Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,018 members, 7,818,017 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:37 AM

I Need Solar Power For My House. - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / I Need Solar Power For My House. (1428 Views)

A Cobra That Was Killed In My House This Early Morning / Picture : Male And Female Civet Cat Killed At The Back Of My House / I Need Solar Panel (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Need Solar Power For My House. by sunshineky(m): 5:31pm On Dec 29, 2012
Hello, is there any solar panel, inverter savy person in the house to give me a good recommendation.

I intend to power my house ( 32' flat screen, dstv decorder and 10units energy bulbs) so I can enjoy electricity in the day time Άŋϑ have some stored in the battery for use after sundown to last upto 11pm.

I need advises fast pls
Re: I Need Solar Power For My House. by pictures: 5:56pm On Dec 29, 2012
Government should set up a department of solar energy in all states , that is
subsidized where people can get their house powered by solar energy at affordable price,
instead of buying generators. The UK government is currently doing this, tax free. This
will solve 40% of power problem.

1 Like

Re: I Need Solar Power For My House. by kevoh(m): 6:37pm On Dec 29, 2012
sunshineky: Hello, is there any solar panel, inverter savy person in the house to give me a good recommendation.

I intend to power my house ( 32' flat screen, dstv decorder and 10units energy bulbs) so I can enjoy electricity in the day time Άŋϑ have some stored in the battery for use after sundown to last upto 11pm.

I need advises fast pls

If you reside in abuja I can help you with the installation of a standalone Solar power system for your house.

If you reside outside abuja then I can only list the basic components you will need for the installation, which are
1. Solar panels
2. Charge Controller (Morningstar for example)
3. Good and Reliable Deep Cycle Batteries
4. Inverter (Pure Sine Wave)

Now these are just the basic components as other components will come into play depending on how the installation will be done in your house like frame support for the panels, battery rack for the batteries, Inverter power output, cables e.t.c
Re: I Need Solar Power For My House. by kevoh(m): 7:12pm On Dec 29, 2012
Taking into consideration
Energy saving bulb : 15 W
Dstv decoder : 25 W
32' flat screen : 150W
(The power output could be more as I am not at your house to know the actual power of your devices)

After making the necessary calculations, I believe you'll be needing:
4 Solar panels 12V/120W
1 charge controller 30 A
4 12V/200 Ah Deep cycle batteries
1 Inverter 1.5KVA or 2KVA.

Each solar component is subject to price variation as there are various brands and we all know the better the brand the more expensive it might be, meanwhile the cost of other componets like fuse/circuit breakers, cables, racks e.t.c will also act on the price of your installation. You can send me a mail ohizest@yahoodotcodotuk remember to remove the dots or send me an sms on Zero8Zero77135330 if you feel the need to contact me.
Re: I Need Solar Power For My House. by sunshineky(m): 9:21pm On Dec 29, 2012
kevoh: Taking into consideration
Energy saving bulb : 15 W
Dstv decoder : 25 W
32' flat screen : 150W
(The power output could be more as I am not at your house to know the actual power of your devices)

After making the necessary calculations, I believe you'll be needing:
4 Solar panels 12V/120W
1 charge controller 30 A
4 12V/200 Ah Deep cycle batteries
1 Inverter 1.5KVA or 2KVA.

Each solar component is subject to price variation as there are various brands and we all know the better the brand the more expensive it might be, meanwhile the cost of other componets like fuse/circuit breakers, cables, racks e.t.c will also act on the price of your installation. You can send me a mail ohizest@yahoodotcodotuk remember to remove the dots or send me an sms on Zero8Zero77135330 if you feel the need to contact me.

This list would be expensive.
4 panels is alot.
I really do not need power 24/7, i just need power during the day and enough to power same tins
upto 11pm.

I guess a gen would be cheaper afterall, i do have a gen but i am tired of fueling both gen and car.
Thanks bros
Re: I Need Solar Power For My House. by kevoh(m): 9:44pm On Dec 29, 2012
sunshineky:

4 panels is alot.
I really do not need power 24/7, i just need power during the day and enough to power same tins
upto 11pm.

I guess a gen would be cheaper afterall, i do have a gen but i am tired of fueling both gen and car.
Thanks bros
A gen is not cheaper, by the time you factor in cost of fuel and maintenance of generator in a year you will find out that you have actually spent the same amount on solar system, not to talk of the fluctuation of fuel price and scarcity of fuel at times. I won't even mention the noise, smoke and the discomfort of having to go outside by 11p.m to put off your gen when you should be in bed.

With Solar it's a long term investment, solar panels last from 20 to 25 years with little or no maintenance, no noise, no smoke, no unnecessary breaking down like generators and you get a return on your investment after a few years of not paying bills and buying fuel.

My advice is to start small, get maybe the inverter + batteries and be using since you just want power till 11p.m.
If after a few months you are financially bouyant you can then go for the panels and complete your installation.
Re: I Need Solar Power For My House. by Zemhen1: 8:36pm On Jan 03, 2013
sunshineky:

4 panels is alot.
upto 11pm.

Thanks bros

I won't really advise you to get the solar panel or will I say it's not necessary, cos it's expensive and also fragile.......but you can still use the batteries and inverter.........it will cut the cost of fuel to less than half on the long run

(1) (Reply)

How To Easily Add Emoji On Instagram With Your Smartphone. / Bugs In Adobe's Reader And Acrobat Software / How To Download APK Files From Playstore To PC Using Mozilla Firefox/chrome

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.