Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,804 members, 7,956,057 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 10:55 PM

Get Rid Of Nairaland's Front Page - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Get Rid Of Nairaland's Front Page (1194 Views)

How To Get Your Posts To Nairaland's Front Page!!! / Nairaland Front Page / Why Do Crappy Threads Make The Nairaland Front Page? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Get Rid Of Nairaland's Front Page by Abrantie: 12:03am On Jan 03, 2013
I have observed that the front page usually hijacks the attention of visitors. This prevents exploration of other areas of the board, or visits to other forums' homepage.

Even when I navigate into a forum not on the homepage, I sometimes find myself looking at the number of views or replies of a topic, to decided whether I should participate or not. I'm sure this is true for most users.

I bet a huge percentage of visitors never participate in topics beyond the front page.
Re: Get Rid Of Nairaland's Front Page by greatgod2012(f): 3:00am On Jan 03, 2013
Yeah, you are right, i know quite some nairalanders, who their opening and finising points is not beyond front page.
Re: Get Rid Of Nairaland's Front Page by Mynd44: 5:11am On Jan 03, 2013
The front page is important cos visitors don't have time to be going from board to board to look for what interests them and whether we like it or not, the front page works. I have friends who come on NL as guests and they say they love the topics on the front page.

These topics are actually interesting to some people and just cos we don't like them does not mean the topics are boring
Re: Get Rid Of Nairaland's Front Page by Abrantie: 12:51pm On Jan 03, 2013
Mynd_44: The front page is important cos visitors don't have time to be going from board to board to look for what interests them and whether we like it or not, the front page works. I have friends who come on NL as guests and they say they love the topics on the front page.

These topics are actually interesting to some people and just cos we don't like them does not mean the topics are boring

Couldn't it be that your friends love the FP topics simply BECAUSE those topics are on the front page? I think there's an element of psychology going on here.

Okay agreed, the FP does provide a valuable service, but that comes at a cost to other areas of the board. Besides, what criteria is used to select FP topics any way? For all we know, they're selected based on a moderator's mood or from a few shouts of "front page... front page". That's not the right approach. The correct approach should be scientific in nature.

Ideally, it would be better to automatically promote a topic to FP only after it has attained a certain number of comment pages. I see a menu link called "Trending". I think *some* topics from "Trending" should be the ones showing up on front page.

2 Likes

Re: Get Rid Of Nairaland's Front Page by Nobody: 4:17pm On Jan 03, 2013
Just passing by to say hi!
Re: Get Rid Of Nairaland's Front Page by Nobody: 4:38pm On Jan 03, 2013
Joker. . .
Re: Get Rid Of Nairaland's Front Page by semid4lyfe(m): 10:10pm On Jan 03, 2013
*Ludicrous*

*Asinine*
Re: Get Rid Of Nairaland's Front Page by Abrantie: 11:19pm On Jan 03, 2013
My point is, it's okay to place a topic on front page. However, the selection process has to be based on that topic's performance on its own HOME forum.

Secondly, instead of placing 65 topics on FP, how about reducing it just about 10? It's counterproductive to make the front page a forum on its own. Tease your visitors and users a bit. Make them want more to wander into other areas of your site.
Re: Get Rid Of Nairaland's Front Page by otumfour(m): 2:40am On Jan 04, 2013
semid4lyfe: *Ludicrous*

*Asinine*

undecided those words fit u perfectly, no lie..... grin playing wit ur 2013 new found words ay? undecided , I can jus picture ur ugly arrz searching hard for 'em.....smh! So uncalled for.

I'll end this by calling U Kwasia

Re: Get Rid Of Nairaland's Front Page by otumfour(m): 2:51am On Jan 04, 2013
Abrantie! The FP topics are what keeps this site going......getting rid of it, would make it super boring, jus think of it as a bait. wink
Re: Get Rid Of Nairaland's Front Page by ifyalways(f): 7:34am On Jan 04, 2013
^ ^Masters, afihyia pa!
cheesy cheesy definition of Kwasia. Oh mami.

Ma woakoma 3mbra f)m.
Re: Get Rid Of Nairaland's Front Page by Abrantie: 12:24pm On Jan 04, 2013
otumfour: Abrantie! The FP topics are what keeps this site going......getting rid of it, would make it super boring, jus think of it as a bait. wink

FP bait must be so tasty the fish forgot to swim to the bottom for more tastier food grin.

Seriously though, pick any NL forum and check out the topics' post count. For a message board which constantly brags about number of members and web ratings etc, there should be no reason why the majority of posts can't have more than 10 comments.

The topics that have more than 50 comments are the ones which were likely featured on the front page.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

What Does It Cost To Be Loved Than To Be Left Alone For A Woman? / Where Is Pagan9ja / Royal Stallion,mama Gold And Royal Umbrella, Etc (50kg) For Sale

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.