Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,917 members, 7,810,523 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 10:29 AM

Nigerians And Voluntary Blood Donation - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Nigerians And Voluntary Blood Donation (5961 Views)

Man Dies At Sperm Bank After 4th Donation In 10 Days (PHOTO) / Blood Donation- Experiences Of A First Time Donor, Share Yours / Voluntary Blood Donation In Nigeria: Why Are Nigerians Not Donating (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerians And Voluntary Blood Donation by articolous: 4:21pm On Feb 20, 2008
fellow nigerians, thirty thousand people died yesterday,this is due to inadequate safe blood in the country that is not available for use,why cany we all encourage ourselfs abnd become voluntary blood donors .voluntary blood donation is an act of charity.
THINK ABOUT IT.
Re: Nigerians And Voluntary Blood Donation by TOYOSI20(f): 6:58pm On Feb 20, 2008
That's a very good idea,

BUT A LOT OF SAFETY PRECAUTIONS, HAVE TO BE TAKEN INTO CONSIDERATION,

ON THE PART OF BOTH THE DONORS AND THE RECIPIENTS.
Re: Nigerians And Voluntary Blood Donation by ifyalways(f): 7:17pm On Feb 20, 2008
articolous:

fellow nigerians, thirty thousand people died yesterday,this is due to inadequate safe blood in the country that is not available for use,why cany we all encourage ourselfs abnd become voluntary blood donors .voluntary blood donation is an act of charity.
THINK ABOUT IT.
@poster,where and when ?
what led to the deaths?
voluntary blood donation is goood but errrrrhm na when pesin even chop belleful him go remembre that one nah.with the rate of poverty in Nigeria,the spirit might be willing but the flesh is weak tongue
Re: Nigerians And Voluntary Blood Donation by almondjoy(f): 9:50am On Feb 21, 2008
All hail the giant of Africa.  Yet no safe blood supply.  Everyone want to drive a "JEEP"!

ifyalways:

@poster,where and when ?
what led to the deaths?
voluntary blood donation is goood but errrrrhm na when pesin even chop belleful him go remembre that one nah.with the rate of poverty in Nigeria,the spirit might be willing but the flesh is weak tongue

That's right! Just be prepared to bury another 30,000 who donate and another like 45,000 who receive. cheesy
Re: Nigerians And Voluntary Blood Donation by jgirl3: 10:09am On Feb 21, 2008
Abi oooo - the spirit is willing but the flesh is weak.

All those ritualists can start robbing blood banks and using one's blood to do certain stuff. Abeg - i'd rather give out my blood personally, no offence.
Re: Nigerians And Voluntary Blood Donation by LordReed(m): 10:29am On Feb 21, 2008
Donated blood sometime last year. I enjoyed the experience n wished I could do more, it's just that around here it's not easy to find a safe n reliable place u can walk into to do it.
Re: Nigerians And Voluntary Blood Donation by Nobody: 11:30am On Feb 21, 2008
articolous:

THINK ABOUT IT.

The stats you gave is quite misleading.
Besides, others don talk am, man go chop first before him go go donate blood. Abi you wan double the number of deaths?
Re: Nigerians And Voluntary Blood Donation by loruz(f): 2:24pm On Feb 21, 2008
Lord reed,am a regular blood donor in LUTH. u can also register there,its a worthy cause
Re: Nigerians And Voluntary Blood Donation by dee02(m): 2:43pm On Feb 21, 2008
wey i neva chop belle-full, e eazy!
wey i no get enough blood for my own body, e eazy!!

all man for him self ooo, i no dey run charity like dat, abeg carry ur cross and carry go!
Re: Nigerians And Voluntary Blood Donation by titilaelae(f): 3:14pm On Feb 21, 2008
TOYOSI20:

That's a very good idea,

BUT A LOT OF SAFETY PRECAUTIONS, HAVE TO BE TAKEN INTO CONSIDERATION,

ON THE PART OF BOTHTHE DONORS AND THE RECIPIENTS.

@Toyosi, to the best of my knowledge, before a donor's blood is taken, a test is carried to determine if he/she has enough to sustain him after donation. In addition, the blood sample is also screened for HIV and  whatever disease that can be transmitted to the recipient. If the donor's blood is not fit in any way, it will not  be drawn.

ifyalways
[/quote]
@Ifyalways, What of those who chop beleful? A lot of people go about with excess  blood in their system without knowing it. I gathered recently that excess as well as shortage of blood is good for the system Besides, if what you have is not sufficient even for you, it won't be taken.

[quote author=j-girl:

Abi oooo - the spirit is willing but the flesh is weak.

All those ritualists can start robbing blood banks and using one's blood to do certain stuff. Abeg - i'd rather give out my blood personally, no offence.
I never really gave that a thought you know? Such things are not impossible with Naijans anyway.

[quote author=loruz link=topic=114323.msg1980957#msg1980957 date=1203600299]
Lord reed,am a regular blood donor in LUTH. u can also register there,its a worthy cause

Good. Any intending donor around Ikeja can also walk into LASUTH and register. You will feel happy afterwards. But to talk true, me I never donate blood in my life  sha o. The fear of NEEDLE is the beginning of wisodm, a beg! Even the small small one I dey  manage to give for test, na so so cry  cryI dey cry before nurse go draw the blood grin. Omo, e no easy o.
Re: Nigerians And Voluntary Blood Donation by naijaking1: 3:16pm On Feb 21, 2008
Donating blood is very good for the donor, and even better for the reciepient.

Speaking about "man we chop belle-full, dey donate blood" is wrong.

The blood center usually tests for adequate level of hemoglobin before removing 250-300ml of blood from an adult. Bye the way, if you're healthy, going about your daily chores without any problems, you probably have about 4000-5000ml of blood in your body, so donating just a little would not hurt you.

Donating may actually help you control your blood pressure, reduce the number of circulating bad cells, and remove excessive immunoglobulins.

Your body quickly replaces any removed blood with fresh and more vibrant cells within 21 days, so you not only loose old and weak cells by donating, but you gain stronger and fresher cells.
Re: Nigerians And Voluntary Blood Donation by titilaelae(f): 3:22pm On Feb 21, 2008
@ Naijaking,
I agree with you. I wish there's a public enlightenment program on this.
Re: Nigerians And Voluntary Blood Donation by naijaking1: 3:33pm On Feb 21, 2008
Blood donation services are centered around the hospitals in the US, one reason is that many doctors and nureses understand the importance of donating blood every 6-8 months.

Some of my physician colleagues would even pay to be allowed to donate once ayear.

In naija, and because of illitracy and supersition, "blood" means different things to our people.
Re: Nigerians And Voluntary Blood Donation by Nobody: 5:05pm On Feb 21, 2008
it's really a good cause but nna, is it the fear of the needle or the sight of blood that makes me sick? either way, there's no personal motivation to walk in on my own.

maybe i will - some time in the distant future grin
Re: Nigerians And Voluntary Blood Donation by ifyalways(f): 5:33pm On Feb 21, 2008
@naijaking yes so true but we are talking of Nigeria here.
most hospitals are so unsafe for that.so very unsafe.screening b4acceptance,hehe we all wish its so.  cheesy
so many things are wrong in the nigerian health sector .people that are even willing to donate are scared.most people i know that donate blood in Nigeria do so not voluntarily but because of the milo,peak milk,cabin biscuit and N500 they give them  grin
the nigerian health sector needs to be sanitized first!
Re: Nigerians And Voluntary Blood Donation by almondjoy(f): 5:55pm On Feb 21, 2008
ah-ah?

Wey ma post? angry
Re: Nigerians And Voluntary Blood Donation by TOYOSI20(f): 6:07pm On Feb 21, 2008
titilaelae:

@Toyosi, to the best of my knowledge, before a donor's blood is taken, a test is carried to determine if he/she has enough to sustain him after donation. In addition, the blood sample is also screened for HIV and whatever disease that can be transmitted to the recipient. If the donor's blood is not fit in any way, it will not be drawn.

I never really gave that a thought you know? Such things are not impossible with Naijans anyway.

Good. Any intending donor around Ikeja can also walk into LASUTH and register. You will feel happy afterwards. But to talk true, me I never donate blood in my life sha o. The fear of NEEDLE is the beginning of wisodm, a beg! Even the small small one I dey manage to give for test, na so so cry cryI dey cry before nurse go draw the blood grin. Omo, e no easy o.

Good, it is always good to be cautious, it shouldn't be that

because of the fact that there is a high demand for donors,

that every[b] Tom, Dick, and Harry[/b], will now come up to[b] "the podium",[/b]

to donate blood, it is a great cause to save lives, therefore, there

should be no cracks in the wall to sabotage this effort!!!!!!!![quote][/quote]
Re: Nigerians And Voluntary Blood Donation by dot2002(m): 11:00pm On Feb 21, 2008
Blood storage for transfusion will always be a huge problem in Nigeria because on a good day blood don't just keep forever, it tend to break down quickly over couple of days. I won't mention power supply and chilling cabinets. In addition blood in Nigeria is always contaminated with Malaria parasite because it is not economically sound to eliminate them God knows what other bugs get transfused. It will be feasible to coordinate blaad donation but Nigeria is Nigeria so we just make public enlightenment and commitments and prayers. cheesy amen
Re: Nigerians And Voluntary Blood Donation by ndubest(m): 2:23pm On Feb 22, 2008
The Enlightenment for voluntary blood donation in Nigeria is already on
JUST THAT I DONT KNOW HOW FAR THEY HAVE GONE IN SPREADING THE MESSAGE

USAID is sponsoring the National Blood Transfusion Service in Nigeria now (NBTS)
so the issue of storage may not really arise because they have state-of-the-art technology

their office is in wuse Abuja

Please if you can try and donate blood
you will be saving other peoples lives

especially if you among those that have unique blood group like O-
you may even be saving your own life in future

I encourage all to donate blood to save lives

you can count it as one of the good deeds you have done this year

Thanks @poster for bringing this issue up

1 Like

Re: Nigerians And Voluntary Blood Donation by luridguy(m): 4:10pm On Feb 22, 2008
The Internet Journal of Third World Medicine TM
ISSN: 1539-4646

Home | Current Issue | Archives | Instructions for Authors | Disclaimer | Printable Version
Risk Factors For Post-Donation Syncope Among Blood Donors In Nigeria

S. G. Ahmed, MBBS, FWACP
Department of haematology
College of medical sciences
University of Maiduguri
Maiduguri Borno State Nigeria

A. K. Gwarzo, MBBS, FMCPath
Department of haematology
Faculty of medicine
Bayero University Kano
Kano state Nigeria
Citation:

S. G. Ahmed, A. K. Gwarzo: Risk Factors For Post-Donation Syncope Among Blood Donors In Nigeria. The Internet Journal of Third World Medicine. 2007. Volume 4 Number 2.

The world health organization recommends that blood donation should in all cases be absolutely voluntary with an altruistic motive of helping the unknown recipients. 1 However, only persons in good health should be accepted as donors of blood for therapeutic use. 2 The suitability of prospective donors should be determined by a pre-donation assessment of his/her health status. A significant part of the assessment procedure usually takes the form of verbal screening with reliance on answers to simple standard questions relating to general health, past medical history, medications and simple general physical examination including the measurements of weight and blood pressure of the prospective donor. 2 Persons who are between the ages of 18 and 65 years and have passed the pre-donation medical assessment with haemoglobin levels of more than 13.5 g/dl in males or 12.5 g/dl in females are acceptable as donors. 2 , 3 However, pregnant and lactating women are not accepted for homologous blood donation. 2 , 3

Healthy persons can donate up to 450ml of blood without any deleterious effect on their body, and with only a temporary effect on their circulatory system from which recovery is rapid. 2 , 3 Nonetheless, syncopal episodes do occur among blood donors with an incidence of between 2% to 5% of all donors in the United Kingdom, being especially common in first-time donors due to nervousness and vasovagal reactions resulting from anxiety. 3 The risk of vasovagal attacks is higher among donors who weigh less than 50kg, since the standard donation of a pint of blood represents a greater proportion of their total blood volume. 3 In this report we evaluated the incidence and pattern of risk factors for post-donation syncope as seen in Nigerian blood donors at the blood bank of the University of Maiduguri Teaching Hospital, Maiduguri, North East Nigeria.

All cases of post-donations syncope at the blood bank of University of Maiduguri Teaching Hospital were routinely investigated. The investigation usually took the form of a medical examination and re-assessment of the donor medical and drug history with the aim of determining the cause of the syncope in each case. This study is conducted by retrospective appraisal of the result of such investigations carried out during a 5-year period from 2002 to 2006.

During the period under review, a total of 10, 124 donors were bled at the blood bank. Out of these 10, 124 donors only 51 had post-donation syncope. Therefore the incidence rate of syncope among our donors was 0.5%. All cases of syncope were seen in first-time donors and occurred immediately within fifteen to thirty minutes after the completion of blood donation as they get out of the donation coach getting ready to go home. The weight of the affected donors ranged from 59- 76kg. The documented risk factors for syncope included donor medication with alpha methyldopa in 22 (43%) cases, propranolol in 8 (16%) cases and amitriptyline 8 (16%) cases. Anxiety was identified as the risk factor for syncope in 13 (25%) cases as shown on Table 1.

read rest of article: http://www.ispub.com/ostia/index.php?xmlFilePath=journals/ijtwm/vol4n2/donor.xml
Re: Nigerians And Voluntary Blood Donation by Kabidoye(m): 5:51pm On Feb 22, 2008
ok am jobless right now n i wanna donate some blood. just give me an address close to Ikotun egbe. u can ra\each me on 08051940182. holas!
Re: Nigerians And Voluntary Blood Donation by manmustwac(m): 8:47pm On Feb 22, 2008
dee02:

wey i never chop belle-full, e eazy!
wey i no get enough blood for my own body, e eazy!!

all man for him self ooo, i no dey run charity like that, abeg carry your cross and carry go!

dee02 your so funny. Man must wack oh!
Re: Nigerians And Voluntary Blood Donation by naijaking1: 10:00pm On Feb 22, 2008
Kabidoye:

ok am jobless right now n i want to donate some blood. just give me an address close to Ikotun egbe. u can ra\each me on 08051940182. holas!

I sympathize with your job situation, but what has that got to do with donating blood?

I don't mean selling blood, because that is only mentioned to be condemned, strongly.
Re: Nigerians And Voluntary Blood Donation by ronkybaby(f): 4:06pm On Feb 23, 2008
Abeg I no dey easy oooooooo, make pesin dey give blood we im never chop belle full

Re: Nigerians And Voluntary Blood Donation by gaburiel(m): 9:00pm On Feb 23, 2008
Just that I am particularly afraid of Nigeria generally most especially because of the level of corruption, that is why I have not even gone for HIV test, what if in the name of being good, I am being infected with HIV probably from a reused needle, or a needle that is bad, what is going to be my fate
Re: Nigerians And Voluntary Blood Donation by dot2002(m): 12:16pm On Feb 24, 2008
how true! yet some fool will tell you to pray to God on the issue you just raised. Donating blood has got nothing to do with food. extreme gastronomic get you fat yet you may be lacking blood. good bless. a thin person might have extra pints to donate. Just be absolutely sure you don't get more than what you intent to give because some big belly idiot try to recycle some of the catheter or whatever is used for taking the blaad in the name of corruption.
Re: Nigerians And Voluntary Blood Donation by OpeLovely(f): 10:29am On Feb 25, 2008
Re: Nigerians And Voluntary Blood Donation by adekennis(m): 7:31pm On Feb 26, 2008
Donate blood ke! me wey i never i chop belle full
Oloun maje angry angry angry
Re: Nigerians And Voluntary Blood Donation by MP007(m): 5:31pm On Feb 27, 2008
charity? did u just say blood donation is an act of charity? It should be but in the real world, it aint, I just cant picture a typical nigerian donating his / her blood, People are scared of folks using their blood for money rituals.
Re: Nigerians And Voluntary Blood Donation by ndubest(m): 10:19am On Feb 29, 2008
MP007:

charity? did u just say blood donation is an act of charity? It should be but in the real world, it aint, I just can't picture a typical nigerian donating his / her blood, People are scared of folks using their blood for money rituals.

i tend to disagree with you on this

I donated and so many Nigerians are willingly and freely donating under the NBTS

please do if you have the opportunity and you are healthy
Re: Nigerians And Voluntary Blood Donation by coolier(f): 12:24pm On Feb 29, 2008
It's good to donate blood.
It's good to be ones brother's keeper.

But will this blood be given freely to patients who need it or they would have to pay for it?. I would not be comfortable with the idea of patients buying my blood. Or my blood falling into wrong hands and ended u being sold by hawkers to desperate innocent citizens.
Re: Nigerians And Voluntary Blood Donation by tinaclums(f): 4:06pm On Mar 05, 2008
greetins to u all.it is safe to donate blood.i can say that openly cos i work wit an NGO called BERACHAH FOUNDATION.its at General Hospital Marina.we are a not for profit organization registred by corporate affairs commission,abuja.our project "BLOOD FOR LIFE"has been collecting blood since 1 december 1999 from voluntary non remunerated anonymous donors.such blood has been given out at no cost to the public hospitals in Lagos State ie National Orthopeadic Hospital Igbobi,Lagos State Blood Transfusion Committee and the Lagos University Teaching Hospital.TO BE A DONOR,Donors must be healthy,aged 17-65yrs,weigh over 50kg,live a low risk social life.BE A PART OF THIS NOBLE IDEA,DONATE BLOOD TODAY.BLOOD DONATION is safe,saves lives,prevents disease transmission,may prolong your own life.THE BENEFITS ARE WONDERFUL. smiley smiley smiley smiley

(1) (2) (Reply)

NOURISH YOUR SKIN RENEW YOUR AGE:ENJOY BENEFITS OF COCOLLAGEN / Lagos Discharges Seventeen Coronavirus Patients / First Lady Michelle Obama Looks Fit And Slimmer !

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.