Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,245 members, 7,822,269 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 09:14 AM

Do You Remember the Pacesetters Books? - Literature (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Do You Remember the Pacesetters Books? (26884 Views)

The 130 Titles Of The Pacesetters Series / Who Remembers The Pacesetters Novel / Anybody Old Enough To Remember The "pacesetters" Series (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Do You Remember the Pacesetters Books? by nicetohave(m): 7:01pm On Dec 17, 2005
I remember "sweet revenge" and "blood bath at lobster close", interesting reading for teenagers though smiley
Re: Do You Remember the Pacesetters Books? by Littleone(m): 9:41am On Jan 17, 2006
Pacesetter. I remember the first book i bought with my own dough at age 10 was Undesirable Element by Moh'd Sule. Afterall I hv got to read quite a lot of it. I have always love Victor Thorpe pacestter - Stone of Vengeance, The Worshipper etc. But the one I really enjoyed reading was "Too Young to Die" So interesting. I read in my lasy year in Primary School and I still smile when I remember the story line. Too bad, I cannot remember the author. Sweet Revenge was another exciting one - the bomb!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Do You Remember the Pacesetters Books? by bolaoni(m): 6:22pm On Jan 17, 2006
PACESETTERS! yeah I remember them like anything, though I never used my money to buy one then wink but I read them so much.

The Director, Christmas In The City, Coup, The Cyclist, Undesirable Element, Agony in Her Voice, Mark of The Cobra, Rich Girl Poor Boy. So many of them. I saw one before the end of last year and it brought memory of the good old days back to me.

I am happy to hear they are now available! I won't mind buying them so that I can read them all over again!

Bola
Re: Do You Remember the Pacesetters Books? by Icon(m): 4:42pm On Jan 18, 2006
I remember Kalu Okpi was one of the best writers. He wrote 'On the road' and about 2 others I cant remember their titles. I also remember one about a particular man-eating crocodile that was worshipped and people were sacrificd to it. Cant remember the title now. Men, those were good books in those days. Not like the crappy writers of nowadays.
Re: Do You Remember the Pacesetters Books? by daniboy(m): 12:53pm On Jan 26, 2006
yea,i do remember the pacesetters series,we use to get them as birhtday
gift but am surprise we dont get to see them anymore.wonder what the reading
culture for youth will be like now in nigeria.
could remember one ''evu my love..................
Re: Do You Remember the Pacesetters Books? by daniboy(m): 12:54pm On Jan 26, 2006
yea,i do remember the pacesetters series,we use to get them as birhtday
gift but am surprise we dont get to see them anymore.wonder what the reading
culture for youth will be like now in nigeria.
could remember one ''evbu my love..................
Re: Do You Remember the Pacesetters Books? by pocahontas: 5:32pm On Jan 30, 2006
This site has most of them - www.pacesetternovels.com
Re: Do You Remember the Pacesetters Books? by monie0078(f): 9:11pm On Feb 06, 2006
Hi. Ok, I'm curious to know if there's anyone at all who would know how to get these books... I read them a really long time ago, and although I'm 'all grown up' now, I'd like to add them to my collection. I've 'googled' them, and even checked on ebay and amazon. They're awesome books, and I know there's got to be a bunch of people out there who have 'em laying around... you guys remember the 'Pacesetters series', right? (Well, if you're younger than 23, you probably don't)... But can anyone help out please?
Re: Do You Remember the Pacesetters Books? by tflow2(m): 4:32pm On Mar 16, 2006
grin Though I wasn't old enough to read in the 80's when this novels where out, but I was very lucky, my dad had a bookshop then in the early 90's and I had the opportunity of reading most of them, GOD!!! you would see me acting on what I read in a little while, it was very nice reading those books, when I was in high school,  I used to read the storys to my dad in the balcony at night before we go to bed, lol, the old man deserves it, when I was young he read it to me, now that he is a little older and you know, has blurry eyes, I have to re-pay him. The sad thing is that my classmates stole all those books before I finished high school and for that my old man finds it hard to forget, I lie to him anytime he remembers wink, I need them so much now. I think I will stop by that ilupeju office one day. I hope I get them!
Re: Do You Remember the Pacesetters Books? by losky(m): 12:59pm On Mar 17, 2006
yeah they were really nice,i remember too close for comfort and one in particular about a man whose wife was raped by robbers infront of his house in lagos, cant remember the title,but it wasnt bad
Re: Do You Remember the Pacesetters Books? by Queen1(f): 3:41pm On May 08, 2006
read them too, nice books i must say
Re: Do You Remember the Pacesetters Books? by Ndipe(m): 11:16pm On May 20, 2006
I was a fan of pacesseters novels like Evbu my love, Agony in her voice and all the rest of the series. I was always writing to a friend, while in boarding school about the numbers of pacesseter novels that I had read. I read one of the series that I really liked a while ago and it just did not tickle my fancy anymore. Those were truly teenagers stuff. How fast we grow!!!.
Re: Do You Remember the Pacesetters Books? by Greycells(m): 2:34pm On Aug 15, 2006
Up Chairman! Really, u took me down memory lane. Bless you for reminding me of my first youthful addiction, Pacesetters. Truly, we should challenge Macmillian to keep the torch burning for those coming behind.

[/color]I am game about doing something What do you all think. [color=#006600]
Re: Do You Remember the Pacesetters Books? by shantell(f): 9:48pm On Aug 16, 2006
yeah i remember very well especially "evbu my love" i loved dat book read it when i was in jss2 or something
Re: Do You Remember the Pacesetters Books? by jaybaby(f): 9:12pm On Aug 28, 2006
I remember the pacesetters series very well,especially 'evbu my love'.

@icon
You were referring to the book 'The land of the crocodile's teeth' grin.I read it in my last year in primary school many harmattans ago tongue.
Re: Do You Remember the Pacesetters Books? by enugu(f): 11:04pm On Sep 22, 2006
@Zeora,

You can get pacesetters on amazon (the uk site) that's where I bought all of mine for posterity and quite franky, for my own reading pleasure. There was nothing like them in those days and still isn't. Thank God for creative writers!!!
Re: Do You Remember the Pacesetters Books? by adetunrayo(f): 5:53pm On Sep 25, 2006
I love pacesetters novels.I developed my love 4 novels with pacesetters, then.but i hadly c them again.I can still remain vividly''Felicia''and d ''bethrayal''I enjoyed them.
Thanks 4 remembering me again.
Re: Do You Remember the Pacesetters Books? by guchi11: 11:03am On Mar 03, 2007
For those asking for a website where one can get the pacesetter books, see:

[url]http://www.africabookcentre.com/acatalog/index.html?http%3A//www.africabookcentre.com/acatalog/Pacesetters.html&CatalogBody[/url]

The website also has books by other renowned african authors: Achebe, Emecheta, Soyinka, Ekwensi, Wa'Thiong(sp) etc.  So, just browse around.
Re: Do You Remember the Pacesetters Books? by Ndipe(m): 11:18am On Mar 03, 2007
Thanks@guchi11
Re: Do You Remember the Pacesetters Books? by musavengan: 6:36am On Mar 21, 2007
one of my best novels i ever read , Evbu My love, loved that, where can one buy that one,
Re: Do You Remember the Pacesetters Books? by davejoe(m): 9:50pm On Mar 22, 2007
smiley wink This brings to mind the good old days wen men were boys
its quite a good memory iand i still cherish those moments
well thanks for the link i cant wait to get my hands on that
on more time ,and this time its for keeps as souvenir[b][/b].
Re: Do You Remember the Pacesetters Books? by agnesoseka: 10:18am On Mar 27, 2007
yeah Evbu,Nice one.
Re: Do You Remember the Pacesetters Books? by Nobody: 1:57am On Apr 01, 2007
I remenber pacesetter novels and its was so entertaining and yet educative;
sisi,agony in her voice,angels of death were some of my best ones;i never really purchased any but back in secoudary schools we had alot of exchange going on , i saw this post and actually wearched the web and i came up with their websites its www.pacesetternovels.Com, they have loads of new collection cheesy
Re: Do You Remember the Pacesetters Books? by Carlosein(m): 8:22pm On Aug 02, 2007
don't u just love those novels, it helped me in my grammar and diction even other languages (the foreign ones that is)

got the site too and think am going to order some, those were the days. cool
Re: Do You Remember the Pacesetters Books? by zenom: 11:41am On Aug 07, 2007
They where the booomb, are they still available?? grin grin
Used to have a huge collection.

Takes me back memory lane!!!

My pocket money was actually reduced because of pacesetter books, eventually i was banned from buying the book at school bookshop,and they were soo many of them, all interesting, i couldnt help it.

Good old days. grin wink

shaddyfr:

I remenber pacesetter novels and its was so entertaining and yet educative;
sisi,agony in her voice,angels of death were some of my best ones;i never really purchased any but back in secoudary schools we had alot of exchange going on , i saw this post and actually wearched the web and i came up with their websites its www.pacesetternovels.Com, they have loads of new collection cheesy

Thanks kiss kiss i could start a new collection
Re: Do You Remember the Pacesetters Books? by SMC(f): 2:42pm On Aug 07, 2007
I used to love Pacesetters when I was a wee lass.

The Delinquent, The Undesirable Element, Sisi, Too Cold for Comfort, Sweet Revenge, Agony in her Voice, Love on the Rocks, Bloodbath at Lobster Close, The Cyclist, For Mbata and Rebecca (I hope I got the spelling right), e.t.c.

I could go on and on. Who can remember the title of the pacesetter where the guy had a girlfriend. He went abroad i think and she was promiscuous and kept sleeping around. When he came back he wanted to marry her despite people telling him of her infidelity. To cut a long story short, they went sightseeing somewhere in igboland and inside the cave the girl disappeared to shag another guy, so the protagonist dumped her. By the time the she had been through the mill and came back to beg him, he was already married and his wife was preganant.

If you remember this book, please post the title on this thread.
Re: Do You Remember the Pacesetters Books? by Ndipe(m): 10:49pm On Aug 07, 2007
I don't remember the title of the novel, but I think the synopsis rings a bell. Ok, the novel I read was about a man who fell in love with a girl with a promiscuous past. His mother was adamantly opposed to the relationship, telling him that she dresses provocatively. When she would bring it up with her, she would dismiss her worries that it was ok, since both of them were women. Then, one day, the woman runs away with another man and when she is caught, she denies it. Proof of the affair surfaces with dishevelled clothes, and from there, I think the man forgives her. An incident may have occured that ended the relationship, and the man marries a new wife. The former lady however, tries to get in touch with him, visits him at his house, and pleads her case before him. Soon, his pregnant wife comes out and declares her love for the husband, and he chooses his wife over the former lover (or could have been his ex-wife). Defeated, the woman leaves them, and I think from there, committed suicide at her house.
Re: Do You Remember the Pacesetters Books? by Nobody: 10:25pm On Aug 08, 2007
The Wages Of Sin. . . by Ibe Oparandu, i think. very nice book smiley
Re: Do You Remember the Pacesetters Books? by SMC(f): 10:35pm On Aug 08, 2007
Seems familiar Ndipe, but some bits sound like they are from a different book.
Re: Do You Remember the Pacesetters Books? by SMC(f): 10:37pm On Aug 08, 2007
ziddy:

Yes. grin That is the book. It was one of my favourite pacesetters in those days.
Re: Do You Remember the Pacesetters Books? by Ndipe(m): 10:39pm On Aug 08, 2007
Who remembers this novel? It's about a girl, from Ghana, who becomes pregnant from an illicit relationship. Her efforts to conceal the pregnancy fails when she is exposed by the dipo rites of her community. So, she is banished, and from there, she flees and takes up residence in a particular city in Ghana. She lives with her caretaker as a maid, delivers a baby girl, and then, I think her daughter falls in love with the son of the caretaker. I have forgotten the name of the novel, and would like to read it again.

Does the synopsis ring a bell?
Re: Do You Remember the Pacesetters Books? by PTH(m): 10:52pm On Aug 08, 2007
ziddy:

i'm not sure that was "wages of sin". I think the main figure in the book was a randy man who went about sleeping with women around town until nemesis caught up with him.

Been more than 10yrs since i read any of the pacesetters. Excellent reading. Anyone got one he can spare?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Sun Newspaper Vs Punch Newspaper / Why You Shouldn't Fart In A Crowded Elevator!!! / Chimamanda Adichie On Trump, Racism And The KKK (Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.