Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,515 members, 7,819,859 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 03:49 AM

Driving With Or Without Shoes - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Driving With Or Without Shoes (12794 Views)

Does Driving With The AC On Actually Use More Fuel? / Driving With Or Without Shoes / Driving With One Hand ;style Or Abnormality (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Driving With Or Without Shoes by geeez: 3:32pm On Dec 28, 2012
Just got out of the car with a friend and he was like 'you drove with your shoes on? Can't do it'

I can drive with or without my shoes but I usually drive with my shoes on and it's pretty convenient

My mom I know can't drive with her shoes on while my dad is the opposite. My wife also drives without her shoes on.

I think driving without shoes is pretty common with women

Can we share experiences?

1 Like

Re: Driving With Or Without Shoes by Seun(m): 3:37pm On Dec 28, 2012
Driving with shoes on must be much harder for women, because women's shoes are far less comfortable than men's shoes.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Driving With Or Without Shoes by Nobody: 4:09pm On Dec 28, 2012
haha, when you're first learning you'd want to feel the raw impact and would prefer driving without shoes; but when your hand don strong you wouldn't mind either with or without. Enjoy!
Re: Driving With Or Without Shoes by bigx(m): 4:43pm On Dec 28, 2012
Years down I still love feeling the pedals on my bare feet.

1 Like

Re: Driving With Or Without Shoes by Lexusgs430: 5:50pm On Dec 28, 2012
Seun: Driving with shoes on must be much harder for women, because women's shoes are far less comfortable than men's shoes.

Ain't you aware most women normally have driving shoes in their cars?

1 Like

Re: Driving With Or Without Shoes by Lexusgs430: 5:52pm On Dec 28, 2012
I cannot drive without shoes for personal safety reasons, it's best to usually have a flat and even surface depressing those pedals!!!
Re: Driving With Or Without Shoes by aieromon(m): 6:54pm On Dec 28, 2012
I learnt how to drive without shoes(in my case palm slippers). It was very easy to take off the slippers and let the bare feet do the talking on the pedals. This continued for a long time until I started wearing corporate shoes. After friends laughed at me for lacing and unlacing my shoes before driving, I had no other choice than to adapt.

1 Like

Re: Driving With Or Without Shoes by Nobody: 10:02pm On Dec 28, 2012
I've always driven with shoes. It's a safety thing too.

1 Like

Re: Driving With Or Without Shoes by Seun(m): 10:07pm On Dec 28, 2012
Lexusgs430: Ain't you aware most women normally have driving shoes in their cars?
Nope. That's an interesting solution.

Siena: I've always driven with shoes. It's a safety thing too.
How so? Though I have limited experience, I feel driving without shoes is a bit safer because it allows for more precise control of the pedals.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Driving With Or Without Shoes by Nobody: 10:15pm On Dec 28, 2012
Seun: How so? Though I have limited experience, I feel driving without shoes is a bit safer because it allows for more precise control of the pedals.

The safety aspect isn't so much to do with pedal feel. It's for safety in the event of a crash. In a frontal impact, the pedals can be forced inwards and upwards in the passenger cell. And feet can be injured, or toes lost.

It's just one of the safety issues discussed when one starts driving lessons, obviously this will vary for different countries.

3 Likes

Re: Driving With Or Without Shoes by FindOut(m): 12:39am On Dec 29, 2012
Initially, used to drive without shoes. Wanted my feet to be in "direct" contact with the pedals. Was warned by a close friend to desist from the act as I might one day forget my shoes somewhere. Laughed it off & said it couldn't possibly happen. Prediction came to pass about a month or so afterwards...left one leg of my footwear in the parking lot of the agency I did my IT (the other leg was in the car). Wasted fuel and time in traffic to go back and retrieve it. Few days after, was seriously rushing to work, didn't have time to pull off my shoes before driving, jumped inside car and drove off, nothing happened. I felt even more comfortable and somehow in control, like i was now in charge of a seemingly uncontrollable situation. Haven't looked back since. This year, I drove a few times wearing my NYSC JUNGLE BOOTS (as big and heavy as those things are) & i felt no discomfort at all. Sometimes tho, in heavy / slow moving traffic, I take off my shoes or footwear and drive like that just to 'flex' my feet.

I hear it's the first thing some driving school instructors teach their pupils -learn to drive with shoes on- coz as Siena said, it's indeed a safety thing. You run the risk of damaging your toes or feet (& subsequently loosing control) when faced with a panic situation requiring sudden and swift acceleration or / & braking.

1 Like

Re: Driving With Or Without Shoes by manny4life(m): 12:59am On Dec 29, 2012
Me, drive without shoes? NEVER.

I always drive with shoes on, no matter the time of day, even if I have flip flops on. Although with flip flops/sandals on, it's a lil uncomfortable for me, but then, that's what hot summer can do to you. However, the thought of my feet touching the pedals just scares the hell outta me, besides, I've been advised for safety issue.

I noticed that "for me", if I put dress shoes or say casual shoes like boat shoes, I react less likely to my environment than if I had running shoes. With running shoes, it's like it's so much lighter and I can slam on the brakes as quickly, as opposed to dress shoes that makes my feet so heavy. At times, I use both legs to drive because it's so heavy. With dress shoes, my driving pattern is way different that lighter shoes.
Re: Driving With Or Without Shoes by mattfeuter(m): 1:52pm On Dec 29, 2012
Lol @ Topic

I learnt driving without shoes and it went on for quite sometime until I saw a friend driving with TIMBERLAND boots....that realy inspired me......from then onward, I started driving with shoes....infact I feel uncomfortable driving without shoes!
Re: Driving With Or Without Shoes by Okworigeorge(m): 3:10pm On Dec 29, 2012
una dey here d talk anoda tyn wer USAIN BOLT don enta 2013

1 Like

Re: Driving With Or Without Shoes by Okworigeorge(m): 3:10pm On Dec 29, 2012
una dey here d talk anoda tyn wer USAIN BOLT don enta 2013

1 Like

Re: Driving With Or Without Shoes by SisiKill1: 3:19pm On Dec 29, 2012
Depends on the shoes. ..in flats, I don't take em off but if I am wearing really really high heels or my shakabula combat boots, I take them off...even then sef it's only if I am driving more than 5 miles and it's just for comfort sake.

2 Likes

Re: Driving With Or Without Shoes by Nobody: 3:20pm On Dec 29, 2012
I don't like driving with shoes on.
Re: Driving With Or Without Shoes by Sitex(m): 3:21pm On Dec 29, 2012
I love getting a feel of my pedal,its easier to alterate my foot btw the accelarator and the breakpedal when am barefoot.
No mata how heavily dressed i am, b4 driving! SHOES OFF
Re: Driving With Or Without Shoes by Uchenna42(m): 3:24pm On Dec 29, 2012
I love driving with Supra grin

1 Like

Re: Driving With Or Without Shoes by chyket(m): 3:25pm On Dec 29, 2012
I use to drive with my shoes on but it spoils the back of my right shoe so I stopped

2 Likes

Re: Driving With Or Without Shoes by sniperwolf(m): 3:25pm On Dec 29, 2012
I prefer slippers
Re: Driving With Or Without Shoes by misterh(m): 3:27pm On Dec 29, 2012
@ topic, i drive with and without shoes. But i prefer being shoeless as it seems i'm having a personal relationship with the car? Tho i learnt using my barefoot.
Re: Driving With Or Without Shoes by cnnolofofo(f): 3:28pm On Dec 29, 2012
still like it without shoes on,expecially when i want to really accelerate.
Re: Driving With Or Without Shoes by FlyboyZee: 3:32pm On Dec 29, 2012
When I first started drive, I used to take off my shoes, thinking that they may impede my control on the pedals. But, now I know better and wiser. It didn't actually take me long to start driving with my shoes on & they have stayed on ever since the second month I started driving. Now, it even seems odd and awkward when I see people driving without shoes.
Re: Driving With Or Without Shoes by Shaw007(m): 3:32pm On Dec 29, 2012
It actually depends on the type of shoes I'm wearIng .. .If i'm wearing corprate shoes or footwears with Laces that wont go off easy,drive with shoes,

but if I'm wearing slippers or maybe even sandals,subconsciously it'LL be bare-foot on d pedals,without me actuaLLy fully knowing. . .

And i beLIeve,generally it kinda depends on d type of shoes ur wearing!
Re: Driving With Or Without Shoes by omodapson(m): 3:33pm On Dec 29, 2012
Shoes do it for me.
Re: Driving With Or Without Shoes by goldfish80(m): 3:34pm On Dec 29, 2012
Any guy that puts off his shoes b4 driving,has strong gay tendency #imho#

2 Likes

Re: Driving With Or Without Shoes by Iaz93: 3:34pm On Dec 29, 2012
Re: Driving With Or Without Shoes by Jarus(m): 3:34pm On Dec 29, 2012
I drive with any shoe , by i prefer slippers.
Re: Driving With Or Without Shoes by Iaz93: 3:35pm On Dec 29, 2012
goldfish80: Any guy that puts off his shoes b4 driving,has strong gay tendency #imho#
Lmao

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

"For Sale" Sign On Moving Vehicles Illegal - FCT VIO / 5 Annoying Things Nigerian Drivers Do With Their Car Horn / See How To Debadge A Mercedes Benz CLA 250 Or Any Car Brand

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.