Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,466 members, 7,819,703 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 09:19 PM

Are Smartphones Affecting Our Written And Spoken English Skills? - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Are Smartphones Affecting Our Written And Spoken English Skills? (11767 Views)

My Accent Is Affecting Me Acedemically,pls Help!!! / Nigerians and 'gbagaun' - Common Spoken English Errors / How To Improve My Spoken English? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Are Smartphones Affecting Our Written And Spoken English Skills? by JideTheBlogger(m): 6:40pm On Dec 29, 2012
Yomieluv: I dnt knw of som1 else,but its not affectin me at all,dats y I wrote dis in gud english

really affecting you

1 Like

Re: Are Smartphones Affecting Our Written And Spoken English Skills? by Sirgen05(m): 6:58pm On Dec 29, 2012
afam4eva]God punish spoken English. How about spoken Igbo and Yoruba. Why's no one worried about them? Gbam!!!
Re: Are Smartphones Affecting Our Written And Spoken English Skills? by ujukala: 7:05pm On Dec 29, 2012
I believe that it is an individual thing. Most jobseekers know where to use it and where not to. Read up the article by visiting our site.
Re: Are Smartphones Affecting Our Written And Spoken English Skills? by plendil: 7:09pm On Dec 29, 2012
@OP, I don't believe it is.

As long as the individual has been well grounded in the fundamentals of English, recourse to text-speak should have absolutely no effect on his/her proficiency.

And yes, I speak from experience.
Re: Are Smartphones Affecting Our Written And Spoken English Skills? by Ardedaryor(m): 7:15pm On Dec 29, 2012
[b][/b]PASSING BY[s][/s]but noted
Re: Are Smartphones Affecting Our Written And Spoken English Skills? by AZeD1(m): 7:23pm On Dec 29, 2012
abiL: I think it's silly for grown people to write in text formats. Even when I'm sending a text message, I type my words out in full (it's time consuming, but who cares! grin). I'm not a fan of abbreviations.

I work with some qualified professionals who cannot even write properly, with all their degrees and qualifications.

Years ago I did a voluntary post at a secondary school and it was appalling how some of the kids wrote their essays like they were text messaging their friends.

Oh yeah, people that also write like this 'I waz sLEeping whEn dis woZ...' should be killed mercilessly.
I'm with you on this!!!
Re: Are Smartphones Affecting Our Written And Spoken English Skills? by redsun(m): 7:34pm On Dec 29, 2012
It is called the evolution of an active,in the case the slave master's language.Which ever way language is made simpler and understandable is the way it goes.It doesnt remain static because everything evolves as time passes and language is the key mode expresion of evolution,of man's environment,experiences and endeavours.

The people with dead original language are the people that have lost their ways,the people that have ben swept away by superior culture like most africans.
Re: Are Smartphones Affecting Our Written And Spoken English Skills? by elcatino: 7:37pm On Dec 29, 2012
ebucha: Queens English does not improve the economy of a nation, ask the Chinese prime minister (fastest growin economy), Germans or maybe Japanese. The English currency and Economy overtook ours years back cos they made us slave to their language. Gramma good oh,but e no go giv us light,water and road. SEEK FOR DEVELOPMENTAL KNOWLEDGE!!
Tank u ma broda. I no know wetin c
oncern yansh wit tootbrush,mtcheeeeeeeeeew

1 Like

Re: Are Smartphones Affecting Our Written And Spoken English Skills? by soulamanne(m): 7:44pm On Dec 29, 2012
As if it isn't bad enough,some silly people have come up with words like jes(just),fink(think),buffday(birthday) etc.it isn't a smartphone thing,youth of these days are becoming so intellectually lazy.I can proudly say I belong to the few who have refused to be drawn into such unintelligent mode of communication
Re: Are Smartphones Affecting Our Written And Spoken English Skills? by temitemi1(m): 7:45pm On Dec 29, 2012
Yes o!
Re: Are Smartphones Affecting Our Written And Spoken English Skills? by elcatino: 7:57pm On Dec 29, 2012
This Nairaland sef! I know no why pple dey develop so much interest in speaking and writing good English over our mother-tongue,na good English go change our economy? Later una go dey tell us say make we do away wit pidgin english and our local dialects coz he go fit corrupt us,huh? Wetin concern madman with visitor sef. The most annoying thing is majority of these people complaining don't even no how to speak their own local dialect,bt dem sabi fight for English language.

1 Like

Re: Are Smartphones Affecting Our Written And Spoken English Skills? by yuzedo: 8:01pm On Dec 29, 2012
A-ZeD:
You don't blame smart phones for the laziness of humans. No smart phone/phone comes with "text speak".
Tellem my brother!

A-ZeD:
Its truly annoying when adults resort to writing "text speak" on a public forum. I can tolerate bad grammar but "text speak" just makes me write you off as un intelligent and not worth responding to
I can't even tolerate bad grammar! undecided
Re: Are Smartphones Affecting Our Written And Spoken English Skills? by Nobody: 8:02pm On Dec 29, 2012
Re: Are Smartphones Affecting Our Written And Spoken English Skills? by Lovetinz(m): 8:02pm On Dec 29, 2012
Unemployment is Nigeria's biggest problem.

The only problem of Nairaland is user's illiteracy.

The former one can be solved, not so for the later.

1 Like

Re: Are Smartphones Affecting Our Written And Spoken English Skills? by BabaEto1: 8:07pm On Dec 29, 2012
Koolking: It irritates me, in fact, I don't even waste my resource (time) reading short-worded comments and documents. What stops people from typing words the way they were taught, even when they have enough space to accommodate what they have to pass across to their listeners/readers. Personally, I see people who form such habits as unintelligent, docile and boring. It has nothing to do with Smart phones.

Don't claim to be Mr know all here, the fact that pple write in abbreviatn does nt mean dey r not intelligent or brilliant it jus to save space and time wen writin informally. Wen I write formally I don't use such abreviatns. A serious minded person will not use such in an official document. Enjoy ur day.

2 Likes

Re: Are Smartphones Affecting Our Written And Spoken English Skills? by Megaxy(m): 8:10pm On Dec 29, 2012
Yomieluv: I dnt knw of som1 else,but its not affectin me at all,dats y I wrote dis in gud english
Yeah, i can realy c its nt affectin u. :-)
better confess.
Re: Are Smartphones Affecting Our Written And Spoken English Skills? by IYANGBALI: 8:19pm On Dec 29, 2012
Lakayana: OLODO you dare open your dull mouth to call UNCLE JONATHAN.
who do you want me to call?was he not the one that promised to give us fresh air?abeg o no spoil my show for me o
Re: Are Smartphones Affecting Our Written And Spoken English Skills? by denzel2009: 8:32pm On Dec 29, 2012
It's not smart phones...it's a new form of disability! If you are above 20 and write/chat with me in text speak, I put you in my retardd pool.
Re: Are Smartphones Affecting Our Written And Spoken English Skills? by deenee: 8:38pm On Dec 29, 2012
The sentence structure of the topic itself is grammatically incorrect to start with. Perhaps, the moderator can review this

And Yes....it is really affecting our oral and written English in great leaps and bounds!
Re: Are Smartphones Affecting Our Written And Spoken English Skills? by elcatino: 8:59pm On Dec 29, 2012
Baba Eto:

Don't claim to be Mr know all here, the fact that pple write in abbreviatn does nt mean dey r not intelligent or brilliant it jus to save space and time wen writin informally. Wen I write formally I don't use such abreviatns. A serious minded person will not use such in an official document. Enjoy ur day.
#Gbam# God bless u

1 Like

Re: Are Smartphones Affecting Our Written And Spoken English Skills? by redsun(m): 9:26pm On Dec 29, 2012
el catino: This Nairaland sef! I know no why pple dey develop so much interest in speaking and writing good English over our mother-tongue,na good English go change our economy? Later una go dey tell us say make we do away wit pidgin english and our local dialects coz he go fit corrupt us,huh? Wetin concern madman with visitor sef. The most annoying thing is majority of these people complaining don't even no how to speak their own local dialect,bt dem sabi fight for English language.

When you hear people like that,that is when you hear a troubled africans,the mentally enslaved africans.And it is very embarassing to a normal african in a world where people without fundamental heritages are seen as sub-human,just like most of them see africans that behave like english language zealots and propagators as if they are the tudors or the victorians or in anyway related to them.

1 Like

Re: Are Smartphones Affecting Our Written And Spoken English Skills? by AZeD1(m): 9:30pm On Dec 29, 2012
el catino: This Nairaland sef! I know no why pple dey develop so much interest in speaking and writing good English over our mother-tongue,na good English go change our economy? Later una go dey tell us say make we do away wit pidgin english and our local dialects coz he go fit corrupt us,huh? Wetin concern madman with visitor sef. The most annoying thing is majority of these people complaining don't even no how to speak their own local dialect,bt dem sabi fight for English language.
English is the official language of the country, the constitution is written in English,its the only subject that is compulsory in Jamb.
Re: Are Smartphones Affecting Our Written And Spoken English Skills? by plendil: 9:35pm On Dec 29, 2012
deenee: The sentence structure of the topic itself is grammatically incorrect to start with. Perhaps, the moderator can review this

And Yes....it is really affecting our oral and written English in great leaps and bounds!

what is wrong with the sentence?
Re: Are Smartphones Affecting Our Written And Spoken English Skills? by sholay2011(m): 9:36pm On Dec 29, 2012
uote author=Sunymoore]Quite tru cox i rembrd whn i was wrtng englsh dis yea, instd of schools i wrote .skulls. Its truli quite unfotunt. But as frm nw, i will tri as much as i can to wrte a complt wrd even in a forum o chat rum.[/quote]

Guilty as charged! grin
Re: Are Smartphones Affecting Our Written And Spoken English Skills? by Sike(m): 9:37pm On Dec 29, 2012
afam4eva: God punish spoken English. How about spoken Igbo and Yoruba. Why's no one worried about them?
Gbammmmm!
Re: Are Smartphones Affecting Our Written And Spoken English Skills? by beatricewebb: 9:40pm On Dec 29, 2012
initially am not good at spellings so i never indulge myself in abbreviation even while chatting with friens because i know when i expose my deficiency i will become better with time.
Re: Are Smartphones Affecting Our Written And Spoken English Skills? by Nobody: 9:45pm On Dec 29, 2012
SniperInADiaper:

But wouldnt you say that abbreviations and certain text speak like LOL and BRB is much different than changing words completely like U for You and UR for You Are.

Yes they are. However the effects are still the same. Some computer savy or "net slang" speakers tend to forget who they are communicating with most times. If you send an email to an elder relative or someone who may not know what "LOL" or "BRB" means, it could not only confuse them but give off a negative view of you.

I am guilty of this too btw (by the way). wink
Re: Are Smartphones Affecting Our Written And Spoken English Skills? by confusion247(m): 9:51pm On Dec 29, 2012
SamConquer: MTCHEWWWW MU.MU TOPIC AGAIN
Is like you forget to take your drugs today. Please kindly take your drugs and act normal
Re: Are Smartphones Affecting Our Written And Spoken English Skills? by Nobody: 9:53pm On Dec 29, 2012
Baba Eto:

@bolded: SPOT ON!!!
Using internet slang or abbreviations does not mean someone is not intelligent. The issue is that the generations before us did not have such easy access (if any) to the internet and therefore are not used to certain expressions. They should understand that some of the most intelligent people abbreviate. In fact our BRB is like their "etc" or "asap". For as long as language has been in existence, there was always other ways to express oneself. English has evolved many times. From being pure Germanic to what it is today, it's still changing. That's life.

As for the red part, carelessness or not paying attention to what you are doing can cause that. It happens to the best of us sometimes. Don't assume it can't/won't happen to you now. wink

1 Like

Re: Are Smartphones Affecting Our Written And Spoken English Skills? by Lakayana: 10:09pm On Dec 29, 2012
IYA NGBALI: who do you want me to call?was he not the one that promised to give us fresh air?abeg o no spoil my show for me o
Don't worry i will pay for private lessons for you maybe then some fresh air will get into your brain send your account number to me.
Re: Are Smartphones Affecting Our Written And Spoken English Skills? by Smallville4live(m): 10:10pm On Dec 29, 2012
The extend it has affected the students is so much than we can imagine. We have to stop it now or it will destroy them.
Re: Are Smartphones Affecting Our Written And Spoken English Skills? by chidexy(m): 10:20pm On Dec 29, 2012
afam4eva: God punish spoken English. How about spoken Igbo and Yoruba. Why's no one worried about them?

@Afam, English is now a universal language. Mastering it will not impede fluency in one's mother tongue or ability to learn other languages. We may not know the disservice we are doing to ourselves until we find ourselves in the midst of people from other nations - most people find it difficult understanding our (Nigerian) diction.

The earlier we get serious (and hard) with the young ones on the proper use of spoken and written language skills, the better for us. Other nations are taking note and Nigerians are gradually being required to write English language test to prove their proficiency - what was unheard of some years ago

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

JAMB, NYSC Move Against Fraudulent Practices (vanguard) / 5 Important Things You Need To Know About JAMB 2018 / LAUTECH To Graduate 10,317, 105 First Class, 112 Ph.d

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.