Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,739 members, 7,824,128 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 11:51 PM

Meet Ubuntu Phone Os. - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Meet Ubuntu Phone Os. (13280 Views)

For The First Time, Ubuntu Phone Goes On Sale In Europe / Rep Your Phone Os:android,bb Os,ios,symbian,windows OS.... / Nokia To Start Using Windows Phone OS (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Meet Ubuntu Phone Os. by 4llerbuntu(m): 9:23am On Jan 03, 2013
Kindly watch the whole video presentation. and let us have your view of the idea and delivery espoused by UBUNTU PHONE OS

[size=18pt]I AM SUPER EXCITED. [/size]

This potentially will take me away from pure android.... potentially.

Ubuntu is integrating my IT life seamlessly.

Ubuntu for phones is built around the same Linux kernel that Android uses and can use the drivers written for android, but doesn't use a Java Virtual Machine and also, it supports both ARM and x86 processors.

It's important to note that right now, Canonical tries to find manufacturers to ship with Ubuntu Phone OS, so there's not an actual phone, but only the platform.
Ubuntu phones aren’t yet available for purchase, but we are ready to start working with partners with an aim to releasing phones before the end of 2013.

Ubuntu for phones will make use of the installable web apps available in Ubuntu 12.10. Also, there's a QML-based Ubuntu SDK that developers can use to create native apps that work both on the desktop and the phone and then deliver them in the Ubuntu Software Center.

Ubuntu Phone OS comes with the same technology available in Ubuntu for Android: when docked, the phone turns into a full Ubuntu desktop

Advanced voice control

When running on phones Ubuntu can be controlled by the "head-up display" (Hud) option it introduced last year.

This allows users to type or say what command they want a program to carry out rather than having to click through menus.

"The Hud was born out of the phone design process,"

"The key question we were asking is how do we allow developers to express some of the deeper richer functionality that you get typically in a desktop application when they write for a phone.

"Typically phone and tablet applications are streamlined slimmed-down versions of stuff that might have existed in a more sophisticated complicated form on the PC.

"And in our world where all of the functionality is there... you can invoke the Hud on the phone and talk to it with voice recognition instead of typing in your command - so you could say [for instance] you want a photo in a 1930s style - and our R&grin effort is to make that natural."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpWHJDLsqTU

shorter video with a explanation and walkthrough

http://www.viddler.com/v/ac8413f3

1 Like

Re: Meet Ubuntu Phone Os. by 4llerbuntu(m): 9:27am On Jan 03, 2013
some ad shots

A version of the code will shortly be made available to developers to start adapting their apps.

The firm then plans to release a file for Galaxy Nexus phones by February, and later for other handsets and ultimately tablet computers as well.

Any new phone built for Android with at least a dual Cortex-A9 cores, a gig of RAM and 800 x 400 resolution could run this OS, should a manufacturer see merit in installing Ubuntu instead, and high spec 720p, quad-core phones should do wonders with it.

Re: Meet Ubuntu Phone Os. by 4llerbuntu(m): 9:43am On Jan 03, 2013
vlad has had a hands on.

still preety laggy.

demo device is a galaxy nexus
Re: Meet Ubuntu Phone Os. by Walexz02(m): 9:49am On Jan 03, 2013
Ubuntu?
Re: Meet Ubuntu Phone Os. by 4llerbuntu(m): 10:13am On Jan 03, 2013
YES UBUNTU!! dont be surprised. Open source just fully joined the Mobile Game!!!

"It's quite incredible that we're at this point when the power of the phone is crossing over that with baseline processing power of basic laptops," Mr Shuttleworth told the BBC.

"We're taking advantage of that so for the first time in history you have the full consumer PC platform available on a phone.

"I'm very confident if we look ahead over the next three to five years that's a transition that Apple is going to have to make... and if it's not Windows 9 it will be Windows 10 that will see Microsoft bring its phone and laptop together into one device. It's really cracking to do that ahead of everyone else."
Re: Meet Ubuntu Phone Os. by Okijajuju1(m): 10:17am On Jan 03, 2013
WHO IS UBUNTU

7 Likes

Re: Meet Ubuntu Phone Os. by 4llerbuntu(m): 10:18am On Jan 03, 2013
In case you are wondering why im so chuffed about this, the thing is:

You cannot begin to imagine the level of Devv-ing and hacking that will occur on this platform, no you can't

AOSP, CyanogenMod etc will be child's play compared with this.

Every thing on this WILL be fully open source and available. Nothing like complaining that binaries/blobs are closed and un-available.

I trust my guys, you will see performance at a whole new level on this. just wait for the first Binaries to be released in the next few weeks.

im willing to bet that the galaxy Nexus images will be ported so quickly to other devices

1 Like

Re: Meet Ubuntu Phone Os. by Denn(m): 10:22am On Jan 03, 2013
Okija_juju: WHO IS UBUNTU

another Juju from Planet Mars.....venom is more potent than the current potions found in Okija.

2 Likes

Re: Meet Ubuntu Phone Os. by 80million1: 10:25am On Jan 03, 2013
*speechless*
Re: Meet Ubuntu Phone Os. by harlos: 10:29am On Jan 03, 2013
Ubuntu
the name sounds like kpalasa phone, how strong is it and how much does it cost?
Re: Meet Ubuntu Phone Os. by KINGwax(m): 10:30am On Jan 03, 2013
nansense
Re: Meet Ubuntu Phone Os. by pak: 10:31am On Jan 03, 2013
4llerbuntu: In case you are wondering why im so chuffed about this, the thing is:

You cannot begin to imagine the level of Devv-ing and hacking that will occur on this platform, no you can't

AOSP, CyanogenMod etc will be child's play compared with this.

Every thing on this WILL be fully open source and available. Nothing like complaining that binaries/blobs are closed and un-available.

I trust my guys, you will see performance at a whole new level on this. just wait for the first Binaries to be released in the next few weeks.

im willing to bet that the galaxy Nexus images will be ported so quickly to other devices

bro, please be cautious, don't get too excited. You ever tried working on Maemo ?

It was essentially the same concept. Linux based ('open source' ?) OS which allows you to hack to your fill.

I invested so much of my time in exploring Maemo. Installed a debian image OS on the device. Ran desktop applications directly through my debian on the N900. I did a dual boot of android and Maemo, way before android devices became really popular . . . .

And what did I get for all my effort ? The Maemo got discountinued . . .

With that 'bitter experience' , I have become skeptical of 'wonderful' ideas that are yet to gain ground.
So for now am sticking with android development. While following the Ubuntu idea (And all other innovation) from the corner of my eyes

1 Like

Re: Meet Ubuntu Phone Os. by Maleeq(m): 10:31am On Jan 03, 2013
Nice....right about time.
Re: Meet Ubuntu Phone Os. by Nobody: 10:32am On Jan 03, 2013
Ubuntu is a Linux Operating system. U know, like Windows is an OS from Microsoft

I'm quite shocked at the amount of ppl asking what Ubuntu is, are y'all just feigning ignorance

3 Likes

Re: Meet Ubuntu Phone Os. by DJDOLA(m): 10:34am On Jan 03, 2013
Ubuntu what type of Fone name is that..well no wahala sha I no before some months now the fone will disaper like dbanj fone koko fone
Re: Meet Ubuntu Phone Os. by Nobody: 10:38am On Jan 03, 2013
na 4LLERUBUNTU

Okija_juju: WHO IS UBUNTU
Re: Meet Ubuntu Phone Os. by CY09: 10:38am On Jan 03, 2013
I know unenlightened fellows will come here to spew trash...For those who don't know, Ubuntu is a Linux based operating system...@ Post, i will be happy to have an Ubuntu Mobile phone...I presently use Ubuntu 12.04 on my system and all i can say is that it's been awesome!...I seldomly use windows.
Re: Meet Ubuntu Phone Os. by 4llerbuntu(m): 10:38am On Jan 03, 2013
pak:

bro, please be cautious, don't get too excited. You ever tried working on Maemo ?

It was essentially the same concept. Linux based ('open source' ?) OS which allows you to hack to your full.

I invested so much of my time in exploring Maemo. Installed a debian image OS on the device. Ran desktop applications directly through my debian on the N900. I did a dual boot of android and Maemo, way before android devices became really popular . . . .

And what did I get for all my effort ? The Maemo got discountinued . . .

With that 'bitter experience' , I have become skeptical of 'wonderful' ideas that are yet to gain ground.
So for now am sticking with android development. While following the Ubuntu idea (And all other innovation) from the corner of my eyes

Apples and Oranges.

1. Maemo was a project practically left on its own. Nokia backed it a bit then betrayed us.

This is backed by a committed Open Source Company. Microsoft got their mole into Nokia (Elop) and the rest is history

If you have noticed, the really thriving Linux Distros i.e Ubuntu and Red Hat are backed by companies committed to open source and not just hobbyists and profit making companies.

2. This a a Full Mobile OS, not an attempt to cramp a desktop OS on to the phone like we were doing before.

the desktop part comes with the UBUNTU FOR ANDROID project. and it is like two separate worlds existing side by side on the phone

i get the skepticism, but one thing i can vouch for is that Canonical do not take things up and ditch it along the way.

actually this is not new, the idea has been floated over 2 years ago. to see it come together is exhilarating.

i guess my fellow ubuntu users are now beginning to see why Ubuntu went with the Unity desktop and those much maligned innovations like HUD.

so, it will get supported well. believe me it will.

and thankfully, no one will come and tell us this looks like IOS or any other mobile OS out there now. so it IS possible to innovate. Linux has always innovated anyway
Re: Meet Ubuntu Phone Os. by Francheezy(m): 10:39am On Jan 03, 2013
'ubuntu'
hear d name 0f d 0.S, very disc0uraginG.
Re: Meet Ubuntu Phone Os. by Nobody: 10:40am On Jan 03, 2013
CY09: I know unenlightened fellows will come here to spew trash...For those who don't know, Ubuntu is a Linux based operating system...@ Post, i will be happy to have an Ubuntu Mobile phone...I presently use Ubuntu 12.04 on my system and all i can say is that it's been awesome!...I seldomly use windows.
Computer Science major??
Re: Meet Ubuntu Phone Os. by puskin: 10:42am On Jan 03, 2013
Kk.......the Ubuntu devs are feeling itchy and very over optimistic.
Fingers crossed, lemme see(I Hope it doesn't) whether it won't go the way of Maemo.
Re: Meet Ubuntu Phone Os. by DAvIt0(m): 10:44am On Jan 03, 2013
Let the porting begin!!
Re: Meet Ubuntu Phone Os. by 4llerbuntu(m): 10:47am On Jan 03, 2013
Shollypopz:
Computer Science major??

He is not. perhaps you need to actually "try" ubuntu

all u need is an internet connection. its is "easier" to use compared with even windows.

try it, before you shaft it

puskin: Kk.......the Ubuntu devs are feeling itchy and very over optimistic.
Fingers crossed, lemme see(I Hope it doesn't) whether it won't go the way of Maemo.

This is NOT a general, "please back me", project like maemo. we have been doing this for years, despite of all the put downs, the talk about little mind share and user base etc etc etc. Ubuntu has kept on going and improving. why would you think this is going to get ditched?

its not a company known for taking easy choices or routes. even on the desktop. did you follow the Unity deskop shall/Gnome/mint fiasco?
a lesser company would have given up its vision.

we play to win. Our Aim with this is to have a FULL CONVERGENCE of your IT Life. seamless convergence
Re: Meet Ubuntu Phone Os. by Nobody: 10:51am On Jan 03, 2013
@4lerubuntu: see this one, I have tried ubuntu, used for classes dude (required!)..... removed it after some time as I needed to download snow leopard. U don't have to preach to me about ubuntu, I know.
Re: Meet Ubuntu Phone Os. by Nobody: 10:53am On Jan 03, 2013
What language is that
Re: Meet Ubuntu Phone Os. by logica(m): 10:53am On Jan 03, 2013
The project will eventually merge with Android or die.
Re: Meet Ubuntu Phone Os. by 1stknight(m): 10:54am On Jan 03, 2013
SMH at people that doesns 't know what Ubuntu is.
Re: Meet Ubuntu Phone Os. by question(m): 10:58am On Jan 03, 2013
Sounds like BURUKUTU... the drink.
Re: Meet Ubuntu Phone Os. by harlos: 10:59am On Jan 03, 2013
question: Sounds like BURUKUTU... the drink.
lol grin cheesy
Re: Meet Ubuntu Phone Os. by snowprince01(m): 11:02am On Jan 03, 2013
Y d name ubuntu? Y not just U-bun ... Would hav sound better

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

How To Get Free 1GB And 100MB On MTN / Nigerian Subscribers Spend N602.6 Billion On Calls In Five Months - NCC / Xiaomi Beats Samsung To Top Spot In India’s Smartphone Market

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.