another thread.
Comments appreciated though!

Keep them coming!
Re: Praying Loudly Vs Praying Quietly: What Do You Guys Think. by Image123(m): 6:55pm On Dec 26, 2012
the two are good, it depends on situations and what you're demanding.

2 Likes

Re: Praying Loudly Vs Praying Quietly: What Do You Guys Think. by tobechi20(m): 8:41pm On Dec 26, 2012
God isnt deaf.,why shout?

15 Likes

Re: Praying Loudly Vs Praying Quietly: What Do You Guys Think. by advocate666: 8:47pm On Dec 26, 2012
Heatblast: If a christian would come with another bible verse on why they should pray out loud, I won't be suprised cause the bible is full of contradictions

There are many instances, especially in the old testament. But consider this about Jizz-Us himslef.

Hebrews 5:7

7 In the days of his flesh, Jesus offered up prayers and supplications, with loud cries and tears, to him who was able to save him from death, and he was heard because of his reverence.

10 Likes

Re: Praying Loudly Vs Praying Quietly: What Do You Guys Think. by tomzman: 8:50pm On Dec 26, 2012
Image123: the two are good, it depends on situations and what you're demanding.

More explanation please.I don't seem to get your point.
Re: Praying Loudly Vs Praying Quietly: What Do You Guys Think. by tomzman: 8:57pm On Dec 26, 2012
advocate666:

There are many instances, especially in the old testament. But consider this about Jizz-Us himslef.

Hebrews 5:7

7 In the days of his flesh, Jesus offered up prayers and supplications, with loud cries and tears, to him who was able to save him from death, and he was heard because of his reverence.

So are you an advocate of "the louder you pray the faster God answers?"
Re: Praying Loudly Vs Praying Quietly: What Do You Guys Think. by advocate666: 9:38pm On Dec 26, 2012
tomzman:

So are you an advocate of "the louder you pray the faster God answers?"

No, I was only helping to show that the bible is full of itself.

2 Likes

Re: Praying Loudly Vs Praying Quietly: What Do You Guys Think. by Image123(m): 11:47am On Dec 27, 2012
tomzman:

More explanation please.I don't seem to get your point.
do you talk /communicate always on the same frequency, emotion and voice?

3 Likes

Re: Praying Loudly Vs Praying Quietly: What Do You Guys Think. by tomzman: 12:12pm On Dec 27, 2012
Image123:
do you talk /communicate always on the same frequency, emotion and voice?
No.But still, I don't get your point.Ok let me make it clearer to you.In what type of situations do you pray loudly or quietly and what type of demands would make you pray loudly or quietly.
Re: Praying Loudly Vs Praying Quietly: What Do You Guys Think. by Nobody: 12:45pm On Dec 27, 2012
I pray aloud in private ONLY and not too loud but enough to hear what I am saying and not fall asleep.

My Son recently told me that in a deeperlife church he attended they told them to pray loudly to prove that the students were actually praying. I told him it was nonsense.

What matters to GOD is a clean and pure heart.

"And when you pray, do not keep on babbling like pagans, for they think they will be heard because of their many words." - Matthew 6:7

God is not impressed with shouting , yelling and screaming, he can hear you whether you pray in your heart or out aloud.

4 Likes

Re: Praying Loudly Vs Praying Quietly: What Do You Guys Think. by Image123(m): 1:54pm On Dec 27, 2012
tomzman:
No.But still, I don't get your point.Ok let me make it clearer to you.In what type of situations do you pray loudly or quietly and what type of demands would make you pray loudly or quietly.
you said "no". It's same thing with God. A relationship with God is not on the same communication wavelength. You sometimes loud, sometimes/many times low voiced.
Re: Praying Loudly Vs Praying Quietly: What Do You Guys Think. by tomzman: 2:37pm On Dec 27, 2012
@frosbel
Good point.I've also been to places where prayer points are called and the leader would be like "shout the name of Jesus" and I would be like "why should I shout". I've also been in situations where I'm praying quietly and then I get tapped by an older person and they'll say "I can't hear you pray" and I'll be like "must you hear me pray" it can be so annoying.

Keep the comments coming!
Re: Praying Loudly Vs Praying Quietly: What Do You Guys Think. by aletheia(m): 2:53pm On Dec 27, 2012
@OP: To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven: . . . a time to keep silence, and a time to speak.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Praying Loudly Vs Praying Quietly: What Do You Guys Think. by AtheistD(m): 2:57pm On Dec 27, 2012
If you are praying loudly you might need to speak in tongues or everybody will know what you are praying about.

Imagine praying for forgiveness for slamming the pastors daughter out loud shocked

grin grin grin

3 Likes

Re: Praying Loudly Vs Praying Quietly: What Do You Guys Think. by tomzman: 3:02pm On Dec 27, 2012
aletheia: @OP: To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven: . . . a time to keep silence, and a time to speak.
sorry sir, I don't seem to get you.

1 Like

Re: Praying Loudly Vs Praying Quietly: What Do You Guys Think. by tomzman: 3:05pm On Dec 27, 2012
Atheist:-D:
If you are praying loudly you might need to speak in tongues or everybody will know what you are praying about.

Imagine praying for forgiveness for slamming the pastors daughter out loud shocked

grin grin grin

grin Ok Atheist. Point noted.
Re: Praying Loudly Vs Praying Quietly: What Do You Guys Think. by AtheistD(m): 3:06pm On Dec 27, 2012
aletheia: @OP: To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven: . . . a time to keep silence, and a time to speak.

Xtians and their riddles .... err.... parables.
Re: Praying Loudly Vs Praying Quietly: What Do You Guys Think. by aletheia(m): 6:59pm On Dec 27, 2012
tomzman:
sorry sir, I don't seem to get you.
Simply that, there is a time for praying out loud, and a time for silent prayer. Examples abound in the bible.

Xtians and their riddles .... err.... parables.
^
Therefore speak I to them in parables: because they seeing see not; and hearing they hear not, neither do they understand. And in them is fulfilled the prophecy of Esaias, which saith, By hearing ye shall hear, and shall not understand; and seeing ye shall see, and shall not perceive: For this people's heart is waxed gross, and their ears are dull of hearing, and their eyes they have closed; lest at any time they should see with their eyes, and hear with their ears, and should understand with their heart, and should be converted, and I should heal them.
Mat 13:13-15

1 Like

Re: Praying Loudly Vs Praying Quietly: What Do You Guys Think. by Goshen360(m): 7:04pm On Dec 27, 2012
Whatever praying, aloud or quiet; if it lacks faith/believing is empty sound that does not go beyond the roof. The Holy Spirit that helps us to pray as we do not know how and what to pray can operate aloud or quietly but we need faith and believe on our side for effective prayer. In addition, wisdom is needed in all. Religious kind of prayer that becomes public nuisance is not of Christ.

9 Likes

Re: Praying Loudly Vs Praying Quietly: What Do You Guys Think. by AtheistD(m): 7:10pm On Dec 27, 2012
aletheia:
Simply that, there is a time for praying out loud, and a time for silent prayer. Examples abound in the bible.

^
Therefore speak I to them in parables: because they seeing see not; and hearing they hear not, neither do they understand. And in them is fulfilled the prophecy of Esaias, which saith, By hearing ye shall hear, and shall not understand; and seeing ye shall see, and shall not perceive: For this people's heart is waxed gross, and their ears are dull of hearing, and their eyes they have closed; lest at any time they should see with their eyes, and hear with their ears, and should understand with their heart, and should be converted, and I should heal them.
Mat 13:13-15

I was waiting for someone to quote that nonsense. Parables serve no purpose other than to deceive. If Christ didnt interpret the parables to his disciples they would never have known the message. The language of a deceiver is neither clear nor concise. The secrecy is so that you can claim and interpret the message into multiple translations.

The bible is one BIG parable which is why there are multiple translations for every denomination. The bible allows you to do whatever you want.... incest even shocked

1 Like

Re: Praying Loudly Vs Praying Quietly: What Do You Guys Think. by aletheia(m): 7:55pm On Dec 27, 2012

I was waiting for someone to quote that nonsense. Parables serve no purpose other than to deceive. If Christ didnt interpret the parables to his disciples they would never have known the message. The language of a deceiver is neither clear nor concise. The secrecy is so that you can claim and interpret the message into multiple translations.

The bible is one BIG parable which is why there are multiple translations for every denomination. The bible allows you to do whatever you want.... incest even shocked
^
Unto the pure all things are pure: but unto them that are defiled and unbelieving is nothing pure; but even their mind and conscience is defiled. Titus 1:15

8 Likes

Re: Praying Loudly Vs Praying Quietly: What Do You Guys Think. by tomzman: 10:45pm On Dec 27, 2012
Please let's not derail this thread.

keep the comments coming!
Re: Praying Loudly Vs Praying Quietly: What Do You Guys Think. by AtheistD(m): 8:25am On Dec 29, 2012
aletheia:
^
Unto the pure all things are pure: but unto them that are defiled and unbelieving is nothing pure; but even their mind and conscience is defiled. Titus 1:15

Ok. Try speaking parables to an unbeliever and see if they buy your nonsense.
Re: Praying Loudly Vs Praying Quietly: What Do You Guys Think. by Alaafialoro(m): 10:16am On Dec 29, 2012
Either way is good. But there are situations when one is more suitable than the other. For example,you can‘t be praying at night in your home with loud voice,that will only call unnecessary attention.
Personally,I believe in praying solemnly when alone and praying as directed by the one leading the pray when with a congregation,though I pray solemnly atimes when the pray seems secretive. Praying loudly when with congregation helps atimes to revive others who might not be so spiritually matured and curb all chances of sleeping or wandering of minds.

4 Likes

Re: Praying Loudly Vs Praying Quietly: What Do You Guys Think. by AtheistD(m): 10:30am On Dec 29, 2012
Why does anyone need to pray loudly or with emotion? Can the omnipotent God not hear you or know your minds desires?

Screaming and shouting like possessed ppl is just an unfortunate by product of certain branches of xtianity. It is a psychological means to shake ppl up mentally. Once you pray aggressively you feel good about yourself. Nothing to do with the spiritual. Have you seen how ppl speak in tongues too shocked. You would expect half the ppl there to be sectioned instantly under the mental health act.

And why scream and shout commands at God? Some pray with the ferocity as if they would physically assault God if they ever met. That their prayers must be answered by fire by force!!!!!

The current practices in xtianity are breeding a new group of schizophrenics and psychologicaly impaired ppl.

7 Likes

Re: Praying Loudly Vs Praying Quietly: What Do You Guys Think. by Image123(m): 10:49am On Dec 29, 2012
grin v.funny
Re: Praying Loudly Vs Praying Quietly: What Do You Guys Think. by AtheistD(m): 10:51am On Dec 29, 2012
Image123: grin v.funny

It is no joke. Some churches are now looking like mental wards when you pass by.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Bishop Tom Samson Wears Military Outfit To Church (Photos) / Pastor Kumuyi's Son's Apology To Deeper Life (Video & Text) / Free Hymn For Redeemed Christian Church Of God (RCCG)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.