Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,187 members, 7,829,250 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 10:40 PM

Let's Talk About Rejecting Web Jobs - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Let's Talk About Rejecting Web Jobs (912 Views)

Lets Talk About How Blogging Can Help Solve Nigeria Unemployment. / Google Ads Rejecting Site / Why Is Google Adsense Rejecting My Application (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Let's Talk About Rejecting Web Jobs by tundewoods(m): 12:48am On Feb 22, 2008
Now first things first,this thread is not about pride or ego.But my own honest and point blank opinion and view that at some stage you just have to know when to play,stack or quit a game of cards,sorry i mean web projects.

Over the years i have come to develop myself to the point where i can conviniently reject some web jobs not because the price was not right,but due to some factors ranging from smelling trouble in terms of un realistic clients being to fussy and demanding,illegitimate web jobs,i guess you know what i mean and finally when there seems to be to much work on deck for me and the rest of my crew.

I know some folks would say that rather than reject a web job in totality they rather pass it on,outsource or recommend another web pro,but experience now show that when i reject a job i reject it in totality and let it go.

Abi na by force to do job for client ! grin
Re: Let's Talk About Rejecting Web Jobs by my2cents(m): 3:54am On Feb 22, 2008
This is a good topic!

A person of honor is so defined by their ability to say no even if it affects them in the long-run. Not all jobs are worthy of being outsourced. Why? Cos your company name and integrity are on the line. What if the company you outsource to messes up? The client won't care about them but about you. Next thing you know, word goes around and business likely decreases. Also, depending on your cash flows, atimes, it might not be a bad idea to reject jobs on the grounds that you are very busy even if you're not. Why? This gives the client the impression that you are a very busy shop. Besides, you could even use the opportunity to tell the client that if they want it done they will have to pay extra for it as a rush job. For those wondering, "how could he say that?", save it as it happens in other aspects of business. Why should web dev be any different (I hear some of you saying, "abi?" to which I say, "good for you tongue)?

One dictum I have always lived by is under-promise but over-deliver. Whereby, as you have stated, you perceive the client is over-demanding or wanting you to deliver everything including the kitchen sink, if you know it can't be done, just say no. It's better than you staying up late for days on end, just because you said yes or to "show dis guy who I be". Why? cos time is money and I bet that part wasn't calculated into the estimates.

Finally, if you smell a rat, of course you probably won't break it down to the client like that but you could diplomatically reject the job on the grounds of say, the expectations are unrealistic. That way both parties leave in a win-win situation.

Bottomline, as you said, no be by force to do job for client. Before settling for this option though, make sure your cash flow situation is sound otherwise na so you go go broke cool

As always, my 2 cents.
Re: Let's Talk About Rejecting Web Jobs by Afam(m): 10:53am On Feb 22, 2008
A very good topic.

The ability to look a client in the eye and say no to a web project even when money is on the table is hard but worth it. As long as you have a good reason to say no to a web project then it is all well and good.

Interesting points on outsourcing too. I would not outsource a project to someone I cannot vouch for, in fact even if I can vouch for the person what happens if the person decides to mess up the project for some reasons?

If you cannot do it, let the person look for someone else that way no one will blame you when something goes wrong.

Sometimes I ask clients to provide their account numbers so I can refund any money paid if I notice they are becoming too problematic. It saves one the stress and wahala of managing difficult clients because your best clients will never give you problems.
Re: Let's Talk About Rejecting Web Jobs by my2cents(m): 11:06am On Feb 22, 2008
For the record, I just wanted to add that I have rejected jobs, even when I needed the money badly, on the grounds that the money being offered was way off compared to what was required of me to do. When a friend said to me, "You are crazy. This could solve your problem. Just take it and charge higher next time", I replied, "sure it would take care of my problem but it's about the principle. Besides, if he tells someone else about me and says to him, 'this guy is good. He charges cheap for his work', I start a vicious circle of cheap clients/projects".

Another story:
Long time ago when I first decided to start doing side projects, someone approached me to do a website for him. When I gave him my price, he immediately, he ranted, "you know I could give have given to this to an Ibo (his words, not mine so don't blame me guys tongue) guy who would do the job at a much cheaper price but I say make I give you as you be my guy". The minute he said that, I diplomatically replied, "sorry sir but this arrangement will not work". I could have shouted back, "then go to the Ibo guy" but that's probably what he wanted me to do - entrap myself. The call ended but believe it or not, a month or so later, he called me back to do another site for him and agreed to the rate I quoted him. Go figure!

There are many times I have been tempted to sell my soul to the devil, so to speak, but I stood my ground on principle. Hopefully the end result is that client says to himself, "wow, this guy isn't like the others. I admire him for that".
Re: Let's Talk About Rejecting Web Jobs by tundewoods(m): 3:04pm On Feb 22, 2008
There are "A few good men of honor" when it comes to rejecting some web projects however the first 2 poster are cleary among the few good men of honor.No hard feelings,rejecting projects is a hard thing to do,especially when one is low of cash but is a sensible thing to do in certain scenario's just as mentioned by earlier posters.

(1) (Reply)

Small Web Design Outfit Needs A Proficient Web Developer / A Good Software That I Can Use To Design A Forum And A Dating Site. / Looking For An Admin For Ngwebhosts.com

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.