Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,533 members, 7,837,049 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 04:10 PM

Nairaland Mathematics Clinic - Education (85) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Nairaland Mathematics Clinic (482802 Views)

Mathematics Clinic / 2015 Cowbell Mathematics Champion, Akinkuowo Honoured By School. / Lead City University Clinic Welcomes First Ever Baby Since 10 Years Of Opening (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (82) (83) (84) (85) (86) (87) (88) ... (284) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by jackpot(f): 7:19pm On Oct 22, 2013
Alpha Maximus: ..... Smh, fucktards everywhere and a mega person(jackpot) here!! Can you now see why there's always an issue of 'half-baked' grraduates? I'm sure you never even made it to the oven!!! You're asking me if x^x+y^x=31 is a polynomial!! You're are an illiterate of no comparison!!*salutes* Wasn't it (5-y)^2+y^2-31=0 that I used as a polynomial!! For your info, a polynomial is an expression constructed of variables and constants using operations of addition, subtraction and multiplication with non-negative integer exponents(culled from Wikipedia)....do you see any mention of a polynomial being stictly of the 3rd or 4th degree, you intellectually devoid slowpoke!!! And about why I used the remainder theorem, isn't the first step of using it trying out integer values of 'x' or'y' first? Calling me a learner, you must be truly insane!! You think complex looking questions are always the hardest to solve, irredeemable mugu!! Who is forming,online again? Weren't you the one saying your solution was sexy? Pride is one of the deadly sins oh, and your seat is being reserved in the VIP section of Hell!!! And about that 'turns my solution into tissue paper' comment, the last time I met something like you , I flushed it down the toilet!!! Pompous piece of shit undecided
you applied the remainder theorem on precisely the equation (5-y)^(5-y)+y^y=31.

A polynomial has only integral powers. The equation you applied your newfound cu.m-fake "Alpha Maximum-Remainder Theorem" is not a polynomial. The general form of a polynomial is
P(x)=a_n x^n+. . .+a_2 x^2+a_1 x +a_0.

Bros, remainder theorem says that if a polynomial f(y) is divided by y-a, the remainder is R=f(a). For Gods sake, the remainder theorem is specifically talking about the remainder!

Dude even checked Wiki for definition of a polynomial which he carelessly misinterprets.

For the last time (5-y)^(5-y)+y^y=31 is not a polynomial.
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by dcitizen1: 7:28pm On Oct 22, 2013
Alpha, u again. U want to pick issue with a female general becos she constructively criticise ur approach to the problem. You need to take it easy. We are all here to learn but u need to becareful about ur working to a problem to prevent misinforming young aspiring mathematicians in the house. There is no point engaging a supremacy tussle with with jackpot or throwing tandrums at her. Jackpot as a female math general according to my assessment is quite intelligent and forward-looking . Also, u need to be humble and learn from her becos she has lived above board. Her math ingenuity, intellectual sagacity and prowess are what have won for her the general esteem and the confidence of others
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by AlphaMaximus(m): 7:32pm On Oct 22, 2013
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by AlphaMaximus(m): 7:34pm On Oct 22, 2013
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by AlphaMaximus(m): 7:38pm On Oct 22, 2013
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by 2nioshine(m): 7:47pm On Oct 22, 2013
@Jackpot u seems like my one tym gal who actually gave me a tough time and made me study like c.obi(hope u r nt d unizik gal)...alpha i luv ur math spirit no doubt u r no baby mathematician so lets b a little r***tional here(seun no dy pay or give us grades abeg),...double dx i was kinda di***pointed,but now u apologised we r kul...u remainent my most respectd boss...# Still in my observation mood#....nice wuk @ all 4 ur tym nd contributn(wish i could list al ur names)..sti following...wait o! Where is Richez

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by rhydex247(m): 7:52pm On Oct 22, 2013
lol @ jackpot u said d questn is nt correct. I dnt expect dat 4rm u. Anyway. All is well.
THE BEST DNT ALWAYS DO THE BEST.
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by jackpot(f): 7:55pm On Oct 22, 2013
Laplacian:
...@Jackpot...fear no allow me talk ooo...
I didnt know you noticed his miscellaneous errors too oh. And you are waiting for me to speak out, bah? Dude did magic and 3 appeared. He even substituted y=3 only in the indices/powers, leaving the y below untouched. Wonderful.

Now, I see what you mean. Dude is too insultive and yet, so error-prone!

Dude needs to be demoted from the rank of a Mathematics Sergeant to a Mathematics Corporal and with half-pay salary for all his mathematical atrocious atrocities. grin grin grin

last statement na joke ooo, before him go scatter my head with verbal missiles grin
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by Laplacian(m): 7:56pm On Oct 22, 2013
...@Jackpot...i'll advic u 2 reserv all comments concernin dat gentleman, i belive by now it should b obvious 2 everyone dat he abhors criticism, more developd in rainin insults dan coherently providin answers 2 questions...Jackpot i want 2 ask u a question, here's a man who claims 2 promot knowledge...publicly postin insults, what kind of knowledg is he promotin?...check his record from d tim he had issue wit Doubledx, about 75% of his issues seems 2 lie in d title dat some ppl just chose 4 demselves (just 4 fun)...i sugest we let him chose a name 4 himself 2 stop all dis cat & rat...my concern is mostly 4 our youngstars...by d way wat's 'SMH'?...
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by jackpot(f): 8:19pm On Oct 22, 2013
rhydex 247: lol @ jackpot u said d questn is nt correct. I dnt expect dat 4rm u. Anyway. All is well.
THE BEST DNT ALWAYS DO THE BEST.
i will give a definition of a vector space.

Let X be a non-empty set, K- a scalar field(usually K is taken to be IR, the real line). Suppose the functions +, . ,
+ : X x X ----> X
. : K x X ----> X
called respectively addition and scalar multiplication are defined(i.e., for arbitrary x,y € X and scalar k€K, x+y€X and k.x€X such that
1. X is an abelian(or commutative) group, i.e., for arbitrary x,y,z€X, x+y=y+x; x+(y+z)=(x+y)+z, there exists 0€X such that x+0=x. For each x€X, there exists (-x)€X such that x+(-x)=0.

2. k.(x+y)=k.x+k.y for each x,y€X, k€K.

3. (a+b).x=a.x+b.x for all a,b€K, x€X

4. (ab).x=a(b.x) for each a,b€K, x€X.

5. 1.x=x for 1€K, x€X

then X is called a vector space(some author calls it linear space) over K. Moreover, if K is the set of real numbers, then X is called a real vector space or a real linear space.

Functional Analysis stuffs.
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by AlphaMaximus(m): 8:22pm On Oct 22, 2013
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by jackpot(f): 8:43pm On Oct 22, 2013
^you cajoled the other person saying his solution is trial and error and that you are going to do it direct. Here you are saying that the Remainder Theorem you applied is trial and error method.

Okay ooo

Now, why didnt you get y=2 when applying your theorem? I suspect super-film trick here grin

If you get y=3, why not substitute into the more simpler x+y=5 to get your value of x?

I repeat, the remainder theorem is not about trial and error. You may divide a polynomial with x-2 and get a remainder. You may choose to divide the same polynomial with x-5 and get another remainder.

Maybe you wanted to say Factor Theorem.

But still before you apply both, f(x) must be a polynomial and what you used is not a polynomial.

The sky is your limit though, only if you will accept your mistakes, be less-abusive and learn. You can still be the future Udeme guiness man of Mathematics
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by jackpot(f): 9:42pm On Oct 22, 2013
Laplacian: ...@Jackpot...i'll advic u 2 reserv all comments concernin dat gentleman, i belive by now it should b obvious 2 everyone dat he abhors criticism, more developd in rainin insults dan coherently providin answers 2 questions...Jackpot i want 2 ask u a question, here's a man who claims 2 promot knowledge...publicly postin insults, what kind of knowledg is he promotin?...check his record from d tim he had issue wit Doubledx, about 75% of his issues seems 2 lie in d title dat some ppl just chose 4 demselves (just 4 fun)...i sugest we let him chose a name 4 himself 2 stop all dis cat & rat...my concern is mostly 4 our youngstars...by d way wat's 'SMH'?...

I hear you, bro!

SMH means "Shakes My Head"
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by Nobody: 9:50pm On Oct 22, 2013
Boladearo: Find x and y
x^1/3 + y^1/3 = 6..........(i)
X + y = 72...................(ii)
...frm (2),
y=72-x......(3)
sub. (3) in (1)...we have x^1/3 + (72-x)^1/3 =6
x^1/3 -6 =-(72-x)^1/3
take cube of both sides.
We av -18x^2/3 +108x^1/3 -144 =0,
=x^2/3 -6x^1/3 +8=0
put B =x^1/3 .
We have B^2 -6B +8=0 =>B= 2 or 4
when B=2, since x^1/3=B => x=8
frm (3)
y=72-x =>y=72-8=64
hence
(8,64).
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by AlphaMaximus(m): 10:01pm On Oct 22, 2013
Alright, I'm back with another 'easy' question. Enjoy:
Question: There was a very important business conference set-up in a Fortune 500 company's calender. On the d-day, a lot of pleasantries were exchanged. Everybody at the occasion shook hands with everybody else. All in all, there were 55,130,250 handshakes. How much less people would the conference have required to record only 31,988,001 handshakes?
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by lanrexlan(m): 10:22pm On Oct 22, 2013
jackpot: ^you cajoled the other person saying his solution is trial and error and that you are going to do it direct. Here you are saying that the Remainder Theorem you applied is trial and error method.

Okay ooo

Now, why didnt you get y=2 when applying your theorem? I suspect super-film trick here grin

If you get y=3, why not substitute into the more simpler x+y=5 to get your value of x?

I repeat, the remainder theorem is not about trial and error. You may divide a polynomial with x-2 and get a remainder. You may choose to divide the same polynomial with x-5 and get another remainder.

Maybe you wanted to say Factor Theorem.

But still before you apply both, f(x) must be a polynomial and what you used is not a polynomial.

The sky is your limit though, only if you will accept your mistakes, be less-abusive and learn. You can still be the future Udeme guiness man of Mathematics
Thanks for your input and kudos to Alpha Maximus and Rhydex too.Appreciated.
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by rhydex247(m): 11:01pm On Oct 22, 2013
rhydex 247: here is the question again
Show that V=IR^2 is not a vector space over IR with respect to operation (a,b)+(c,d)=(a+c, b+d) and k(a,b)=(ka,kb)

soln.
Suppose u=(3,4). If r & s € k. r=1 and s=2.
(r+s)u=ru+su.
(r+s)u=(1+2)(3,4)=(9,4).
ru+su=1(3,4)+2(3,4)
ru+su=(3,4)+(6,4)= (9,cool. Since (r+s)u is not equal to ru+su. Hence is not a vector space.
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by rhydex247(m): 11:18pm On Oct 22, 2013
rhydex 247:

soln.
(r+s)u=ru+su.
(r+s)u=(1+2)(3,4)=(9,4).
ru+su=1(3,4)+2(3,4)
ru+su=(3,4)+(6,4)= (9,cool. Since (r+s)u is not equal to ru+su. Hence is not a vector space.
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by Nobody: 11:43pm On Oct 22, 2013
In how many ways can the first two moves (one by each player) be made in a game of chess?

What will the answer be for the first four moves (two by each player)?
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by AlphaMaximus(m): 1:09am On Oct 23, 2013
smurfy: In how many ways can the first two moves (one by each player) be made in a game of chess?

For your first question(first two, one by each player), there are 400 possible ways
For your second question, (first four, 2 by each), there are 318,979,564,000 possible ways......
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by Nobody: 1:27am On Oct 23, 2013
Alpha Maximus:
For your first question(first two, one by each player), there are 400 possible ways
For your second question, (first four, 2 by each), there are 318,979,564,000 possible ways...... Chacha!! grin

Where are the steps? Answers mean nothing without steps. Firstly, are u a chess freak? If your answer is no, then you probably stole those answers. I'm particularly interested in the steps to the second question.
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by Laplacian(m): 6:19am On Oct 23, 2013
smurfy: In how many ways can the first two moves (one by each player) be made in a game of chess?

...a single pawn move from white attracts 16 possible pawn moves from black...so d 16 possibl pawn moves for whit attracts a total of 256 pawn moves from black...a singl pawn move from white attracts 4 Knight moves from black, so 16 pawn moves from white attracts 64 Knight moves...a single Knight move from white attracts 16 pawn moves from black, so 4 knight moves attracts 64black pawn moves...finally, a single white's knight move attracts 4 black's knight moves, so that 4 attracts 16....so we have: 256+64+64+16=400...i guess ur second question can confidentently b answered using computer analysis...
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by jackpot(f): 7:36am On Oct 23, 2013
rhydex 247:

soln.
(r+s)u=ru+su.
(r+s)u=(1+2)(3,4)=(9,4).
ru+su=1(3,4)+2(3,4)
ru+su=(3,4)+(6,4)= (9, cool. Since (r+s)u is not equal to ru+su. Hence is not a vector space.
in your question, you defined multiplication

k (a,b)=(ka,kb)

thus, su= 2(3,4)=(2*3,2*4)=(6,8 )

why did you erroneously write your su as (6,4)?

Also, (1+2)(3,4)=3(3,4)=(3*3,3*4)=(9,12)

why did you also write the result as (9,4)?

I taya oooo

I repeat IR2 is a vector space with the definition of multiplication you gave!!!
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by jackpot(f): 7:42am On Oct 23, 2013
bro rhydex, this is where you defined your multiplication.
rhydex 247: here is the question again
Show that V=IR^2 is not a vector space over IR with respect to operation (a,b)+(c,d)=(a+c, b+d) and k(a,b)=(ka,kb)
why did you use k(a,b)=(ka,b) in your solution?

SMH
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by jackpot(f): 7:45am On Oct 23, 2013
2nioshine: @Jackpot u seems like my one tym gal who actually gave me a tough time and made me study like c.obi (hope u r nt d unizik gal) ...alpha i luv ur math spirit no doubt u r no baby mathematician so lets b a little r***tional here(seun no dy pay or give us grades abeg),...double dx i was kinda di***pointed,but now u apologised we r kul...u remainent my most respectd boss...# Still in my observation mood#....nice wuk @ all 4 ur tym nd contributn(wish i could list al ur names)..sti following...wait o! Where is Richez
which set? wink
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by Nobody: 7:58am On Oct 23, 2013
.this ASUU strike has turn sm pple 2 math freaks...cool. Its well...me don solve maths. die...nid 2 rest ma brain 4 a while.....keep d fire burnin guys.
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by Nobody: 8:26am On Oct 23, 2013
Laplacian:
...a single pawn move from white attracts 16 possible pawn moves from black...so d 16 possibl pawn moves for whit attracts a total of 256 pawn moves from black...a singl pawn move from white attracts 4 Knight moves from black, so 16 pawn moves from white attracts 64 Knight moves...a single Knight move from white attracts 16 pawn moves from black, so 4 knight moves attracts 64black pawn moves...finally, a single white's knight move attracts 4 black's knight moves, so that 4 attracts 16....so we have: 256+64+64+16=400...i guess ur second question can confidentently b answered using computer analysis...

Not bad. Here goes...
Each side has eight pawns, and each pawn can move in 2! ways. So white's first pawn move can be done in 2! * 8 ways (= 16). Each side has two knights and each knight can move in 2! ways, giving 2! * 2 (=4). So white's first two moves can be done in 16+4=20 ways. Since each side has exactly the same number of ways of moving, then, using product principle, the first two moves can be made in 20*20=400 ways. By the way, are u on chess.com? ...feel like trashing someone right now lol
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by AlphaMaximus(m): 8:42am On Oct 23, 2013
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by AlphaMaximus(m): 8:46am On Oct 23, 2013
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by AlphaMaximus(m): 8:59am On Oct 23, 2013
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by rhydex247(m): 9:15am On Oct 23, 2013
@ jackpot i tried to modify my error yesterday nite but d network hook me. Thanks 4 d correctn.
Question.
State the order axiom for IR. For a,b€ IR. And also prove for x,y€ IR 0<x<y =>0<1/y<1/x.
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by AlphaMaximus(m): 10:21am On Oct 23, 2013

(1) (2) (3) ... (82) (83) (84) (85) (86) (87) (88) ... (284) (Reply)

DIRECT ENTRY Admission. / Mastercard Foundation Scholarship, Enter Here / 2016/2017 University of Ibadan Admission Thread Guide.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.