Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,526 members, 7,819,893 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 05:34 AM

Why Northern Senators Opposed Petroleum Industry Bill - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Northern Senators Opposed Petroleum Industry Bill (8427 Views)

IGR: 5 Reasons Why Northern States Perform Poorly / Motion: 22 APC Northern Senators ‘working Against Buhari’ / "Why Northern Leaders Sneaked Yar’Adua Into Nigeria Without Telling Jonathan" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Northern Senators Opposed Petroleum Industry Bill by DaLover(m): 12:37am On Jan 02, 2013
http://nationalmirroronline.net/new/why-we-oppose-petroleum-industry-bill-northern-senators/

Chairman, Senate Committee on Housing, Sen. Bukar Abba-Ibrahim, said yesterday that the North was
opposed to the Petroleum Industry Bill, PIB, because of its lopsidedness. Abba-Ibrahim, who stated this at an interactive session with journalists in Abuja, said that the clause in
the PIB, which was asking for additional 10 per cent revenue for oil producing communities, was
unacceptable. “Derivation is only one out of seven sources of revenue for the oil producing states. They have the
Federal Government’s take home, the Niger Delta Development Commission, NDDC, with over N500bn
being projects only in oil producing communities. “They also have the Niger Delta Ministry with over N400bn Federal Government grants in the name of
amnesty and oil companies doing social corporate responsibility.” According to him, adding another 10 per cent to the already existing revenue generators for the zone
was unfair. “Adding another 10 per cent to all these seven sources, I don’t know how you are going to have peace
where resources allocations are so skewed to one side and unfair,” the former governor noted. He said
the addition in the PIB was unacceptable and suggested that the money should go into the treasury so
that every Nigerian could benefit from it. “Nobody planted or farmed oil, it is God, who put it there and it will not last forever. It will get to a point
where the oil will finish and another natural resource will come up and every Nigerian will benefit from
it,” he said. The lawmaker added that the North was also opposed to the PIB because of its failure to make provision
for the exploitation of other minerals all over the country. He said: “We have over 800 million tonnes of limestone in Gulane, Fune and Guljimba local
governments of Yobe State, but as a state government, you cannot go and exploit, it has to be Federal
Government.” He is, however, optimistic that the bill when passed, would sanitise the Petroleum Industry and address
the issue of corruption in the sector. Speaking on the current security challenge in the country, Abba-
Ibrahim said that although dialogue might not be the only solution, it remained the best option. “To me, dialogue is not the only solution, but it remains the best solution. I am not saying it is the only
solution because there are many ways to solve it, but I believe that dialogue remains the best,” he
said.

Yet some people wonder why they are referred to as parasites.
Mods front page Abeg!

1 Like

Re: Why Northern Senators Opposed Petroleum Industry Bill by koruji(m): 1:21am On Jan 02, 2013
What I'll like to see is a summary of oil revenue distribution from all sources/channels to all states over the last two decade or so.

DaLover: nationalmirroronline.net/new/why-we-oppose-petroleum-industry-bill-northern-senators/

Yet some people wonder why they are referred to as parasites.
Mods front page Abeg!
Re: Why Northern Senators Opposed Petroleum Industry Bill by vladimiros: 1:34am On Jan 02, 2013
interpretation: WE CAN'T CONTROL THE SOUTH-SOUTH ANYMORE sad

1 Like

Re: Why Northern Senators Opposed Petroleum Industry Bill by Ikengawo: 1:40am On Jan 02, 2013
What a ridiculous human being.
He should be focused on the Boko Haram that's making businesses flee the north like a plague and people having 5 wives and 9 so that poverty remains for generations. Northern need to apply more creativity to their problems. There are states with VERY low allocation that are progressing.

3 Likes

Re: Why Northern Senators Opposed Petroleum Industry Bill by vladimiros: 1:53am On Jan 02, 2013
Ikengawo: What a ridiculous human being.
He should be focused on the Boko Haram that's making businesses flee the north like a plague and people having 5 wives and 9 so that poverty remains for generations. Northern need to apply more creativity to their problems. There are states with VERY low allocation that are progressing.

little things like this is why buhari won't win, the harm these parasite have done on the south can transcend into anything, acn are waisting their time with a cpc merger. BIG TIME

1 Like

Re: Why Northern Senators Opposed Petroleum Industry Bill by Ikengawo: 2:12am On Jan 02, 2013
vladimiros:

little things like this is why buhari won't win, the harm these parasite have done on the south can transcend into anything, acn are waisting their time with a cpc merger. BIG TIME
EXACTLY!

The north as a brand is trash. Nobody in the south wants to be affiliated with them, they're distrusted, businesses are running, they have a long history of maltreating others and hogging power. Attaching yourself to them is toxic, and if you can win the middle belt and north central which also hates the north, you don't need the north for an election victory. These guys are on a different page than the rest of the country.

I believe the delta should have complete resource control, and the north should for their minerals.

3 Likes

Re: Why Northern Senators Opposed Petroleum Industry Bill by GARRIx7(m): 2:16am On Jan 02, 2013
Our leaders are too mentally lazy. The fixation on oil money is silly. They should think of intellugent ways of generating money for their states....

2 Likes

Re: Why Northern Senators Opposed Petroleum Industry Bill by Hardfact: 3:21am On Jan 02, 2013
Just too bored to put words together.
Recall clamours for True/Fiscal Federalism, Confederalism, appraisal of Basis for 'one Nigeria', Sovereign National Conference, . . .so many other mindboggling issues.
. . . Nigeria's got a long way to go. Havent we been sitting on a keg of gun powder all along?
. . . Pity the region that had to be so small to own the oil . . .and the South: SW, SE, & SS that only knows how to quarrel, and never agree . . .even on Nairaland, and will forever be their lackey . . .
Re: Why Northern Senators Opposed Petroleum Industry Bill by ak47mann(m): 3:37am On Jan 02, 2013
what a piece take!!!
Re: Why Northern Senators Opposed Petroleum Industry Bill by NoiseMaker1: 7:37am On Jan 02, 2013
Too long, Can some1 summarise this 4 me
Re: Why Northern Senators Opposed Petroleum Industry Bill by MuniruA(m): 7:44am On Jan 02, 2013
All Nigerians must benefit 4rm d sector. There shudnt b a wide gap btw south-south and other parts of Nig in distribution of oil income. D same shud apply to oda sectors

2 Likes

Re: Why Northern Senators Opposed Petroleum Industry Bill by logica(m): 7:49am On Jan 02, 2013
Muniru A: D same shud apply to oda sectors
Which sector is the North sharing revenue with the rest of the country? Disease sector?

2 Likes

Re: Why Northern Senators Opposed Petroleum Industry Bill by Myself2(m): 8:01am On Jan 02, 2013
Muhehehehehe

Or maybe Muniru considers terrorism and follishness as an economic sector

1 Like

Re: Why Northern Senators Opposed Petroleum Industry Bill by kinisoo1: 8:07am On Jan 02, 2013
Noise Maker :

You cannot read this short piece? You still want a summary? No wonder the white man said that it only takes putting things in black and white to hide it from a black man. Stop your Noise Making and learn to read more. Ok?

3 Likes

Re: Why Northern Senators Opposed Petroleum Industry Bill by Nobody: 8:13am On Jan 02, 2013
If there exists 800milion tonnes of limestone in Yobe state, why hasn't Nigeria's biggest industrialist opened a cement factory in Yobe state to utilize the deposit Come to think of it, all Dangote's production factories are in the south and/or middle belt.

Northerners have made their area un-inhabitable and they cry foul.

2 Likes

Re: Why Northern Senators Opposed Petroleum Industry Bill by Myself2(m): 8:16am On Jan 02, 2013
kinisoo?:

You cannot read this short piece? You still want a summary? No wonder the white man said that it only takes putting things in black and white to hide it from a black man. Stop your Noise Making and learn to read more. Ok?

Simples
Re: Why Northern Senators Opposed Petroleum Industry Bill by Nobody: 8:17am On Jan 02, 2013
Noise Maker :

SUMMARY: Go to school.
Re: Why Northern Senators Opposed Petroleum Industry Bill by agitator: 8:20am On Jan 02, 2013
These parasites never get tired. God almighty have continued to make them utter eye opening speeches everyday. I don't like GEJ, but thank God using GEJ's presidency to spur the northerners in exposing themselves for the whole world to know the parasites they really are.
Re: Why Northern Senators Opposed Petroleum Industry Bill by Ikengawo: 8:22am On Jan 02, 2013
okpara ugo: If there exists 800milion tonnes of limestone in Yobe state, why hasn't Nigeria's biggest industrialist opened a cement factory in Yobe state to utilize the deposit Come to think of it, all Dangote's production factories are in the south and/or middle belt.

Nobody wants to put dealing with Boko boys in their business budget, but these senators are the last you'll hear speaking of it
Re: Why Northern Senators Opposed Petroleum Industry Bill by chrisdstar: 8:22am On Jan 02, 2013
Imagine the comment"Nobody planted or farmed oil",atimes i wonder if this Northerners think we are fools.In USA for example,some states are highly richer than the others,for example,u cant compare New york with New zealand,this is because another man is not mean't to eat from another man's pocket.If they had oil from their actions,we won't be one by now,cos i know they wud fight to the end,and they wud also show U where it was written in their Quran to protect their own.we southerners have been linient enough with them.

5 Likes

Re: Why Northern Senators Opposed Petroleum Industry Bill by henrysam(m): 8:35am On Jan 02, 2013
okpara ugo: If there exists 800milion tonnes of limestone in Yobe state, why hasn't Nigeria's biggest industrialist opened a cement factory in Yobe state to utilize the deposit Come to think of it, all Dangote's production factories are in the south and/or middle belt.

Thank you very much, even Dangote who is from the North refused to set up any worthwhile business venture in the core north
Re: Why Northern Senators Opposed Petroleum Industry Bill by abbey37(m): 8:44am On Jan 02, 2013
Monkey they work Baboon they chop [b]Monkey they work Baboon they chop [/b]Month

The north contributes virtually nothing to the generated revenue in nigeria but they get the largest chunk with the many false states ang LG governments they created yet they make the nation unpeaceceful Nigeria should just breakup so that this wicked souls can suffer
Re: Why Northern Senators Opposed Petroleum Industry Bill by Ozonna(m): 8:47am On Jan 02, 2013
Meaning it will be easier for the carmel to pass through the eye of a needle than for the NASS to pass the Petroleum Industry Bill. The core north have pocketed the politicians from the Middle Belt and when the voting starts, even David Mark will vote against the bill.

The only hope of this Bill being passed is if Oil producing states (Lagos inclusive) are willing to lobby (Bribe) the NASS members from the Middle Belt.
Re: Why Northern Senators Opposed Petroleum Industry Bill by JoeMosco(m): 8:49am On Jan 02, 2013
Generally, the country as a whole must shun laziness and become more active esp in the production/manufacturing sector. As for the additional 10%, a visit to the ND areas will convince u because they cant even cultivate anything, can't fish, no drinking water...... I think they deserve more. However, i doubt if Nigeria's oil resources lie in Her control.
Re: Why Northern Senators Opposed Petroleum Industry Bill by Nobody: 8:59am On Jan 02, 2013
Ikengawo:
EXACTLY!

The north as a brand is trash. Nobody in the south wants to be affiliated with them, they're distrusted, businesses are running, they have a long history of maltreating others and hogging power. Attaching yourself to them is toxic, and if you can win the middle belt and north central which also hates the north, you don't need the north for an election victory. These guys are on a different page than the rest of the country.

I believe the delta should have complete resource control, and the north should for their minerals.
did i hear you say hate! these people love the North o wella, have you forgotten they have always been used as willing tools?
Re: Why Northern Senators Opposed Petroleum Industry Bill by Nobody: 9:02am On Jan 02, 2013
When any nigerian speak about PIB bill, I only laugh. I know very well dat no Northen politician will support anything good dat is coming 2 d south frm d oil proceeds, one reason Nigeria can never be One Nigeria with these northern elements. In d past one yr, I hav said it in different fora dat d northern members of d national assembly will kill dis PIB bill 4 as many times as it is brought b4 d house. Nigeria is just fake, we only pretend 2 be One country. The real truth is dat no northner like anythin dat will bring progress in d south and dats why a typical northner prefers military rule where an hausa man is d head of state and all d generals in d army wil be northner, d petroleum minister wil be an hausa and all d oil bloc in d south wil be shared among d northern generals and their emirs. For now we can only continue 2 fool ourselves as one country, indivisible nation until oil finishes in d south in 2032 when d North will break away from d present nigeria 2 form their own country.

1 Like

Re: Why Northern Senators Opposed Petroleum Industry Bill by onome25(m): 9:03am On Jan 02, 2013
NORTH DRY THIS FESTIVE PERIOD NO BE SMALL.KIA COME SEE KADUNA WEN DEY BUBBLE BEFORE DON TURN TO WHERE DUST DEY LIVE!(people run away this festive period) MY FRIENDS THAT HAVE LEFT PLS COME BACK LETS BUBBLE OR ME TOO GO RE-LOCATE MY SELF & BIZ AWAY O.BOKO GUYZ HAVE KILLED THE BEAUTIFUL LIFE STYLE IN THE NORTH...what a shame & agony to the northernans.
Re: Why Northern Senators Opposed Petroleum Industry Bill by Nobody: 9:11am On Jan 02, 2013
Re: Why Northern Senators Opposed Petroleum Industry Bill by chaloner(m): 9:12am On Jan 02, 2013
u senator waka waka!!! Cnt say anytin now until I see u face to face , den u wil receive one hot slap from me , abok*[img][/img]
Re: Why Northern Senators Opposed Petroleum Industry Bill by papaGEJ: 9:15am On Jan 02, 2013
Wen GOD favors u, u dnt need 2 labor. U cn imagine d level of high heartedness of our leaders, because they re nt 4rm d south dey wil nt suport d PIB, yet dey wil b preachin 1 naija.
Re: Why Northern Senators Opposed Petroleum Industry Bill by Nobody: 9:17am On Jan 02, 2013
Muniru A: All Nigerians must benefit 4rm d sector. There shudnt b a wide gap btw south-south and other parts of Nig in distribution of oil income. D same shud apply to oda sectors
now that its GEJ regime(courtesy OBJ) you are talking equal distribution of oil income, have you forgotten so suddenly how the entire Niger-delta were neglected for decades by ya Northern regimes/dictatorships, the Ken Sarowiwa issue, do you know what gave birth to millitancy in Nigerdelta, oh you think people have forgotten, you cant fool the people all the time

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Doctor Jailed For Obasanjo Death / Power Sector Loses N534b In 356 Days / See What El Rufai Is Doing In Kaduna. Photos.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.