Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,277 members, 7,811,815 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 08:17 PM

Nairaland Mathematics Clinic - Education (98) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Nairaland Mathematics Clinic (479276 Views)

Mathematics Clinic / 2015 Cowbell Mathematics Champion, Akinkuowo Honoured By School. / Lead City University Clinic Welcomes First Ever Baby Since 10 Years Of Opening (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (95) (96) (97) (98) (99) (100) (101) ... (284) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by AlphaMaximus(m): 9:53am On Nov 10, 2013
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by AlphaMaximus(m): 10:12am On Nov 10, 2013
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by jackpot(f): 10:24am On Nov 10, 2013
Alpha Maximus: ......lemme try your approach on this question whose answer is obviously '2'
3^x+4^x=5^x
3^x+4^x-5^x=0
X(log3+log4-log5)=0
X(log12/5)=0
X(log2.4)=0
[s]10^0=2.4^x
1=2.4^x
Log1=xlog2.4
X=log1/log2.4[/s]
X=0, which is correct!!! grin
the cancelled steps makes the "solution" grin unnecessarily long. From x(log2.4)=0, we have x=0/log2.4 = 0.

I got your sarcasm solution to 41/2 star general cheesy benbuks method sha. Glad we are all here to learn. It's obvious the method doesn't work.

At least, we can now detect nonsense anywhere we see incorrect rule of lofarithm being applied. cheesy
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by AlphaMaximus(m): 10:36am On Nov 10, 2013
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by statusnet(m): 10:01pm On Nov 10, 2013
grin grin
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by statusnet(m): 10:06pm On Nov 10, 2013
Jackpot is a GURU and Alpha Maximus is a Mathematician with Patrick Obihiagbon's tongue grin grin cheesy

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by Laplacian(m): 5:39am On Nov 11, 2013
Laplacian: ...integrate cos(k@)/cos(@-pi/4)....
W.r.t @...where k is a whole number...limit of integration runs from 0 to pi/2....
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by Adol16(m): 8:12am On Nov 11, 2013
d citizen:
Solve for x in the equation below

1^x+2^x+3^x =6^x

the five star general
gurus o, wetin b d ans...i dnt seem 2 av a clue
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by Adol16(m): 8:16am On Nov 11, 2013
Adol16: I hail the Maths gurus in da ouz.. solve the equations
1. e^x=2x + 1
2. e^x=x^2 + 2
3. x+y=5, x^x + y^y = 31
thanks
solutions pls @ gurus n generals in da forum
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by dcitizen1: 8:42am On Nov 11, 2013
@adol,

Let me give u a clue to solve 1, 2 questions

e^x=1+x+x^2/2!+x3/3!+

So, reduce the expression to 1+x+x^2/2! For a good approximation.

For 1,

1+x+x^2/2!=2x+1

The same is applicable to problem 2

number3 problem has been dealt with. Try and go tru the pages.
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by Nobody: 9:02am On Nov 11, 2013
hmmmmm.
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by dcitizen1: 9:32am On Nov 11, 2013
Solution to 3^x+4^x=5^x

Divide bothsides by 4^x

0.75^x+1=1.25^x

(1-0.25)^x+1=(1+0.25)^x

we are having a case of (1+x)^n= 1+nx as a good approximation since x is small enough to ignore the values of x^2, x^3, etc.

Thus, 1-0.25x+1=1+0.25x
1=0.5x
Thus, x=1/0.5=2.
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by dcitizen1: 9:52am On Nov 11, 2013
@jackpot,

Pls donot institute a case against me. Am jst being curious about ur true identity and making a honest and passionate appeal. I have gone tru ur incisive post on this forum but at different sections especially joke and romance and i saw a smooth oscillation of ur identity from ferminism to masculinity. I really admire ur math insight and prowess .i must admit that you have a deep seated passion for math. I can see that tru ur indepth scruitiny of the working of math problems by fellow math generals in the house and i am interested in knowing ur true identity. Great female mathematicians are few but they come once in a century. I am putting you on a hotseat and challenge u to review ur identity now. I want my conscience to be clear when referring to ur gender with pronouns "he" or "she". I must salute ur courage, personal drive and sheer determination as you journey into the math world.

honest n unbaised msg from the five star general.
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by AlphaMaximus(m): 10:06am On Nov 11, 2013
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by Richiez(m): 11:48am On Nov 11, 2013
The Nairaland math Quiz thread will be opened by 3pm today!
We need Volunteers from this thread who are willing and capable of acting as QUIZ MASTERS
All volunteers are therefore urged to do so before 3pm today...Math Generals and Gurus I highly anticipate your cooperation on this one.

Roles of a quiz master: (i) Sets question for the participants and are responsible for producing the correct answers or marking scheme to questions set.
(ii) Awards scores or points to participants.

To indicate your interest Quote any problem that you have solved on this thread and type the words 'I AM INTERESTED'
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by Richiez(m): 1:54pm On Nov 11, 2013
Invitations are currently being sent to some of our remarkable Generals and Gurus.
Note that even if you were not sent an invitation, you are still free to volunteer yourself for the position of a math quiz master. you can as well recommend others by quoting any of their solutions to a particular problem, then type the word 'RECOMMENDED'

2 Likes

Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by 2nioshine(m): 2:19pm On Nov 11, 2013
Richiez: Invitations are currently being sent to some of our remarkable Generals and Gurus.
Note that even if you were not sent an invitation, you are still free to volunteer yourself for the position of a math quiz master. you can as well recommend others by quoting any of their solutions to a particular problem, then type the word 'RECOMMENDED'
Do i really need 2 quote soln 2 problems....anyway just recommending DoubleDX...dat guy has this nice approach 2 problems.... I think he is gona make a Good quiz master

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by dcitizen1: 2:26pm On Nov 11, 2013
@alpha,

What i did is linear approximation

(1+x)^n is approximated to 1+nx provided that x is mall enough to ignore x^2, x^3, etc.
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by Richiez(m): 2:27pm On Nov 11, 2013
Double dx is a renowned math general....so he's on my list
thanks for the recommendation
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by Nobody: 2:44pm On Nov 11, 2013
I guess today is ganna be great,lemme get ma writin materials and ma chair . Ready to learn frm ogas.'' ride on my generals, your ɓoy is following'
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by AlphaMaximus(m): 2:49pm On Nov 11, 2013
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by echibuzor: 2:54pm On Nov 11, 2013
Alpha Maximus: ....so x in this case is 0.25? And what is the criterion for deeming a value negligible in this case? Must it be less than one?
When I think about it the way u put just now.. that approximation made a lot of sense to me... But the twist there is that the value of x has to be relatively small, so that its higher power would be negligible...
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by AlphaMaximus(m): 3:00pm On Nov 11, 2013
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by AlphaMaximus(m): 3:01pm On Nov 11, 2013
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by echibuzor: 3:05pm On Nov 11, 2013
Alpha Maximus: Olarewajub: Someöne should please expand:
(a+b+c)(a+b-c)(a-b+c)(-a+b+c).
#TeamMathematics
Wait... I assume this is not by long expansion we all know?
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by AlphaMaximus(m): 3:05pm On Nov 11, 2013
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by AlphaMaximus(m): 3:11pm On Nov 11, 2013
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by AlphaMaximus(m): 3:13pm On Nov 11, 2013
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by AlphaMaximus(m): 3:13pm On Nov 11, 2013
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by echibuzor: 3:23pm On Nov 11, 2013
Alpha Maximus: @ Richiez, this is my mathematical curriculum vitae, together with the pre-quoted problems, excluding my 62phd's in various fields included quantum mechanics, the proof of Fermat's Last Conjecture and Schrodinger's Equation!! grin On a serious note though, I'm interested in the setting of questions. Chacha!!
I love your sense of humour... grin grin grin grin Schrodinger? What were you doing in a Physics Class shocked shocked
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by Nobody: 3:25pm On Nov 11, 2013
Alpha Maximus: @ Richiez, this is my mathematical curriculum vitae, together with the pre-quoted problems, excluding my 62phd's in various fields included quantum mechanics, the proof of Fermat's Last Conjecture and Schrodinger's Equation!! grin On a serious note though, I'm interested in the setting of questions. Chacha!!

I hope you are not that Satanist in the religion section grin I don't like them Satanists grin abeg na joke oh, no finish me with grammar like Hon. Patrick grin grin You and Ortarico have good understanding of business mathematics and statistics! Well, I recommend you, but no set "HARD" question oh so that the quiz go dey interesting! grin

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by AlphaMaximus(m): 3:35pm On Nov 11, 2013

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (95) (96) (97) (98) (99) (100) (101) ... (284) (Reply)

2017/2018 JAMB Cut Off Mark For All Schools Released! See Full List. / Mastercard Foundation Scholarship, Enter Here / 2016/2017 University of Ibadan Admission Thread Guide.

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.