Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,175 members, 7,821,982 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 11:32 PM

GRE And TOEFL Examinations - Educational Services - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Educational Services / GRE And TOEFL Examinations (63658 Views)

Does Passing GRE And TOEFL Guarantee A Scholarship? / Toefl, Sat, Gre And Gmat Tutorials, Admissions/scholarship And Visa To Us. / Proffesional Examinations (toefl, Gmat, Sat Etc) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

GRE And TOEFL Examinations by Rare(m): 7:17pm On Apr 26, 2006
Gre , Toefl Candidates. Let's Talk!

Please, is anybody here a registered candidate for GRE or TOEFL this year, and resident in Abuja?. I need people to share ideas and resources with. We can all benefit. "Two good heads are better than one"
Re: GRE And TOEFL Examinations by dafman(m): 10:54pm On Apr 26, 2006
hi there rare, registered for the gre and toefl, but i'm not in abuja doesn't mean we can't still share ideas though
Re: GRE And TOEFL Examinations by Consultant(f): 11:35pm On Apr 27, 2006
I'm not registered for the GRE this year but i've done it before and had 1460/1600. If you have any questions, you can ask me, i'll be glad to help.
Re: GRE And TOEFL Examinations by balash(m): 10:03pm On Apr 29, 2006
yeah i wanna write SAT but iwll have prefer toefl cos i will love a school in uk but i dont knw haw to go abt it anyhelp plz
Re: GRE And TOEFL Examinations by Nobody: 4:25pm On Apr 30, 2006
i 've taken toefl before and i applied online, it's very easy that way. you can choose the country of your choics to take the test. Heres a link:
http://www.ets.org/bin/getprogram.cgi?test=toefl.

If you wanna apply online.
Re: GRE And TOEFL Examinations by Nobody: 10:24pm On May 27, 2006
Consultant! a 1460 in the GRE! shocked

i bow o! I had a 1430 and i was giving myself a pat on the back until i saw this indian geniuses with a 1500 and 1550!

The verbal section blew my teeth out!
Re: GRE And TOEFL Examinations by Rare(m): 12:42pm On May 30, 2006
I'm taking my GRE in about two weeks. The quantitative section; I'm almost an expert. The essays, my dexterity is improving seriously; but the VERBAL section is a nightmare , especially the antonyms and analogies. HELP
Re: GRE And TOEFL Examinations by Nobody: 3:41pm On May 30, 2006
@rare,

get flashcards that contain the antonyms and synonyms or the meaning of the words and keep reading them. practice the verbal section every waking minute u've got and DON'T PANIC on the real exam!
Re: GRE And TOEFL Examinations by pfowighz(m): 4:35pm On May 30, 2006
On TOEFL,

I think I agree with nonny, for TOEFL online is good. I did the online one. I think it is fast, safe and convenient.

ANd please, believe me if ur going for admission inthe US, it is one of the cheapest exams ull write, I had a 290/300

6/6 in the (typewritten) essay and then I was 17. So please, never fear and one thing; remember to bring ur Int Passport and confirmation thats all u'll need (apart from a cool head.) wink
Re: GRE And TOEFL Examinations by Consultant(f): 8:12pm On May 30, 2006
Consultant! a 1460 in the GRE!

i bow o! I had a 1430 and i was giving myself a pat on the back until i saw this indian geniuses with a 1500 and 1550!

The verbal section blew my teeth out!

I had actually been hoping for a higher score but like you all said, the verbal in GRE is something else. You learn tons of words only to see a whole new set in the exam! Anyway, the best strategy really is the flashcards. Also if you can lay your hands on the Kaplan Test Prep CD, it has really nice word games that you can play and that will make memorizing the synonyms enjoyable for you. All the best.
Re: GRE And TOEFL Examinations by Rare(m): 6:56pm On May 31, 2006
You guys are simply wonderful. Can you believe I nevr knew anything about these"flashcards". GRE, here I come!!!!!!
Re: GRE And TOEFL Examinations by kananyi: 8:46pm On May 31, 2006
I did it a while ago  my verbal hit lists are uploaded @ www.my9ja.com/download. All the best
Re: GRE And TOEFL Examinations by folkzy(f): 7:32pm On Jun 01, 2006
My friend took TOEFL n she got d highest mark {230}. she took it 4weeks ago. If u need any help, i might ask her 4 u.lol
Re: GRE And TOEFL Examinations by Nobody: 7:46pm On Jun 01, 2006
Wow, the highest mark at 230? I had a 290 and a friend had 293
Re: GRE And TOEFL Examinations by Consultant(f): 10:12pm On Jun 01, 2006
BTW, most schools require you to have at least a 250 on the TOEFL to qualify for admission.
Re: GRE And TOEFL Examinations by Rare(m): 8:02pm On Jun 03, 2006
Does a high score in TOEFL in any way aid in getting grants/scholarships; like you can hope with a high score in the GRE?
Re: GRE And TOEFL Examinations by Nobody: 8:40pm On Jun 03, 2006
Nope, your GRE is your key. Most schools won't bother looking at your TOEFL if you score really well on the verbal section of the GRE. The TOEFL is just to ensure you can cope with American style of English. Most schools require 250 and above in the TOEFL though.
Re: GRE And TOEFL Examinations by Rare(m): 5:18pm On Jun 06, 2006
I'm sorry to say this but TOUCHE Nigeria in Sheraton Hotel Abuja (who adminster the GRE &TOEFL CBT) are such a dissapointment .
I can't believe after paying quite some sum for my TOEFL test; I showed up on test day and couldn't test, due to technical problems. The problem persisted for two whole days.

Now I have to call PROMETRIC in the Netherlands to complain and reschedule ( because TOUCHE Nigeria can't do that), and I can't seem to get a clear connection; it's always attenuated and noisy signals.

Can you believe this frustration. All what you have to do to go to Grad. school?? embarassed
Re: GRE And TOEFL Examinations by dafman(m): 1:31pm On Jun 07, 2006
Sorry bro, samething happened with my GRE at touche Lagos, when i got there on test day, they told me that my name was not on the list of those to test and it was an error from ets, It took them almost 4 days to get me a number that i needed to contact prometric netherlands inorder to reshedule.

I've resheduled but not without parting with almost 800 naira for a phone call.
Re: GRE And TOEFL Examinations by Rare(m): 3:13pm On Jun 07, 2006
@DAFMAN; I hope I have the right number i.e : ++31 320 239 593. I keep getting a voice mail. Is that what you also experienced?
Re: GRE And TOEFL Examinations by Rare(m): 3:15pm On Jun 07, 2006
The mysterious things that are happening with these exams baffle me?
Today I received another confirmation of my GRE on a different (further date) than the one I had earlier received. This isn't what I bargained for?
Re: GRE And TOEFL Examinations by Nobody: 3:46pm On Jun 07, 2006
Rare:

The mysterious things that are happening with these exams baffle me?
Today I received another confirmation of my GRE on a different (further date) than the one I had earlier received. This isn't what I bargained for?
What are you guys talking about? i thot you applied for the exams, you got a confirmation email in 2 weeks and you just went and took the exams. Is it still at 19A abagbon close, VI? touche ltd?
Re: GRE And TOEFL Examinations by Rare(m): 7:28pm On Jun 07, 2006
davidylan:

What are you guys talking about? i thot you applied for the exams, you got a confirmation email in 2 weeks and you just went and took the exams. Is it still at 19A abagbon close, VI? touche ltd?

Yes you're right I registered; got a confirmation, and five days to the exam date, here comes another e-mail telling me my date has been postposend by 36 days , b'cos the Abuja test centre will be closed on my earlier chosen date. This is crazy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: GRE And TOEFL Examinations by Nobody: 7:51pm On Jun 07, 2006
@rare

awwww, pele.

It is well. and have you been given a new date? Rescheduling is not as easy as they make it look in the brochure.
Re: GRE And TOEFL Examinations by dafman(m): 2:05pm On Jun 08, 2006
The centre is still at touche ltd, V.I. It just happens that some names of candidates to test for that day are not sent to the computer at the test centre and if that happens to be you, you have to reschedule for another day.

@rare
That's the correct number, but when you call you'll first hear the recorded voice, just wait for the voice to finish 'yarning' , someone would pick it up.
Re: GRE And TOEFL Examinations by ajanimike(m): 3:02pm On Jun 22, 2006
I AM RESIDING IN GWARINPA,ABJ,HOPING TO WRITE THE EXAM IN AUG(GRE AND TOEFL), WE WILL CAN WORK TOGETHER. THIS ARE MY DETAILS 08036134177 ,tokunboajani@yahoo.com.
Re: GRE And TOEFL Examinations by eldee(m): 5:38am On Jun 26, 2006
i did toefl with touche too, but now my problem is how to get back my results
Re: GRE And TOEFL Examinations by Rare(m): 11:36am On Jun 26, 2006
The problems which may crop up with respect to these standard tests are innumerable.  
They are not as effeicient as they seem on their bulletins; but I suppose it's the price you have to pay when doing such things online. So many new challenges, and inherent techical problems.
Re: GRE And TOEFL Examinations by WesleyanA(f): 7:30pm On Mar 31, 2007
I took the toefl in school last year 'cause i qualified for being bilingual (it was free and it looked good on applications). It wasn't that bad, I wish all my tests and exams were as easy as that. lol lipsrsealed
Re: GRE And TOEFL Examinations by nikebaby(f): 11:06am On Apr 04, 2007
you guys should pls send me info on how to register for gre and toefl in Nigeria especially the easiest way to effect payment

thanks
Re: GRE And TOEFL Examinations by whiteNkem(f): 2:17pm On Apr 04, 2007
As it's been mantioned above, the easiest way to register for toefl is online at http://ets.org/teofl and pay via credit card. In 10min you're already registered!

And fo all those who haven't taken it yet, it's not that difficult. I took it in Dec `06 so I had the chance to take the last version: Internet Based Test (Toefl iBT). My score was 110 out of 120 and that with some technical problems.
Just pay attention at the speaking part, cuz due to the 'internet' thingy, it might block for a few seconds, so try the free test online before actually taking the exam, cuz this way you'll get an idea about how it is.

Good luck!
Re: GRE And TOEFL Examinations by sac25478: 4:44pm On Apr 27, 2007
All those complaining about Touche Nigeria Ltd at Victoria Island or Abuja or anywhere, you need to get your facts straight before you start complaining. The problems you are going through are because of Prometric itself and not Touche. This is the reason you were given the Prometric number. Believe me, you wont find another test site better than Touche. And yes, it is the price to pay for graduate school. Nothing is easy. By the way, good luck to all who are going for studies overseas.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

STUDY IN REPUBLIC OF BENIN,COTONOU 2016/2017 ENROLLMENT / Secrets Of Smashing JAMB With High Scores / Free sponsorship for your Education Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.