Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,768 members, 7,817,118 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:22 AM

Somebody Help With The Best Recipe For Moi Moi - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Somebody Help With The Best Recipe For Moi Moi (9530 Views)

My Disastrous Experience Making Moi-moi / Pls What Else Can I Use To Grind Beans For Moi Moi Apart From Grinding Machine? / Recipe For Losing Weight..... Lose 12kg In Two Weeks (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Somebody Help With The Best Recipe For Moi Moi by aftadocean: 2:40pm On Feb 20, 2008
Please can someone help out with a recipe on how to make moi moi? I have never been impressed with the ones i have made in the past. What is it that must go into it to make it taste good anytime?
Re: Somebody Help With The Best Recipe For Moi Moi by pku(f): 5:11pm On Apr 24, 2008
lots of tatase - Large red pepper, lots of ground crayfish, cornbeef, lots of sardines. when mixed properly with all the other regular ingredients will give u what you will never forget as per satisfaction. have fun. wink
Re: Somebody Help With The Best Recipe For Moi Moi by Dreloaded(f): 6:13pm On Apr 24, 2008
only way I would eat pku's moinmoin is if I were a prisoner of war

anyway

soak beans til the skin starts peeling

peel them off and blend the beans

add puree tomatoes, "maggi", slice egg if you want, usual spices blah blah, oil

find whatever you camn to wrap them in sections and boil in pot

I use aluminium foil. Drives me crazy undecided
Re: Somebody Help With The Best Recipe For Moi Moi by LASIEFAIRE(m): 6:15pm On Apr 24, 2008
- Moi MOI-
the secret is omi erun,

@ d-reloaded all those no omi erun -
Re: Somebody Help With The Best Recipe For Moi Moi by wendymanda: 6:17pm On Apr 24, 2008
Is there moi moi in Ghana?
Re: Somebody Help With The Best Recipe For Moi Moi by LadyT(f): 6:17pm On Apr 24, 2008
D-reloaded you are not serious!
Yeah exactly what she said.

I hate moi moi with too much going on.  Recipe for disaster,
Re: Somebody Help With The Best Recipe For Moi Moi by Dreloaded(f): 6:22pm On Apr 24, 2008
LASIEFAIRE:

- Moi MOI-
the secret is omi erun,

@ d-reloaded all those no omi erun -

it's part of "etc" tongue
Re: Somebody Help With The Best Recipe For Moi Moi by 4Him1(m): 6:25pm On Apr 24, 2008
tomato puree in moi moi? shocked

pku:

lots of tatase - Large red pepper, lots of ground crayfish, cornbeef, lots of sardines. when mixed properly with all the other regular ingredients will give u what you will never forget as per satisfaction. have fun. wink

Cornbeef in moi moi is just argh.
Sardines is fine, or i add boiled liver chopped instead.
The tatase is a good addition or ground pepper if you dont have.
Re: Somebody Help With The Best Recipe For Moi Moi by Dreloaded(f): 6:32pm On Apr 24, 2008
well moimoi in MY house is reddish/orange. nah tomato be that.

dont know the color of the ones in Ogun households

saradine and cornbeef dont belong in moimoi angry
Re: Somebody Help With The Best Recipe For Moi Moi by LASIEFAIRE(m): 6:32pm On Apr 24, 2008
D-reloaded:

it's part of "etc" tongue
grin
Re: Somebody Help With The Best Recipe For Moi Moi by 4Him1(m): 6:36pm On Apr 24, 2008
if you blend in enough tatase your moi moi will be very red too.
Sardine is part of what makes the moi moi tasty eh.
Re: Somebody Help With The Best Recipe For Moi Moi by LASIEFAIRE(m): 6:37pm On Apr 24, 2008
Beans are important source of protein in the African diet. There are five or six main varieties of beans common in West Africa. In Nigeria, well known and widely used beans include Akidi, Odudu, Okpa and the highly popular cowpeas or blackeye peas. Each type of beans may be prepared in a different way. Our new recipe is for moi moi or steamed bean cakes made from blackeyed peas.

steamed Bean Cakes With Liver (Moi Moi)

Ingredients

(1) Beans (Black-eyed Peas) - 2 Cups (serving for three adults)
(2) Onion - 1 large bulb
(3) Fresh chili Peppers - 4-5 (about 2 teaspoons ground)
(4) Vegetable oil - 1/2 Cup
(5) Crayfish - 1/4 Cup
(6) Beef Liver - 1/2 lb
(7) Salt - to taste
(cool Black Pepper - 1 teaspoon
(9) Aluminum Foil

Preparation

Soak beans in water at room temperature for about 30 minutes to one hour make that 4 hrs. The beans will soften making it easy to remove the skin.
Rub the softened beans between your palms so the skin will come off.
Add more water so the removed skins will float.
Skim off the floating skins.
Repeat the rubbing and skimming until all the beans have been de-skinned.

Peel and chop onion into large chunks and add to the de-skinned beans. Also add the crayfish and pepper (For people who don't like hot peppers, black pepper or mustard can be substituted).

In a blender, puree the beans, pepper, crayfish and onion mixture until the texture is smooth (no grainy feel). While blending add water, a little at a time, as needed to aid the puree process. Do not make it too watery. The ground mixture should be able to pour without running.

Wash the beef liver (you may use other kinds of liver as available) and cut into inch thick cubes. Place the cubed liver in a cooking pot, add a small amount of water; just enough to cover the bottom; add salt and black pepper to taste and cook until well done.
If any water is still in the cooked liver, drain it away and stir in the cooked liver to the ground beans. Add vegetable oil and stir some more. Add salt to taste.

Cut aluminum foil into one foot squares. Fold each square (shiny side in) into a water-tight envelope.

Using a measuring cup or large cooking spoon, ladle 11/2 cups or 4 spoons of the ground beans mixture into each envelope and seal the top by folding over.

Layer the bottom of a large cooking pot fresh cut branches from an edible tree. Each twig should be no larger than half an inch in thickness. Add a small amount of water into the pot just below the level of the twigs.

Carefully place the aluminum envelopes with the pureed bean mixture into the pot on top of the twigs. Layer the bean envelopes one atop another.

Place the cooking pot on the stove at high heat and cover tightly. Do not allow the pot to go completely dry. Check every three to five minutes and add water as needed. Each time cover tightly again. Cook for 45 to 60 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool.

Moi Moi can be eaten with a hot cereal such as quaker oats. It is good warm, but can been most enjoyed chilled. Have it with a hot cup of tea or coffee.
Re: Somebody Help With The Best Recipe For Moi Moi by 4Him1(m): 6:44pm On Apr 24, 2008
If you use the ewa oloyin u need soak for about an hour or 2. that one is easier to skin than those miserable thin beans.

(1) (Reply)

Puff-puff Recipe / Who Knows The Name Of This Fruit? / How To Graduate From An Amateur To Professional Cook (simple Guides)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.