Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,604 members, 7,809,212 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:29 AM

Praying Loudly Vs Praying Quietly: What Do You Guys Think. - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Praying Loudly Vs Praying Quietly: What Do You Guys Think. (33849 Views)

U.s-based Liberian Pastor’s Wife Fined For Praying Too Loudly Outdoors / Gay-friendly Mosque Opens Quietly In South Africa / Is It Necessary To Pray Loudly And Aggressively? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Praying Loudly Vs Praying Quietly: What Do You Guys Think. by elampiro(m): 3:45pm On Jan 03, 2013
Heatblast: Tho I'm not a christian, this was a question that bothered me when I was. When I was little(in a pentecostal church), my sunday school teacher would was always insisting that she must hear us pray out loud(it suposedly made demons scared of us and made god hear our prayers faster)... They would also use this "a shut mouth is a shut destiny" to threaten us.

But to my suprise this verse contradicted their teachings
Mat 6:6: But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret, and thy Father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly.

Today, you'll see so many xtians screaming and shouting all in the name of personal prayer

Even the so called praying in tounges is a contradiction to this verse
Mat 6:7: But when ye pray, use not vain repetitions, as the heathen [do]: for they think that they shall be heard for their much speaking.

Today you'll see so many christians shouting:
ba ba ba ba.. Bo bo bo bo... Ray ray ray ray x100

And the last verse to prove my point;
Mat 6:8: Be not ye therefore like unto them: for your Father knoweth what things ye have need of, before ye ask him.

This appeals to me most because it is Jesus' direct instructions. Anyone who wants to imitate Jesus Christ and be perfect should make the gospels- Mathew, Luke, Mark and John their priority over other books. These are the books containing instructions that stand all ages, others like Isaiah, Timothy, Corithians, etc are the words of the apostles and disciples trying to teach the people of that time how to live christian community lives. Jesus' messages were very straight and direct to the point, no single confusion or biting about.

Jesus did not instruct anyone to use loud speakers to disturb neighbors. Last Easter I paid someone a visit, the church in the neighborhood had this loud speaker that it was like the messages and prayers were so loud that you can't do anything else. And the messages were all about breakthroughs, the prayers about casting away evils and obstacles blocking prosperity. These were going for several hours and then I wonder how the people living there cope.
Re: Praying Loudly Vs Praying Quietly: What Do You Guys Think. by ibukunobi: 3:46pm On Jan 03, 2013
i am a jehovah's witnesses, over one hundred years ago, we have been liberated from that bondage of noisy prayer pattern, we live quetly and demonds dont come to our place of worships, and we dont cast out demonds that does not exists.
Matt 6 :2-9 is the standard MODEL Prayer pattern for all christians
Any other ideas different from this is expanded because some people want to use that method to confuse the poor just for their own gain (financial gain), you all know someone has to misinterprete the bible just to create new job for himself.
Let us be careful, satan is at work, he knows pple has problems not problem, so he uses prayer warriors that calls themselves modern days christians today to confuse people today in the name of night vigil. Beware of angels of darkness

1 Like

Re: Praying Loudly Vs Praying Quietly: What Do You Guys Think. by nezpablo: 3:51pm On Jan 03, 2013
What we do nt believe becomes a nuisance to us. Every religion has its concormitant precepts,body language,signs and communications. You can pray aloud and pray silently as situation deems. Disputing prayin aloud? Then God Almight will give a cause to be in problems and confusion. or let kidnappers abduct you,you will want to say a loud silent pray. God will have mercy on us all.
Re: Praying Loudly Vs Praying Quietly: What Do You Guys Think. by Nobody: 3:54pm On Jan 03, 2013
Hannah muttered words, the disciples in the upper room cried out loud, God answers prayers from a fervent and a righteous heart.

1 Like

Re: Praying Loudly Vs Praying Quietly: What Do You Guys Think. by annawhite(f): 3:55pm On Jan 03, 2013
OP
Praying loudly or quietly has nothing to do with getting speedy answers from God
Prayer is one having a communication with God
in the course of prayers, ur spirit and how connected u are to the realm of spirit wil determine how loud u get
If u r praying and at d same time conscious of ur tone then u might end up talking to urself
A mummur in d heart is a prayer
A short whisper to God is a prayer
It all depends on how the spirit leads us while we are praying!

2 Likes

Re: Praying Loudly Vs Praying Quietly: What Do You Guys Think. by Revolva(m): 3:57pm On Jan 03, 2013
Meditation is the key to the above...I hate saying words out when I am alone- I only have a quiet time to search myself and improve ma faith ....
Re: Praying Loudly Vs Praying Quietly: What Do You Guys Think. by oluwaisaac(m): 3:59pm On Jan 03, 2013
[/color]The bottom line is moderation...if the leader says we should pray in church, the atmosphere may demand that you start voicing out your prayers....it really depends on how the spirit leads...then you'll not fulfil the desires of the flesh while praying...by sleeping due to over relaxation.[color=#000099]The bottom line is moderation...if the leader says we should pray in church, the atmosphere may demand that you start voicing out your prayers....it really depends on how the spirit leads...then you'll not fulfil the desires of the flesh while praying...by sleeping due to over relaxation.The bottom line is moderation...if the leader says we should pray in church, the atmosphere may demand that you start voicing out your prayers....it really depends on how the spirit leads...then you'll not fulfil the desires of the flesh while praying...by sleeping due to over relaxation.
Re: Praying Loudly Vs Praying Quietly: What Do You Guys Think. by dayokanu(m): 4:01pm On Jan 03, 2013
The bible says we should pray quietly
Re: Praying Loudly Vs Praying Quietly: What Do You Guys Think. by vivianc(f): 4:10pm On Jan 03, 2013
Both are good. It depends on the kind of prayer. When u wanna praise, worship and make supplications to him, then silent prayer is for you. But when u are at war with the forces of darkness, the principalities and powers, wickedness in the high places you do it violently.

I pray out loud once in a while, and whenever a close church or a next door neighbour is in a prayer of warfare, I usually get up and join them in my room.
Re: Praying Loudly Vs Praying Quietly: What Do You Guys Think. by vivianc(f): 4:11pm On Jan 03, 2013
oluwaisaac: [/color]The bottom line is moderation...if the leader says we should pray in church, the atmosphere may demand that you start voicing out your prayers....it really depends on how the spirit leads...then you'll not fulfil the desires of the flesh while praying...by sleeping due to over relaxation.[color=#000099]The bottom line is moderation...if the leader says we should pray in church, the atmosphere may demand that you start voicing out your prayers....it really depends on how the spirit leads...then you'll not fulfil the desires of the flesh while praying...by sleeping due to over relaxation.The bottom line is moderation...if the leader says we should pray in church, the atmosphere may demand that you start voicing out your prayers....it really depends on how the spirit leads...then you'll not fulfil the desires of the flesh while praying...by sleeping due to over relaxation.

Exactly.
Re: Praying Loudly Vs Praying Quietly: What Do You Guys Think. by Dibangoking(m): 4:14pm On Jan 03, 2013
Atheist:-D:

It is no joke. Some churches are now looking like mental wards when you pass by.
lmao
Re: Praying Loudly Vs Praying Quietly: What Do You Guys Think. by ladgentle(m): 4:15pm On Jan 03, 2013
Have you guys ever read portions of the scriptures that states: shout to God all ye people? Or cry aloud? Or lift up your voice'? When strong thing hold you, e no go matter then how you pray
Re: Praying Loudly Vs Praying Quietly: What Do You Guys Think. by tomzman: 4:17pm On Jan 03, 2013
vivian chinaza: Both are good. It depends on the kind of prayer. When u wanna praise, worship and make supplications to him, then silent prayer is for you. But when u are at war with the forces of darkness, the principalities and powers, wickedness in the high places you do it violently.

I pray out loud once in a while, and whenever a close church or a next door neighbour is in a prayer of warfare, I usually get up and join them in my room.

Wow. That's nice. I don't think I can do that, especially if it is in the night.

1 Like

Re: Praying Loudly Vs Praying Quietly: What Do You Guys Think. by Nobody: 4:23pm On Jan 03, 2013
I prefer the quiet prayer

Re: Praying Loudly Vs Praying Quietly: What Do You Guys Think. by paris10: 4:25pm On Jan 03, 2013
I pray loud wen i dey vex with demons and all forces of darkness. But if I need anything from Baba God, I humble myself with silent prayers.
Re: Praying Loudly Vs Praying Quietly: What Do You Guys Think. by vivianc(f): 4:27pm On Jan 03, 2013
tomzman:

Wow. That's nice. I don't think I can do that, especially if it is in the night.

Yea, its not a problem. We all have our moments.
Re: Praying Loudly Vs Praying Quietly: What Do You Guys Think. by Dibangoking(m): 4:30pm On Jan 03, 2013
stagger: Do native doctors mumble incantations quietly?

When the Ogboni guys are chanting their "erioooo waaa...." incantation, do they do it quietly?

When in church, I pray loudly as everyone does. It is my prayer, my needs and my supplication to God. When at home in my closet, I do not pray so loudly because I have neighbours, but I pray with the force that the situation requires. When in a social gathering and called upon to offer prayers, I do not use a loud voice, but I make myself audible so everyone knows when to say "amen".

Do as occasion suits you. But frankly, I cannot be in church or at home and I am praying against the plans of the enemy and I will be quiet. There is a man in my village who has had problems with my family who is forever going to his spiritualists with our names. You ask me to whisper my prayer with such a known adversary when I am praying in church or in my house? NO WAY!
lols those village folks aint smiling oooo.buh get ur point though.
Re: Praying Loudly Vs Praying Quietly: What Do You Guys Think. by cdz: 4:38pm On Jan 03, 2013
Atheist-D, it's interesting to see that you are actually more authentically Christian than would-be Christians on this thread. Maintian your perspective. The biggest tragedy that Christians face is that each of them is an authority in the faith unto himself. Yet all of them can't be right. How on earth do they propose to determine who among them is right?

What, in the first place, do they conceive prayer to be?
Re: Praying Loudly Vs Praying Quietly: What Do You Guys Think. by Nobody: 4:39pm On Jan 03, 2013
Letter are written and read but words are meant to be spoken. Prayers are meant to be spoken, but we don't have to be hypocritical when indulging, GOD sees our heart. Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks
Re: Praying Loudly Vs Praying Quietly: What Do You Guys Think. by yme1(f): 4:54pm On Jan 03, 2013
praying quietly does it for me
Re: Praying Loudly Vs Praying Quietly: What Do You Guys Think. by Leemak: 4:56pm On Jan 03, 2013
@OP, can u shout @ ur father when u need something from him or ur mum? Our God is above our parents........i think i've answered ur question.
Re: Praying Loudly Vs Praying Quietly: What Do You Guys Think. by Nobody: 5:05pm On Jan 03, 2013
sadeiyare: Letter are written and read but words are meant to be spoken. Prayers are meant to be spoken, but we don't have to be hypocritical when indulging, GOD sees our heart. Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks

^
Re: Praying Loudly Vs Praying Quietly: What Do You Guys Think. by nlofficial(m): 5:11pm On Jan 03, 2013
Another reason why the pastor will ask that members pray aloud is either because of sleeping off or being too cool.
Re: Praying Loudly Vs Praying Quietly: What Do You Guys Think. by Joythah(m): 5:15pm On Jan 03, 2013
Firstly, we will have to define prayer... The type of prayer you are praying determines whether you will shout or pray with low tones or even pray without words like hannah in the bible.... God is dynamic and so is the scriptures. Jesus shouted @ lazarus graveside yet he told his disciples to pray in secret.... This can be confusing to shallow christians and unbelievers. The holy spirit helps us to pray so we pray as he leads(screaming, shouting, crying, desperate, in holy anger. Gently, in our hearts, with heavy burdens etc).
Re: Praying Loudly Vs Praying Quietly: What Do You Guys Think. by Joythah(m): 5:17pm On Jan 03, 2013
Leemak: @OP, can u shout @ ur father when u need something from him or ur mum? Our God is above our parents........i think i've answered ur question.
yes... I have seen it happen plenty times and even the parents do not think it is rude. It is called desperation.
Re: Praying Loudly Vs Praying Quietly: What Do You Guys Think. by Joythah(m): 5:19pm On Jan 03, 2013
ladgentle: Have you guys ever read portions of the scriptures that states: shout to God all ye people? Or cry aloud? Or lift up your voice'? When strong thing hold you, e no go matter then how you pray
right on point
Re: Praying Loudly Vs Praying Quietly: What Do You Guys Think. by Joythah(m): 5:21pm On Jan 03, 2013
dayokanu: The bible says we should pray quietly
where?
Re: Praying Loudly Vs Praying Quietly: What Do You Guys Think. by Joythah(m): 5:23pm On Jan 03, 2013
ibukun obi: i am a jehovah's witnesses, over one hundred years ago, we have been liberated from that bondage of noisy prayer pattern, we live quetly and demonds dont come to our place of worships, and we dont cast out demonds that does not exists.
Matt 6 :2-9 is the standard MODEL Prayer pattern for all christians
Any other ideas different from this is expanded because some people want to use that method to confuse the poor just for their own gain (financial gain), you all know someone has to misinterprete the bible just to create new job for himself.
Let us be careful, satan is at work, he knows pple has problems not problem, so he uses prayer warriors that calls themselves modern days christians today to confuse people today in the name of night vigil. Beware of angels of darkness
demons dont come to your place of worship?? That's the best joke i've heard this year. Hahahahahaha
Re: Praying Loudly Vs Praying Quietly: What Do You Guys Think. by shegzyzee(m): 5:33pm On Jan 03, 2013
God blessin upon u fellow nairaland,i will want to show u dat if u follow d letter nd nt wot d bible mean u may b doom.
In contrary to how people av misinterpret d bible wen u are prayin in d corners of ur room u dont nid to shout.because u ar nt tryin to raise attention of d people in d sorroundin,nd u dont do repeatition so dat u can say u spent much hour in d place of prayer(mathew 6:7).
However,there different kind of prayer,request prayer,thanksgivin prayer nd intercessory prayer.
Now request prayer nd thanksgivin prayer does nt need much talkin or shooutin because God knw d heart of every man().bt wen it come to intersory prayer,bible say angel hearken to voices(psalm 103v20)
Re: Praying Loudly Vs Praying Quietly: What Do You Guys Think. by Mentaremix(m): 5:34pm On Jan 03, 2013
aletheia:
Simply that, there is a time for praying out loud, and a time for silent prayer. Examples abound in the bible.

^
Therefore speak I to them in parables: because they seeing see not; and hearing they hear not, neither do they understand. And in them is fulfilled the prophecy of Esaias, which saith, By hearing ye shall hear, and shall not understand; and seeing ye shall see, and shall not perceive: For this people's heart is waxed gross, and their ears are dull of hearing, and their eyes they have closed; lest at any time they should see with their eyes, and hear with their ears, and should understand with their heart, and should be converted, and I should heal them.
Mat 13:13-15
Tanx for quoting that Bible verse to Atheist-D.It is perfect.May God bless ur heart.
Re: Praying Loudly Vs Praying Quietly: What Do You Guys Think. by Nobody: 5:43pm On Jan 03, 2013
cdz: Atheist-D, it's interesting to see that you are actually more authentically Christian than would-be Christians on this thread. Maintian your perspective. The biggest tragedy that Christians face is that each of them is an authority in the faith unto himself. Yet all of them can't be right. How on earth do they propose to determine who among them is right?

What, in the first place, do they conceive prayer to be?
Could you please shed more light on the bolded cos i don't quite follow. i know atheist to be people who don't belief in the existence of a deity. then how do you know that atheist d is a christian ?
Re: Praying Loudly Vs Praying Quietly: What Do You Guys Think. by sylve11: 5:51pm On Jan 03, 2013
Atheist:-D:
If you are praying loudly you might need to speak in tongues or everybody will know what you are praying about.

Imagine praying for forgiveness for slamming the pastors daughter out loud shocked

grin grin grin

Oh God have mercy on this soul! grin grin grin cool

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Bishop Tom Samson Wears Military Outfit To Church (Photos) / Pastor Kumuyi's Son's Apology To Deeper Life (Video & Text) / Free Hymn For Redeemed Christian Church Of God (RCCG)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.