Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,840 members, 7,817,489 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:04 PM

Praying Loudly Vs Praying Quietly: What Do You Guys Think. - Religion (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Praying Loudly Vs Praying Quietly: What Do You Guys Think. (33880 Views)

U.s-based Liberian Pastor’s Wife Fined For Praying Too Loudly Outdoors / Gay-friendly Mosque Opens Quietly In South Africa / Is It Necessary To Pray Loudly And Aggressively? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Praying Loudly Vs Praying Quietly: What Do You Guys Think. by DrMuzungu(m): 12:36pm On Jan 04, 2013
If you pray loudly, you should know God is not deaf, so stop behaving and sounding like a fool.
Re: Praying Loudly Vs Praying Quietly: What Do You Guys Think. by tomsongz(m): 12:37pm On Jan 04, 2013
I fink da main reason y sum pastors would tell their congregation 2 shout iz becoz witout there shouting they(pastors) won't be mOtivated..just imagine a church where both da congregation n its pastor pray silently
Re: Praying Loudly Vs Praying Quietly: What Do You Guys Think. by Adexprint(m): 1:07pm On Jan 04, 2013
Heatblast: If a christian would come with another bible verse on why they should pray out loud, I won't be suprised cause the bible is full of contradictions
u get wrong here thinking the bible contradicts. I doubt if there is anywhere in the bible that suggests praying loudly and repetition of prayer words. Or gathering to pray on the street.
Re: Praying Loudly Vs Praying Quietly: What Do You Guys Think. by Adexprint(m): 1:17pm On Jan 04, 2013
advocate666:

There are many instances, especially in the old testament. But consider this about Jizz-Us himslef.

Hebrews 5:7

7 In the days of his flesh, Jesus offered up prayers and supplications, with loud cries and tears, to him who was able to save him from death, and he was heard because of his reverence.
and u term this a contradiction ?
Re: Praying Loudly Vs Praying Quietly: What Do You Guys Think. by Ogafid: 1:25pm On Jan 04, 2013
this are ur problems in this forum i may not have been contributing but i read. U love criticising christianity, why? Why? Why?. U pray as d spirit leads weather loud or quiet just pray
Re: Praying Loudly Vs Praying Quietly: What Do You Guys Think. by RuuDie(m): 3:16pm On Jan 04, 2013
advocate666:

There are many instances, especially in the old testament. But consider this about Jizz-Us himslef.

Hebrews 5:7

7 In the days of his flesh, Jesus offered up prayers and supplications, with loud cries and tears, to him who was able to save him from death, and he was heard because of his reverence.

Look at the bolded and tell me again why it was reported that Jizz-uz's prayer was answered!
Re: Praying Loudly Vs Praying Quietly: What Do You Guys Think. by tomzman: 7:03pm On Jan 04, 2013
Ogafid: this are ur problems in this forum i may not have been contributing but i read. U love criticising christianity, why? Why? Why?. U pray as d spirit leads weather loud or quiet just pray

Young man, no one is criticising christianity here at least not me. I am a christian myself and I think I clearly stated my purpose of creating the thread in my opening post. Thanks for commenting though.
Re: Praying Loudly Vs Praying Quietly: What Do You Guys Think. by straynt(m): 11:08pm On Jan 04, 2013
Heatblast: If a christian would come with another bible verse on why they should pray out loud, I won't be suprised cause the bible is full of contradictions
like?? Exampls pls
Re: Praying Loudly Vs Praying Quietly: What Do You Guys Think. by toygod2: 12:02am On Jan 05, 2013
Well,IMO.......people pray loudly,not because God is deaf / wldnt hear ,but to resist the temptation of sleep
Re: Praying Loudly Vs Praying Quietly: What Do You Guys Think. by Vicrobor(m): 12:43pm On Jan 05, 2013
I didn't mis-quote the book as you have allerged. i quoted exactly the as it was written. From what you have said it is obvious that there are circumstances that will warrant praying out aloud. Just as Jesus prove in the case of Lazarus when he commanded "Lazarus! Come out!". He does not need to be soft spoken about that. The point is there are are circumstances that will need a high tone when you are praying even when it will attract attention from others and there are circumstances that will require that you pray quietly. For example when praying before taking your meal there is no need to start praying out loudly. discretion matters. I am happy you acknowledge that your publication advised the Cote D'Ivoire 'interested person' to 'in an event of hearing the strange voice' that he normally encounter strangely, that 'he should call on Gods name loudly'. It means JW are not against praying out loudly in some certain circumstances. It is pretty much clear.
BARRISTERS: @Vicrobor

pray aloud in what circumstance?

yes,the man (a proposed and interested individual who wants to become a JW) harrassed by an alledged evil spirit from cote d'vior was advised to 'in an event of hearing the strange voice' that he normally encounter strangely, that 'he should call on Gods name loudly' citing proverbs 18:10 that ''the Name of God is a refuge,that the righteous ran into,and was saved''

does this particular 'rare instance of a one off, a standard recommended for prayer by the book'? noo, if you read further, after the man was relieved of the strange voice there is no mention of further prayers with loud utterances from the man, neither does the man makes 'loud prayer a standard'.a one-off situation cannot be a reccomended standard of praying.

it would have been superflous for jesus to render this verse as a reccomended standard for his followers;

mathew 6:7

But[size=18pt] when ye pray, use not vain repetitions[/size], as the heathen [do]:[size=18pt] for they think that they shall be heard for their much speaking.[/size]

pls dont misquote the book!
Re: Praying Loudly Vs Praying Quietly: What Do You Guys Think. by Joeiordye: 1:03pm On Jan 05, 2013
ladgentle: Have you guys ever read portions of the scriptures that states: shout to God all ye people? Or cry aloud? Or lift up your voice'? When strong thing hold you, e no go matter then how you pray

I think this has to do with singing songs.
Re: Praying Loudly Vs Praying Quietly: What Do You Guys Think. by Vicrobor(m): 1:13pm On Jan 05, 2013
@BARRISTERS - If you read your bible in Hebrews 5:7 even Jesus had to pray with 'strong outcries' - "In the days of his flesh [Christ] offered up supplications and also petitions to the One who was able to save him out of death, with strong outcries and tears, and he was favorably heard for his godly fear".(NWT). In this circumstance it is very obvious Jesus did not prayed quietly, he prayed with "strong outcries and tears". The bible also said as a result of this in Luke 22:44 "But getting into an agony he continued praying more earnestly; and his sweat became as drops of blood falling to the ground" (NWT). Do you think in this circumstance Jesus prayed quietly and started sweating. Even as close as Jesus to God, knowing what he was about to face, he prayed with "strong outcries" in other words, 'aloud'. My advice when praying is that apply discretion. Even if there are peolpe around you and the circumstance need you to pray aloud don't hesitate, you are not talking to them pray out loudly. But if the circumstance does not need you to pray out loudly, you can even pray in your heart without even moving your lips like in the case of Hannah in the bible.

Shalom!
Re: Praying Loudly Vs Praying Quietly: What Do You Guys Think. by clintonEmele(m): 11:15pm On Aug 18, 2013
I dnt ve much to say bt a little.praying out loud nd praying silently dos nt stop ur prayers. wen talkin abt praying silently will nt disturb odas den go look for somewhere so u won't disturb odas. Jesus did it wen he woke up nd left his disciples nd went up to d mountain nd prayd.
Re: Praying Loudly Vs Praying Quietly: What Do You Guys Think. by clintonEmele(m): 11:28pm On Aug 18, 2013
no it dos nt talk abt song.it talks abt prayer.den read psalm 61:1-2. Were he said hear my cry o God nd attend unto my prayer. Also psalm 77:1.nd 141:1-2
Re: Praying Loudly Vs Praying Quietly: What Do You Guys Think. by Umoth: 10:27am On Aug 17, 2014
I think people pray loudly so that they can be seen (heard) to be praying. They want everyone else to know they are praying. "Look, I am praying" they announce to the world, as they prey at the top of their voice. They want to be seen as "devoted." They are "showing off" - I can pray louder then you! They want everyone to know they are "followers." God is not deaf. God will hear the quietest prayer from the smallest child, unvoiced. Who responds well to be shouted at?
Re: Praying Loudly Vs Praying Quietly: What Do You Guys Think. by Toktee(m): 8:12am On Aug 26, 2014
Image123:
do you talk /communicate always on the same frequency, emotion and voice?
good question for the muslims.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Free Hymn For Redeemed Christian Church Of God (RCCG) / Bishop Tom Samson Wears Military Outfit To Church (Photos) / TB Joshua Supports Nigerian Returnees From South Africa With N12M

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.