Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,288 members, 7,818,981 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 09:23 AM

Dont Be Unequally Yoked With Unbelievers!!! - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Dont Be Unequally Yoked With Unbelievers!!! (1112 Views)

Hell-bound Christians And Heaven-bound Unbelievers / Bible And Quran: Donot Be Unequally Yoked With Unbelievers. / Do Not Be Unequally Yoked Up With Unbelievers - Zac Poonen (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Dont Be Unequally Yoked With Unbelievers!!! by deshysmalls(m): 9:02pm On Jan 03, 2013
Hi Nairalanders, i am a christian by birth but not a fanatic i really dont care about what religion a person practice or denomination they belong to. My signature is ÍF YOU ARE NICE TO ME, I WILL RECIPROCATE.
Now my million Euros question is...
What exactly does the bible mean by Do not be unequally yoked with unbelievers and
Who exactly are these unbelievers?
Re: Dont Be Unequally Yoked With Unbelievers!!! by braine(m): 9:10pm On Jan 03, 2013
Unbelievers are those perceived as not serving God.

I believe the unbelievers/atheists are not that bad; even the so called belivers that appear to serve God are not any better.

I believe in just being good, whether you believe in God or not, besides, its common sense that the bible teaches.
Re: Dont Be Unequally Yoked With Unbelievers!!! by deshysmalls(m): 9:22pm On Jan 03, 2013
I agree with you bruv but if we believe the so called unbelievers are atheists, why then do some Christians also address the Muslims as unbelievers?
braine: Unbelievers are those perceived as not serving God.

I believe the unbelievers/atheists are not that bad; even the so called believers that appear to serve God are not any better.

I believe in just being good, whether you believe in God or not, besides, its common sense that the bible teaches.
Re: Dont Be Unequally Yoked With Unbelievers!!! by anukulapo: 10:04pm On Jan 03, 2013
Do you mean "don't be equally yoked with unbelievers"?

Just asking anyways--na kings james english sha. LOL
Re: Dont Be Unequally Yoked With Unbelievers!!! by deshysmalls(m): 10:13pm On Jan 03, 2013
Well its been a while since i read my bible but if i hear correctly i think its UNEQUALLY i stand to be corrected sha cheesy
anukulapo: Do you mean "don't be equally yoked with unbelievers"?

Just asking anyways--na kings james english sha. LOL
Re: Dont Be Unequally Yoked With Unbelievers!!! by ijawkid(m): 11:06pm On Jan 03, 2013
It has to deal primarily with persons who once upheld scriptural truths but abandoned them for falsehood....it does extend to heathens..........these are the unbelievers.....but no scripture says we shouldn't reciprocrate kindness to unbelievers...it only warns us not to be unevenly yoked with them......
Re: Dont Be Unequally Yoked With Unbelievers!!! by Goshen360(m): 11:16pm On Jan 03, 2013
What does that scripture mean? If you don't relate with unbelievers, how do you witness Christ to them? Huh?

Okay....#ReadingFromSidelineAndFollowing
Re: Dont Be Unequally Yoked With Unbelievers!!! by ijawkid(m): 11:32pm On Jan 03, 2013
Goshen360: What does that scripture mean? If you don't relate with unbelievers, how do you witness Christ to them? Huh?

Okay....#ReadingFromSidelineAndFollowing

Érmm my elder bro how do you see this scripture.......1 corinthians 5:9-11
immoral, or the greedy and swindlers, or
idolaters. In that case you would have to leave
this world. 11 But now I am writing to you that
you must not associate with anyone who claims
to be a brother or sister[c] but is sexually
immoral or greedy, an idolater or slanderer, a
drunkard or swindler. Do not even eat with
such people.
Re: Dont Be Unequally Yoked With Unbelievers!!! by UjSizzle(f): 1:15am On Jan 04, 2013
Wetin followership dey cause.

I think that scripture is basically saying while dealing with unbelievers, you should be careful enough not to let their lifestyle influence you and change ur beliefs....
Stay away from people who can be a negative influence on you and yet be willing to show love and help when they need it.
Re: Dont Be Unequally Yoked With Unbelievers!!! by tpia5: 2:07am On Jan 04, 2013
Anything that yokes you with unbelievers is to be avoided.

Yoke meaning or implying idolatry, s.exual sin, etc.

Things that bind you and your body.

Its an unequal yoke because you serve different masters.

However, general interaction wouldnt be a yoke imo since no man is an island and interaction is a fact of life.

1 Like

Re: Dont Be Unequally Yoked With Unbelievers!!! by OmoAlata(f): 2:15am On Jan 04, 2013
deshysmalls: why then do some Christians also address the Muslims as unbelievers?

The Moslems also call the Christians unbelievers i.e. Kaferi. I first heard it from my friends dad. My friend, Bilikisu, nice girl. I visited their house and her dad told her in my earshot, "what are you doing with that kaferi"? cry
Re: Dont Be Unequally Yoked With Unbelievers!!! by tpia5: 2:17am On Jan 04, 2013
For example, can someone claim to be a christian yet visit nl sexuality section regularly, like i did once.

I am not easily swayed by that kind of thing, and at the time, i felt the sexuality section posters might be feeling they were in a protective cocoon of x ratings, so thats why i decided to check out the place and remind them its not so.

Was i unequally yoked while i was there?

I dont think i was, but its not something i'd advise people to do randomly because you are not me, and the fact that i did it doesnt necessarily mean others should, since you dont know if that's where you're supposed to be at that time.

Is this confusing?
Re: Dont Be Unequally Yoked With Unbelievers!!! by AtheistD(m): 10:46am On Jan 04, 2013
Sigh
undecided

Xtians. Always looking for excuses to discriminate.

The OP has a point. If you avoid being close or friends with unbelievers then why should they take you or your book of fables seriously?

Didnt Christ hang with prostitutes? If that was today he would have been condemned bu 2/3rds of christendom.
Re: Dont Be Unequally Yoked With Unbelievers!!! by tpia5: 1:25pm On Jan 04, 2013
If you must comment, do so without fighting unnecessarily, thanks.

So far, there's nothing aggravating about the thread, not sure why you feel aggravated.

Its just a discussion.
Re: Dont Be Unequally Yoked With Unbelievers!!! by anukulapo: 4:07pm On Jan 05, 2013
deshysmalls: Well its been a while since i read my bible but if i hear correctly i think its UNEQUALLY i stand to be corrected sha cheesy

Yeah,that's how the bible(king james version) puts it. I'm just trying to make US come our of king james' grammatical box(it's not twisting of the scripture,it's just correction of the grammar--so it should not be hard to swallow)

It should be "...be ye unequally yoked..." OR "...be ye not equally yoked..."

Just passing sha. No big deal attached. smiley
Re: Dont Be Unequally Yoked With Unbelievers!!! by Godssword1(m): 6:40am On Jul 19, 2019

(1) (Reply)

The wicked art of deception, manipulation and extortion in churches / Please, Can We Ban Religion? / The MEME Thread! Post Your Meme's Of All Beliefs Here! Only Text On Image Here!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.