Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,561 members, 7,820,028 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 08:39 AM

FG To Distribute 10m Mobile Phones To Farmers - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / FG To Distribute 10m Mobile Phones To Farmers (6110 Views)

Buhari Orders Nigeria Customs To Distribute Seized Items To Displaced Persons / Ibe Kachikwu orders ''DPR'' To Distribute Hoarded Fuel Free To Nigerians / Video: Fuel Tankers Leaving Ubah's Capital Oil Depot To Distribute Fuel Now (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: FG To Distribute 10m Mobile Phones To Farmers by wilxz(m): 9:16am On Jan 03, 2013
Some people wan hammer, on top FG head. See contract na, even if na to supply d solar lattern sef. Make all this kind tin dey reach my side na.
Re: FG To Distribute 10m Mobile Phones To Farmers by obyrich(m): 9:16am On Jan 03, 2013
I dont know any serious farmer who doesnt have a handset at the moment. My visit to my village this xmas proved this to me. Even palmwine tappers in my village all have phones. The Federal Government should be more interested in lobbying the Telcos to extend their network connectivity to the rural areas rather than buying poor quality phones for farmers. Any farmer who doesnt have a phone now will not use it when the Federal Govt gives him one. I am sure the minister wants to use that opportunity to cut his own share of the Cake. Imagine making a profit of just 100 naira per hanset, that will be 1 billion naira! Cool cash. If however some of the phones are diverted to Ghana or Benin or even sold to phone dealers as has always been the case, still more money. Nigeria is blessed with very smart thinkers in leadership positions.

1 Like

Re: FG To Distribute 10m Mobile Phones To Farmers by Ochek: 9:18am On Jan 03, 2013
Is it gonna be bill free for them? Like the air time and data plans (for those who can use them)? How are them gonna charge them cell phone batteries seeing that even in townships, we scarcely get electrical energy to charge our phones. Hope this is not another misplaced priority?
Re: FG To Distribute 10m Mobile Phones To Farmers by ebucha: 9:19am On Jan 03, 2013
Unfortunately the phones will not get to the poor farmers. Relatives of commissioners, LGA bosses, Chancellors were the ones that benefited from the Poverty Eradication Program. Hope it goes will this time.
Re: FG To Distribute 10m Mobile Phones To Farmers by obyrich(m): 9:46am On Jan 03, 2013
Does Nigeria have up to 10 million farmers? Are there no farmers cooperative societies again? What infrastructure does the ministry of Agriculture have to manage the data of the so called 10 million farmers? If there is sincerity on the part of Government to actually attain food sufficiency they should partner with colleges and universities of Agriculture scattered all over Nigeria to recruit, train and empower their graduates, who by virtue of their training are better equipped than most other graduates to take up farming as a vocation. The time they spent in school is enough to deepen their interest in farming. What they need is encouragement from Government. The Nigerian Government is not serious about involving graduates in farming. They prefer old, illiterate and gullible farmers who would be happy to receive substandard handsets for a token( i'm sure the distributors must chop na) to a graduate who will insist on policies that will create real value in the industry.
Re: FG To Distribute 10m Mobile Phones To Farmers by Nobody: 10:02am On Jan 03, 2013
take dat: A farmer who is able to pay 50% of the cost of farm input should be able to afford a mobile phone himself.
How are we so sure the mobile phones will be distributed to those it was intended for? How will the uneducated farmer be able to comprehend the process of using a mobile phone to check weather and access other GES information? How will government be able to detect cases like "multiple roll out"? How will the farmers in remote villages cope with the epileptic network problems, insufficient recharge cards and poor power supply to charge those phones or will government be providing masts for correct signal to the village, recharge cards and all? There is also the problem of logistics. I do not feel that most local farmers are ripe for this e-wallet, except it will be done together with paper vouchers. Government should distribute free fertilisers and high yield seedlings to the farmers instead of this wasteful idea of given free mobile!
thank u bro
Re: FG To Distribute 10m Mobile Phones To Farmers by sKy007: 10:11am On Jan 03, 2013
That is to say if na 5000 phone, then 5000 x 10m go give u 50b . Enough for the farmers to get free seedlings and fertilizer and make bumper harvest and buy their own phones.
What is wrong with our leaders sef
Re: FG To Distribute 10m Mobile Phones To Farmers by deesnipes(f): 10:11am On Jan 03, 2013
Really? Really? And these pple think mobile fone is the next thing that farmers need? Who even told them they don't have fones? Have they considered villages with no light and network at all?
Then what is the job of an agricultural extension graduate( that is suppose to be d intermidiary between govt, research institutes and farmers)? So fone is going to replace them? Maybe agricultural extension and rural development as a course should just be removed from our higher institutions.
Am sure if they employ extension graduates in all states for these job the fg won't spend up to half of what they will be wasting on this so called project.
As the federal govt considered that what farmers need is loan facility without outrageous collaterals, subsidy on mechanized farm machineries, quality and affordable fertilizer, good seedlings, better roads for transport of produce to market and good storage facilities?
Seriously these farmers have mobe phones where their is network and they have their transistor radios for information on weather so what is the federal goverment talking about?
Really? Mobile phones?

1 Like

Re: FG To Distribute 10m Mobile Phones To Farmers by Nobody: 10:18am On Jan 03, 2013
wastage!!!! wastage!! This doesn't affect productivity in any way!

If this news is true, then GEJ just reached a new low.
Re: FG To Distribute 10m Mobile Phones To Farmers by deesnipes(f): 10:28am On Jan 03, 2013
deesn[color=#006600:
[/color]ipes]Really? Really? And these pple think mobile fone is the next thing that farmers need? Who even told them they don't have fones? Have they considered villages with no light and network at all?
Then what is the job of an agricultural extension graduate( that is suppose to be d intermidiary between govt, research institutes and farmers)? So fone is going to replace them? Maybe agricultural extension and rural development as a course should just be removed from our higher institutions.
Am sure if they employ extension graduates in all states for these job the fg won't spend up to half of what they will be wasting on this so called project.
As the federal govt considered that what farmers need is loan facility without outrageous collaterals, subsidy on mechanized farm machineries, quality and affordable fertilizer, good seedlings, better roads for transport of produce to market and good storage facilities?
Seriously these farmers have mobe phones where their is network and they have their transistor radios for information on weather so what is the federal goverment talking about?
Really? Mobile phones?
Re: FG To Distribute 10m Mobile Phones To Farmers by redcliff: 10:52am On Jan 03, 2013
[size=15pt]NIGERIA GOVERNMENT IS RANKED NO 1 FOR HAVING MISPLACED PRIORITIES. HOW DOES 10M MOBILES PHONES BOOST AGRICULTURE? A PHONE SHOULD BE WORTH NOTHING LESS THAN N4000. DO THE MATHS. 10,000,000 x N4000 = 40000000000. IF I AM NOT MISTAKENED. WHY EVILZ PLZ.[/size]
Re: FG To Distribute 10m Mobile Phones To Farmers by badlucky: 10:52am On Jan 03, 2013
This is a very superb initiative. They should also decentralize professional Agriculturalists to meet the needs of rural dwellers. Stations hold be created at various local govt, so as to monitor, and coordinate activities of the farmers. Fertilizers, insecticide, and and other related chemicals should also be made available to farmers at zero or subsidized cost.
Re: FG To Distribute 10m Mobile Phones To Farmers by 1ndidi2(f): 10:58am On Jan 03, 2013
From BB broadcast:

Questions:
•Are they buying blackberry porsche for these farmers?
•Are they going to preload the Presidents number in all the phones? As the reason for the purchase is because they want the farmers to have direct contact with the Government.
•Who did the calculation and came up with 10million farmers? Was Obasanjo counted as well?
•Even @ N50,000 per phone....how does it come up to N60billion?
•If they're buying the phones in bulk,doesn't it attract a large volume of discount?
•Did the farmers complain that their problem is a mobile phone?

Possible facts:
•Maybe Obama will distribute the phones himself.
•Maybe the phones have inbuilt shovel and fertalizer in them.
•Maybe the phones have inbuilt tractors

1 Like

Re: FG To Distribute 10m Mobile Phones To Farmers by Jesuspikin87(m): 11:04am On Jan 03, 2013
Am ashamed...what is initiative about this?
Who doesn't own a mobile phone in this century?Huh?
Re: FG To Distribute 10m Mobile Phones To Farmers by egift(m): 11:17am On Jan 03, 2013
Buying 10million phones for farmers. They are getting the phones from China. What madness and out of touch they are.
Re: FG To Distribute 10m Mobile Phones To Farmers by sKy007: 2:21pm On Jan 03, 2013
I can only support this if and only if the phones will be manufactured in Nigeria.
Imagine creating jobs in another country and dumping the products here in Nigeria
Re: FG To Distribute 10m Mobile Phones To Farmers by Nobody: 2:24pm On Jan 03, 2013
Its a good policy to assist the farmers in any way we can. Its necessary to contact them on phone to know their desires, and make sure they receive the fertilizer subsidies.Legislatures are making millions i wonder why anyone should be against any parliatives to the farmers. For the morons saying its waste of money, u prefer the money to be siphoned to dubai?
Re: FG To Distribute 10m Mobile Phones To Farmers by SBabaJ(m): 2:27pm On Jan 03, 2013
BeraBera: It's a welcome development. Farmers need to be informed. They should know when their fertilizers and other entitlements are ready for collection, and where they are to be collected. It also becomes useful whenever their associations want to convene meetings.
It's not a bad idea at all.
The Radio Is More Effective For This.
Re: FG To Distribute 10m Mobile Phones To Farmers by Arosa(m): 2:37pm On Jan 03, 2013
What about the one wen them say they want give police that time dey don give them?
Re: FG To Distribute 10m Mobile Phones To Farmers by nagoma(m): 3:07pm On Jan 03, 2013
Billyonaire: Its a good policy to assist the farmers in any way we can. Its necessary to contact them on phone to know their desires, and make sure they receive the fertilizer subsidies.Legislatures are making millions i wonder why anyone should be against any parliatives to the farmers. For the morons saying its waste of money, u prefer the money to be siphoned to dubai?

"Legislators are making millions , so farmers can have phones." What kind of logic is this? Must legislators have the millions ? Is anybody suggesting a review and rationalization? Or just giving 10 million Chinese phones to " farmers" solves that?
Re: FG To Distribute 10m Mobile Phones To Farmers by SBabaJ(m): 3:12pm On Jan 03, 2013
No Needs Analysis Was Carried Out Before Arriving At This Decision. In The Same Vein, No Farmers Census Was Carried Out. We Can Have These Assumptions Because Both Are Large Scale Operations That Can Cannot Be Embarked On In Secret. We Can From These Deduce That The Government Does Not Have A Research-Backed Premise For This Policy. We Can Also Say , To An Extent, That The Figure, 10 Million, Is Guess Work.
Nigeria Has A Population Of 167 Million According To The NPC In August 2012 And According To The NCC, There Are 105.2 Million Active Lines In Nigeria....So It Is Safe To Say At Least One In Two Nigerians Have Phones Especially Given The Fact That Just 50.2% Of Nigerians Now Live In Rural Areas.
Over 60% Of Farmers In Nigeria Cannot Read And Write So The Use Of SMS To Pass Info Is Subject To Debate. Or Are Calls Going To Be Placed To These Farmers Periodically From Whence The Phones Are Delivered Thereby Incurring More Cost? Relevant And Related Research Also Show That Farmers Have The Radio And Extension Agents As Their Most Important/Preferred Source Of Agricultural Information. So Why The Choice Of Phones By The Government? Extension Agents Are Grossly Inadequate Nationwide, Kwara State For Example Has Just 86 Extension Agents. So Doesn't This Point to The Fact That Radio Is Still The Best Choice? It Has The Most Extensive Reach And It's Very Cost Effective, So Why Not Roll Out Massive Programmes In Indigenous Languages On Radio?
Since Most Farmers Cannot Read And Write, And These Days Even #3,000 Tecno Phones Come With Internet/Camera/Bluetooth Features, Will The Remaining #3,000 Go Towards Logistics And Miscellaneous Per Head? (Assuming #60b/10m phones=#6,000 per head)
It's Left To You To Decide Whether Phone Distribution Is Really A Good Idea.

1 Like

Re: FG To Distribute 10m Mobile Phones To Farmers by 1025: 3:19pm On Jan 03, 2013
i read this news two days ago and i was forced to call the teacher that tot us agric in school. i was so angry that he was begging me to calm down and talk to him. my annoyance was how he could over-look or forget to mention cell phone as a farm implement. in fact, the man started laughing and asked me how i want to start april fool in january.
abeg, how does cell phone relate with farming? round peg in a square hole. if u have a deal that brought 10 million cell phone into ur office, u can go about sharing everybody phone instead of saying farmers.
very soon, our fg will share spade to footballers.
Re: FG To Distribute 10m Mobile Phones To Farmers by get2abbey(m): 3:34pm On Jan 03, 2013
Billyonaire: Its a good policy to assist the farmers in any way we can. Its necessary to contact them on phone to know their desires, and make sure they receive the fertilizer subsidies.Legislatures are making millions i wonder why anyone should be against any parliatives to the farmers. For the morons saying its waste of money, u prefer the money to be siphoned to dubai?

mumu,as usual u will pretend not to see a farmer's comment below...gosh what is wrong with this pro jona guys .u guys are getting dumber and dumber.

logix4me:

Are you really serious? I am a farmer/blogger, and I can tell you first-hand, this young and old people in this profession are getting discourage in the hundreds due to lack of funds and incentives from the banks. Banks dont give us loan because farming is highly-risky, especially livestocks. Farmers need subsidy on agricultural implements and equipments. Do you know the cost of acquiring 1 acre of land within Ogun or Lagos (this is a primary asset when it comes to farming), then the secondary assets such as a tractor, sprinkler, etc! GEJ should realize he is wasting precious national time and should sack any minister who implements any selfish program. And this move is extremely annoying. I assure you, no farmer wants a mobile phone >:(![/b]
Re: FG To Distribute 10m Mobile Phones To Farmers by Nobody: 3:44pm On Jan 03, 2013
how will mobile phone boost agriculture?
Re: FG To Distribute 10m Mobile Phones To Farmers by nduchucks: 4:45pm On Jan 03, 2013
This is not a fund raising scheme to Jump start GEJ's 2015 ambition.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/229503_ROFLMAODog_gif3fa44b12f55ba64fc785c3a5794ba92e [/quote]
Re: FG To Distribute 10m Mobile Phones To Farmers by Arosa(m): 4:55pm On Jan 03, 2013
iv4fb: how will mobile phone boost agriculture?

There was a research that was carried out years back that claims that farmers can have a bumper harvest if they phone their crops periodically. I cant remember where this research was carried out though. grin grin grin cheesy
Re: FG To Distribute 10m Mobile Phones To Farmers by pheesayor(m): 7:43pm On Jan 03, 2013
We create wealth & employment for China everyday, they laugh at our folly as we spend foolishly & borrow from them when broke!
Re: FG To Distribute 10m Mobile Phones To Farmers by crackhouse(m): 8:23pm On Jan 03, 2013
another way to siphon money.
Re: FG To Distribute 10m Mobile Phones To Farmers by Nobody: 9:08pm On Jan 03, 2013
[size=18pt]Are there any serious farmer that does not already have mobile phones?

Shouldn't the N60bn be spent on agricultural equipment like tractors or machetes or fertilisers for small farmers?

How many of those "mobile phones" would be claimed by the famous farmer that is Thief Obasanjo?[/size]
Re: FG To Distribute 10m Mobile Phones To Farmers by Nobody: 9:08pm On Jan 03, 2013
Jonathan policies are unbelievably stupid

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Transformation Of Singapore From Swampland To Skyscrapers (pictures) / I Shall Remain Lawful No Matter The Provocation- Sheriff / Buhari's Aides Spotted Moving Out Things From Aso Rock (happening Now

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 120
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.