Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,752 members, 7,820,590 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 05:48 PM

Suv Or Jeep - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Suv Or Jeep (1850 Views)

Modernised Hummer Jeep Spotted In Enugu / Brand New Renault Duster SUV Or Tokunbo 2012 Model RAV4 SUV? / Suv Or Saloon Car? Brand New Or Used? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Suv Or Jeep by knotty(m): 6:11pm On Dec 30, 2012
By what name do you call them?
Re: Suv Or Jeep by knotty(m): 11:33pm On Dec 30, 2012
Language is dynamic. It moves with time, fad, usage and application in numbers. Of all languages, English language, especially the American version of it is the most adaptable. Of the most potent drivers of language shift technology and population rank tops.
lots of the words we use today never existed in the English lexicon Someone thought it through to either COIN, ASSIMILATE or CORRUPT them. Therefore, a little open mindedness will certainly not be out of place in understanding why certain people use certain words on certain occasions.
It gets to me when people make you feel uneducated because you the word JEEP to designate the type of car you drive or admire. They often than not cite Brand rights as reasons why such vehicles cannot be so called.
While we may as a people have failings in our application of registers, for once and again, we are spot on this and i have no apologies. I drive a jeep. What do you drive?
let us frolic around for a while.

Go to Facebook, type the word `facebook`. It comes with a highlighted warning, informing you that you have entered a wrong word.

Well, today, facebook is a valid English word. It is indeed a VERB.

Remember the advert, DON,T JUST SEND IT, DHL IT? DHL is not a valid word but FEDEX is now allowed as a valid English word. Same as FOREX, BIRO and many more
Jeep is now generic and it so applied. Yes,, it was a Brand, yes it may have been patented but world-scale application of the world has turned it generic.
Relating to or descriptive of an entire group or class; general is what is generic. But, for practical reasons, the automobile industry has to be specific to vehicle build to avoid ambiguity and also patent infringement.

But, hey, here in Nigeria, we no send them. 150million of us cannot be wrong, always,

So, teacher, where did you park your jeep?
Re: Suv Or Jeep by knotty(m): 11:33pm On Dec 30, 2012
Language is dynamic. It moves with time, fad, usage and application in numbers. Of all languages, English language, especially the American version of it is the most adaptable. Of the most potent drivers of language shift technology and population rank tops.
lots of the words we use today never existed in the English lexicon Someone thought it through to either COIN, ASSIMILATE or CORRUPT them. Therefore, a little open mindedness will certainly not be out of place in understanding why certain people use certain words on certain occasions.
It gets to me when people make you feel uneducated because you the word JEEP to designate the type of car you drive or admire. They often than not cite Brand rights as reasons why such vehicles cannot be so called.
While we may as a people have failings in our application of registers, for once and again, we are spot on this and i have no apologies. I drive a jeep. What do you drive?
let us frolic around for a while.

Go to Facebook, type the word `facebook`. It comes with a highlighted warning, informing you that you have entered a wrong word.

Well, today, facebook is a valid English word. It is indeed a VERB.

Remember the advert, DON,T JUST SEND IT, DHL IT? DHL is not a valid word but FEDEX is now allowed as a valid English word. Same as FOREX, BIRO and many more
Jeep is now generic and it so applied. Yes,, it was a Brand, yes it may have been patented but world-scale application of the world has turned it generic.
Relating to or descriptive of an entire group or class; general is what is generic. But, for practical reasons, the automobile industry has to be specific to vehicle build to avoid ambiguity and also patent infringement.

But, hey, here in Nigeria, we no send them. 150million of us cannot be wrong, always,

So, teacher, where did you park your jeep?

1 Like

Re: Suv Or Jeep by Nobody: 12:44pm On Dec 31, 2012
I call them trucks not jeeps, afterall Nigeria is a place where things get destroyed.
Re: Suv Or Jeep by BluStreak(m): 12:27am On Jan 01, 2013
tpacalipse: I call them trucks not jeeps, afterall Nigeria is a place where things get destroyed.

Well, sorry to say you even shot way off the goal post in your own case. SUVs or Jeeps as it is popularly called in Naija is not same as trucks. Trucks are the class with a bucket or open carriage compartment.
Re: Suv Or Jeep by MMotimo: 1:15am On Jan 01, 2013
^^^^^

Right or wrong, lots of Americans call SUVs trucks

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

2015 Mercedes Benz C-klasse / What Is And Why Vin? / Install Fog Light On 2005 Honda Pilot

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.