Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,835 members, 7,810,213 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 12:03 AM

Do Not Be Unequally Yoked Up With Unbelievers - Zac Poonen - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Do Not Be Unequally Yoked Up With Unbelievers - Zac Poonen (3170 Views)

Hell-bound Christians And Heaven-bound Unbelievers / Bible And Quran: Donot Be Unequally Yoked With Unbelievers. / Always Put God First In Your Life ( Tithing ) - By Zac Poonen (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Do Not Be Unequally Yoked Up With Unbelievers - Zac Poonen by Nobody: 3:37pm On Feb 28, 2011
The Bible commands us: "Do not be unequally yoked up with unbelievers - do not make mismatched alliances with them" (2 Cor. 6:14).

The yoke is a very clear symbol of marriage. The picture is of two oxen pulling a plough together - symbolizing a husband and a wife united and working together for the Lord. In the Old Testament, God's people were forbidden to plough with an ox and an ass together (Deut. 22:10), because these two animals had different natures. The believer too has a different nature from the unbeliever. Hence the Bible also says, "How can light and darkness share life together? How can there be harmony between Christ and the Devil? What can a believer have in common with an unbeliever?" (2 Cor. 6:14,15 - JBP).

It is obvious that if you as a child of God marry an unbeliever (who is a child of the Devil-John 8:44; 1 John 3:10), your father-in-law will be the Devil himself! With such a father-in-law, you can be sure of endless trouble for the rest of your life.

Some believers may contend that if one marries an unbeliever, he can thereby save a soul from Hell. But if that argument were a valid one, surely an All-wise God would have urged all believers to marry unbelievers! Why hasn't He done so in His Word? Surely because He never intended marriage to be a method of saving souls. And so, no-one can expect the Lord to back him if he adopts such an un-Scriptural soul-winning scheme! If your partner is not converted prior to marriage, it is unlikely that she/he will be thereafter.

In any case, a believer who marries an unbeliever, does so in clear violation of the command of Scripture and in outright disobedience to his Lord. It would therefore be presumptuous on his part to ask God to bless his wedding.

The Lord can never, under any circumstances, sanction the marriage of a child of His with an unbeliever. (And let me repeat here, lest it be forgotten, that a nominal Christian is as much an unbeliever as a non-Christian or an atheist.) It is pointless quoting the example of some believer whose unconverted partner was converted after marriage, for you are to be governed by the Word of God and not by the example of others. Those who desire God's best should determine that they would rather remain single than be married to an unbeliever.

http://www.cfcindia.com/web/mainpages/word_for_the_week.php?display=02_04&year=11
Re: Do Not Be Unequally Yoked Up With Unbelievers - Zac Poonen by GreyBeard: 12:25pm On Mar 01, 2011
frosbel:

(And let me repeat here, lest it be forgotten, that a nominal Christian is as much an unbeliever as a non-Christian or an atheist.)

And where is this in the Bible?
Re: Do Not Be Unequally Yoked Up With Unbelievers - Zac Poonen by DGIPLUS(m): 5:09pm On Mar 01, 2011
@Grey Beard, FYI
----I know thy works, that thou art neither cold nor hot: I would thou wert cold or hot. So then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spue thee out of my mouth. -Revelation 3:15,16
Re: Do Not Be Unequally Yoked Up With Unbelievers - Zac Poonen by GreyBeard: 6:21pm On Mar 01, 2011
DGI-PLUS:

@Grey Beard, FYI
----I know thy works, that thou art neither cold nor hot: I would thou wert cold or hot. So then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spue thee out of my mouth. -Revelation 3:15,16
Do you deliberately quote biblical scripture out of context or do u just repeat someone elses quote parrot fashion?
If u take the time to read Rev 3 properly you'll see that that statement was specifically directed at the Church of the Laodiceans. And that wasn't all they were doing.
You can't go around selecting verses from the Bible and then applying them to a different situation as it suits you.
Re: Do Not Be Unequally Yoked Up With Unbelievers - Zac Poonen by DGIPLUS(m): 12:29pm On Mar 03, 2011
Grey Beard:

Do you deliberately quote biblical scripture out of context or do u just repeat someone elses quote parrot fashion?
If u take the time to read Rev 3 properly you'll see that that statement was specifically directed at the Church of the Laodiceans. And that wasn't all they were doing.
You can't go around selecting verses from the Bible and then applying them to a different situation as it suits you.

---All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness. That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works. -2Tim.3:16,17

Simply put - If you're a lukewarm Christian like the Laodiceans, same measure will be applied to you.
NB: It's not about scoring points against ourselves; it's about pointing out the TRUTH. Lots of Love.
Re: Do Not Be Unequally Yoked Up With Unbelievers - Zac Poonen by GreyBeard: 10:08pm On Mar 03, 2011
DGI-PLUS:

---All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness. That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works. -2Tim.3:16,17

Simply put - If you're a lukewarm Christian like the Laodiceans, same measure will be applied to you.
NB: It's not about scoring points against ourselves; it's about pointing out the TRUTH. Lots of Love.

No one is suggesting that "Lukewarm" Christians and "Hot" Christians are exactly the same. They are at different levels of spiritual growth. Like a pastor and a church member. So I wouldnt go as far as grouping lukewarm christians with unbelievers. Afterall I could quote all day from the Bible about what really awaits unbelievers. If you are taking this verse as the justification for unbelievers and lukewarmers being one and the same then you've sadly been misled.
Re: Do Not Be Unequally Yoked Up With Unbelievers - Zac Poonen by DGIPLUS(m): 5:00pm On Mar 04, 2011
Grey Beard:

No one is suggesting that "Lukewarm" Christians and "Hot" Christians are exactly the same. They are at different levels of spiritual growth. Like a pastor and a church member. So I wouldnt go as far as grouping lukewarm christians with unbelievers. Afterall I could quote all day from the Bible about what really awaits unbelievers. If you are taking this verse as the justification for unbelievers and lukewarmers being one and the same then you've sadly been misled.

Thank you, but you must understand that lukewarmness is not an acceptable level of spiritual growth, but a state chosen by Christians who still seek acceptance from the world and do not want to be tagged fanatics (they are still ashamed of standing for The Truth every time & every where).
I rest my case here, yielding to Apostle Paul's advice------But foolish & unlearned questions avoid, knowing that they do gender strifes. And the servant of the Lord must not strive; but be gentle unto all men, apt to teach, patient, in meekness instructing those that oppose themselves; if God peradventure will give them repentance to the acknowledging of The Truth. And that they may recover themselves out of the snare of the devil. - 2Tim.2:23-26
Re: Do Not Be Unequally Yoked Up With Unbelievers - Zac Poonen by seyibrown(f): 6:24pm On Mar 06, 2011
@ OP

The best advice against 'unequal yoking' is testimony from those who have yoked themselves in disobedience or those who married whilst in 'unbelief' but later believed while their partner remained unbelieveing. Most people do not understand that it is very difficult for a spiritually minded person to have a fleshly minded person as their life partner. It carries disastrous consequences in many cases with damage to physical, emotional, mental and spiritual well-being.

Everything God says not to do is for our own good. He sees the bigger picture but we don't.
Re: Do Not Be Unequally Yoked Up With Unbelievers - Zac Poonen by hercules07: 6:29pm On Mar 06, 2011
So what do you guys say to people who are of different religion and have been happily married for decades, this part of the scripture is just going to cause confusion, one should use one's common sense when it concerns religion.
Re: Do Not Be Unequally Yoked Up With Unbelievers - Zac Poonen by GreyBeard: 2:14pm On Mar 08, 2011
DGI-PLUS:

Thank you, but you must understand that lukewarmness is not an acceptable level of spiritual growth, but a state chosen by Christians who still seek acceptance from the world and do not want to be tagged fanatics (they are still ashamed of standing for The Truth every time & every where).
I rest my case here, yielding to Apostle Paul's advice------But foolish & unlearned questions avoid, knowing that they do gender strifes. And the servant of the Lord must not strive; but be gentle unto all men, apt to teach, patient, in meekness instructing those that oppose themselves; if God peradventure will give them repentance to the acknowledging of The Truth. And that they may recover themselves out of the snare of the devil. - 2Tim.2:23-26

Dude, your argument is extremely weak. That's probably why you keep on trying to side-track the issue.
The issue here isn't about the different levels of spiritual growth. That's a different discussion. The issue is about you claiming that unbelievers (those who do not believe in the doctrine of Jesus Christ) and lukewarm believers (those who do but are for whatever reason are at a less than adequate level of spiritual growth) are one and the same.

And the truth is that they are not. They are clearly different.
If you are promoting the idea that people at different levels of spiritual growth should not be 'yoked' together - then that sounds like a sound logical lifestyle. Should a Pastor marry a new convert - probably not.

But stating that lukewarm believers and complete unbelievers are the same has no scriptural basis and really comes from the personal interpretations of some over-zealous preachers.
Re: Do Not Be Unequally Yoked Up With Unbelievers - Zac Poonen by Jenwitemi(m): 2:50pm On Mar 08, 2011
Such cases are only made possible through the devil's deception. Shey, you know. grin wink
hercules07:

So what do you guys say to people who are of different religion and have been happily married for decades, this part of the scripture is just going to cause confusion, one should use one's common sense when it concerns religion.
Re: Do Not Be Unequally Yoked Up With Unbelievers - Zac Poonen by Nobody: 4:01pm On Mar 08, 2011
seyibrown:

@ OP

The best advice against 'unequal yoking' is testimony from those who have yoked themselves in disobedience or those who married whilst in 'unbelief' but later believed while their partner remained unbelieveing. Most people do not understand that it is very difficult for a spiritually minded person to have a fleshly minded person as their life partner. It carries disastrous consequences in many cases with damage to physical, emotional, mental and spiritual well-being.

Everything God says not to do is for our own good. He sees the bigger picture but we don't.

absolutely spot on.

However for those who have already made the mistake, there is hope.

Unlike Muhammad , Jesus Christ is merciful and always offers hope for the repentant.

" To the married I give this command (not I, but the Lord): A wife must not separate from her husband. But if she does, she must remain unmarried or else be reconciled to her husband. And a husband must not divorce his wife.

To the rest I say this (I, not the Lord): If any brother has a wife who is not a believer and she is willing to live with him, he must not divorce her. And if a woman has a husband who is not a believer and he is willing to live with her, she must not divorce him. For the unbelieving husband has been sanctified through his wife, and the unbelieving wife has been sanctified through her believing husband. Otherwise your children would be unclean, but as it is, they are holy.

But if the unbeliever leaves, let it be so. The brother or the sister is not bound in such circumstances; God has called us to live in peace. How do you know, wife, whether you will save your husband? Or, how do you know, husband, whether you will save your wife? " 1 Corinthians 7:10 - 16
Re: Do Not Be Unequally Yoked Up With Unbelievers - Zac Poonen by Godssword1(m): 6:42am On Jul 19, 2019
Re: Do Not Be Unequally Yoked Up With Unbelievers - Zac Poonen by davidinchrist(m): 8:21pm On Jul 28, 2020
***(And let me repeat here, lest it be forgotten, that a nominal Christian is as much an unbeliever as a non-Christian or an atheist.)

GreyBeard:

And where is this in the Bible?

Matt.23.15 - "Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you TRAVEL land and sea to win ONE proselyte, and when he is won, you make him TWICE as much a SON of HELL as yourselves.

Matt.15.8 - "These people draw near to Me with their MOUTH, And honor Me with their LIPS, But their HEART IS FAR from Me.

Matt.15.9 - And in VAIN they worship Me, Teaching as doctrines the commandments of men."'

Titus.1.16 - They PROFESS to know God, but in WORKS they deny Him, being abominable, disobedient, and disqualified for every good work.

(1) (Reply)

why Are Women So Useless? / A Very Atheist Christmas / The Miracle Of Sleeping And Waking Up

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.